Finally saw the Night and Day vid, and is it about a stalker in the bus station?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Cause it sure seems like it. Yeah, Bono appears hot at times, but really, I'd be hiding from the guy if he were singing like THAT to me with those lyrics and that look in his eye and only wearing pants, suspenders and a stinky-looking jacket. And the fucking razor blade?! Nope, sorry dude, I'm calling the cops if you get near me again.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Looking for more trouble?
wink.gif

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

lmao my exact thoughts, lol. Gosh it almost looks like an 80's version of a suicidal Trent Rezor. LMAO, I watched it once, then I fast-forwarded the next time.

But now really how good was the God Part II video? Two words RUFFLY SHIRT!!!

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

I think that in some shots of Bono when he's sitting on the steps it looks like he's wearing a short black skirt and nylons...but that's just me, I guess. *lol*
biggrin.gif

I love that video though...they all look so good in it!

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by Bonochick:
it looks like he's wearing a short black skirt and nylons...

Bwahahahahahhaaaa!!! I thought it was someone else's job to wear women's clothes... Oh well, prob an early try for being a drag queen... He didn't know his dream would come true

biggrin.gif

Okay let me see here- it is okay to:

-start a thread saying you hate this video
-start a thread saying you don't like MacPhisto and he scares you
-make fun of mullets
-make fun of the I Will Follow dancing

BUT- if you knock POP it's a crime and you are rude and bitchy and disrespectful of other people's opinions? The double standard makes me sicker than a truckload of anthrax.

What if I started a negative thread about POP or some POP video? You'd be all over me like stink on crap. See the hypocrisy?

------------------
"Mullets rule!"

Originally posted by mbi16:
lmao my exact thoughts, lol. Gosh it almost looks like an 80's version of a suicidal Trent Rezor. LMAO, I watched it once, then I fast-forwarded the next time.

OH NO!! You are being so rude! I love this video and you have violated my rights and disrespected my personal opinion! If you don't like something can't you just keep your mouth shut! Oh how terrible!
rolleyes.gif

NON-POPtart... LMAO I think we all know where to put you! Nice try anyways!

I suggest to compare martha's and your way of expressioning feelings... because there is a BIIIIIIIG difference

icon23.gif

[This message has been edited by CatDubh (edited 01-14-2002).]

She bitched about me saying negative things about Pop so I was only trying to make a statement about the double standard. That's the crap they threw at me, I'm throwing it back. What the hell is the difference except who is bashing and what is being bashed and what YOU think? Nothing.

[This message has been edited by NON-POPtart (edited 01-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by NON-POPtart (edited 01-14-2002).]

OMG when I saw that vid, I didn't know WHAT was going on!!!!!!!

I didn't even know they did that song, but I recognized that part from the BonoMix2. Bono was really hot there, but the song and everything sounded really creepy!!!

P.S. This is for NONPOP-tart:
3334245523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A87%3D727%3DXROQDF%3E232328466%3C749ot1lsi

peeky boo I see you!

3334245523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E996%3E636%3EWSNRCG%3D3232379%3B%3A%3B437nu0mrj
Bono is sad that you're upset!
frown.gif

3334245523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E996%3E636%3EWSNRCG%3D323237644245%3Cnu0mrj
*smooch asaurus rex*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL

PLEBA: Saving heterosexuality, one woman at a time.

"What's good enough for Bono is good enough for me" ~Smooth Criminal

You give your life for rock n' roll

LMAO ah ah ah Non-poptart you make me crack up. Unfortunately I have class and will not be able to teach you the difference of how saying Bono looked bad in a video ONCE in a thread started to DISCUSS his look in that particular video compares to your CONSTANT barging in on threads started to POST PICS of a certain look (whom you made clear again and again you hate) and going off on your negative and deliberately rude and condescending comments.

If you still don't get it, well then you just don't get it. Just don't get mad at us when we say you're rude.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Yeah, that video is em......interesting. I was home alone watching it, I swear if someone knocked on the door, I would have been hiding underneath a bed a la Kevin McCallister in Home Alone.
wink.gif

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

If you still don't get it, well then you just don't get it. Just don't get mad at us when we say you're rude.

I saw the whole thing. Don't YOU get it? This thing goes BOTH ways.

PS Mona you're the Sweetest Thing!

PPS I adore the Day and Night video. Very hot. He can stalk me anytime.

