FUN U2 quotes.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I've really been enjoying the 'we're not ready to retire' quotes from the guys lately.
Adam: You know, there probably isnt a better gig out there, so what else would I do? I'm not sure that I'm that into trout.
Interviewer: Golf?
Adam: No! Terrible clothes!

"I'm not sure what else we could do. I think we're all pretty unemployable right now." - The Edge

And there was that one from Larry they showed on VH1 during the Beautiful Day video. Something like "When you reach a certain age, people expect you to go away and get into antiques or something. We're just not ready for that."

------------------
I had the loudest mouth. When we formed the group, I was the lead guitar player, singer and songwriter. Nobody talked back at first. But then they talked me out of being lead guitar player and into being the rythm guitar player and into just being the singer. And then they tried to talk me out of being the singer and into being the manager. But I held on to that. Arrogance may have been the reason. - Bono

As a vehicle it has its limitations: it probably wouldn't get you to work and back. But it could make someone a fantastic cocktail bar. - Edge on the lemon

[This message has been edited by numbededge (edited 01-05-2002).]

Originally posted by numbededge:
Personally, I've really been enjoying the 'we're not ready to retire' quotes from the guys lately.
Adam: You know, there probably isnt a better gig out there, so what else would I do? I'm not sure that I'm that into trout.

"I'm not sure what else we could do. I think we're all pretty unemployable right now." - The Edge

And there was that one from Larry they showed on VH1 during the Beautiful Day video. Something like "When you reach a certain age, people expect you to go away and get into antiques or something. We're just not ready for that."

these are great quotes.....i especially like the adam one..hee hee
biggrin.gif

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
She is the dreamer....she's imagination

Hmmmm....Adam on the Grammys

"I don't have a problem with awards of merit going to whomever they are deeming whatever it is worthy of recognition. But there is so much puffing up of the chest that the Grammys are in some way a significant artistic achievement, which I find offensive. It's stupid to deny the effect of a good performance at the Grammys, but you're not really going along as an artist - you're going along as a performer, as a press item, as a piece of television. And that's really the worst way in which to receive something that is about the merit of your work. For us the balance is the wrong way." - Adam (U2 At the End of the World 178)

Adam on women's issues:
smile.gif

"I'll tell you. You learn a lot about women from dressing up in women's clothes! You learn that when a woman asks you, 'Do I look all right?' what she's really saying is, 'I have just spent a lot of time making myself uncomfortable. If I go out in this condition will I look foolish, or is it worth it?' When you ask a woman to go out to dinner it's not like asking one of your mates. She has to stop and think, 'Hmm, dinner. That will be four hours of being uncomfortable.' And if she says yes and then after four hours you say, 'Let's go dancing, let's go to a club,' and she says, 'No, I want to go home,' it's because she has figured on four hours and now those four hours are up and she can only think of getting home and out of those clothes!" - Adam (U2 At the End of the World 281)

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:
i think this is the one you are referring to ....

"I must say, I don't feel very qualified to be a pop star. I don't think I'm a very good pop star and I feel awkward at times in the role. I think there are other people far better suited than me. I sometimes think it might have been a mistake -you picked the wrong guy! Look, I'm built more like a mechanic or something, a carpenter. I mean, take a look at these hands- these are the hands of a bricklayer." - Bono, 1987

YES!
thank you thank you thank you!

It would be wrong for me to say, "Yes, we can change the world with a song" -but every time I try writing, that's where I'm at. I'm not stupid. I'm aware of the futility of rock 'n' roll music. But I'm also aware of it's power. - Bono

From the U2.com chat w/ Edge-he had many funnies in that one!

moderator> <skytree> U2Question from skytree: You look like Spock. Are you sure you aren't a Vulcan hiding your pointy ears under your hats?

<edge> Beam me up Scottie!

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Adam:"...I've not been to see much at all in the way of films although one recent rainy Sunday afternoon I made the mistake of going to see The Flintstones which was absolutely unadulterated crap..." When asked But apart from that you've been taking time off. What do you do all the time when there's no U2 to be in? is it like a holiday, are you doing research or what?

That struck me as funny yesterday, cause that movie is crap. LOL! Oh and "Mature U2 sounds like old cheese!" hehe!

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

More from that chat...

U2Question from got_edge: WHY ARE YOU SUCH A GENIUS?

<edge> I'm glad you asked me that MUM...

