Figure skating, anyone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Some PLEBAns, uh, recently admitted to being figure skating fans. Me too! Unfortunately I can't find any information on when the World Championships are going to be televised in the U.S!! Does anyone have this info? Thanks in advance.

Mens' final

Gold- Yvgheny Pleshenko
Silver- French guy
Bronze- German guy

(sorry I can't remember their names)

Lilac said:
Mens' final

Gold- Yvgheny Pleshenko
Silver- French guy
Bronze- German guy

(sorry I can't remember their names)

I saw that on the World Championship site. The French guy is Brian Joubert, he's excellent, and I'm not familiar with the German guy. I hope they show him, the press said he's excellent also. He's one of the younger skaters, apparently he's a great talent.

Eeeek a weird shirtless guy in a tutu rushed onto the ice like a streaker in a football game! Did anybody see what was written on his belly before they blurred it out?

U2Kitten said:
Eeeek a weird shirtless guy in a tutu rushed onto the ice like a streaker in a football game! Did anybody see what was written on his belly before they blurred it out?
:lmao: I knew I should have stayed downstairs and watched it!! My mom taped it, I'll find out tomorrow. :wink:

They didn't show that part but Michelle Kwan said she saw him 'taking off his clothes and throwing them down'- I guess that's why the announcers were yelling! I was sitting here at the computer and went running in. I wonder what I missed! Please post what you see on the tape! :laugh:

If anyone doesn't want to know who won don't look...........

Gold- Japanese girl (I can't spell her name)
Siliver- Sasha Cohen
Bronze- Michelle Kwan

3146125.jpg

thank goodness for gettyimages :huh:

That streaker---that's the damnedest thing I've ever seen in figure skating competition. I'm so glad they showed the ice dance competition. It was cool, especially when the Germans won the bronze and the Bulgarians.....I thought should have won gold, no offense to the Russians they are excellent, but also more conventional ice dancers than the Bulgarians and I like the cutting edge.

I have the Japanese girl's name now. Shazuka Arakawa is how it sounds, I'm sure it's spelled wrong!

kellyahern said:
3146125.jpg

thank goodness for gettyimages :huh:

:lmao: Good old Gettyimages, good old Kelly! :up:

Why did they blot that out? Oh, it's only an advertisement. I thought it must have been something really bad!

Verte, I'm sure you've watched skating as long as I have (I started with the 76 winter olympics when I was a kid) and you know, the Russians WILL get their medals, even if someone else was better :| Sometimes they really are the best, but if someone else is better they should have it.

U2Kitten said:

:lmao: Good old Gettyimages, good old Kelly! :up:

Why did they blot that out? Oh, it's only an advertisement. I thought it must have been something really bad!

Verte, I'm sure you've watched skating as long as I have (I started with the 76 winter olympics when I was a kid) and you know, the Russians WILL get their medals, even if someone else was better :| Sometimes they really are the best, but if someone else is better they should have it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I do like this Russian pair, I think their coach, Alexander Zhulin, is honest (he signed that petition protesting the politics in judging a couple of years back, as did his skaters, at that point they were very frustrated) so it's not like some other competitions where it was just politics. Also the Russians and Bulgarians are very good friends. So it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth like some past competitions. In the past I have been really disgusted with blatantly political judging.

Last edited:
Maybe the judges gave the honest coach the win as a reward for being such a good guy! *j/k* I never really trust the judges. It's a shame to see people work so hard and do so well and lose anyway because of the numbers certain individuals choose to give them based on opinion. Of course it also comes into play in major league ball sports, I am not very trusting of refs or umps either. I've become cynical with all I've seen.

Well, in my view all figure skating judging, ice dance in particular, has a degree of subjectivity in it. It's not like tennis, where you either win or lose the point, or baseball, in which everything in the scoring apparatus is fixed and precise. The thing that makes ice dance tricky is that there are three phases of the competition, the compulsories, the OD and the FD, and I've only seen the compulsory dances twice in my entire life. It's hard when you didn't see that skating at all. They are carrying the scores from it over into the other stuff, so the end is a composite. Alexandr Zhulin was a fantastic ice dancer himself, and I think he's done a great job with this pair. I've been watching Denkova and Stavisky for a long time, and it's about damn time they got into the medals. They've been working long and hard for the podium, and it's great to see them there.

Back
Top Bottom