Freezing the arse of in Copenhagen - together with Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks girls (and guy! :wink: )!

Here's the promised update:

-----------------------------------------------------

Does Bono have a thing for Copenhagen when we have extreme weather? :huh: And what exactly is he doing on an absolutely freezing (- 10C, ca. 10 cm. snow) winter day in Copenhagen? :lol:

As you can read on atU2.com or U2.se:
At the request of the ”Børsen Executive Club”, Bono will address a group of the club's members on topics such as free trade and third world poverty. He is expected to leave Copenhagen following the lecture.

So, in short terms he was here to give a 1-hour speach to business leaders, who had payed +1000EURO to hear him (thats the membership fee for the club)...

Well, I’m not leading any business (yet!) and I certainly do not have +1000EURO to spend just like that (and if I did, I could think to better ways to spend them U2-wise...), but no matter the reason Bono is in town – its always a nice oppotunity for a shigting or maybe even... a meeting! :wink:

So I started the day, hearing on the radio that Bono was going to talk to the development minister (about the so-called “debt relief” that Denmark is giving to 8 African countries) – so I started thinking how Bonos day here might be planned and when he might arrive at ‘Tivoli’ where he was going to give his speach :hmm: ... I came up with the conclusion that he wasn’t going to be very early then (since the ministry is in the other end of town and Bono isn’t exactly famous for keeping schedules), so being at “Tivoli” at 2pm when ‘check-in’ for the guests started would be just fine I figured.

So I arrived at “Tivoli” just a few minutes past 2pm and the first thing I see is the development minister talking to a TV-crew outside “Tivoli” – and she wasn’t wearing any coat! Not a good sign since Bono was going to talk to her – I figured that instead of talking to her at the ministry, she came to talk to him in “Tivoli” before the speach (and was comming out for a few minutes to tell the TV-crew what they talked about, before going back in to hear Bonos speach), which would mean that Bono was already inside and that I has missed him!

Well, I thought that I might as well stay around, just to be sure that I wasn’t going to miss him. So I started waiting around the main entrance (with an already freezing arse, because of the 30 min bike ride downtown! :lol: )... Lots of taxies and big Mercedes’, Audi’s and BMW’s with black windows rolled up to the main entrance, but no Bono to be seen anywhere.

At 3pm Bono started his speach, so by that time I left “Tivoli” – so I knew for sure I’d missed him! Shite! :(

But the story continues... :wink:

I knew he should end the speach at 4pm, so I spend the waiting biking down to the libary with some journals I had borrowed... not very interesting :lol:, so fast forward about 1 hour to 5 minutes to 4pm, when I was back at “Tivoli”.

I first went to the main entrance, but the gates were closed, no people to be seen anywhere. A bit strange... so I took a walk around “Tivoli” (by this time not able to feel half of my legs – from the knees up – because I had biked and was now walking against the freezing wind), ‘cause I had the thought that Bono might, just might, be using another entrance.

On the other side of the main entrance, at the back entrance to “Tivoli”, a small group of people had gathered – I didn’t talked to any of them, just seeing them standing there made me sure that Bono would use that back entrance instead. So I hurrried back to the front entrance to pick up my bike, and hurried even more back to the small group of people at the back entrance.

I was very :reject: and didn’t really talk to any of them (later realising that one of the persons in the group was a fellow Interference-member – ups!) – and you should know, I’m usually not at all a shy person, but when it comes to meeting U2-members... it’s like my whole system goes into over-drive inside me, but instead of getting all :hyper: on the outside too, I get :reject: - happens every time! (Not that I’ve met them that many times, but it seems to be like this each time)

So, there I was – standing at the gate to the back entrance with a small group of U2 fans, crossing my fingers that Bono would come out this way and that he would have a few minutes for us and... yes, freezing my arse of! :wink:

We waited in that seemed like an eternity (but what was only about 20-30 minutes), before a black Audi with black windows rolled up inside the gate – and it just held there! Two women walked by the Audi and one of them tried to look through the back window – she was staring so much, she didn’t notice where she walked and almost slipped!

Then I thought to myself – if shes staring soooo much, I can only imagine one person sitting in that backseat! :lol:

A few seconds later a guy came up to the car and the back window rolled down – he puts his hand in the car, and what do you spot? A hand that shakes it, with the arm in a denim jacket and half a strawhat! Oh yessss!!! :wink:

A second later I see the rest of the strawhat wearing person in the backseat – and of course it’s Bono!!! :hyper:

While he’s talking to the guy he sometimes looks out at us standing at the other side of the gate, so I wave at Bono and he is :D in my direction!

FINALLY the gate opens and the Audi starts rolling towards us. Everyone jumps to the car and the open window and hands Bono things to sign. Because I’ve been standing at the side of the gate, so I could see when something happend inside the gate, I’m now on the outside of the crowd. Since I’ve learned how much damage pushing and shoving other fans can do in such a situation and the fact that I’m convinced that if I wait patiently (and not acting like an insane), the band will have time for me too (plus I have the :reject:-factor also! :lol: ), I go to stand behind the crowd, so that I will be the last person Bono sees before the car drives away.

While signing things for the others I’ve had time to get my letter out of my backpack, so when the Audi rolls up to me and is about to roll out on the street, I say “Here, Bono!” and hand him the envolope.

He takes the envelope looks at it shortly and then looks me directly in the eyes ( :combust: ), first with a little smile but with eyes that says “Okay, what is this?” and then looking a bit like the :huh:-smilie (he is sitting with the letter upside down, so he can’t see that I’ve actually written on the envelope what’s inside). But before he can say anything I tell him:

“This is for your fli... for you to read on your plane... flight... to Germany!”

(very :reject:, very confused – I’m usually not that bad at English! :lol: )

He says “Ohh... thanks! Thanks!!!” and gives me a big :D!!!

... and then the Audi drives away!

Even though is wasn’t a big :kiss:-and-:hug:-get-to-talk-for-a-long-time-and take-pics kind of Bono meeting, it was special to me! I got to give him the letter that tells about something that is important to me and that hopefully will be a sort of an “eye-opener” for him – just crossing my fingers that he actually spend his flying time over Germany to read it! :wink:

I didn’t get to take any pics (but take a look in the pic-thread!), but a very very nice guy got it all on video – I’ll probably get that when I get back from Africa, so I’ll just bump the thread by then so you can see it! :yes:

congrats merc! I mean, what is freezing your ass of when you have the opportunity to see him? :D I bet you weren';t even feeling the cold anywayz!

Merc said:

I say “Here, Bono!” and hand him the envolope.

He takes the envelope looks at it shortly and then looks me directly in the eyes ( :combust: ), first with a little smile but with eyes that says “Okay, what is this?” and then looking a bit like the :huh:-smilie (he is sitting with the letter upside down, so he can’t see that I’ve actually written on the envelope what’s inside).

Ok, we're all curious now ......what was in the envelope?
:hmm:
or are the contents printable in this forum? :eek:

Rock'n'roll, I also gave him a letter! Nothing special, just song requests and well-wishing, but our plans were totally alike. Great story. We were the only two to really talk to him!
We rock.

BorderGirl said:
Ok, we're all curious now ......what was in the envelope?
or are the contents printable in this forum? :eek:

As I wrote:

I got to give him the letter that tells about something that is important to me and that hopefully will be a sort of an “eye-opener” for him

If you're imagining this ^ to be anything dirty, or whatever you're suggesting with the ":eek:"-smilie (? :eyebrow: ), I assure you that you are indeed very very wrong! :|

The letter contained something relating to my professional life, that I thought Bono would find interesting to read, as it also relates to his "political career", but which I'm sure he wouldn't have read if I hadn't given it to him - thats all the details I'll give you...

Last edited:
God Part III said:
Rock'n'roll, I also gave him a letter! Nothing special, just song requests and well-wishing, but our plans were totally alike. Great story. We were the only two to really talk to him!
We rock.

:up: ...and thanks! :)

Merc said:

As I wrote:

If you're imagining this ^ to be anything dirty, or whatever you're suggesting with the ":eek:"-smilie (? :eyebrow: ), I assure you that you are indeed very very wrong! :|

The letter contained something relating to my professional life, that I thought Bono would find interesting to read, as it also relates to his "political career", but which I'm sure he wouldn't have read if I hadn't given it to him - thats all the details I'll give you...

No, just me being silly mostly :) ignore.
That's cool---that you gave him something. I think it's really nice since he's probably more used to doing the giving--in the form of autographs and hugs!
He always seems nice enough to oblige his many fans.

I could never grow tired of reading these stories, so I thank each and every one of you who has met the great man before me for sharing your stories. I hope that one day I will also have a story to share! :wink:

thanks again for your story Dorthe, I totally understand your shyness around B-man. I think I would freeze up completely too.

:up: for keeping your cool and not jumping the car, in the end you got what you wanted and that's important.
I'm sure he read the letter ;)
I remember once you mentioned something about wanting to talk to Bono about HIV and medications etc, so I hope you had your say about that as well, other than that it's none of our business what you wrote :hug:

greety said:
thanks again for your story Dorthe, I totally understand your shyness around B-man. I think I would freeze up completely too.

:up: for keeping your cool and not jumping the car, in the end you got what you wanted and that's important.
I'm sure he read the letter ;)
I remember once you mentioned something about wanting to talk to Bono about HIV and medications etc, so I hope you had your say about that as well, other than that it's none of our business what you wrote :hug:

Thanks Greta! :hug:

I think I could spend hours talking to Bono about drug-related issues, and not just the ½ minut I got monday! :lol:

Wonder if they'll ever need a pharmaceutical advisor at DATA...? :hmm: :wink:

Merc said:

Thanks Greta! :hug:

I think I could spend hours talking to Bono about drug-related issues, and not just the ½ minut I got monday! :lol:

Wonder if they'll ever need a pharmaceutical advisor at DATA...? :hmm: :wink:

Next time you meet Bono again, fill in an application and put that in your letter ;)

greety said:

Next time you meet Bono again, fill in an application and put that in your letter ;)

:lol:

Check your pm's! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom