Finally, my meeting with Bono after the Grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbi16

War Child
As requested I finally finished writing my novel, it's 8 pages long (covers 4 days) so I'm just gonna post the encounter for now. If you all really wanna bore yourself through the whole thing I guess e-mail me and I'll send it out to you, I don't know.

Basically, I got to go to Grammys and whenever U2 were up for anything I would get up and wave my neon yellow Brasilian jersey over my head, at one point I'm pretty sure Bono spotted it. After the Grammys I joined my friends outside the hotel to say congratulations and celebrate my friend Michele's birthday.

2/28/02

After much contemplation, after all I had spent more cash than I ever planned to already, I speak to my friend Melissa and find out she?s going cause her friend wanted to go. So I?m off, they?re having a party and I?m not missing it. I call the cab and I?m on my way to Sunset Dr. It was pretty hilarious when I arrived, cause I know everyone there (there?s about 15 of us), we all know each other, so when I got there they were all in shock, and yelled out ?MAAARINA!!!? LOL I had rock star entrance, and at this point I didn?t know who to say hi to first.

Ok now what you need to understand of the 15 people that were there only myself and Michele had never really met him. The others had all met him multiple times for various different reasons, some have been to over 40 shows others to 10, some had ran into him in random occasions, and one got to play with them on stage, regardless they?ve been running into him forever and weren?t there for autographs or anything they were just saying congrats and being our friends they were pulling for us to finally meet him. So besides being my friends they?re recognizable faces among the U2 organization.

In any case I got there around 11 pm while everyone had been around since the Grammys ended, around nine thirty. I sat down and we just chatted about the Grammys for about an hour. At around 12:30 am my friends decide to go check on their cars, they had parked in the McDonald?s lot across the street and the sign said you can park till 2 am without a prob, remember LA parking is hell. Surprisingly my friend who stayed behind gets a call from the two that were checking on the cars saying the cars were gone. So the three who were still with us proceed to run across Sunset Blvd like maniacs, completely disregarding traffic. Well it turns out 3 of the 4 cars were towed and taken to another parking lot, except this one costs well over a hundred bucks. So they get in a fight with the guy pointing to sign that was literally in front of the car, and the guy says ?well that?s an old sign this is the current one? points to a sign on the other side of the parking lot hidden behind bushes. So the arguing continued and ended with my Indian friends putting fake voodoo spells on the guy and scaring the shit out of him.

Of course when they finally came back they were telling us the story and we were all having a good laugh about it until all the jokes ran out about 1:50 am and my friend Michele had to wake up early the next day for work plus she still had to drop off two other people. We joked about how freezing it was and how we weren?t gonna see him till about 4 am and drunk. So at about 2 am she decided to call it quits, if he hadn?t shown up yet he was surely not gonna show up till the crack of down. Her cellphone had also died many hours before so we had no contact with her whatsoever.

Well sure enough it hadn?t even been 5 mins since she left and up comes a black BMW. We sat in shock it wasn?t till Bono walked over to us that we managed to move (I had a bigger entrance lol). He takes a look around and then he steps back I guess in shock of seeing so many familiar faces, first thing he says is "Well, we've got the whole family here? and that pretty much set the tone for the encounter everyone congratulated him for the Grammys and my friend Mel said "I'm sorry about not getting Album of the Year. I demand a re-count! What is this, Florida?" And he said, "Yeah, Al Gore...well you know T-Bone is a good friend of ours, and the record sounds amazing, so if you?re gonna lose at we lost to a friend, and he deserved it?

Then some girl that popped out of nowhere with an Explorer (guitar) and a some clunky old mic asked him how we could help with Drop The Debt. Well that set him off on his usual rant about ?just keep sending e-mails, I mean they keep telling me that their getting about 2000 e-mails a week?? so she asks ?so it?s working?? Bono: ?yeah it?s working.? Of course at this point I?m laughing cause I mean how many times have we heard or read this in interviews and now he?s less than a foot away reciting it to us. I bet it probably looked rude but I couldn?t contain myself.

Someone then suggested he should run for office. He jokingly said, "What? Vote for Bono." then added, "Why would I want to do anything but make music?? So then Irma said ?No but you?d make a good teacher?

Bono: Actually I was going to do that
Irma: What subject?
Bono: uhm?English or History
Irma: completely flipped ?Yay, that?s what I do I teach English and History?
Bono: ?really??
girl with the guitar: ?yeah I?m a teacher also it?s really bad, we?re really underpaid and under appreciated? (she?s carrying a $2K guitar wtf?)
Bono: ?Yeah, teachers, nurses, and dancers (wtf?) are professions that don?t get the recognition they deserve

The girl with the guitar then proceeds to ask for an autograph, he hesitates then asks what she does with it she says she collects them and hangs them in her room (again wtf? how does a teacher afford this?) He signs it and looks up with an expression asking us if there was anything else he could do? This is where I come in after being poked by friend to speak up.

Anyways I had been wearing my Brasilian soccer jersey it for layering purposes, however it was hidden beneath to sweaters. So when he came I took it off so he could see it (I was too lazy to actually remove the 2 sweaters so I did it in the ?discreet manner? though it must seemed like I was taking off the only shirt I had on lol). I held up the jersey and asked "when do you guys plan to visit again?" The emblem wasn't showing so he took it from my hands and looked at it. He finally realized what it was and said "oh wow you know Romario gave me one of his jerseys" so I asked "didn't you all play soccer or something?" he smiles and says "yeah we did, we played in his backyard" then all proudly "I scored a goal" pause "but I think they let me." That had us all laughing for a bit.

In the meantime all these random people started popping out of nowhere so he just starts to say goodbye still holding my jersey he turns to some of my friends, the most familiar of them all gives them all kisses on the cheek and wishes everyone goodnight. I see my jersey leaving with him but nothing I could do at that point would be of any help. My friend turns to me ?you weren?t giving that to him were you?? NOOOO she just laughs. You know he could've just asked, I wouldn't mind, it's just not gonna fit him, lol.

Oh then afterward as we were packing up to leave Thom Yorke pulls up. At first we don?t believe our eyes and do a double take, then in unison everyone let?s out ?Thom?? he looks over his shoulder, ?Thom Yorke!!!? At this point we scared him, I don?t think Radiohead has following of obsessed fans that wait at hotels, he thought we were joking and just kind of just stares at us from across the street. Then Irma promptly reaches for her binder which has a Radiohead sticker on it and holds it up ?we?re fans really.? Thom smiles and slowly walks over, shyly, he takes her pen signs the binder (he?s soooo tiny) and shakes her hand ?nice to meet you? then waves to everyone ?goodnight? and then proceeds to take baby steps back to the hotel. He was so shy, and we were left picking up our jaws from the floor. It was really funny cause we were so much more start struck than we were with Bono cause Bono was so laid back whereas this was completely unexpected.

The night kept going up until 4 am as a bunch of series of random events continue to happen outside the hotel. Eventually we all get tired of talking to this one guy and leave.

But yeah that was basically what happened, it was all so fast but it took me a month to type up.

The evidence of Bono's not so civilized ways (look in left hand)
1000035233_324200284834PM0.2482721.jpg

Poor little Thom Yorke scared outta his socks
1000035233_325200252034AM0.3195307.jpg

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 03-25-2002).]

Originally posted by mbi16:
I held up the jersey and asked "when do you guys plan to visit again?" The emblem wasn't showing so he took it from my hands and looked at it. He finally realized what it was and said "oh wow you know Romario gave me one of his jerseys" so I asked "didn't you all play soccer or something?" he smiles and says "yeah we did, we played in his backyard" then all proudly "I scored a goal" pause "but I think they let me." That had us all laughing for a bit.

In the meantime all these random people started popping out of nowhere so he just starts to say goodbye still holding my jersey he turns to some of my friends, the most familiar of them all gives them all kisses on the cheek and wishes everyone goodnight. I see my jersey leaving with him but nothing I could do at that point would be of any help. My friend turns to me ?you weren?t giving that to him were you?? NOOOO she just laughs. You know he could've just asked, I wouldn't mind, it's just not gonna fit him, lol.

Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaa!!!!!

Great story!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

he thought we were joking and just kind of just stares at us from across the street

LMFAO!

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

MARINNAAAA!!!!

That's such a cool story, though I think I would have run after Bono and been like..."Hey, um, can I please have my jersey back, Mr. Bono?" After which I would have promptly screamed my head off cause I was talking to Bono!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mirror mirror hanging in the sky, won't you look down to what's happening here below? I stand here singing to the flowers. So very few people really know. I dare a man to say I'm too young, for I'm going to try for the sun.

It's back. The fight. So is anyone giving way? It's just like in the beginning. The tears. Their eyes. Why isn't anyone giving way? It's just like in the beginning?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

WOO HOO MARINAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! *hyperventilates*

that was very cool, thanks for posting it! I love reading stories of "how I met U2" no matter which shape or form. So Boner stole your jersey, eh? That wily little leprechaun...maybe some day you'll see it in a pic on one of his kids!
biggrin.gif

*goes off to gaze at own pics of Edge up close*

OMGGGGG!!! That's soooooooo kewl!!!!! I wish I were there to see that...Plus Thom Yorke! *giggle* He's my friend and yes he's weird and shy lol but he's a really sweet guy. I'm glad you guys had a blast
smile.gif

Great story, Marina!!! It's hilarious that Bono stole your jersey- maybe you'll get it back someday.
smile.gif
Hanging out with the U2 "regulars" that Bono recognizes sounds pretty awesome- congrats!

Great story!!! *jealous* I wish that will happen to me some day. A normal conversation with Bono.... MMmmmmm..... So happy for you, it sounded like a great meeting, and he took your jersey... LOL

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

That's such an amazing story Marina!!! I can't believe that girl with the guitar... as you said many times in your story..... WTF?????
smile.gif

------------------
Three o'clock in the morning
It's quiet and there's no one around
Just the bang and the clatter
As an angel runs to ground

Just the bang
And the clatter
As an angel
Hits the ground

LOL! That is such a great story Marina! Sounds like such a blast! Hahahaha I love the jersey and Thom parts!
smile.gif
You're so lucky! Congrats!

Yep it was a lot of fun, too much fun really. I mean seriously how many people can laugh at their cars being towed? Yeah that was how much fun we had.

I kinda of still miss my jersey but my grandpa sent me a new one for my birthday, still it's not the same. Oh well if I ever run into him again there will be no mercy. I have already comtemplated filing a police report, ok not really but how funny would that be? Then we could all go to the court hearing and visit him in jail, makes stalking a lot easier.

Mullen-Girl you're friends with Thom? Tell him the crazy bunch from the night of the Grammys said hello, he probably has nightmares about us.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl:
Plus Thom Yorke! *giggle* He's my friend and yes he's weird and shy lol but he's a really sweet guy.

Come again?

Awesome story Marina... very cool !!!!
biggrin.gif

That's a great story, Marina! How amazing! Sounds like a fun group to hang out with too...and the Thom Yorke part just makes it classic
smile.gif

Jenn

You...

met Bono... and Thom...
IN THE SAME NIGHT?!?!

eek.gif

*crawls into a corner and dies of jealousy*

No really, being totally truthful, I'm glad that you had that experience! Thanks for sharing it all with us- the story was a pretty enjoyable read. I love reading about when people meet the band, or a band member... It inspires me to stalk more often.
smile.gif
Not many people can brag that Bono stole their shirt... You're one of the lucky few.

------------------
for a minute there, i lost myself
karma police, arrest this girl

Originally posted by oktobergirl:
Very cool, Marina. Thanks for telling us the story!

Still never met Bono
frown.gif

Eh, neither did I.... ::sigh:: Of the group of people waiting outside the hotel at 9:30 PM, I was the first to leave at 11:00 PM. I was feeling soooo freakin' feverish, sick, and achey and the last thing I wanted to do was breathe on Bono. I sooo wish I had the endurance to stay - he could have signed my license plate. BLARGH. That's OK, though.... I got the whole Grammy experience via my cellphone thanks to Marina. Marina, I don't know if I ever thanked you for that - THANK YOU! You rock!
biggrin.gif

I teased Marina and told her that it probably was a good thing that he didn't sign my plate, what with him leaving with her jersey and all.
smile.gif
heh.

Moonie
biggrin.gif

I held up the jersey and asked "when do you guys plan to visit again?" The emblem wasn't showing so he took it from my hands and looked at it. He finally realized what it was and said "oh wow you know Romario gave me one of his jerseys" so I asked "didn't you all play soccer or something?" he smiles and says "yeah we did, we played in his backyard" then all proudly "I scored a goal" pause "but I think they let me." That had us all laughing for a bit.

Marina querida!! What a cool story. Yes, they played football both times they came to Brasil, some friends from Rio got to see them playing, they had some great fun, it?s true.

Call me sentimental or maybe silly, but the fact that he kept your jersey with him, the jersey of Brasilian national team, it says a lot to me, it says that he loves our country and that some day he and the boys will come back. And I?ll be here waiting to see them.

Congrats and thanks for sharing this great story amiga.
smile.gif

Originally posted by EPandAmerica:
I've heard of him running off with pens and sharpies, but your jersey!
eek.gif

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Yeah, my friends and I have come to the conclusion that he's a kleptomaniac. There's stories of stolen hats, sharpies, jerseys, just the works, you name it he's stolen it. Oh well, he probably sends all this s*** to Africa, anything for a good cause
wink.gif

Yeah Dana, but you know he only has 2 hands, so if he's carrying my jersey in one and a sharpie on the other your plate would've been ok. And you're very welcome for the calls, I loved having people tell me to shut up while I did them, what grumps.

Maria, you know the whole idea behind the jersey was to hopeffuly find out if they would ever be touring there again, like you I'm hanging in there nervously for some news. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, and I managed to get it stolen at the same time, he obviously liked it, and let me tell you he has good taste cause the jersey is a rarity. It's from back when we were tricampe?o, before they got the cursed 4th star, and it's very official.

I haven't had time to dwell into radiohead as much as I would like, but I am very big fan and I'm one day gonna regret not having made better use of the moment but yeah it was pretty amazing to meet the lead singers of my 2 favorite bands on the same night.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Maria, you know the whole idea behind the jersey was to hopeffuly find out if they would ever be touring there again, like you I'm hanging in there nervously for some news. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, and I managed to get it stolen at the same time, he obviously liked it, and let me tell you he has good taste cause the jersey is a rarity. It's from back when we were tricampe?o, before they got the cursed 4th star, and it's very official.

I understood perfectly what you tried to do Marina, and I very much thank you for that. I still think that the whole story can be a good sign though, a sign that he and the boys want to come back. Bono is such a clever man, he wouldn't say something in a flightly way.

And wow, what a rarity shirt you had, really!
As for you loosing it, think this way: you lost it to a rare person as well.
wink.gif

One last thing...would you mind if I tell your story to the people of my lists here? I bet they would love it, but feel free to say no, if you don't want it of course.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 03-26-2002).]

Great story Marina, I'm glad you finally posted it
smile.gif

Who knows maybe one day we'll see one of his kids in your jersey.

BONO: Look Jordan I picked up a football jersey for you

JORDAN: AW, Thanks dad, you're the best

------------------
Daisy

Uncertainty...it can be a guiding light

AIM: daisyone75

Originally posted by follower:

One last thing...would you mind if I tell your story to the people of my lists here? I bet they would love it, but feel free to say no, if you don't want it of course.
smile.gif

Nope I don't mind at all, go right ahead.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Hey Marina, I told this crazy people here your story about Bono "stealing" your jersey, word by word. Today a girl from Ultraviolet ML pointed me out something I already knew, but forgot it...she witnessed that infamous football game, the one Bono referred to, and it took place in Edmundo's backyard in fact, not Rom?rio's. The game was settled to celebrate Rom?rio's birthday, probably it's what Bono remembers really...or those dozen beers he drank caused him this parcial amnesia towards his host
wink.gif
Anyways, just thought you would like to know that, and thanks again for sharing the story.

Back
Top Bottom