U2Question from U2isABLE: Edge - why do you keep getting beat up on in your videos? First New Year's Day (walking in the cold w/o any fire), then Numb, and now the US Version of Stuck in a Moment! Why you?

<edge> I suppose I filled out the wrong form when I joined the band, definitely the best gig is being the manager. Lots of lunches etc

U2Question from giddyup: What is it like being the most talented member in the band?

<edge> I'm sure you say that to all the guys

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

This thread is worth some bumping!! I just love it!! So many amazing quotes, some that even brought me to tears.

And I was lucky enough to be right under the lemon when "stuck in a lemon you can't get out of" was created.
biggrin.gif
All I saw was the eight feet, and how they started to walk around inside the lemon. LOL

I love my sig, also about being "their people".
There were also alot of nice quotes in the Much Music interview from Toronto May 25th. I can't recent them right now though.
frown.gif

Keep the quotes coming!!
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

how could I miss this thread???

better get myself together now.

as for a quote, well, there is always my sig, in case you haven?t seen it
biggrin.gif

oh yeah, when a friend of mine met Adam last year and told him about me (Adam knows I exist!!!) he said:

"She?s definately a girl in the know!"

YAY!

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
"Being born and dying are the two most important things that happen in your life, and you don't have any control over either of them." (not sure if that is quite how he said it..) lol, I'm so strange..
smile.gif

not that strange...I love this quote.

Originally posted by numbededge:

Adam-the-(non)sportsman is very funny! I also like the quote from a recent Q article where Adam goes to Central Park in NY:

"Today we're going to do something healthy," he announces in his curiously posh drawl, unfolding his deckchair and removing his T-shirt. "We're going to watch other people exercise."

... He's so bad!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Burning_Azalea (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by AM:

oh yeah, when a friend of mine met Adam last year and told him about me (Adam knows I exist!!!) he said:

YAY!

Did he say that about you being an Adam girl?
^_^

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

Originally posted by Burning_Azalea:
Adam-the-(non)sportsman is very funny! I also like the quote from a recent Q article where Adam goes to Central Park in NY:

"Today we're going to do something healthy," he announces in his curiously posh drawl, unfolding his deckchair and removing his T-shirt. "We're going to watch other people exercise."

... He's so bad!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Burning_Azalea (edited 01-08-2002).]

Adam and I share the same attitude towards exercise. There are too many times when I have been flipping through the channels on the TV and stopped and watched one of those exercise programs on PBS, and actually watched it for like 15 minutes because there was nothing better on.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

I got the book 'Walk On - aspirituell journey with U2' and in the foreword it is this most amazing quote from Bono taken from an inteview for Rolling Stone. Here it is.

"God is in the room, more then Elvis. It feels like there's a blessing on the band right now. People are saying they're feeling shivers - well, the band as well. And I don't know what that is but it feels like God is walking through the room and it feels like a blessing and in the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it's not just about airplay or chartpositions."

Go and buy the book, all of you. I just got it yesterday and haven't read much but it's amazing so far. And have given me alot of answers. I just love it!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
I got the book 'Walk On - aspirituell journey with U2' and in the foreword it is this most amazing quote from Bono taken from an inteview for Rolling Stone. Here it is.

"God is in the room, more then Elvis. It feels like there's a blessing on the band right now. People are saying they're feeling shivers - well, the band as well. And I don't know what that is but it feels like God is walking through the room and it feels like a blessing and in the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it's not just about airplay or chartpositions."

Go and buy the book, all of you. I just got it yesterday and haven't read much but it's amazing so far. And have given me alot of answers. I just love it!!!
smile.gif

It sounds like a great book, and what a beautiful quote. I was thinking about buying this book over the weekend, but I was not sure. thanks for recommendation.
biggrin.gif

The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate Passengers.

Selected Quotes on Passengers....

I don't get it!
confused.gif
Where are they going with this, and most importantly where are Adam & Larry????- Maria 1995

I get it...it's a great record! - Maria 1997
biggrin.gif

A good reason for doing Passengers...getting Larry to move from the left-hand side of his brain...get him out of his garage, out from under his car, get him into some arty stuff. - Bono

Larry just doesn't like it because we hardly let him play the drums. - Bono

It gave us an opportunity to work with Brian again, it gave us an opportunity to meet HowieB and work with him, and it gave us Miss Sarajevo, so all in all I think it was a good experience in my point of view - Adam

Passengers was a result of that collaboration (with Brian Eno)...a soundtrack album without a movie..uhm..not Larry's favorite U2 album of all time. - Edge

It was self indulgence - Larry

As a soundtrack to a movie it makes sense...
it made no sense as an album - Larry

------------------
When you look at the world
What is it that you see?

