Exit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello everyone :wave: thanks for all the positive feedback :hug:

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while and I wont be for a while longer. I'm just going through some things now in my life and writing seems such a difficult thing for me to do. I'm hoping to move past it soon and get something going so thanks to all for reading and I just wanted to let you know I'm not leaving Exit alone. I've been bugging my brain to finish it...and hopefully I will soon :)

:wave:

alright now it's not much but I'm getting there. I hope you all like this...and I just want to say...although this part might be a bit weird..*like all my other stuff hasn't been :lol:*..just trust me when I say it will all make sense...I hope :uhoh:

:D

anyway, I hope you all like this part! happy reading! :hug:

EXIT -

“All in all I think that went well…” Bono said around the ice pack on his bleeding lip. I laughed somberly as I paced the lobby, waiting for any word on what was happening. I still wasn't sure what had happened. It was all a blur. But somehow I'd given an accurate account of everything to the police.

At the moment said police were talking to Adam, David and Edge and a few other passerby’s who'd taken it upon them selves to get involved. Edge was mostly there to keep Adam calm. I'd never seen him so riled up before. It was still a little unnerving to know he was capable of such brutality.

Adge sighed, bringing me back from my thoughts and I swore I could feel her eyes on me. I knew she was worried about how I was doing. They'd already tried to get me to get checked out by the ambulance paramedics but I'd refused. After all I wasn't the one who had been in the fight. I was perfectly fine except for being a little traumatized and extremely pissed off that it had come to this. Not to mention that I was buried under a mountain of guilt.

I continued pacing as Adge sat down on the lobby couch next to a brooding Larry, who so far hadn't said much of anything. Personally I was waiting for him to blow up any second.

I walked over to the front door to peek out of the window again. Everyone was standing around the cop car and talking from what I could see. Adam’s back was to me but I had a clear view of David’s face and I flinched at his black eye and puffy cheek. What a mess. As least no one was in handcuffs. A few photographers for the local papers were taking pictures and I groaned and walked away to pace some more.

“Would you please come and sit down? You're driving me crazy with your pacing.” Adge said, looking tired and aggravated as she pushed her limp hair behind an ear. It had been a long day for all of us. I walked over and sat stiffly next to Bono

Bono took a deep breath and put an arm around me. “I still think it’s not that bad.”

I shook my head miserably and slumped down into the couch. “You call Adam, David, You, Edge and a half dozen other men getting into an all out brawl in front of our hotel, causing the manager to call the police and almost get you all arrested not that bad?”

“Er…well…” Bono shrugged and scratched behind his left ear. He looked suspiciously well put together for someone who'd just been fighting. Luckily he suffered nothing worse then a couple scratches and a split lip. Bono squeezed my shoulders and smiled that adorable crooked smile I loved so much. “No one was seriously hurt were they? We can be thankful for that at least.” Bono’s cheerful optimism was starting to get on my nerves but I did appreciate it so I leaned in and kissed his cheek. He smiled, his eyes lighting up. He had charms hardly any woman could resist. Including myself. I leaned into him and sighed.

“Thanks for being so positive B. I don't know what I'd do without you.”

Bono puffed his chest out proudly. “I've no doubt that you'd shrivel up and parish without me.” That got a laugh out of Adge and I.

“You know if those working gentlemen hadn't have joined in the fight we would have had it completely under control.” Bono said, chewing on his cheek in thought, and I saw Larry’s jaw tighten. Uhoh. Bono went on, apparently not picking up on Larry's irritation. “Adam and David were the only ones fighting until they came along and had to interfere-”

“Did you say working gentlemen?” Larry ground out between his teeth, finally ending his steaming silence. Now his face was reddening and I shared a quick glance with Adge. If things got loud we'd have to calm it down fast. We didn't need any more attention.

Bono was eying Larry with curiosity as he shifted forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “Yes that’s what I said..”

“Christ B!” Larry growled and ran his hands through his hair, leaving it standing on end. His molten eyes narrowed at Bono from across the coffee table. “Why can't you just say what they were?! Hookers! There were hookers you bloody idiot! You fought hookers!”

“You said hookers three times.” Adge pointed out, shifting to look at Larry. “Do you like saying that word?” Larry tried to glare a whole through Adge’s head and she grinned. “I was just curious.”

Bono looked affronted. “Lar I-“

“No!” Larry yelled and stood to take up my pacing. We all leaned back in our seats and watched him. “I can't believe this is happening." Larry spat out and whirled to face Bono. "How could you even think about hitting a hooker?”

“They were the ones to start it!” Bono yelled, coming to his own defense. He sat up and glared at Larry, looking a bit hurt by Larry's words. “I didn't know they were hookers at first so they caught me off guard. You know I'd never hit a woman!”

Larry rolled his eyes. “Oh for the love of Christ! Are you telling me you couldn't tell they weren't woman? That’s a load of shite! Do you know how much trouble this could cost us all if they press charges? We'll be ruined! And all because you knocked out a six foot tall blonde with bullocks!!”

A silence rang out; the only sound being Larry’s labored breathing as he stood glaring at Bono who was glaring right back. Adge snickered but quickly broke it off into a cough when Larry shot a venom filled glare her way.

For fear we'd have another fight breaking out any second I stood and walked to Larry’s side, laying a hand on his forearm. He stiffened under my touch, and his eyes flashed as he looked at me.

I pushed my fear down, knowing he'd never hurt me and smiled as best I could. “Lar, if you want to yell at anyone you can yell at me since this is all my fault. None of this would've happened if it weren't for me." I figured reasoning was my best bet. "But can you please wait until the cops leave at least? We don't need anymore trouble.”

Larry snorted and jerked away from me. He started across the room, walking stiffly, and grabbed his jacket. Adge and I shared a look.

“Lar where are you going?” Adge asked.

“Somewhere quiet.” That was all he said before walking out the front doors of the hotel, the door banging closed behind him.

I sighed and leaned back into the cushions. The whole day felt like a dream. Starting with Adam finding David and I together and taking it completely the wrong way. Everything was going all right before that. David and I were parting ways and it would all be over. If only it had worked out that way.

At first I'd been suspicious when Adam offered to buy David a drink so they could have a chat. But there was absolutely nothing threatening about how Adam had offered so I ignored my inner voice and went along with it. But as soon as David was out of the car and on the sidewalk Adam had taken the first shot, almost knocking David off his feet. I remembered screaming for them to stop as they rolled on the ground, taking punches whenever they could. It only got worse from there.

Soon a crowd gathered and Edge, and Bono came to see what was going on. How they knew what was happening was anyone’s guess. After that the group of hookers had been walking by and from then on things were a little confusing. Either the hookers jumped into the fight thinking they could get something out of it. Or one of them got hit by accident and they'd jumped in to get revenge.

It was like a bad comedy as wigs went flying and high heels came off to be used as potential deadly weapons. I probably would've been laughing hysterically if I hadn't been scared out of my mind. As soon as I lost Adam in the crowd of tangled limbs I ran inside the hotel and yelled for the manager to call the authorities, but he already had.

When the police arrived most of the hookers ran. All accept the one with a broken nose that we were all convinced Bono had inflicted. The whole story came out through our accounts and thankfully no one was arrested. But we still didn't know if David would be pressing charges against Adam. I hadn't had a chance to talk to either one of them and it was driving me up the wall. At least we were being left in peace here in the lobby. There were a few police men guarding the door against paparazzi and anyone else who was curious enough to see what was going on. A fact that the manager wasn't too happy about.

Even as we sat and waited, Paul was talking to the police and trying to get things sorted out. We were all praying for the best.

Bono started humming With or Without You and I glanced at him. His lip had stopped bleeding finally and was starting to scab over. Another wave of guilt washed over me. Singing with a split lip wasn't going to be easy for Bono. Especially when he got enthusiastic. But I was also relieved that there was only one more gig before the band and all of us got a much needed rest. We'd be relocating to a house in L.A. that U2 were renting for the next month. They'd been approached about a movie deal and it seemed the perfect opportunity. Also a change of scenery was an excellent idea.

Bono stopped humming and sighed, brushing his hair away from his face with an irritated flick of his wrist. I smiled at the familiar movement and studied his chiseled profile. As if feeling my stare Bono turned and smiled as his eyes met mine. “How are you feeling Red?”

I laughed dryly and shrugged. “I'm as well as to be expected. But I wasn't the one who was just fighting off ten hookers and a world famous rock star. How are you feeling B?”

Bono grinned. “It'll take more then a few hookers to take BonoVox down.”

Adge laughed. “Okay that just sounds wrong B.”

Bono squinted at Adge, trying to work out what she meant, then he grinned and blushed. “I didn't mean it that way. Besides,” He raised his arms above his head, reaching towards the ceiling, and groaning as his muscles stretched. Adge and I watched, both of us trying not to stare but very much failing. Bono was just so scrumptious to look at.

Bono sat back with a relaxed smile, completely oblivious to the our drooling over him, and let his hands fall limp between his thighs. “I haven't felt this good since Gavin and I took on the O'Connell brothers. What a night that was.”

Adge tilted her head and grinned. “Weren't there six of them?”

“Seven actually.” Bono boasted with a smirk. “And we were still standing at the end of it.”

“Only because half of them had broken limbs already at the time.” I said laughing.

Bono pouted as Adge joined me. “We still kicked their arses.” Bono grumbled.

“Yes you did B.” None of us had noticed Edge coming back in. I stood, anxiously searching Edge’s face for any bad news. He took my hand and squeezed, a small smile gracing his mouth. I let my breath out in relief and leaned into Edge’s side. He chuckled and wrapped an arm around me. He turned to Bono. “I remember the O'Connell’s wouldn't come within thirty feet of you for at least six months after that.” Bono preened and Edge’s eyes crinkled in amusement as he smiled and left my side to go sit by Adge. He kissed her softly and she leaned into him, laying her head on his shoulder. I ached to be held like that right now.

“Edge, how did you and Bono know what was happening?” I asked curiously as I sat back down next to Bono and pulled his arm around me. He smiled softly and snuggled me against his chest. “It looked to me like you knew what to expect when you came outside.”

Edge shifted in his seat and looked to Adge. She bit her lip and said, “It’s my fault.”

I gaped. “Oh my God Adge! Are you telling me that you told Adam what I was doing!?”

“Not exactly! I told him you went shopping but something about being pregnant is making me rusty in my lying skills.” Bono snorted and rolled his eyes. Adge sniffed and continued. “Anyway, he caught on that I wasn't telling the truth and at first he was amused, probably thinking you were out shopping or something. Then…”

“Then what?” I asked, feeling like my stomach was going to cave in on itself.

Adge sighed and grew teary eyed. “I didn't tell him anything. I told him again that you were shopping...then he got this weird look in his eyes and left without saying anything. After he was gone for a few minutes I sent Bono and Edge after him.."

"Oh..." I said quietly.

“I really am sorry Red.” Adge sniffled, accepting a handkerchief from Edge.

Edge placed a loving kiss on her forehead and murmured. "Calm down love."

I let out a huge sigh. “It’s okay. Nothing we can do about it now anyway.”

We sat in silence for a while. After a few minutes Edge left to check on the situation and came back quickly. He sat back next to Adge.

“So, is there any word?” Adge asked first, having recovered from her episode.

Edge nodded. “Paul just finished speaking to David…he’s not pressing charges.”

Even though I'd already suspected the answer, a wave of relief washed over me and I grinned.

Bono whooped happily and pulled me into a sloppy kiss. “See! I told you it would all work out.”

“That’s great news.” Adge smiled up at her husband. “And Adam?”

I tensed and looked toward the doors. Edge didn't answer right away and I looked back at him worriedly. He winked at me. “He’s been released and is on his way in now.”

“Released?” Bono asked, frowning. “Was he arrested?”

“No.” Edge shook his head. “Just held for questioning.”

Bono relaxed again. “Oh…so…we're okay?”

We were all quiet. None of us sure what the answer to that was. The truth was we didn't really know much. We knew Adam wasn't going to jail but there was still the looming question of how bad the paparazzi would make everything look. There was no doubt that this would be in the papers by morning. That would bring more problems.

“Well.” Adge broke the silence. “Larry is AWOL. And we'll see how Adam’s doing when he gets in here.”

“I think Larry can take care of himself.” Bono said. “So that leaves Adam…”

I groaned. “If I know him at all he’s going to be so angry with me.”

“Maybe not.” Edge said with an air of calm. “He didn't seem too bad when I was talking to him. Quite calm actually.”

Adge sniffled. "Yeah and if he tries to yell at you I'll kick his ass."