------------------
"feel like trash, you make me feel clean"

[This message has been edited by TrailerTrashTracie (edited 01-14-2002).]

i thought the video was really dark and spacey...i love the way they reworked the song!
for some reason the others (not Bono) looked miffed, even Edgie and he usually doesn't give off that vibe.
*that is a great song though, and it does have a techo NIN sound to it!* i think that is really cool!

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
got the swing, got the sway, got my straw in lemonade

Originally posted by TrailerTrashTracie:

I saw the whole thing. Don't YOU get it? This thing goes BOTH ways.

PS Mona you're the Sweetest Thing!

PPS I adore the Day and Night video. Very hot. He can stalk me anytime.

uhm I was referring to why I think I think there's a fine line b/t being rude and disscussing opinions which I believe Non-poptart crosses on a daily basis.

I can see why some people would like dark mysterious shirtless Bono. I'm not sitting here saying "OMG how could you possibly like him that way, don't you see how he looks scary? yuck you have bad taste" (like Non-poptart does in every single Pop thread) instead I'm simply saying that IMO he looks scary.

In other words the fine line crossed by some people is that of condemming a person's taste because it is not the same as yours. That's what's rude, not the opinion.

That's my 2cents.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

What I don't understand, and what she doesn't 'get' is why is it always called bashing someone's opinion every time you criticize Pop, but when something else is bashed it's written off as someone's 'right to their opinion' or 'just my .02.' But there is no 'right to their opinion' for a person who does not like Pop, it's always considered 'bashing' and 'picking on someone's taste'. What on the friggin face of the earth is the difference?

Originally posted by WildHonee:
OMG when I saw that vid, I didn't know WHAT was going on!!!!!!!

I didn't even know they did that song, but I recognized that part from the BonoMix2. Bono was really hot there, but the song and everything sounded really creepy!!!

P.S. This is for NONPOP-tart:
3334245523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A87%3D727%3DXROQDF%3E232328466%3C749ot1lsi

peeky boo I see you!

3334245523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E996%3E636%3EWSNRCG%3D3232379%3B%3A%3B437nu0mrj
Bono is sad that you're upset!
frown.gif

3334245523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E996%3E636%3EWSNRCG%3D323237644245%3Cnu0mrj
*smooch asaurus rex*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

God Bless your beautiful SOUL! I *LOVETH* you! ((((HUGS)))))
smile.gif

What I don't understand, and what she doesn't 'get' is why is it always called bashing someone's opinion every time you criticize Pop, but when something else is bashed it's written off as someone's 'right to their opinion' or 'just my .02.' But there is no 'right to their opinion' for a person who does not like Pop, it's always considered 'bashing' and 'picking on someone's taste'. What on the friggin face of the earth is the difference?

I appreciate this TTT but it does no good, it's called HYPOCRISY and it stinks.
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
It's the same way on the mailing lists. I hope you will not be shunned now. Thanks anyway. SIGH.
frown.gif

Ticket update: $78
frown.gif
icon13.gif

------------------
"Mullets rule!"

Personally I don't think you still get the essence of what I'm trying to say. So I'm gonna demonstrate without even using U2 related things, in fact w/o as much as a picture.

"Oh I don't think that shirt looks good on him"

"Yuck that shirt is sooo tacky it makes him look fat and unattractive. How did he ever pick that shirt? How could you possibly like that shirt, yuck you have bad taste. He looked so much better in that other shirt I can't believe he put that shirt on"

Can you see the difference now? The first is a simple opinion, something that can lead to discussion, the second is a personal attack on the person who said the shirt looks good. That's rude.

It is annoying when the same person constantly posts using the rude example and defends it as her right to her opinion. Yet the same person then gets annoyed at someone for posting (using the respectful example) an opinion contrary to theirs and writes it off as rude. The fact that person posts her rude comments so often in threads whose title are a giveaway that she won't like it makes her posts even ruder cause it's almost like she's looking for trouble. To then call everyone that disagrees hypocrites is laughable cause she should look in the mirror.

This whole thing is so laughable and stupid I can't believe I'm dedicating this much time to it. I thought my one little post about it was clear enough, while in fact I've been forced to defend this over and over again.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

rolleyes.gif
BLAH BLAH BLAH on the griping!
rolleyes.gif

Okay okay, BACK TO THE VIDEOS.

So where can I download or find these videos, esp. N&D and the one with the ruffly shirt!????

why can't we all just get along?
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 01-14-2002).]

"These days, I hear a lot of rock... but where's the roll?" - Keith Richards

YEAH, RIGHT. Chance would have been a fine thing. Pop? Pah! U2 were always a rock band. For all the bollocks they spouted about being a folk band, a blues band, a gospel band, a Gonzo Cod Doo Dah Band, they couldn't even truly be a rock'n'roll band, as they showed on 'Rattle & Hum' - they were too stiff, too sexless (for all Bono's leather keks and Jim Morrison schtick), too earnest to recognise the ridiculousness and fun and funk of it all. They didn't have the 'roll' part of the equation, as Sir Keef memorably defined it.

But rock bands made in the '80s can't survive in the '90s without swotting up on some chapters from the pop survival book. The ones called 'Reinvention', or 'Staying In Fashion'. And particularly 'There's Always Been A Drum'n'Bass/Trip-Hop/Bergkamp Piss Pie Remix Element To Our Music'. The '80s breed of dinosaurs can't just lie on their sunbeds by the pool on Sunset and hope that their stray farts will fill Wembley. Besides, most of them come from post-punk stock, and they still care about things like 'credibility', 'integrity' and 'respect' in circles other than Mojo magazine. Ambition bites the nails of success, or something. And if Everything But The Girl can do it, so can you.

If U2 were one of the bands who defined the '80s, especially the latter half - stadium conscience rock, the Live Aid aristocracy, po-faced liberal austerity, authenticity chic, nuclear paranoia, American cultural hegemony, etc - then they are only too aware that they can only reflect aspects of the '90s - post-Cold War internationalism, eclecticism and dance crossover culture, irony, post-Thatch apathy, media saturation - from a humbly detached perspective. They wouldn't dare set themselves up as spokesmen for a generation any more. So, yeah, we'll let them in the end-of-millennium party. Not least because 'Pop' is a very fine record which proves they've still got a great deal to bring to it, as a revitalised, recycled, repackaged modern rock'n'roll band. So how could this happen? I mean, just how toe-chewingly awful were U2 in the '80s? Let us count the ways: the flag-waving rebel/icon posturing; the impeccably safe, vaguely hypocritical say-nothing platitude politics; the men-of-the-people pretensions; the authenticity-on-loan of 'Rattle & Hum'; the rubbish poetry; the endless empty rhetoric, empty gesturing and empty pomp and circumstance of the stadium rock anthem style they epitomised.

Smashing blokes, though, and when they concentrated on writing basic love songs (see 'The Unforgettable Fire', 'With Or Without You', 'All I Want Is You') they could breach the hardest of hearts.

So, moderately awful then. Where did it all go right?

No, it wasn't 'irony' that did it. It wasn't dance music, and it wasn't a pair of wraparound shades. It was around the turn of the decade, when they realised they were staring into a huge steaming abyss of naffness. U2 were officially uncool, and there was no point in pretending they could still be the band of the age, since they were so shackled to the '80s in their audience's minds. So it wasn't worth worrying about. Instead, they relaxed, loosened their belts and watched the world go by. More importantly, they relaxed sufficiently to allow a certain funk into their music, they dug into rich seams of genuine rock'n'roll sleaziness and even allowed themselves a taste of camp sexuality. Meanwhile, as by-products, a sense of drama and emotion emerged from the ashes of melodrama and bombast. And, don't choke on your Nicaraguan coffee, they had a laugh.

They were still trying too hard. But, for the most part, it worked. There was still a lot of pseudy bollocks and casual hypocrisy inherent in the Zoo TV and Zooropa shows ('Everything You Know Is Wrong'... shaaaadaaap!), but for all the snotty sniffing of the PC police (because we're too thick to deal with a bit of fascist imagery), they still managed to reconcile stadium rock with its contradictions and play with their own 'oeuvre' without, for once, looking like pretentious art-rock arseholes.

But irony, postmodernism and kitsch are all too often the last refuge of morally bankrupt style whores. It's bourgeois slacker apathy in smart-arse hipster's second-hand clothing, and even though we needed a spoonful after the decade that U2 epitomised, it soon became an overdose. When the ultimate cultural achievement is a vacuous collage of coolness like Pulp Fiction, you know it's time for a reality check, our kid.