*+*MaRiA*+*

I have noticed that Bono loves to pick on Edgie...the poor guy!

Now I only have one quote, but I know there are others out there! Your mission, should you choose to accept it Pleba ladies... *Mission Impossible music plays in the background as you read this*
biggrin.gif

Find those quotes!

Here is the one quote I found...
biggrin.gif

On the last couple of records we started with shoes...you know, on this record pOp we started with Edge's mustache...you know there is alot of music you can't play when a guy that looks like Edge is in your band.
- Bono

------------------
What is it that you see?

*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by AM:
how could I miss this thread???

better get myself together now.

as for a quote, well, there is always my sig, in case you haven?t seen it
biggrin.gif

YAY!

Yaaayyyy! that is sooooo cool AM!!!
smile.gif
Adam ROCKS!!!

------------------
Love don't need to find a way
You find your own way
I forget that I can't stay
And so I say that
All roads lead to where you are
All roads lead to where you are
~ Love Comes Tumbling

*+*MaRiA*+*

I like this one-Bono from George Magazine

Did you ever stand onstage and think, What if I told these
people to go jump off a bridge?

You know what they would do? Just go home. Look, we have
our share of a**holes that come see us. Onstage as well.
[Laughs]. I'm one of them at times. But our audiences are very
smart, and if we abuse that relationship it would simply end. If I
told people how to vote, they would tell me, 'Go f*** yourself."

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
and to think i was just gonna mention that this thread will never grow like the pictures thread, although it's just as good if not better than pics
smile.gif

80 posts later, you were saying?

Originally posted by elizabeth:
80 posts later, you were saying?

...thanks to everyone for their contributions and comments on the quotes!
smile.gif

------------------
What is it that you see?

*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
I like this one-Bono from George Magazine

Did you ever stand onstage and think, What if I told these
people to go jump off a bridge?

You know what they would do? Just go home. Look, we have
our share of a**holes that come see us. Onstage as well.
[Laughs]. I'm one of them at times. But our audiences are very
smart, and if we abuse that relationship it would simply end. If I
told people how to vote, they would tell me, 'Go f*** yourself."

This one is great! Has anybody here not read the '88 (I think) Bono interview in Rolling Stone? You definately should. It has a part like the above, but the interviewer argues with him about U2 fans being mindless.
rolleyes.gif
Bono defends us, it's a great exchange! It's kinda long, but I'd love to post it here for people who haven't read it. Should I?

------------------
Laura
~~~
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

Originally posted by On The Edge:
This one is great! Has anybody here not read the '88 (I think) Bono interview in Rolling Stone? You definately should. It has a part like the above, but the interviewer argues with him about U2 fans being mindless.
rolleyes.gif
Bono defends us, it's a great exchange! It's kinda long, but I'd love to post it here for people who haven't read it. Should I?

Please do, I don't think I've seen it before! Thanks!
smile.gif

------------------
What is it that you see?

*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:
Please do, I don't think I've seen it before! Thanks!
smile.gif

I can't find it online. I'll have to get home and type it up. An hour or so. K?

------------------
Laura
~~~
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

Originally posted by On The Edge:
I can't find it online. I'll have to get home and type it up. An hour or so. K?

thanks! hope it's not too much trouble. i'll be by later on tonight!

------------------
What is it that you see?

*+*MaRiA*+*

That is so awesome that Bono defended us like that. I like all kinds of mucic, and I have to say that U2 fans are amond the most intelligent and socially-aware fans. Bono's probably right ... if he l=told us to jump of a cliff, we'd tell him to f--- off.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

thanks for posting the interview! i love what he said! he is the coolest! i love Bono, just don't tell Adam that!!!
wink.gif

------------------
What is it that you see?

*+*MaRiA*+*

B That kind? No. There are other kinds of power - the kinds that are not seen - that worry me. If you could see into the dressing rooms and offices of a lot of bands in our position, you would see the real abuse of power. Like making a promoter crawl because you are paying his wages; like making the road crew wait for four hours because you are late for a sound check; like the sexual abuse of people who are turned on by your music. I don't know whether I am guilty of all of those. Maybe I am. But that is the type of power I worry about in rock & roll.

biggrin.gif

[/B]

Oh my GOD how I love this man!

::swoon::

SD

Back
Top Bottom