I smiled weakly. “He probably wont even speak to me.”

“Yes he will.”

We all jumped and looked up to see Adam standing by Bono’s side of the couch with his hands in his pockets and a tired smile on his face. “Hello everyone.”

“Adam mate! How are you feeling?” Bono jumped up, leaving me to almost fall on my face, and gave Adam a bone-crushing hug, which Adam returned with a somewhat croaky laugh.

“I'm all right. A little banged up.”

Bono pulled back, looking Adam over closely. “Anything serious?”

“Just a sprained wrist.” We all flinched, knowing what that would mean for Adam’s playing. “But the medics said it’s not a bad one. Should heal in a few days to a week.” Adam’s eyes met Edge’s. “If I ice it I should be able to play tomorrow night.”

Edge looked troubled. “Are you sure? We could cancel or get someone to fill in-“

Adam’s jaw tightened. “No. I need to play.” Something passed between Edge and Adam like understanding and Edge relented with a sigh.

“Don't push yourself. If you can't go on tell us.”

Adam nodded, looking measurably happier. “Well I don't know about you all but I could use a drink.”

Bono perked up. “Now that sounds like a brilliant idea! Lets hit the pub shall we?”

“Wait. Aren't we being thrown out of here by the manager?” I asked hesitantly. It was the first thing I'd said in a while and every one looked at me and then at Adam, probably waiting for some kind of confrontation. Adam kept quite and Edge jumped in.

“I talked to the manager and after a few apologies he’s agreed to let us stay our two more days.”

“Oh..good.” I said quietly and stood. “Well…um..I'm..” I trailed off. Not knowing how to say what I needed to. Not even sure what I wanted to say. I wanted to yell at Adam and ask him what the hell he'd been doing and I wanted to apologize and explain why I'd been with David in the first place. Most of all I just wanted to be held by him and told that we would be okay. That I hadn't ruined things between us.

“There’s someone waiting to speak to you outside.” Adam said stiffly, searching through his pockets, most likely for his cigarettes, and not meeting my eyes. My stomach tightened.

“Who?” Bono asked curiously then his eyes widened. “Bowie? No way. After everything he still thinks he can-“

“B shh.” Edge reprimanded softly as he stood and smoothed out his checkered shirt. “It’s none of our business.”

“I…I don't think I need to see or talk to him.” I said softly, looking down at my shoes.

“Amber, are you sure?” Adge asked. I met her eyes and sighed when I saw that she would side with me on whatever I decided.

“I don't want to talk to him right now. It'll only make things worse.” I said quickly, tired of everyone's stares.

“It’s part of the deal.” Adam said tightly and we locked gazes. Glinting blue on maple brown. “He agreed not to press charges for a few reasons but one of them was that he gets to talk to you before he leaves.”

I was speechless. “I'm going with you.” Adge spoke up, and leaned forward trying to get herself up. Which wasn't an easy task with her belly getting in the way. She floundered for only a moment before Edge put a hand on her hip and back and helped her to stand.

“Adge-“

“Not a word.” She said firmly as she reached my side. “I'm going with you. Just try and stop me.” I knew by the fierce look in her eyes that she would be coming with me no matter what so I gave up with a smile.

“Okay. I'd rather not go alone anyway.”

“Be safe.” Edge said and kissed Adge goodbye. “I'll be with the guys in the pub I guess.”

Bono snorted as he wrapped an arm around Edge’s shoulders and smiled crookedly up at him. “Don't sound too excited there The Edge.”

Edge chuckled and wrapped an arm around Bono's waist. “I'm not going for excitement. I'm going because someone has to make sure you block heads stay out of trouble.”

Bono lifted a hand to his chest and blinked innocently at his best mate. “Me? I never get into trouble!”

“Oh really?” Edge asked with a wicked twinkle in his eye.

Bono’s eyes widened and he gasped. “Edge…you're humorous side is showing! Did your dullness potion wear off?”

Edge growled and pulled Bono into a headlock. “Ahhh! Edge! Lemme go…please?”

Adge and I shared a chuckle as we linked arms and headed out the doors. I glanced back once and met Adam’s eyes through the glass. I could make out the smile on his face but that could have been because Bono was now draped across his chest as the three of them headed for the hotel bar. But there was something there in Adam's gaze. Something that flashed at me, warm and inviting, in the blue depths of his eyes.

A warm fuzzy feeling was building in me. And I suddenly knew that Adam and I would be okay. That we would get past this. But I also knew that this wasn't over. Not by a long shot.

Hello! :wave: I've been feeling inspired lately so here's a bit more for you all! :D I hope you all like it. Enjoy! :)'

oh and as far as I can tell this is either the end of chapter 14 or the beginning of chapter 15..not sure which yet :giggle:

Exit -

Saying that seeing David after everything that happened was strange was one big understatement. Most of the crowd was gone, the police having told them to move on, but I still heard questions being yelled by the press. I didn’t know if they were talking to me or not. I didn’t bother looking to find out. Adge stayed close to my side and took my hand firmly in hers. I glanced at her to see how she was holding up and wanted to laugh when I saw her glaring fiercely at the reporters and flipping them off at every opportunity. Ah what would I do without Adge by my side to fight off the demons of the world? Even just about eight months pregnant she had no fear and wasn’t going to hide from anything or anyone. She had moxie.

The sidewalk dipped and disappeared under my feet as we stepped onto the street. So far I had been avoiding looking David’s way like he was the Antichrist but now I had no choice. We stepped up next to David’s car where David himself leaned against the driver door and was watching me closely with his mismatched eyes. I couldn’t read the look he was giving me either and that made me more nervous, but not as nervous as talking to Adam had made me. If I could survive that I could make it through this…right?

“Chicky.” David smiled as he straitened, pulling away from his car. I nodded stiffly at him and immediately felt bad for being so cold. After what happened and with him not pressing charges the least I could do was be civil. But if David noticed my coolness he politely ignored it and turned to Adge, breaking off his stare, which meant I could start breathing again. His smile warmed at being confronted with the mother to be. Adge smiled but was watching him like he was a bomb about to go off any second. It was safe to say she no longer trusted him. And that worried me. Adge was usually very insightful about these things.

“Ahh Adrienne. You’re looking radiant.” David reached out and took Adge’s limp hand in his and raised it to his lips. She was mostly unresponsive to his charms and I made a promise to myself I would ask her later how in the hell she could do that. While Adge had him distracted I took the opportunity to study David’s face. I wasn’t sure what I was looking for but there had to be something. Some kind of emotion I could pick up on. Unfortunately he was like a closed book. The only emotion I could see was his pleasure at seeing Adge again. At least I could tell that was genuine by the smile lines on his face and the light shinning in his eyes.

David released Adge’s hand and turned to me then. “Amber…may we speak privately?”

Right down to business then. I thought grimly as my stomach jumped to my throat. I opened my mouth to tell him just what I thought of that. “I-“

“Is that part of the deal?” Adge asked coldly, speaking loudly so whatever I would have said was lost in the hot night air.

David nodded politely to Adge and met my eyes again. “I’d like to have a word, nothing more…”

I sighed and shrugged. “Okay. It’s not like I can say no after everything.”

“Like hell you can!” Adge shrieked and I looked at her in surprise. She blinked, obviously surprised herself at her outburst. She measurably calmed down by talking a deep breath but her stare was hard with resolve as she looked up into David’s face. “What I mean is, if Red doesn’t want to talk to you then she doesn’t have to. I don’t care what kind of deal you made.”

I smiled at Adge. “Your protective side is showing Mrs. The Edge.”

She glared, not the least bit squeamish about turning her wrath onto me instead. “It’s not a fault to watch out for your friends. What else am I here for huh?” She glanced at David and must’ve seen something she’d missed before because she sighed and relented. “If you want to have a minute alone that’s fine. Just stay in plan sight-“

“So the press can take a picture of us?” I scoffed. “I don’t think so. Things are bad enough with them now. We don’t need that added to the mix.”

Adge scowled, not liking the situation a bit. “Fine…” She turned to David and wagged a finger at him. “You’ve got five minutes. No more you hear me?”

He nodded and smiled as he offered me his arm. “I’ll have her back to you safe and sound.”

“You better.” Adge stepped back onto the sidewalk and folded her arms as she took up a watchful stance next to the one remaining police car. I smiled my thanks at her as David and I walked down the sidewalk. It suddenly hit me that he had his arm around me and we were walking to an unknown location and I had no idea what I would say to him accept how sorry I was.

I looked around us worriedly. “Where are we going?”

“Just ahead there’s a park…” David pointed to a street near by. “Just there. We should find a semi-secluded bench where hopefully we can have a moment of privacy. Something I’ve had little of these past few days.” He muttered the last bit under his breath and I looked at him curiously.

“What do you mean?”

He glanced down at me; seeming to realize that I’d heard his last comment he cleared his throat and smiled a bit sheepishly. “There have been rumors flying around about me lately. About my...sexual preferences…” At the astonished look on my face he blushed and looked away. “I usually ignore such things but this has been…more trying then I thought.”

I continued to gape, wondering what the hell he was talking about. Then I recalled something I’d heard about a year ago. A man had come forward in the press last winter, saying he’d spent one hot memorable night in David Bowie’s arms on the sunny beaches of Jamaica and even had pictures to confirm it. It had made quite a stir at the time but was forgotten after a few weeks when other more exciting and scandalous news took its place. Was something like that happening again? I tired to gather my thoughts and formulate a response.

“I think...you might need to tell me a little more then that.”

David laughed dryly. “All you need to know is in the papers I’m afraid. I’m surprised you haven’t already seen it…oh of course.” His lips twisted up into a sour smile. “It’s not been published here in America...yet. It’s mostly in London at the moment. I got a copy this morning from my manager.”

“London?” I asked with a doubtful frown. “Why would anyone in London care about that? They’re mostly bisexual anyway.”

David threw his head back and laughed. “That’s what I love about you. You always see things no one else would ever bother looking for.” His eyes were still sparkling as he looked down into my shocked face. He stopped walking and turned to me in confused worry. “What is it?”

I opened my mouth and closed it again. Not sure I wanted to say anything. It might have just been an innocent slip…was is up to me to point it out? In the end I couldn’t let is slide. “You said you loved me.” My voice was surprisingly calm, totally opposite from the tornado of emotion swirling inside me.

David’s face went slack in shock as my words sunk in and his eyes turned introspective as if going back in time in his memories. His face paled and he looked at me vaguely embarrassed.

“I did say that didn’t I? Well…a minor slip of the tongue is all. I do care about you but love? No I don’t think so.” He smiled, going back to his good-humored self. “Don’t give it a second thought love. It was a mistake.”

Something in the way David said that, made me more than a little suspicious, but I chose to ignore it for now. A mistake was right though. This whole thing had been one big mistake. And I promptly stopped thinking about it because delving into our feelings for each other was not the best thing to do at the moment.

I didn’t know what to say after that so we walked silently the rest of the way to the park and David waved a hand toward the bench that was indeed empty and surrounded by a circle of rose bushes. I sat first, sliding over as far as I could so when David sat down there were no parts of us that touched. It was probably the safest way to go at this point. I didn’t think I would jump into his arms or anything but I still didn’t fully trust myself so distance seemed the best medicine. I stared at the beautiful roses all around us and smiled.

“I love roses, especially the pink ones.”

“I didn’t know that.” David said meeting my smile with a warm one of his own. I didn’t realize I’d been talking out loud so it took me a moment to get what he was saying. I sat back on the bench and sighed.

“I’ve always loved roses. I don’t know what it is about them.”

“They’re a symbol of romance and love. Maybe that’s what draws you.” His smile took on a teasing edge and he winked. “You are a hopeless romantic after all.”

Instead of making me smile his comment made me terribly uncomfortable. It was true though. I was a romantic person and that was what seemed to get me into trouble. I wanted romance…I wanted excitement. And when I didn’t get those things at certain times from Adam…what then? I went out and tried to find it with other men? That thought was ridiculous, and terrifying. Is that what I had been doing with David? With Guggi?

And what about all the times I’d almost fallen for Bono? Was that an attempt to fulfill my romantic notions? After all Bono was one of the most romantic men I’d ever known, there fore that made him the best choice…or was it only a substitute I was looking for? If that was true then I had a much bigger problem then I thought. Would I always run away from Adam when he wasn’t giving me exactly what I needed?

No relationship was perfect and I knew that but maybe a part of me still hadn’t caught on. After spending a bit too much time pondering my love life I turned to David. He was staring off away from me and looked troubled. It seemed like I wasn’t the only one doing some pondering. I shifted on the bench, catching David’s attention by tapping his shoulder. He shifted, turning my way and smiling.

“David? Do you want to talk about…the paper thing? About your love life?” I figured he would shoot me down right away, saying it was no big deal or not something he wanted to talk about. So I was surprised to find him shooting me a thoughtful look and rubbing a hand over his head in a nervous gesture I’d never seen from him before.
“Do you really want to hear about it?” He asked hesitantly after a moment. This was a side of him I hadn’t really seen and I had to admit it was intriguing. I wasn’t about to pass this up.

I nodded and said, “Sure why not. I’m a good listener.”

He still hesitated. “That I know. It’s not a long story but it is a troubling one.” He suddenly sat up and shook his head, looking pained. “I don’t think we should be talking about this now. We don’t have the time-“

“Yes we do.” I cut in. I could see he really did want to tell me about it but something was holding him back. “You don’t have to tell me…”I reached out and touched his elbow gently, it being the closest part of him I felt safe touching. “I hope you know that if you do tell me you can trust me. I wont go blabbing to anyone. Especially not the press.”

He looked shocked at the suggestion. “Of course not! I do trust you.” I could see him relax nonetheless and I had a suspicion a part of him had been worried about my motives. Thinking he might need a moment to gather his thoughts I looked away and smiled when I saw an elderly couple walking a little Scottie dog. They looked so sweet and…grounded. Is that what I needed? Well I was engaged to Adam, the only thing more grounded then that was actually getting married but the odds of that happening anytime soon were very low…or maybe not. Still not having talked to Adam about anything I was kind of lost as far as that went.

“I met him six months ago.” David’s low voice startled me and I leaned in to catch his words. My stomach flipped but I didn’t interrupt. David sat back, staring ahead at the big red rose bush in front of us and he smiled bitterly. “Love is a bit like a rose isn’t it? Beautiful to the naked eye but get close enough and the thorns prick you before you have a chance to fully appreciate it's beauty and smell it’s sweet aroma.”

“I suppose that’s true.” I said quietly.

David went on as if not hearing me. His face was sent in deep lines. “I barely noticed him when I walked into the café. But then both of us ordered around the same time and got our drinks mixed up. When we realized what had happened we laughed and switched our drinks back no harm no foul…” David smiled and shook his head. “I didn’t see anything wrong with us sitting at the same table and when he said he knew who I was I was flattered but not overly so. People notice me all the time so it’s hardly a new experience. But there was something about him. The way he looked at me. I knew what he wanted.” David got a far away look in his eyes. My face had been slowly heating up and now I out rightly blushed and David glanced at me and grinned. “Sorry Chicky. Shall I stop now?”

I laughed weakly. “Er I don’t know. I said I’d listen so…go on…if you still want to…”

He grinned as he leaned back onto the bench. Our shoulders brushed when he shrugged but I didn’t pay it much attention. “I found him attractive and the feeling was mutual or so I thought.” He glanced at me sideways and flushed. “I’ll skip the more…intimate details and just say we spent a night together and later I found out that he was only interested in my fame and not me. I was hurt but not about to let it get to me so I went on with life as usual. Or as usual as life gets for me.” I smiled at this, thinking about what a hectic life he had. It had to be more chaotic then mine seeing as how famous he was. He sighed then, drawing my attention to his face and the sad look in his eyes.

“When he came to me last month saying he would go to the press unless I paid him off-“

“Oh my god what a jerk!” I exclaimed.

He smiled sadly. “Yes I know. I told him no of course and so he went to the local press and told them the whole story, plus a few false tawdry details.”

“God that’s horrible. But everyone gets bad press once in a while…” Realizing what I said, and what had happened that afternoon I blushed and groaned. “Oh my god this whole mess isn’t going to make it any easier! I’m so sorry about that. It shouldn’t have happened. I feel awful about the whole thing. And thank you for not pressing charges.”

David grinned and shook his head. “As if I would! I care about you too much to make your life more difficult. I’ve done enough of that lately. All is forgiven. And it’s not as big a problem as you think. I’m not the least bit put out by this entire thing going to the press. If they get their story straight I’ll come out of this looking…well straight.” We both laughed at that and David stood “We’d better get you back before Mrs. Edge sends out the troops.”

I giggled as I stood and brushed myself off. “Oh you mean Bono and Edge? A lot of good they would do. Bono would talk you to death and Edge would be in the middle trying to keep the peace. Either that or he would have Bono is a headlock.”

David smiled as he took my hand. “You have good friends who look out for you. And there’s one positive thing I can say about Adam.” I held my breath as he chuckled and rubbed his swollen jaw. “He’s got one strong uppercut.”

~~~U2~~~

David walked me back to the hotel and under the watchful eye of Adge he raised my hand to his lips and placed a gentle kiss on my palm.

“See you around Chicky.” He smiled, and we both ignored Adge’s snort and muttered, “That’s likely.”

A smile tugged at my mouth as I glanced at Adge and squeezed David’s hand. “See you.”

David nodded at Adge while she glared, before he went around and got into his car. I sighed and stood next to Adge as we watched him drive away. It very well might be the last time we'd see each other for a while. I waited tensely, expecting some overwhelming sadness to hit me. On the contrary I felt as if David and I had become closer through this experience and him leaving my life now was only temporary. I had the feeling we would be friends for a long time to come. I wasn't about to shout that from the rooftops though. Not unless I wanted my arse kicked. I sighed and smiled as David's car disappeared around the street corner.

“Thank god that’s over.” Adge grumbled and I rolled my eyes and turned to her.

“I'm trying to have a moment here.”

“No kidding.” She smiled and we started back to the hotel. "Sorry but we don't have time for that. We have to get inside and see if our men have accomplished their task.”

“What task?” I asked as I opened the lobby door and stepped back to let Adge go first.

She grinned at me over her shoulder. “Getting pissed. I bet you I can set the scene. Picture this.” She spread her hands out in front of her and tilted her head. “Adam will be laying on the bench of one of the booths, barely conscious and with less clothing on then he had going in, Bono will be up and dancing on a deserted dance floor to a perfectly obnoxious song, and Edge will be standing at the bar discussing the dynamics of the building with the bartender.”

I cringed and laughed. “That sounds about right. Can't we just leave them?”

Adge grinned and stopped outside the hallway that led to the bar. “If we don't go and collect them what do you think will happen?”

I pictured Bono, Edge, and Adam stumbling out of the bar some time in the middle of the night, bumping into walls, getting utterly lost, and calling out for Adge and I as they tried to find the right rooms. I sighed. “Disaster.”

“Exactly. We're better off getting them now. And we can't leave them even if we wanted too. They've got that dinner with Bruce tonight remember?”

My eyes widened in horror. “No. No. I am not going to be responsible for sobering up three drunken Irishmen in time for dinner!”

Adge put a comforting hand on my arm and smiled at me in pity. “It’s your choice. If you don't then they'll have to go as they are now…”

“Perfect.” I groaned and covered my eyes.

"Well, I can't really do anything in my condition...unless the hotel has a hose I could spray them with. I bet Bono would like that. We all know he loves baths." Adge chuckled.

I dropped my hand and mumbled. "Not without bubbles."

Adge turned and raised an eyebrow at me. "What?"

I blushed. "Nothing. Lets go...will you help me get the guys up to our rooms at least?"

Adge shrugged. "Sure. What are friends for?"

"Don't get me started on that." I sneered and Adge laughed hysterically as she entwined her arm in mine and together we walked down the hall to see what kind of a mess awaited us this time.

~~~U2~~~

“I found my love by the gasworks croft. Dreamed a dream by the old canal. Kissed my girl by the factory wall! Dirty old town, dirty oooold town.” Adge and I stopped just inside the bar when we heard Bono’s voice raised in song.

He was hanging half off of a bar stool, his arm firmly wrapped about Edge’s shoulders, and his head thrown back as he sang to the ceiling. I couldn’t see Edge’s face so I wasn't sure about his condition, but a pissed Bono was trouble enough.

I shot a grim look at Adge and she grinned. “At least he’s not dancing.”

"That would have been better." I grumbled as Bono started the next verse.

“Clouds are drifting across the moon…ooohh…Cats are prowling on their beat. Spring's a girl in the street at night. It’s your turn Edge! Sing it!” Bono crowed and then unbelievably Edge laughed and sang out.

“Dirty old town, dirty old town!”

“That’s my Edge!” Bono slapped his thigh briefly and Edge inclined his head with an embarrassed smile.

Neither one of them had seen us yet so I moved to step forward. Adge grabbed my arm and hissed. “Are you crazy? I want to see this."

“But-“

Bono started up the next verse. “I heard a siren from the docks…ooh yes I did. Saw a train set the night on firee! Smelled the spring in the smokey wind…oohh…oh…” Bono’s voice faded off to silence and I wondered if Edge missed his cue. Then from the nearest booth a figure sat slowly and moaned in a hoarse voice.

“Dirty old town, dirty old town. Shity old town!”

“Adam!” I gasped.

Adge shook with suppressed laughter and squeezed my arm as a signal to be quiet. “Wait.” She whispered. “There’s one more verse.”

I looked at her unbelievably. “One more verse? God what’s next.”

Adge grinned and snorted with laughter. “I don't know. Maybe Larry’s hiding behind the bar?” I put a hand over my mouth to muffle my giggles. Adge waved for me to be quiet and pointed to the bar. Bono was standing, or more like stumbling, and singing again.

“I'm going to make me a good sharp axe. Shining steel tempered in the fire.” His voice was more of a growl now and a shiver ran through me. Adge cursed under her breath and I glanced at her and grinned at her flushed cheeks. Bono continued in a loud voice. “We'll chop you down like an old dead tree...oohh…ahhh…”

Adge and I held our breaths waiting. Then all three men threw their heads back and howled. “Dirty old town, dirty old town!!!”

“Woo!” I yelled and joined Adge as she clapped and whooped. Bono whirled around and grinned as he held out his arms.

“Lasses! Have you come to join the party?” He swaggered over to us and put himself between us, an arm on each of our shoulders. Bono turned and smiled at Adge. “Love! You shouldn't be in here should you? Not good for the babe."

Adge gagged and waved a hand in front of her face. “Damn Bono you smell like a whiskey distillery.”

Bono flashed a guilty grin. “Sorry Aids…it was all Adam’s idea!”

“Don't blame me!” Adam yelled from his booth. He must've been lying down now because all I could see was his bare feet propped up on the seat. So Adge was right about the booth…and the fewer amount of clothes. Wonderful.

Bono glared at Adam’s feet. “Come out and say that to my feet!”

Adge laughed. “Bono I think you meant face?”

Bono looked adorably confused. “Why would I mean face? Adam’s talking with his feet isn’t he? Not even brave enough to say it to my feet.” He grumbled and leaned his face into Adge’s neck. “Mmm smell good Aids.” Adge sighed and brought a hand up to stroke Bono’s hair. He purred and wrapped both arms around her, nuzzling closer into her neck.

I met her amused gaze with a confused one, “Why does he keep calling you Aids?”

She tried to shrug but it was barely distinguishable with Bono wrapped around her. “No idea.”

“He probably thinks it’s ten years ago.” Edge said in amusement as he stood up from his stool and walked over to us with a relaxed smile gracing his face. He didn't seem the least bit intoxicated and I glanced at Adge for confirmation of this. She studied Edge closely.

“Come ’re.” She motioned to him and he grinned, knowing the routine, he leaned in and kissed Adge on the lips. He pulled away looking sweetly innocent

“Do I pass?”

Adge smacked her lips together and nodded. “Yep. You’re sober.”

I shook my head. “I have no idea how you can tell that just from one kiss.”

“It’s a gift.” Adge said, now trying to pull Bono off of her. Edge stepped in to help while my eyes roamed to the pair of feet that hadn’t moved.

“Is that really Adam?” I whispered to Edge

Edge chuckled as he pulled Bono’s arms around his neck and tried to dodge Bono as he leaned in, puckering and smacking his lips, trying to kiss Edge’s face. Bono landed one on Edge’s cheek and giggled as he tightened his grip on Edge’ neck. “I got you Edge!”

Edge pointedly ignored him while Adge and I grinned. “I’m afraid it is Adam.” Edge said, glancing back at the booth. “But he’s not as bad as he looks. I’ve been watching him carefully. Bono stop kissing me! Anyway, Adam’s only had a half dozen drinks he should be fine.”

“Fine.” I said warily.

“I’ll take care of him if you want me to.” Edge offered with his arms full of a squirming Bono.

I smiled thinly. “Why don’t I try first and then if that doesn’t work you can have a go?”

Edge nodded and rolled his eyes as Bono kissed his chin and promptly burst into a fit of giggles. “Sound good. I’ll just take B to his room and be right back. Adge want to give me a hand?”

“Sure.” Adge nodded and went to open the door.

Where are we going?” Bono asked as he walked wobbly between Adge and Edge.

“We’re going to bed.” Edge said quietly putting an arm around Bono as he almost lost his balance.

“Ooh! Sounds fun.” Bono said happily then he sighed. “Are you sure three people will fit in my bed?” Adge’s laughter filled the hallway as the trio disappeared around the corner.

I smiled and shook my head. Bono was just cute no matter what he did or how he acted. There was no way around that fact.

Deciding I couldn't put it off any longer I squared my shoulders and turned back to Adam’s booth. Whatever was about to happen I wasn’t looking forward to it. My only hope was that Adam wouldn’t remember a thing about today and getting him to our room would be uneventful. I walked hesitantly over and peeked over the table down into Adam’s unmoving face, his eyes were closed, his long blond lashes lying against his flushed cheeks. “Adam?” I squeaked out nervously.

Adam's eyes fluttered open, his eyes slightly unfocused, and he smiled slowly. “Chicky, you’re back. How was your reunion with lover boy?”

Oh Feck.

Hello all! :wave:

Wow I finally have another chapter to post! :lol: It's been a while :ohmy: But better late then never :wink: I hope you all like this. :)

Ohh and it's PG13 for some use of the F-word and a bit of kissing :shifty:

Enjoy! :D

~~~Adam eyes opened half way, as if his eyelids were too heavy and he smiled slowly. “Chicky, you’re back. How was your reunion with lover boy?”
Oh Feck.~~~

Exit Chapter 16

“It was ok.” I said slowly.

Adam grinned. “Just ok? Didn’t enjoy yourself at all?”

“Um…no not really.” I answered and fought against the urge to wring my hands as I hesitantly sat down in the booth across from Adam. I watched him warily as he pulled himself up to a sitting position. He sighed and raised his glass to his lips, taking a large gulp before leaning back against the leather seat. He met my wary stare with an amused one of his own.

“That doesn’t surprise me. You’ve never been one to fall for singers. I hear its bassists you’re hot for.” He smirked at my look of shock. “What’s the matter Red? Am I wrong…do you prefer singers?” Something in his voice told me this innocent question was anything but. I’d figured he’d be furious with me and start yelling but I should have known better. Things were hardly ever like that with Adam.

I shook my head at him in wonder and whispered, “No. I...I do prefer bassists.”

“I thought so.” Adam winked and saluted me with his half filled glass before downing it in one gulp. He gasped and slammed the glass onto the table, causing me to flinch at the noise. He stood up then and my eyes followed him, as if I could look away at this point. He swayed on his bare feet and I was up in an instant and by his side.

“Adam!” I grabbed onto his arm and held tight as he regained his balance.

“I’m fine.” He muttered, squinting down at the burgundy carpet under his feet and frowning.

You don’t look fine, I thought as I swallowed past the lump in my throat and nodded. “Okay. Why don’t we…find your shoes, and then get back to our room?”

Adam snorted at the floor. “What for?”

“Well…for…for..” My mind scrambled to think of a way to get Adam back to our room without a fight. Then I’d somehow have to attempt to make him presentable for dinner. Finally it dawned on me. “For a nightcap! You’re still thirsty aren’t you?”

Adam looked up from the carpet with interest. From what I could see in the low lighting his face was flushed and his bruised cheek and chin was turning darker. He grinned, flashing his crooked teeth. “Night cap? Hmm I’m always up for a nightcap love.” He slurred leaning into me, his breath hot on my neck. I shivered, wrapped an arm around his waist, preparing to help him walk, and swallowed thickly.

“God, you’re not the only one who could use a nightcap.”

~~~U2~~~
Getting back to our room was easier then I’d anticipated. Apparently somewhere from the bar to the elevator Adam realized that he was supposed to be angry with me and he shoved away, stumbling ahead and moving surprisingly quickly down the hall. I didn’t try to catch up but instead watched him closely from a few feet back in case he tripped or something.

Once we got to our room I hurried to the door as fast as I could, feeling Adam’s stare burning into the back of my head. The door opened and Adam pushed his way past heading straight for the mini bar.

I groaned, “Adam you really don’t need anymore alcohol. What you need is some coffee.”

He ignored me completely as he fumbled with a small bottle, breaking the seal and sipping it. I sighed and went to start the coffee. I glanced back as I turned it on and saw Adam grabbing a handful of mini bottles from the bar and stumbling to the couch. He practically fell into the cushions with a grunt. I glared back at the coffee machine wondering if it could work miracles.

With the coffee going I walked over. “Adam?” I carefully sat on the arm of the couch. Adam stared moodily down into his lap and sipped at the bottle that fit snugly in the palm of his hand. “Adam…we’ve got to get you ready for dinner. Bruce Springsteen will be there. You remember him don’t you?” Still silence. “He’ll want to talk to you…and how will it look when you open your mouth and blow him away with whiskey fumes?” Adam snorted and I sighed. “Adam please will you at least take a shower?”

He looked up at me. “Why? I’m not in a fit mood to talk to anyone.”

“I’ve seen you worse. Remember the time when you lost your favorite bass in Italy? Or what about the time when you got the chicken pox at the same time you had that tour in France? Or what about-“

Adam cut me off with a heated glare. “If you’re trying to cheer me up you’re doing a bang up job!”

I flushed with frustration. “I’m sorry! I’m just trying to…to…”

“To what?” Adam asked, sitting up straighter, setting his handful of bottles down on the couch beside him and watching my face, giving me his full attention. His gaze was so intense…so blue…
I shifted nervously under his gaze and said weakly, “I’m trying to get you to take a shower.”

Apparently that wasn’t the answer he wanted to hear. He scowled and took a large drink of his little whisky bottle. “I’m not taking a shower.” He growled. “Stop now and save yourself the time. I’m a lost cause.”

“No you’re not!” I snapped and shoving Adam over I sank down onto the couch beside him and grabbed the bottle out of his hand.

He jerked in surprise. “What-“

“Be quiet.” I snapped and, just in case, reached over and took the rest of the mini bottles away as well. I gripped them in my hands and glared into Adam’s half lidded eyes. “Listen. You are NOT a lost cause. I don’t want to hear you ever say that again! I love you, care about you, and I wont sit by and let you pickle yourself. The answer to your...or rather our problems isn’t at the bottom of a bottle. Or in this case a lot of little bottles.” Adam’s lips twitched and I glared. “And furthermore you are going to take a shower and go to this dinner because it’s important. For you and for U2. Your mates are counting on you and you can’t let them down. Got it?”

“Yes.” Adam answered calmly, surprising me. I was actually surprised by myself as well. I had really gotten fired up there.

“Good.” I nodded a little shakily at Adam and felt a headache coming on. It wasn’t easy being upset or yelling. I wasn’t used to it. I went to rub my forehead only to smack it with a vodka bottle instead. I scowled and got up to return all of them to the mini bar.

“Love?”

I turned back, “Yes?”

Adam shifted on the couch, bringing his feet underneath him and tilting his head to the side as he watched me. “Did you mean what you said before?”

I blinked and answered without hesitation. “Yes, all of it. Why?”

Adam shrugged and looked away. “Even the part about loving me?”

My heart squeezed at how vulnerable he sounded. “Yes. I’ll always love you. I-I know I’ve been a complete bitch lately with…everything.” I didn’t want to bring David’s name into this conversation and by the tightening of Adam’s jaw I guessed I’d made the right decision. “Anyways…” I went of quietly. “I’m so sorry. More then you’ll ever know. I love you so much and I’m sure you’re tired of hearing it but it’s true. And I wont ever love anyone as much as I love you.”

I realized that now, when Adam was three sheets to the wind, probably wasn’t the best time to be talking about this. I’d be lucky if Adam even remembered it but maybe that made it a little easier.

Adam surprised me by smiling crookedly and saying, “I love you too.”

Not knowing what to say to that I went over and poured us some coffee. I came back, sat next to Adam.

He took the cup and sighed. “Amber…”

I sipped and turned to him. “Adam?”

He put his untouched coffee down on the table and stood. I craned my neck to meet his eyes. He smiled. “Do I look drunk to you?”

I blinked and frowned. “What do you mean?”

He turned, held out his arms, and walked a perfectly straight line over to the T.V. I gaped at him. “What the hell! You’re not drunk at all are you!?”

He came back and sat down, smiling a bit smugly. “No I’m afraid not.”

“But. But. BUT.” I sputtered, completely lost. “Why would you fake that!?” I finally managed to yell.

Adam shrugged. “Do you really need a reason? It was just for fun.”

Not buying that for a second I glared. “I don’t believe you! Oh my god…all that time in the bar and the hall…you weren’t even drunk...you...you...bastard!” I fumed on. “I know why you did it. Because you thought that if you were drunk then we wouldn’t have to talk about...about what happened!”

“We have been talking.” Adam said calmly as he picked up his coffee and sipped. “Hmm. It’s a bit strong.”

I steamed. “WE haven’t been talking at all! It’s been all me! All you’ve said is that…“ I broke off, realizing just what Adam had said.

He glanced at me in amusement. “You’ve said you’re sorry and I’ve said that I love you. What else do we need to talk about?”

“What…WHAT! You are completely ignoring the issues here!”

“I’m not ignoring anything.” He said sharply.

“Yes you are! Or why else would you be pretending to be drunk?”

Adam stood. “I’m NOT ignoring the issues! If you would stop yelling at me long enough to think about that then you might figure out what I’m talking about.”

“What the fuck…” I growled and stood also to meet Adam’s glare with one of my own. “That doesn’t even make sense! You said you’re not ignoring the issues when you are. You pretended to be drunk and then you got an apology out of me, and said you loved me and now…now you’re acting like nothing ever happened with David!”

“Exactly.” Adam’s eyes pierced me. “I’m going to take a shower now.”

I watched, dumbfounded, as Adam walked into the bathroom and closed the door with a soft ‘click.’

“What just happened?” I whispered to the empty room. What Adam said made no sense. Why would he pretend to be drunk? Well now that I thought about it I knew it wasn’t because he didn’t want to talk or else why would he have let me apologize? If he’d really wanted to avoid the issue he would have shut me up by swiftly changing the topic of pretend to be sleeping or something. There was something else going on here.

I thought hard about what he’d said. He wasn’t ignoring the issue with me and David but clearly he didn’t want to discuss it anymore so…was that it? Had me apologizing, saying I still love him and him saying it back really been the end of this whole thing? Then it hit me like a punch to the gut.

“That’s what he wants.” I said, a light bulb going on above my head as I sat heavily on the couch. “He wants us to move on from it all. And he was pretending to be drunk so he could approach the situation in a way that’s comfortable for him. Not having to feel anything.” I frowned. “But he wasn’t really drunk so he obviously wanted to keep his wits about him. But…Ugh.” I brought a hand to my aching forehead.

This was all too complicated. But I was pretty sure I was right. Adam was never one to face conflicts like this head on. And could it also be that what I’d done was still hurting him and the less we talked about it the faster he could move on? But would it be there, still festering and waiting to be opened again? I groaned and covered my head with a cushion. Maybe I could just smother myself and be done with it.

The sound of water running reached me and I lowered the pillow and stared at our bathroom door. Adam had been so intense but extremely calm during our argument. Once again he’d managed to surprise me. I’d really and seriously fucked things up and he was willing to forgive and forget. Because he loves you. My mind whispered to me and tears sprang to my eyes. Yes I knew he loved me and I swore right then and there that I was going to do everything I could to make sure he knew how much I loved him in return.

~~~U2~~~

"Wow what did you do to Adam? Whatever it was it worked a miracle." Adge commented from her chair next to me and I grimaced.

It was true that Adam was completely different then he'd been an hour ago but that had little to do with me. After Adam had taken a shower he'd walked out and was his usual self and as I got ready I tried once to get him to talk about it but he gave me a look that said I'd better let it drop so I did.

Now Adam was being polite, charming, and making excellent conversation with Bruce at our dining table. I was still the jumble of emotions I'd been earlier. I really wanted to talk to Adge but couldn't exactly yank her from the table. Not when her and Bruce were making flirty eyes at each other. You would think that being pregnant would hold the men off but nope not with Adge. She was like a magnet.

The proof was in the way Bruce kept pulling her into the conversation even though she was sitting at the opposite end of the table. Then he'd made several comments about her maternal glow. And it was in a way that made Adge flush and grin. And oh man Edge didn't even notice a thing. Maybe he just chose to ignore it. Or maybe I was looking too far into it. I stored all those little facts in my mind to ask Adge about later.

I watched Adam in sympathy as he struggled briefly with his sprained wrist. He stabbed at his salad for the tenth time, his hand at an awkward angle to not jar his wrist. His brow furrowed with concentration as he got a lettuce leaf to dangle of his fork and slowly brought it to his mouth. At that rate he'd starve by morning. I was just about to suggest he use the other hand when Bruce reached out, took the fork from Adam's hand and slipped it into his unharmed one. Adam's face showed his surprise then he huffed and smiled tightly at Bruce in thanks.

"Are you even listening to me Red?" Adge asked, irritated. I blinked and turned to her. Adge was watching me with a raised brow. "Well?"

I sighed. "Sorry. What?"

She rolled her eyes. "What did you do to Adam?"

"I didn't do anything." I murmured, not wanting anyone else at the table to hear us talking. Bono was sitting across from me and on his right was Bruce, Adam, Edge, and then on my side of the table was Adge, me, Larry, and Paul closed the circle.

Next to me Adge snorted into her iced tea. "Oh yeah right. I saw Adam in the bar he was sloshed. And now he's behaving like a perfect gentleman. Don't tell me you didn't do anything...or wait." A wicked gleam entered her eyes. "Maybe you haven't done anything yet hmm? Did you promise to give him a little boink in the hot tub later?"

"Adge!" I hissed in warning, feeling my face heat up as I quickly looked around to make sure no one heard that.

Adge grinned. "You did didn't you? I know you and Adam. You never stay mad at each other for long. Not when you could be making out instead."

My face reddened further and I slid down a little in my chair and whispered, "That's not true. We haven't acted like that in a while. Okay, we have but not recently...not in the past couple...er...days."

"Ha I knew it." Adge giggled. "How long did the fight last this time? I'm betting two minutes...and...38 seconds."

I rolled my eyes. "God what's going on with everyone. You're all acting like I never did anything with David and almost ruined my relationship with Adam. What the hell is going on?"

Adge just looked at me in pity and sipped at her drink. "I still say two minutes 38 seconds."

"I say three minutes and ten seconds." Larry put in on my right. I turned to scowl at him. He flashed a perfectly white smile. "I know you and Adam too." He shifted to get a look at Adge. "What do you say we make it interesting?"

Adge grinned cheekily. "Sure thing love."

I wanted to groan and bang my head on the table. Then I noticed Bono staring at us. No Bono. Please no. Don't say anything.

"What are you guys talking about?" Bono asked

I sighed. "Crap."

"Crap?" Edge leaned forward with both eyebrows raised. "You're talking about crap?"

Adge laughed at me. "You want to explain or shall I?"

Bruce, who up until that point had been in a heated conversation with Adam and Edge now turned his eyes onto me and I gulped. He hadn't said much to me but a polite hello and to inquire about my and Adam's relationship but now he was watching me with interest. I really wanted to slide under the table and crawl back to the safety of my room. Adam met my eyes then, raised an eyebrow and smirked as if to say 'what have you got yourself into now?'

I sighed and sipped at my drink to gain a little more time. "We were just discussing eh..the new menu. I've been thinking about switching things up a little."

"And you're thinking about adding crap?" Larry asked dryly but I caught the sparkle of mirth in his eyes. Oh you just laugh it up Lar. I thought darkly. But just wait until I serve you your next veggie burger.

"No offense meant love but I don't think that will go over well." Bono said with a wide grin which Adam shared. Bruce just looked amused. I glared at Bono.

"I didn't mean that." I said through gritted teeth. "I said crap because I'm pissed off that I can't decide on what new dessert to add to our menu that's all. I asked Adge." I flashed Adge a scowl and she bit her lip to keep from laughing. "But so far she hasn't been very helpful."

Bono perked up at the mention of dessert. "What are you thinking of adding? Something with chocolate?"

I smiled at Bono's cute eager expression and mentally patted myself on the back for distracting him. "I've been thinking of a chocolate pie actually. That or maybe a nice fruit tart with a dollop of whipped cream."

Bono's eyes glazed over. "Whipped cream? Are we taking a vote on this?" Bono waggled his eye brows. "I vote for that one. Anything with cream is enough to set me afire." He turned his suddenly smoldering gaze onto Adge. "Isn't that right love?"

All eyes turned to Adge. She flushed and grinned. "Yes Bono. You'll never forget that night in Paris will you?"

Bono was busy shaking his head as Edge's brow wrinkled. "Paris? When?"

Adam spoke up. "Ah yes I recall that night last year wasn't it? The night Bono ended up in bed with Adge and a bowl of whipped cream. Bono's hot for cream you know." Bruce choked on his sip of wine and the table fell quiet.

"You're daft." Larry broke the silence with a small laugh. "Bono and Adge never ended up in bed."

"Yes they did." Adam insisted. "I saw them myself." My eyes widened then narrowed at Adam as if to say, 'what!?And you never told me!?' Adam's smile slanted then he turned back to Larry. "I remember that I needed to talk to Bono that night about buying an engagement ring." Adam said this with forced casualness and my heart lurched as I took a deep breath and focused on the rest of Adam's story. "I think I walked in without knocking because I figured he'd be alone." Bono was blushing now and staring at Adge with a weird look on his face. Adge was staring at Edge with a worried expression and Edge was watching Adam , soaking up his every word.

Adam went on. "I walked in and called out. When I didn't get an answer I searched the room. And you can imagine my shock at finding Adge in nothing but a towel in bed with a passed out Bono who had a bowl of whipped cream on his chest looking like a cat who got the cream. Literally. He had it all over his body! Even down on his stomach and on to his-"

"I think that's enough!" Edge spoke loudly shooting Adam a look that made him swallow and glance at Bruce. I glanced at Bruce myself and saw he was trying to hide a smile in his wine glass.

Adge was still watching Edge. Bono was watching the table and Larry was staring at the ceiling muttering under his breath, "Not one night of peace. Not even one."

Paul, who had mostly been silent up until then stood and smiled. "I hear the view from the balcony is a sight to see. Shall we?" Bruce, Edge, and Larry quickly agreed and stood while the rest of us stayed silent. What the heck was going on? Adge and Bono and whipped cream? And why was everyone joking about me and Adam fighting like it was no big deal?

"Come on Red. Lets get some fresh air." Bono laid a hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him in surprise. I hadn't even noticed him getting up. I nodded then and went to join everyone on the balcony. Then maybe I could get some answers.

~~~U2~~~

We all moved onto the balcony, enjoying the view. While Bruce, Paul, Larry, and Edge started up a conversation about the pains of touring the rest of us hung around in comfortable silence.

Bono was leaning against the rail, looking out over the city with an unusual silence about him. Adge was sitting in a deck chair and watching Bruce with a look in her eyes I'd rather note put a label on and Adam was leaning against the sliding door glass carefully holding his wrist and smiling every once in a while and interjecting something into the guys' conversation. I took all this in from my spot standing in between Adge sitting and Bono standing.

"Don't you think Bruce has the hottest ass?" Adge asked, looking hungrily at the ass in question.

"Oh my god!" I laughed and slunk into the chair next to her when Bono glanced at me. I leaned in toward Adge and tried to get her attention. "Adge...Aaadge!"

She finally tore her gaze away from Bruce and smiled faintly. "yeah?"

"What's going on with you? All through dinner you looked at Bruce like he was dessert and now it's worse. It's that even possible."

Adge looked at me like I'd grown an extra head. "What...don't you think he's hot? Hello he's Bruce Springsteen! He's got the hottest ass ever."

Grinning widely I said, "okay yeah I know who he is and he might have a nice ass but if you keep saying that he's going to hear you!"

"That might be a good thing..."

"Adge!"

She grinned and shrugged. "I don't know what's going on with me. Maybe it has to do with the baby but every hot guy I see makes me all horny and I want to jump his bones. I can't help it."

"Even Edge?" I asked curiously.

Adge's lips twisted and she glanced over at her husband who was laughing at something Bruce had just said. "Especially Edge. I've been jumping him every night. It's insane. Last night I couldn't get enough. I was afraid I'd broken him after that fourth time." She laughed.

I gaped. "Four times? Damn..." I could feel my eyes glaze over as I thought about that. Edge...four times..

"Red!"

I jerked and saw Adge grinning at me. "Stop picturing having sex with my man."

I flushed beet red and smiled shamefacedly. "Sorry. Couldn't help it."

"It's okay I don't blame you he's perfect." I nodded, maybe a little too enthusiastically and Adge narrowed her eyes at me. "Are you fancying Edge now?"

"Haha you wish. That would give you the perfect reason to kick my arse and blow off some of that sexual energy."

Adge groaned and chugged her water. "Don't say sexual."

I laughed, "Sorry."

She waved a hand in dismissal. "Anyway, Edge makes me feel so young these days. Like we're in high school again and not in our late twenty's and starting a family. I just get carried away with it all."

"But if it's Edge making you feel that way then why do you need to check out Bruce? Or rather his ass..."

Adge grinned, her eyes traveling to the guys again. I couldn't tell if she was watching Edge or Bruce. "There's no harm in looking is there?"

"Um..I guess not.." I said hesitantly and then watched Adge's eyes glaze as she probably started a fantasy in her head with whoever she was drooling over. "Adge?"

"Hmm..."

I rolled my eyes. "Adge...Is it Bruce again? Or Edge this time?"

"What?" She blinked and looked back at me. I repeated my question and she groaned. "No. I was looking at Larry. He looks so hot in those pants I think I can see the dimples in his ass."

I laughed hysterically. "Adge oh god. Larry does have a nice butt. Though I think you better snap out of it before he catches you looking. I'll slap you if you want." I held in my giggles at Adge's frown.

"It wont come to that. I'll slap myself if I need to. This is so wrong. God. I'm seriously attracted to every guy here...well maybe not Paul. He's more like a big brother."

"Yeah. Well I don't blame you. Every one is looking good tonight." My eye roamed over Edge's well dressed form and then I looked away and snorted. I didn't need to start staring as well!

"Better then good." Adge smiled and sighed as her eyes drifted away. I followed her gaze and covered my mouth to keep the laughter in when I saw Adge was checking out Adam now.

"Damn Adge are you checking out my man?"

Adge gasped and jerked her eyes away from Adam's package. "Oh my god! I was not just looking at Adam's crotch! I didn't even realize I was doing it that time!" She covered her eyes wearily. "Maybe I should go to bed before I make a complete ass of myself."

"Who's making an ass of themselves?" Bono asked as he pulled up a chair next to Adge and wrapped an arm around her. She dropped her hand and flushed.

"Bono I don't think you should sit there." She squeaked out and I didn't bother hiding my face splitting smile.

Bono arched a brow at Adge. "Why not? Saving it for Edge?"

"No...just don't sit there. Please."

Bono frowned and turned to me. "What's going on with Aids here?"

"Aids." I muttered and then louder said, "I don't know...she's just out of sorts tonight. You know with the baby and all..."

Bono was concerned now and turned a soft loving smile onto Adge. "Aww love would you like me to give you a back or a foot rub? I hear that helps a lot."

Adge looked at me, desperate to get away from Bono before she jumped on him. "No thanks B. I think I'll just go to bed."

Bono stood and helped Adge up. He pulled her against him and kissed her cheek. "I'll walk you to your room love."

Adge swallowed audibly. "I don't know...."

"Of course I'll walk you love." Bono insisted cheerfully. "Oh, we'll want to say goodnight to Bruce first. Come on."

Adge sent me a murderous look probably for not helping her out. I just grinned and got up to go with them. I wasn't missing the good night scene.

The guys broke off their conversation to say goodnight to Adge. Bruce stepped forward to kiss Adge's cheek and I swore I saw him slip her a piece of paper but I couldn't be sure. Adge's face didn't give away anything.

After Bruce stepped back Edge came forward to take Adge's hand but Bono stopped him with a airy, "That's okay The Edge. I'll be taking Aids, you don't need to trouble yourself. I can see you're having a nice time here so I'll just tuck the little woman in and be back in a skip shall I?"

We all saw Edge hesitate before he nodded and kissed Adge gently and I was the only one close enough besides Bono to hear Edge's murmured, "Take care love. I'll be to bed soon."
Adge nodded, a little strained and let Bono lead her inside.

I watched them until they disappeared out the dining door before it hit me. Maybe I should follow them just to make sure nothing happened? But Adge wasn't that bad, she still had some measure of control. And besides with her belly sticking out two feet it's not like Bono couldn't fight her off. Unless Bono didn't want to fight her off....he had called her Aids...and he called Edge THE Edge. Which always meant he was up to something. But could anything really happen? I mean Adge was pregnant with Edge's baby so I really didn't think so but there was always the slight chance...

I took a deep breath and realized I was poised by the glass door where Adam was leaning. I glanced at him and started when I saw him watching me.

"Don't even think about it." He warned sternly.

I swallowed. "But Adge is out of control...she was even checking out your crotch!"

Adam smirked. "Oh what a tragedy."

"I'm serious! She was looking at you like she wanted to strip you down and take you! And she looked at...er other men the same way."

Adam laughed but then his eyes widened. "Shite. She never looks sideways at me. Maybe she does need someone..." His expression turned thoughtful. "Okay you go...but just to see if they're okay. Then leave. All right?"

I nodded and grinned. "I'll be back then. See you." I started inside but Adam's fingers wrapping around my wrist stopping me. Adam pulled me back and into his arms. I looked up at him, startled. "Adam-" My next words were lost in Adam's mouth as he kissed me breathless. It was hot, wet, and damn sexy. We pulled away for air, both of us gasping.

"Adam-"

I was cut off again, this time by Adam grinning and pushing me away. "Go do your spying, I'll see you back in our room. Don't make me wait long." The huskiness of his voice sent shivers down my spine and I hurried out of the private dining hall.

hello all! :wave: yay another chapter is ready to go! I'm nervous about posting this one...mostly because it has a scene with Bono that I'm convinced I would not have written if I hadn't been reading Carrie's story Ripping the Stitches and got pulled into Bonoland. :crazy:

Not that I mind really. I love it actually :drool: I've just never even thought about writing a love scene with Bono before but suddenly I'm inspired..so my thanks to Carrie :wink:

I had to edit this chapter because of that scene with Bono :shifty: so if anyone wants the unedited version just leave your email and I'll be sure you get it. :D

sooo this is rated R for language and heavy making out with Bono :lol:

I hope you all like it! Enjoy :)

Exit - Chapter 17

I made it to Adge and Edge’s room just in time to see Bono step into the hall and close the door sharply. When he leaned against it instead of walking away I was surprised and held back, thinking he might need a moment alone. But that led me to wonder what the heck had just happened that he would need a moment alone.

I knew I was right though when Bono turned his face into the door and sighed. His whole body sagged against the hard wood and he lifted one hand as if to knock but instead his hand slowly curled into a fist and fell back to his side. What was going on? From what I could see of Bono’s face, which wasn’t much, it looked like his best friend had just died.

Well I can’t just stand by and do nothing! I thought, if anything I had to find out what was going on. Or maybe I should mind my own business. That last thought gave me a uncomfortable squirming feeling in my stomach and I sighed as I cautiously moved toward Bono. He must’ve heard my approach because his back stiffened and he quickly straightened, rubbing a hand roughly over his face. When he turned to face me he was back to his smiling easy going self.

“Red...come to check up on me?” He teased, leaning a shoulder against Adge‘s door.. “Did you not trust me alone with the mother to be?” His grin was strained, and the eyes around his eyes were more pronounced. I frowned as I came closer.

Bono couldn’t fool me, no matter what he was thinking. Under that bright teasing exterior I could see the hurt. Especially in his eyes. Bono’s eyes were the window to his soul and now was no different. I stared into his smiling face and saw the pain lying just beneath the surface.

“Bono what happened?” There was no sense in beating around the bush. I knew Bono would only evade me with forced cheerfulness until he could make his escape.

His grin didn’t diminish. “I don’t know what you mean love.”

“Bono...I’ve known you too long you can’t fool me.”

Bono laughed and pulled himself away from the door, I noted that his left hand lingered on the doorknob longer then necessary and wondered what that was about. “I guess I can’t fool you can I?” Bono asked with a crooked grin as he put an arm around me and led me away from Adge’s door.

“Bono I was going to talk to Adge...” I gestured back to her room, noting the momentary look of panic in Bono’s eyes. “I thought she might like the company-”

“She’s probably sleeping by now!” Bono insisted rather loudly, putting his hand on my back and urging me forward. I frowned up at him in confusion. He avoided eye contact as he went on more calmly, “You wouldn’t want to wake her would you? We all know what a dragon she is when she doesn‘t get her beauty sleep.” Bono tittered out a nervous laugh at his joke and I pulled away from him and placed my hands on my hips.

“Bono what the fuck is going on?”

“Oh all right.“ Bono sighed and his shoulders swooped in defeat. That was rather easy. I thought in surprise. Maybe too easy. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. It wouldn’t be beyond Bono to try to distract me.

“So?” I asked with a bite of agitation.

Bono sighed again and ran a hand through his hair before giving me a pleading look. “Can we at least go somewhere more...private?” He glanced around us wearily. “I don’t want to be airing out my dirty laundry so to speak.”

“I don’t know-“

“Please?“ Bono bated his eyes at me and stuck his lip out in an adorable pout. My heart squeezed.

Vowing not to let Bono see how he affected me, still, after all these years, damn him. I rolled my eyes and huffed. “Okay. Lets go to your room since it’s closer.”

Bono’s eyes lit with relief and he grabbed my hand and yanked me down the hall. I had a sinking feeling that I’d just done exactly what Bono had wanted me to all along. What I didn’t know yet was if that was a good thing or not.

~~~U2~~~

“Would you like something to drink?” Bono asked politely as he opened the room to his door and stood back to wave me in.

I walked in past him still feeling a little unnerved by his mood in the hall. And the fact that one look from him had me practically melting. Ugh. “Sure a drink sounds...“ My voice faded and my eyes widened at the pig sty around me. “Um Bono don‘t you have a maid come clean your room?”

Bono looked around sheepishly. “Yes, but I was anxious this morning and couldn’t find my favorite belt. I guess I kinda got carried away looking for it.”

I picked up a banana peel and held it up with a raised eyebrow. Bono flushed. “I...eh..”

laughing I put Bono out of his misery as I tossed the peel into a little trash can by Bono‘s bed. “It’s fine. I know all about you being a scatter brain. There’s no need to explain after all these years.” I smirked at Bono’s insulted look.

“Hey! I’m not scattered...just more complex.” He explained haughtily and sniffed.

I rolled my eyes and sat on the end of the bed. “Whatever you say B.”

Bono leered as he walked over to one of his suitcases and started digging around. His hair swung down to cover part of his face but I still caught the flash of his eyes as he purred, “That’s just what I love to hear from a beautiful woman on my bed.”

I laughed and leaned forward placing my elbows on my knees as I studied Bono crouched on the ground sifting through his belongings. “Looking for something?”

He nodded. “Ye- ah ha! Found it.” Grinning, Bono stood and held out a bottle of whisky triumphantly. His eyes sparkled. “The drinks are on me.”

~~~U2~~~

Several shots, swigs, and gulps later...

“No no. That’s not how you do it!“ Bono reprimanded me in a slurred voice as we both lay on his bed with our limbs tangled together in his sheets and sweat clinging to our bodies. Bono grabbed my face with both hands and sighed as he pulled me close. My lower body shifted closer and I felt his thighs brush over mine before settling firmly against my heated flesh. Ooh that feels nice. I thought and smiled and as I looked up at Bono fuzzily. I tried to meet his eyes but he was too busy staring at my lips. “You’re lips are too...tight. Loosen them up or it’ll never work.”

I nodded eagerly, dislodging Bono’s hands. Pity. “Mmkay. Show me?”

Bono rolled his eyes but then pursed his lips. I stared at his mouth, rapt, wondering what would happen if I leaned in and kissed those pouty full lips. Would they taste good? Would Bono kiss me back? Would I moan? “You’re not doing it!”

I started guiltily, tearing my eyes from Bono‘s mouth and meeting his eyes. “Sorry. Here goes.” I pursed my lips like Bono and scrunching my face up in concentration I gave my best attempt. Nothing whatsoever. I growled in frustration and let my head fall onto the pillow.

Bono scooted away from me, taking his delicious warmth with him, and propped up on the headboard. Luckily his body was only inches from mine and I could still feel the heat radiating from him. “Not everyone gets it right the first time...or the second.” He added with a tiny glance at me from under his lashes.

“Or the hundredth?” I asked, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Bono chuckled from above me. “You did give it your all. That counts for something.”

I shook my head and rolled over onto my back. “I guess I’m just not meant to whistle.”

“Never give up I always say. Try try again. Never let the bastards keep you down.”

“Bono I get it.” I interrupted his rant and pulled myself into a sitting position. The room spun and I gasped and swayed.

“Careful love.“ Bono said with a trace of humor and put a steadying hand on my shoulder. “Sat up too fast did you?“

I nodded weakly, closing my eyes when the room continued to spin.

“Come here.“ This came out as an order and in my state I wasn’t about to argue. I laid my head against Bono’s bare chest and rubbed my cheek against the hairs tickling me. Oh god it felt so good. Bono felt like a furnace and it was heaven. He hummed and brought a hand to stroke my hair. “Better?”

“Oh god yeah.” I breathed and Bono’s chest vibrated with his laugh.

“I think you’ve had one too many shots Red.”

I frowned and squinted at the clock across the room. How long had we been drinking anyway? I gave up trying to see and closed my eyes, listening to Bono’s heart beat under my ear. “Are you saying I’m drunk? I don’t feel drunk. Am I?”

“I’d say you’re quite pissed.”

“Oh. Are you too?” I thought about lifting my head so I could see for myself if Bono was grinning at my drunken state but decided against it when I remembered how everything had started spinning last time. “I’m tired.” I yawned as if to prove my point. “But I’m not ready to go to bed.”

“Why not love?” Bono inquired, sounding a little sleepy himself.

“Um...“ I thought hard, trying to recapture my train of thought. “Oh! ‘Cause I need to ask you...ask you...what’s wrong?”

Bono‘s hand stilled in my hair. “Nothing at all. I’m flying above the clouds. Nothing and no one can reach me here.”

I thought about that. “You know what Bono?”

“What?”

“I don’t understand half of what you say.”

Bono breathed out a chuckle. “Neither do I.” We lay in comfortable silence for a while and my eyes grew heavier. I still had a nagging feeling that I wasn’t done talking to Bono yet though. I just couldn’t go to sleep! Knowing there was only one thing that would help me become aware, I groggily lifted a hand to my face and slapped myself.

Bono jumped at the sound and his hand moved from my hair to grasp my wrist. “What the fuck was that?”

“I hit myself to stay awake.”

“Why?!” I giggled at Bono‘s astonished question.

“Because I need to stay awake so you can tell me what’s bothering you.”

“Nothing is bothering me.” Bono said in exasperation.

I lifted my head, and was happy when the room didn’t spin quite as much. I turned to glare at Bono but the glare left me as I saw his tear streaked face. How long had he been crying!? All that time I hadn‘t seen his face?

“Bono? I knew something was wrong!“ I cried and sat up a bit more. I reached out and tenderly wiped at Bono‘s cheeks, feeling myself start to panic. Seeing Bono cry was not the best thing in the world! I calmed down a little when Bono didn‘t pull away from my soothing touch but leaned into me with a sigh.

“What’s the matter?” I asked, trying to hide how concerned I was but Bono saw right through it and smiled as he shrugged.

“It’s not so bad. Bloody drink makes me emotional.”

“More emotional you mean.” I said this with a hesitant smile, trying to lighten the mood. Bono snorted and looked away. I bit my lip and scooted up to him. I wrapped my arms around him in a loose hug. Bono turned back to me and I brushed his hair back and leaned our foreheads together.

“Maybe I can help? You can tell me..” I put the offer out there and waited patiently. I didn’t have to wait long. After a few minutes Bono started talking.

“I don’t know how it happened...again. It shouldn’t have! I have Ali. None of this makes sense.”

I tried to piece together what he was saying but it just wasn‘t enough. Not for my still intoxicated self anyway. “What did happen?”

Bono groaned and I pulled back and saw his eyes were closed. Because he doesn’t want to look at me? Or he doesn’t want to face this... “Bono?”

Bono opened his eyes slowly and said in a small voice, “I’m in love.”

I froze and tried to find answers in his level blue gaze. “What? But...it’s not Ali?”

Bono shook his head and pulled his lower lip between his teeth. I stared at him in growing horror. “Is it...Adge...?”

Bono gulped and whispered shakily. “Y-Yes.”

Hearing that was like having a bucket of cold water pored over my head and all I could do was stare in shocked silence.

Suddenly Bono leaned over the side of the bed farthest away from me and came back with the bottle of whiskey. He took a healthy gulp of it and leaned back into the pillows staring straight ahead of him with a dull look in his eyes.

“Say something.” Bono’s strained whisper made me jump as if he’d yelled.

I brought a hand to my forehead and groaned. “We shouldn’t be drunk while we’re having this conversation.”

Bono‘s mouth twisted and he turned his face toward me. “We might not be having it if we were sober. It helps.“

“I’m willing to agree with that. Probably only because I don‘t want to be sober right now.” I sighed as I leaned into Bono’s shoulder, resting my head against his.

Bono snorted, took another swig of the bottle and offered it to me. I pulled my head away as I took it thankfully and swallowed a good shot or two. I coughed and my eyes watered as the alcohol burned it’s way down my throat and settled as a pocket of warmth in my stomach.

“That’s better isn’t it love?” Bono asked with a glint in his eye.

I blinked at him. “Yes it is...I think I’m ready to say something now...” Bono braced himself with one hand on the bed between us watching me like I was about to explode. He wasn’t far off. I took a deep breath and screamed, “ARE YOU INSANE!?”

Bono barely flinched. “I just might be.”

His serious tone deflated my anger and left me confused. I stared at him trying to read his emotions. His face was so...flat. “I don’t understand. You loved her before...” Suddenly a thought occurred that had me gasping for breath. “You...you’ve loved her all this time?”

Bono smiled grimly. “No, I did fall out of love eventually. But it makes me feel so much better to see the horror in your eyes. Thanks Red.”

“I can’t help it!” I yelled tugging at my hair. “This is too much! I’ve had so much shit going on in the past few days and now this-”

“Not everything revolves around you in case you hadn’t noticed.” Bono snapped angrily.

I was insulted and huffed at him. “I know that!”

“Apparently you don’t!” He snarled and jerked himself off of the bed to stalk across the room.

“Bono! Get back here! We’re not done talking!”

Bono whirled and glared. My voice died in my throat as he quickly approached me. He leaned down putting his face inches from mine and hissed, “Do you think I want to talk about this? Do you think I want to have my heart ripped open again!? NO I DO NOT!” He roared and I cringed away from his anger, curling myself into a ball against the headboard.

He noticed and his anger evaporated into something akin to shame as he moaned. “Bloody hell. Love...Amber I’m sorry. I...” He broke off, his voice cracking and his face crumbling as the tears started flowing again. “I’m sorry.” He said again and wiped at his face. “I didn’t mean to yell. I’ve just...been holding things in for so long.”

I slowly uncurled myself as Bono stood silently by the bed, crying and looking defeated. I knew he hadn’t meant to yell. Bono did loose his temper on occasion but he mostly always regretted it. We both stayed silent and still in the growing tension. I wasn’t sure what to say or do. I’d never been faced with a broken Bono. Not like this.

“Love.” Bono croaked, bring my eyes to his face. I felt like crying at the sheer pain radiating from him. He managed a crooked smile and asked quietly through his tears. “Forgive me?”

I nodded immediately, glad for the opening, and stood to cautiously wrap my arms around Bono’s waist. He leaned into me and clutched me like a life line.

“I’m here for you Bono.” I whispered into his chest. He chocked and buried his face in my neck as he sobbed out his built up pain.

~~~U2~~~
I woke up groggily and looked around me in confusion. This wasn’t my room. And the man with his arms around me with his legs wrapped possessively over mine and his face buried in my neck was NOT Adam. What the...? My panic started to build.

Then Bono sighed and shifted, brushing his lips over the back of my neck in a feather light kiss. My eyes widened then returned to normal when the past couple hours came rushing back. I was laying with Bono in his bed and starting to feel the worlds worst hangover. I bit back a groan and lifted my head, which was quite difficult with Bono leeched onto me, and tried to get a peek at the alarm clock by his bed.

When I focused on the blinking red letters I gaped. It was just past one in the morning! I’d been with Bono for over five hours! I needed to get out of here and get to Adam...and then Adge! Oh bloody hell Bono was in love with Adge. This couldn’t be happening again.

And I still didn’t know HOW it had happened. Bono was a mess and I hadn’t gotten anything more out of him. He’d cried himself to sleep in my arms and I’d been to scared of what he’d do if he woke up alone so I’d made a decision and managed to get us both on the bed and settled down. And I still wasn’t sure if I should leave him.

Maybe I could reach the phone? I glanced at where it sat about four feet away and bit my lip as I tried to free one of my legs from beneath Bono’s. Bono moaned in his sleep, his arms tightening around me and I sighed and I laid my head back onto the bed. Adam was going to kill me.

~~~U2~~~

I woke the second time and found that I was the only one in bed. I sat up quickly and my vision swam putting everything in waves around. My stomach heaved and I groaned and laid back down slowly. Keeping my body as still as possible I thought about my options. I could lay here until my stomach stopped trying to jump up my throat. Then I could get up and attempt to find Bono. Or I could stay perfectly still and call out for him making him come to me. The latter sounded like the better idea.

“Bono?” I called out hesitantly, my voice was so scratchy it came out as barely a whisper. I cleared my throat and almost gagged at the taste of cigarettes in my mouth. I couldn‘t even remember smoking. Ugh. “Bono?“ My voice was a bit louder this time. No answer came. “Bono!”

“Stop screaming!” Came a strangled voice from the loo. I lifted my head enough to stare at the bathroom door. So that’s where Bono was.

“Sorry.” I said in as low a voice as I could manage. I hoped he could still hear me. “Are you okay?”

I heard a definite snort. “What do you think love?”

I flinched. “Right. You want to puke your guts up too then?”

Bono groaned and I heard what could only be him doing that exactly. I gagged again and covered my ears. “Oh god.” I waited what I hoped was long enough before lowering my hands and listening. Absolute silence. I wanted to call out again to see if Bono was ok but decided against it. He had been hangover before so I knew he’d survive.

Myself on the other hand was a totally different question. I covered my face with my hands and breathed slowly. My stomach had calmed down a little and the dizziness was gone, but I knew it would come raging back once I tried to stand again. I was just about to attempt that when the phone rang.

I gripped my throbbing head. “Ow! Oh god.”

“Answer the fucking thing!” Bono yelled and I flinched and nodded as I scrambled up to a sitting position, ignoring the feeling that my head was about to explode, and yanked the phone off the hook and to my ear.

“What the hell do you want?” I growled menacingly.

“Bono?” Shite Larry!

“No he’s in the loo. Call back later.” I moved to hang up.

“Wait! Red is that you?” Larry snorted. “I figured you‘d be gone by now. Adam owes me ten rounds of drinks. Ha.”

I stilled. “What? Adam knows I’m here?”

“He called me when you didn’t come home last night. After I got him to stop throwing things I told him that you were probably with Adge or Bono.“ I inwardly cursed at the mention of Adam’s anger. Larry went on. “Since Adge told us you weren’t with her we figured you were with Bono. I called last night. Bono didn‘t tell you?”

I flushed and glanced at the still closed bathroom door. “No he must’ve forgot. Bono and I had a bit to drink last night...”

“No shit.” Larry said dryly. “It took me five minutes longer then usual to get Bono to shut up and listen. But he did say everything was fine...” Larry paused and I heard the concern in his voice when he asked, “Everything okay?”

I sighed. “To tell you the truth I have no idea. I still need to talk to Bono. What time is it? I can’t focus on anything.”

Larry chuckled. “A good bottle of whiskey will do that to you. It’s a little after 9. We don’t need to be anywhere for a few hours so you’ve got till then to do...whatever.” I flushed at the undercurrent of Larry’s words. Surely he didn’t think anything was going on between me and Bono? The idea was just crazy. But everything seemed to be crazy lately. “Red?“

I sighed. “Still here. Thanks for calling Lar.“

“I did it for pure selfish reasons. You see, I’d hate to see Adam this early if I didn’t have some news about you. I’ll call him and tell him where you are. Maybe then he wont try to punch my lights out again.”

“He hit you!?”

“I’m not complaining. I can take a punch as well as the next man.” Larry actually sounded insulted and I backpedaled.

“Of course you can. I didn’t mean that. I just didn’t think Adam would do something like that.”

“Well he did. And it was a piss poor attempt too. Could have to do with the fact he used his sprained hand though....”

I gasped. “Did he hurt himself?”

Larry snorted. “Not much. He’ll be fine. And I’ll tell him...things are okay.”

I was enormously relieved Larry was offering to explain things to Adam and hoped it was evident in my voice. “Thanks Lar. I owe you for this.”

He laughed. “And I’ll enjoy making you pay.” He hung up. I sighed and managed, with my shaky hand, to get the phone back in the receiver. I didn’t hear the loo door open.

“Who was that?” Bono was leaning against the loo door and looked like hell. His hair was tangled around his pale face and he had major bags under his eyes.

“It was Larry.“ I said and then added, “You look about as worse as I feel.”

Bono nodded and pressed his lips together tightly as he pushed away from the wall. He stumbled over to me and collapsed on the bed with a moan. His face was pressed into the pillows and he moved it to the side facing me. His eyes were tightly closed and I knew he was suffering from a killer headache.

I slowly laid back down next to him, my face level with his. “Larry said he called last night. Funny you didn’t mention it.”

Bono stayed silent and I turned onto my side to face him and watched his brows tighten as the pain heightened. “Bono?” I whispered, not wanting to make his headache worse.

He sighed and opened one bloodshot eye. “I remember he called but I don’t remember what we talked about.”

“Apparently you talked his ear off.” I smiled at Bono’s grunt. His one open eye was focused on my face as I went on, “And he called to ask if I was with you. Adam was looking for me....he probably thought...” My throat tightened and I had to clear it before going on.

Bono suddenly looked worried. “What?”

“He might have thought I left.”

Bono’s eye widened. “He wouldn’t think that.”

“Lar said Adam tried to hit him and was throwing stuff. Sounds like he was upset. What would make him act like that...?” Bono didn’t seem to know the answer so I went on in a tight whisper. “I’ll tell you what. He thought I’d left to go to David. And if he thought that then we really have no more trust between us. There’s nothing.”

“Don’t cry love.” I hadn’t realized I was until Bono said so. I touched my wet face and sighed. “Adam still loves you.” Bono said, both of his eyes watching me now. “You know he does or he’d never gone to the effort to forgive you.”

“But that’s the problem!” I yelled, Bono flinched and I lowered my voice back to a whisper. “Sorry. That’s the problem B. I don’t think Adam has forgiven me. We didn’t even talk about it. He just pretended to be drunk earlier and I apologized. Then he said he loved me and that was it! No long talk about our relationship and how we need to build up trust. No talk about where we’re to go from here. Just him saying it was done and we’re moving on whether I want to or not.”

Bono frowned. “Adam said you’re moving on?” I nodded wearily and Bono smiled slowly. “Well that it’s love. He’s forgiven you.”

I stared at Bono in mock horror. “Nooo not another one!” Bono looked confused. “I mean, you’re not making sense! How do you know he’s forgiven me because he said we’re moving on? That could just mean he wants to live in denial about everything and go back to how things were before any of this happened!”

“And what’s wrong with that?” Bono asked, looking genuinely confused. “Isn’t that what you want? To go back to when everything was good between the two of you?”

“Everything hasn’t been good between us in forever!” I interjected in complete frustration. “I’ve been unhappy for some time I just didn’t realize it!”

Bono wrinkled his brow as he thought this over. “Unhappy how?”
I hesitated. “I...I don’t know.”

Bono gave me a measured look and I cracked.

“Okay! I’m unhappy with our life. Just...Adam has to spend so much time thinking about the band and what’s best for the band. Sometimes...sometimes I feel like U2 is more important then me.” Bono’s eyes flashed with anger and he opened his mouth to protest that but I cut him off. “Please let me finish.” I begged.

Bono closed his mouth and nodded, although he didn’t look happy. “That’s not all of it. Lately...maybe over the past few months I’ve been thinking about Adam and our future. The whole wedding thing really fucked with my mind, but then Adam proposed and I was so happy. But there’s still a doubt in my mind...”

“What doubt?” Bono pressed me after a minute of silence.

I bit my lip and looked directly into Bono’s eyes. “I can’t help but doubt my love for him. Why do I keep going after other men? It’s not normal.”

Bono brushed his hair away from his face. “What men? I know about David but who else?”

I blanched and looked away. “Well there was Guggi...then I thought I had a thing for Edge then everything with David. And more recently, as in like the past few weeks, I‘ve been thinking about...um....”

“Who?” Bono asked his eyes telling me I was safe and could tell him anything. “It’s all right love.“ His soothing voice and his controlled and serious expression made me want to blurt it out and get it over with. But I could also see the tension in his shoulders. Did he already suspect my answer? Oh God.

“I don’t-”

“Tell me.” He demanded, reaching out and taking my hand firmly in his. His thumb moved in small circles over my palm.

I met his eyes, swallowed thickly and said quickly, “You. Okay? I’ve been thinking about you.”

Bono didn’t let go of my hand but his grip tightened while his eyes darkened. “I had no idea.”

“Well how could you.” I said weakly and attempted a smile. “It’s not like I think anything will happen. I have Adam after all and I know you don’t want me so...”

Bono lifted an eyebrow. “How do you know I don’t want you?”

I shifted, uncomfortable with the track this conversation was taking. “Well...we’ve just never had that connection. I mean we spent that one night together but nothing happened.”

Bono grinned suddenly and I felt lightheaded. “You’re still telling yourself nothing happened after all these years?”

“Well it’s true...isn’t it?” My eyes went huge at the mischievous smile Bono gave me. “No way Bono.”

“Yes way.” His eyes were twinkling now and I gulped for air, feeling like I was hyperventilating.

“We....we....we...”

“Made love.” Bono finished for me and pulled me into his arms. I stiffened, my mouth opening and closing. “Breath love. Breath.” Bono said huskily into my ear and I obeyed pulling a lungful of air in and expelling it out in a gasp. “I still remember that night.” Bono said and I yanked back to meet his amused gaze.

“YOU REMEMBER!?” I screamed and then accused, “And you never told me!? WHY NOT!?”

Bono seemed unfazed by my screaming and met my hysterics with a calm smile. “I didn’t think you’d want me to. After all I knew you wanted to be with Adam and if he found out he’d have killed me most likely.” Bono chuckled. “I wasn’t about to risk my neck. I spent a whole week trying to figure out why you didn’t remember. I knew it couldn’t be my fault. I’m a very memorable lay. Or so I’ve been told.” Bono winked and I started laughing. Loudly. Crazily. Bono tightened his hold on me looking slightly alarmed.

“Amber? What’s so funny?”

“I....I remember NOW!”

Bono eyes widened. “You remember? Really?”

I nodded vigorously. “Just now...you reminded me. And I know you’re lying. You know why I didn’t remember until just now!“ Bono bit his lip guiltily and I gasped. “I can’t believe this! I remember I-I was in shock from Adam leaving after he told me to fuck off and they, Edge and Larry and Adge I think, put me in bed with you. You were upset about Ali leaving you and were stoned. I...I must’ve fallen asleep for a while but then I woke up and saw you.” I stared into Bono’s blue eyes, feeling overwhelmed with memories. “You were awake and watching me with such an intense look. And then you told me I was so beautiful and you wondered why you’d never kissed me before.”

Bono grinned, a faint blush rising in his cheeks. “It was true. You were and are beautiful.” I pictured myself now, a rats nest of hair and foul breath.

“Oh yeah I’m a catch.” I laughed and went on in a totally serious tone. “You kissed me. It was so hot and oh god your tongue. I thought I was going to die it was so good.” Bono was turning a bit red now but he looked proud nonetheless and a little turned on maybe? Oh god. “We made out like crazy.” I gulped, wanting to stop but at the same time knowing I couldn’t.

Bono urged me on by murmuring my name. I took a deep breath and went on, “We started undressing each other, and I remember that I wanted to feel you against me. All of you. Your smell was intoxicating...”

***FLASHBACK to 1980***

As Bono hugged me and told me I was beautiful and he wanted to kiss me the whole world seemed to dissolve and there was only the two of us now. Bono pulled me much closer to him in the bed. My body was pressed firmly against his as we lay on our sides, and I gasped when I very much noticed Bono’s aroused state. Bloody hell, was that because of me?

Bono whispered my name, his hand moving to cup my hips. I tried to pull back, but he held me fast.

“Bono,” I whispered back, suddenly realizing I sounded much more intimate than I intended.

Bono must’ve taken my tone as encouragement, because he looked into my eyes and said, “I need you. So much. You’re sunshine to my cloudy soul.”

A warm shiver coursed through me. What was happening!? This wasn't making any sense. I’m with Adam! Aren’t I? But no...he’d left. Left me and was gone. But for good? I didn’t know. And suddenly didn’t care. Bono’s body was so close to mine. And he smelt so good! I couldn’t stop my body's reaction to him and I didn’t want to.

“Bono...kiss-.”

I was cut off by his searing kiss. There was nothing slow and tender about it. It was not like anything I’d ever experienced before. Bono’s kiss was hot, demanding, and it nearly killed me.

I was sweltering, shaking, but enjoying every second. As Bono forced his tongue inside, I moaned at the intrusion. His arms had wandered to my lower back, and one hand settled on my bum. As Bono deepened the kiss, swirling and tasting and claiming, I found myself finally kissing him back.

Before that I’d been too absorbed in the feelings coursing through me but now I kissed Bono back and he moaned, realizing that I wasn’t going to push him away his kiss slowed, deepened and I was utterly helpless in his arms. We broke apart for much needed air and the hungry expression on Bono’s face caused my breathing to quicken. Bono moved down, planting hurried and sloppy kisses along my jaw.

“Bono,” I moaned.

“Love...waited so long,” he breathed in my ear.

He nibbled my ear, tickling the bit of my neck just below it, and trailed his kisses along to the crook of my neck. I gasped; that was THE spot, the one that made my crazy.

“Oh God. Bono please.” I begged, but I didn't know if I was begging him to stop or to keep going. When he stared to pull back I whimpered and gripped his waist." What-”

“Shh. love it’s okay.” Bono soothed, his lips moving back to my mouth as his hands wandered to the front of my tee shirt.

When I felt his hand slip beneath my tee, it flickered through my mind that now was the time to try and utter a protest. Bono pulled back and looked down at me. I opened my mouth to say something, what I didn’t know, but Bono silenced me with another kiss.

~Edited~

We laid there, still joined, trying to catch our breath for long moments. I arched up and kissed Bono with all the feeling I had left. Bono returned my kiss, and gently pulled out to lay next to me

Curling up next to Bono, I laid my head against his chest, content. I was just dozing off when Bono’s voice roused me, “Amber?”

I didn’t bother lifting my head as I answered. “Hmm?”

“Was it...good?”

I giggled. “Bono you are a very memorable lay.”

He chuckled and hugged me close. “Love?”

“Hmm?”

“Don’t remember this okay? Forget it ever happened.”

Sleep was pulling at me and I focused on Bono‘s soft voice. “Mmkay.”

“Promise me.”

“I promise.” I said, on the brink of sleep. Before I faded away completely I felt a soft brush of lips on my forehead, Bono’s murmured, “I love you,“ and then I was gone.

***End flashback***

Bono and I lay in complete silence after I finished telling him what I remembered. My whole body felt on fire just from the memories. I didn’t know quite what to feel. My stomach was clenched tight but not with anxiety. No...I was turned on. I felt a flush spreading over my face. I’d slept with Bono! Oh my god! How could I have forgotten!?

“I told you to.”

I blinked, knowing I must’ve spoken my last thought aloud. I turned back onto my side facing Bono. He was biting his lower lip and looking extremely guilty.

“I shouldn’t have taken advantage of you in the first place and then I told you to forget...I never thought it would work.” His eyes went glassy. “I thought the next morning when you were rushing to get dressed that you remembered and hated me. When I realized that you didn’t remember a thing I was devastated...but happy. I knew that you and Adam belonged together and what had happened was a mistake. But...it’s all my fault.” Bono’s eyes filled with tears and he quickly turned his face away and tried to blink them away.

I shook my head and was quick to say, “You didn’t take advantage. I wanted it as much as you did.”

“But you were hurt from Adam!” Bono was obviously punishing himself for this and I sighed and pulled him into a hug.

He stiffened at first but when I whispered nonsense to him and petted his back he relaxed. “You were hurt from Ali...and Adge.” I flinched when I remembered that Ali had left Bono because of his feelings for Adge. This just got more and more complicated. I pushed those troubling thoughts aside and went on, “You were hurting just as much as I was. Maybe...maybe we needed to do what we did so we could heal and move on.”

Bono sighed into my hair. “Do you hate me?”

I laughed. “You mean do I hate you for giving me the most passionate night of my life? No I can’t say that I do.”

Bono pulled away, his brows raised in surprise. “It was the most passionate night of your life too?”

I grinned. “What do you mean too!? I know you’ve had better. And...well maybe it’s not the most passionate but it’s certainly up there...now that I remember it.” I frowned, still a little creeped out that I’d blocked it all out of my mind.

“Do you...still want me like that?” Bono asked, flushing to the roots of his hair. That’s how this had all started. Me saying I was feeling attracted to Bono. So I could understand why he would ask that but it still made me want to run and hide.

“Of course I am who isn’t.” I attempted to sound casual. “But I don’t think I want to sleep with you again. No I don’t.” I said firmly and prayed it was true.

Bono was looking ready to hit himself now. “I’m an arse. I shouldn’t have told you to forget.”

I rolled my eyes. “Bono I think that did have something to do with it, but ultimately it was my choice. I made the decision to forget not you. So stop feeling guilty. I'm going to need your help.”

“With what?” Bono asked warily, shifting on the blankets to sit back on his heels.

I hesitated then asked, “I need to know...have you ever told anyone?”

“No!” He said, shocked. “I couldn't ever do that to you. And besides if you didn’t remember then why should anyone believe me?”

I grinned at Bono’s frustrated look. He must’ve thought about this quite a bit. And why was I not more concerned? I just remembered that I’ve had sex with Bono. That should make me freak out right? But it wasn’t. I was surprisingly calm. Almost like some part of me had known all along. And it was true some part had known. And it seemed to make sense. For years when I was a teenager I’d loved Bono but never voiced it to anyone but Adge. Some part of me had known all along that being with Bono was unavoidable. And yes I did feel like I’d betrayed Adam but mostly I was happy. Happy that Bono and I got that chance to be together.

Bono suddenly paled, catching my full attention. “Bono?”

“Are-” He swallowed. “Are you going to tell Adam?”

My eyes went wide as saucers. “Do I look suicidal? If I ever tell Adam it’s not going to be anytime soon. He would murder me.”

“Or me.” Bono grumbled then he met my eyes, looking worried. “Will this makes things weird between us?”

“I hope not. But...maybe at first. I mean I’ll try not to show it ‘cause the last thing we want is someone to notice.”

Bono nodded. “As far as I’m concerned it wont change a thing between us. Except that you know so I wont have to pretend nothing happened.”

I sighed. “I’m glad I remember. At least I wont have to worry about what happened. the mystery is finally solved!”

Bono gaped at my cheerful tone. “You’re not angry? Not even a little?”

“No. I knew it would happen eventually.” I leaned in and kissed Bono’s gaping mouth lightly. “Now we need to talk about you.” I gave Bono my best intimidating look and he closed his mouth and gulped.

“Me? What about me?”

“About your feelings for Adge.” Bono looked like I’d just smacked him and I gulped, suddenly loosing my confidence and feeling the terrible awkwardness of the situation. I‘d had sex with Bono seven years ago...and was feeling attracted to him now. He was in love with Adge and Adge was the reason Ali had broken up with him years ago. It was like everything was coming full circle and it was making me feel ill.

“Or maybe not.” I quickly said, wanting to move past the awkwardness. “We shouldn’t...I need to process...everything. And I have to go see Adam and make sure he’s okay. Why don’t we talk later?”

Bono seemed relieved. “Okay. Later then. Tonight?“ I nodded. “But love...“ Bono said, stood and motioned for me to follow him. I stood, feeling my head start to pound, and my stomach flip as I walked up to Bono. He put his arms around me and held me tenderly as he leaned his cheek into mine. “Love...I...what happened with us...I never regretted it. I still don’t. It was-”

“Perfect.” I finished and felt his smile against my cheek.

“Yes, It was perfect.”

philly80 said:
oh - that was really sweet, i always wanted Bono and Red to get together!

can i have the un edited version?
philly80@hotmail.com

thank you! I know I've always wanted them to get together too. And now my mind is swirling with ideas about those two :shifty: there might be something more between Bono and Red later on. :wink:

Sure thing! Sent. :D

Wow, this was a great chapter, reading it left me breathless ... can I have the unedited version, too? :evil:

zypresse28 at yahoo.de

THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom