Figure skating, anyone?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Figure skating, anyone??

Some PLEBAns, uh, recently admitted to being figure skating fans. Me too! Unfortunately I can't find any information on when the World Championships are going to be televised in the U.S!! Does anyone have this info? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Local Time: 07:37 AM
I was actually wondering the same thing. I hadnt even thought about until this week when I realized that it was about that time.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Actually some of it was aired Thursday night on ABC.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 08:37 AM
The rest of it will be tomorrow (Saturday) on:

ESPN 4:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.

ABC 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.

I think ESPN may be repeating what was on Thursday night from 4:30 - 6 in the first part of the broadcast tomorrow, but I'm not sure
Old 03-26-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Damn! I missed last night.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Mens' final

Gold- Yvgheny Pleshenko
Silver- French guy
Bronze- German guy

(sorry I can't remember their names)
Old 03-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
Mens' final

Gold- Yvgheny Pleshenko
Silver- French guy
Bronze- German guy

(sorry I can't remember their names)
I saw that on the World Championship site. The French guy is Brian Joubert, he's excellent, and I'm not familiar with the German guy. I hope they show him, the press said he's excellent also. He's one of the younger skaters, apparently he's a great talent.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Watching it now!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Eeeek a weird shirtless guy in a tutu rushed onto the ice like a streaker in a football game! Did anybody see what was written on his belly before they blurred it out?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Eeeek a weird shirtless guy in a tutu rushed onto the ice like a streaker in a football game! Did anybody see what was written on his belly before they blurred it out?
I knew I should have stayed downstairs and watched it!! My mom taped it, I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:02 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

They didn't show that part but Michelle Kwan said she saw him 'taking off his clothes and throwing them down'- I guess that's why the announcers were yelling! I was sitting here at the computer and went running in. I wonder what I missed! Please post what you see on the tape!

If anyone doesn't want to know who won don't look...........

Gold- Japanese girl (I can't spell her name)
Siliver- Sasha Cohen
Bronze- Michelle Kwan
Old 03-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here

thank goodness for gettyimages
Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

That streaker---that's the damnedest thing I've ever seen in figure skating competition. I'm so glad they showed the ice dance competition. It was cool, especially when the Germans won the bronze and the Bulgarians.....I thought should have won gold, no offense to the Russians they are excellent, but also more conventional ice dancers than the Bulgarians and I like the cutting edge.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:31 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I have the Japanese girl's name now. Shazuka Arakawa is how it sounds, I'm sure it's spelled wrong!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:34 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

thank goodness for gettyimages
Good old Gettyimages, good old Kelly!

Why did they blot that out? Oh, it's only an advertisement. I thought it must have been something really bad!

Verte, I'm sure you've watched skating as long as I have (I started with the 76 winter olympics when I was a kid) and you know, the Russians WILL get their medals, even if someone else was better Sometimes they really are the best, but if someone else is better they should have it.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Good old Gettyimages, good old Kelly!

Why did they blot that out? Oh, it's only an advertisement. I thought it must have been something really bad!

Verte, I'm sure you've watched skating as long as I have (I started with the 76 winter olympics when I was a kid) and you know, the Russians WILL get their medals, even if someone else was better Sometimes they really are the best, but if someone else is better they should have it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I do like this Russian pair, I think their coach, Alexander Zhulin, is honest (he signed that petition protesting the politics in judging a couple of years back, as did his skaters, at that point they were very frustrated) so it's not like some other competitions where it was just politics. Also the Russians and Bulgarians are very good friends. So it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth like some past competitions. In the past I have been really disgusted with blatantly political judging.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 PM   #17
War Child

Maybe the judges gave the honest coach the win as a reward for being such a good guy! *j/k* I never really trust the judges. It's a shame to see people work so hard and do so well and lose anyway because of the numbers certain individuals choose to give them based on opinion. Of course it also comes into play in major league ball sports, I am not very trusting of refs or umps either. I've become cynical with all I've seen.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #18
Acrobat

I like figure skating, but i dont have a tv in my dorm room, and they took away the one in the lounge.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Well, in my view all figure skating judging, ice dance in particular, has a degree of subjectivity in it. It's not like tennis, where you either win or lose the point, or baseball, in which everything in the scoring apparatus is fixed and precise. The thing that makes ice dance tricky is that there are three phases of the competition, the compulsories, the OD and the FD, and I've only seen the compulsory dances twice in my entire life. It's hard when you didn't see that skating at all. They are carrying the scores from it over into the other stuff, so the end is a composite. Alexandr Zhulin was a fantastic ice dancer himself, and I think he's done a great job with this pair. I've been watching Denkova and Stavisky for a long time, and it's about damn time they got into the medals. They've been working long and hard for the podium, and it's great to see them there.