Fortunately, U2 have just about learnt to surf the Zeitgeist by now, if by hip design or natural devotion, and they've made a record which is as postmodern as it is heartfelt, as sexy as it is soulful, as hedonistic as it is political, as light as it is dark, and as humble as it is huge-sounding.

You could argue all night about their motives, but whether they've had an honest conversion to dance music as the future of rock 'n' roll or just jumped on the bandwagon and bought a ticket in the first-class section hoping some ideas will rub off, the result is some bloody marvelous music...

You know 'Discotheque' by now. And in case you weren't aware, it's A DRUGS SONG! "You know you're chewing bubblegum/Tou know what that is but you still want some/You can't get enough of that lovie dovie stuff".

You know, love is the drug, music is the drug, E is the drug, but how the f- are you going to satisfy your craving when it's all half-cut with cultural and sensual junk food? Not that we're listening until about the tenth hearing, because the crotch-hammering, hard-headed voodoo beats, techno-riffs and nasty urban noise are far too addictive. Now, this is rock 'n' roll dragged grooving and screeching into the '90s. And it's big, loud, euphoric music without ever being overblown. Who'd have thought it?

Well, maybe Flood and Howie B, perchance, who are producer and assistant here. But the soundscapes owe as much to the new horizons of The Edge's post-nuclear guitar squall as a few repetitive beats. The likes of The Prodigy or Underworld might have thought of 'Mofo' but it would still do them proud. It's a white-knuckle, techno rock, car-chase through the apocalyptic streets of the nihilistic rock 'n' roll night (note that sentence's similarity to old-style U2 lyric-clever wording, cheers) and it is fantastic. Meanwhile, Bono is growling angry rhymes about searching for his mother or something. And we don't mind! Because he doesn't sound like a wanker any more.

But, while U2 are successfully discovering brave new worlds for themselves, there's still much of the old U2 here...only different. Three tracks in the middle of the album have choruses destined to be sung across the US Midwest, with arms stretched aloft. But somehow you won't feel like holding a lighter on the end of them. They're not the anthems of old, full of hollow hopeful truisms, because the themes are more searching, bleaker, asking us instead of telling us, evoking a feeling of yearning instead of yawning.

'Staring At The Sun' talks of being "afraid of what you'd find if you took a look inside", with a real sense of despair, now the old simple answers have been proved wrong. There's even a hint of an apology for previous false messiahs, "cos those who can't do often have to...preach".

'Last Night On Earth' then seems to suggest that, because "the future is so predicatable, the past is too uncomfortable", we might as well party like it's 1999, because we aren't going to find catharsis anywhere else.

'Gone' continues in a similar philosophical vein: "Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights/I'll be up with the sun, and not coming down/And I'm already gone". Jesus. Cheer up, it might never happen...

Well it probably already has, according to the final track,'Wake Up Dead Man', appealing to the good Lord to come and have a go if he thinks he's real enough, or are we destined to wallow in this shit forever more?

Like much of this record, the voice is startlingly fragile, desperate. And the politics, if you want to use such a scary word, are personal. Like on 'Please', a beautifully melancholic but also frantic appeal to a self-destructive, self-abused lover, or the midnight blue crooner, 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress'. And the effect is more gut-wrenching and heart-stroking than you thought U2 could ever be.

Ther's still patches of the postmodernist reference-juggling of 'Zooropa', most notably on 'The Playboy Mansion', but for all the namechecking of Michael Jackson, OJ and Big Mac, there's heart here, as a picture is painted of a man with his nose pressed against the ubiquitous shop window of the modern society, knowing he may never be allowed in.

The musical backing is stylish and rarely just stylised, dabbling in dubby tr*p-h*p and screeching riffno one minute, country blues, lounge and soul the next. Even 'Miami', a stream-of-consciosness sub-Tricky experiment, just about works.

So, U2 in 'Still Relevant in 1997' shock? Oh yes. And maybe this record is 'Pop' after all. In the sense that it's seized the day by the short and curlies and spread its sleazy, insane, infectious juice all over their sound. They've successfully bastardized their own huge bastard vision of what rock'n'roll can look and sound like, and they've gone from "A red guitar, three chords and the truth" to techno modernism without any lingering shame. They still have the hunger, the passion and the compassion without having to make a big pointless point about it, and they've found new meaning without the 'We mean it, man' pious pomposity. Most importantly, after all these years, you can just about believe in U2. Now how ironic is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom