Fish Needs a Bicycle?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishy.... you might like these, if you haven't already seen them!!

fish.jpg

iB4D217EC-7E7E-490B-B2B9-3659A32DAE8F.jpg

fisk.gif

WomanFishBike1.jpg

GREGFISH.jpg

------------------
MuchMusic: Do you have a final message for the crowd? Something they can take home with them.
Larry: Something they can take home with them? I'm not taking my clothes off!

[This message has been edited by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen (edited 01-24-2002).]

BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

*Finds lure*
*Tries to catch Fishy (person, not the fish)*

Alas, the one that got away....

*Puts a stick in the spokes*

------------------
ScottPhisto
The Man-Slut of PLEBA
Only $0.65 each!!!

He's prettier than you think...

Scottphisto vending machines. Now everywhere inside the famous PLEBA Mansion, fullfilling all your Scottphisto needs!

I'm just some fruitcake who thinks he's a pimp.

Voted Most Likely To Be Responsible For Unexplained Disappearances Of Women's Clothing

I hope ya'll don't think Bono originated this phrase! I actually think Gloria Steinham originally said it, whether it is her creation, I don't know. John Lennon also sang it a song once upon a time. But, ya'll are probably TOO young to remember either of these folks.

Originally posted by ballykissangel:
I hope ya'll don't think Bono originated this phrase! I actually think Gloria Steinham originally said it, whether it is her creation, I don't know. John Lennon also sang it a song once upon a time. But, ya'll are probably TOO young to remember either of these folks.

I know that Bono didn't write it... but ya know, the pics are funny. I actually have a Gloria Steinham poster with that quote on it and a pic of a fish riding a bicycle. I love it! But I'm not sure where it originated from either. Hmmm....

------------------
MuchMusic: Do you have a final message for the crowd? Something they can take home with them.

[This message has been edited by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen (edited 01-25-2002).]

Originally posted by Scottphisto:
BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

*Finds lure*
*Tries to catch Fishy (person, not the fish)*

Alas, the one that got away....

*Puts a stick in the spokes*

Ooooohh, that's angry.
wink.gif

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 01-25-2002).]

Originally posted by ballykissangel:

JUST BECAUSE I'M YOUNG DOESN'T MEAN I'M IGNORANT!!!!! I KNOW WHO GLORIA STEINHAM IS AND I SURE AS HELL KNOW WHO JOHN LENNON IS!!!! WHY DOES EVERYBODY MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT AGE?!?!?!
mad.gif
IT'S JUST A NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!*

*sorry guys, tough week for being a "youngin"

------------------

hey ya'll! i had a women's studies class last semester, and in our text book it said steinham is credited with that phrase, but that it was actually found in the late 60's, penned on the wall of a woman's bathroom at a university.
smile.gif

those are great pics, can't see!!!
smile.gif
lol
have a fun, great weekend, ladies!!

My mom heard TTTYAATW one time in the car and after the fish bike line she goes "What kind of song is this? They ran out of things to write so they're doing nonsense? WHAT?!...do fish ride bikes?"

*can't fall asleep bc she's thinking about fish pedaling*

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~BONO~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

O YEAH YEAH YEAH...

Originally posted by Lilly:
JUST BECAUSE I'M YOUNG DOESN'T MEAN I'M IGNORANT!!!!! I KNOW WHO GLORIA STEINHAM IS AND I SURE AS HELL KNOW WHO JOHN LENNON IS!!!! WHY DOES EVERYBODY MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT AGE?!?!?!
mad.gif
IT'S JUST A NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!*

*sorry guys, tough week for being a "youngin"

I met gloria steinhem at my university. she was really cool.

Don't worry, I can never remember people's real names from this place (i'm always calling Carrie "Olive" no matter what) and I can never remember people's ages so I ALWAYS assume they are my age. I mean, the whole world started when I was born and will end when I die, so everyone is my age. LOL!!

Lilly, you stick to your guns. I'm against labels, and age is a label! Bono took of his label-blindfold, the rest of us can, too!!

Awwww Can'tSee...these are awesome!!!

*save as*

*save as*

*save as*

LOL!!! You rock chickie!!! Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I haven't been around as much...between the MPS, work, and now school I have little time for other things!!! Thanks sooooo much for posting these!!!

((((((((((Blind/Invisible Girl)))))))))))))

LOL!

Fishy <><

------------------
The Macphisto Society
Being Bad Never Looked So Good

Wednesday + MPS = NAKED TIME!!!

"Except it may have been Care Bears" ~Opal

Originally posted by elizabeth:
I met gloria steinhem at my university. she was really cool.

Don't worry, I can never remember people's real names from this place (i'm always calling Carrie "Olive" no matter what) and I can never remember people's ages so I ALWAYS assume they are my age. I mean, the whole world started when I was born and will end when I die, so everyone is my age. LOL!!

Lilly, you stick to your guns. I'm against labels, and age is a label! Bono took of his label-blindfold, the rest of us can, too!!

(((((((hug)))))))
biggrin.gif
Thanks elizabeth!

------------------

From the Phrase Finder
( http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/414150.html )

Meaning
A feminist slogan.
Origin
Attributed to Gloria Steinem. Other claims for origination point to Flo (Florynce) Kennedy or to an anonymous author who painted the slogan on a wall at University of Wisconsin in 1969.

From the mouth of Gloria Steinem herself...

And the definitive word on the origin!
The letter below, from famed feminist Gloria Steinem, appeared in Time magazine sometime in September or October 2000 and was posted on the AWAD Web list. (More background on the posting is on the fishonabike Web site.) There is a slight discrepancy between the date cited in David Sakrison's message above and in Steinem's letter (below), an issue which remains for herstorians to sort out!

In your note on my new and happy marital partnership with David Bale, you credit me with the witticism 'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.' In fact, Irina Dunn, a distinguished Australian educator, journalist and politician, coined the phrase back in 1970 when she was a student at the University of Sydney. She paraphrased the philosopher who said, "Man needs God like fish needs a bicycle." Dunn deserves credit for creating such a popular and durable spoof of the old idea that women need men more than vice versa.

Gloria Steinem

Yay feminism!
smile.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Thanks for solving the mystery Hippy!!! Very interesting!

------------------

Back
Top Bottom