Exclusive: U2 May Call It A Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanover

The Fly
U2 May Retire After Next Album/Tour.

U2 Manager Paul McGuinness is now championing a new Irish band.

McGuinness was spotted at the Dublin combo's gig in the capital's Village last tuesday (feburary 10th).

U2 are due to release a new album later this year, but reports in Britain say that they may call it a day after it's release.

If the rumours are indeed true, no doubt this will be a huge shock to the countless U2 fans all over the world.

Meanwhile, McGuinness is set to be kept extra busy with his new outfit 'Rapture'.

The story broke in last weekend's Sunday World...a fairly reliable source.

To be perfectly honest, I really have a gut instinct that after the next 'one', so to speak...the guys will call it a day as a group and concentrate on different projects.
I can't visualise U2 rocking on into their 50's and 60's, it just doesn't seem like them, they've achieved everything and Bono always wanted to 'finish' with the record he and the rest of the band always dreamt of making.
So much work and time has gone into this new album and that's why I sincerely believe that it's going to be their swansong. I do hope that I'm proven wrong and honestly, I'll be quite upset if they do declare their stepping down, sometime in the not to distant future.

One can't but help face that awful truth that someone may know something we don't in relation to this story. What if it's true??? :confused: :sad:

Info source: Sunday World Newspaper, Ireland [Entertainment Section] 15-02-2004

U2 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Last edited:
I have very mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, I totally agree with the concept of going out while you are still on top and still fairly young. Some of these bands that keep at it well into old age do come off a little silly. Then again, having been a fan for so long, it's hard to imagine a world with no new U2 music or tours.

I agree. I'm not sure what to think here. I'm very stingy and hope that they don't cos I wouldn't want to stop hearing them but on the other hand I know they're getting older. :shrug:

No offense :), but I don't see the point in speculating about this, other than newspapers need something to write about them. We will all know when they have had enough, because they will say so themselves.

We all know that unfortunately it will come to an end sometime, so let's just enjoy them now and live in the moment :)

MrsSpringsteen said:
No offense :), but I don't see the point in speculating about this, other than newspapers need something to write about them. We will all know when they have had enough, because they will say so themselves.

We all know that unfortunately it will come to an end sometime, so let's just enjoy them now and live in the moment :)

:yes:

I don't really think about U2 stopping. Alot of things could happen. They could decide to spend more time with their families, or whatever. I think they will do stuff as long as they love it and feel like they can create great music. This is very high-pressure work and it just amazes me that they can still deal with the pressures. It's burned out many other talented people. If they ever do start to feel burned out that's when they *should* stop. But that's for them to decide. They've given us so much. If they stop after this tour or whatever we'll have the memories, the CD's, the videos, etc, etc. Beatles fans weren't half this lucky; they stopped touring four years into their careers and broke up after eight.

miss-U2 said:
but i have never been in a U2 concert :sad: i want at least 2 different tours, pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase!!!

I wouldn't worry too much right now :hug:

Even the article refers to it as a "rumour"

and "reports from Britain" ? :scratch:

Like MrsSpringsteen said, there's no point in speculating :)

I wonder what would have been going around on the internet if it had been around when Bono made his "We're going to go away and dream it all up again speech" in 1989?

Last edited:
I wont beleive it until I hear it from Principle Management.

No disrespect to this site or any other but anything like that will be on u2.com first from the band and the management.

Emilie looks like that will be your next meeting topic please ask Bono if anyone can get it out of him I'm sure you can failing that tell him I'm coming!!:wink:

Even just being an rumour.. I'm so fuc**** sad :sad:
I cannot imagine my life without news from them...
Somehow, it's not just a band.. or the music... through the songs they have become my best friends, even thou I don't know them in person (Hope one day I will and thank for all the great things they've done for us without knowing they did)...
I can understand they're getting old and need to give some atetion to their family...
But I always had a thought they'd be like The Rolling Stones, playing till they're 60 or something...
I hope they don't stop!!! But like once a friend told me:
"Nothing lasts forever, if we try to make it last forever we take it away its precious essence, to comfort us exists the memories"
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I don't believe they'll quit either. I've just heard Bono and Edge get so aggravated with hearing people say they should stop because they are getting old. Remember the 'buy a fish farm' thing? And the 'we're not f-ing off anywhere?' Bono saying how at their age a writer or director would be at the height of their career so why are singers considered 'old'? I think Bono is so stubborn he will probably hang around even longer than he wants to just to show everyone he's not old and nobody is getting rid of him! :D

I refer back to the VH1 legends special-
"it's not measured in sales or even relevence...are you still blowing your own mind? Are you growing as a singer, as a songwriter and as a person?" Bono went on to say he definitely thinks so for him as well as the band.

I do too :)

(I'm still planning on seeing them soon!! It will my first time. :D)

miss-U2 said:
but i have never been in a U2 concert :sad: i want at least 2 different tours, pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase!!!

Same!!! I'm hoping they will do at least 2 more tours before they stop :(

They can't stop until I've seen them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:no:

celia said:

Same!!! I'm hoping they will do at least 2 more tours before they stop :(

They can't stop until I've seen them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:no:

That makes three of us.......I really want to see them live atleast 2 more times before they make any decisions....... :sad: :sad: :sad: they just cant...........not until I can say that I've seen them live :sad: :sad: :(

We all know that the day will come when U2 will go their separate ways.

They have been our Rock Stars (and the BEST ROCK BAND EVER) for over 25 years! They have given us a wealth of music to continue to inspire and elevate us into the future.
:heart:

U2 has always and will always do things THEIR way and so the choice seems up to us. Will we choose to "Walk On" with them as they pursue their own life paths or will we get "Stuck in A Moment" that we refuse to get out of?:scratch:

For me, I will choose to "Walk On" with them as they create new wonders for us! Much Love and Respect to U2!:applaud: :wave:

U2Kitten said:
I don't believe they'll quit either. I've just heard Bono and Edge get so aggravated with hearing people say they should stop because they are getting old. Remember the 'buy a fish farm' thing? And the 'we're not f-ing off anywhere?' Bono saying how at their age a writer or director would be at the height of their career so why are singers considered 'old'? I think Bono is so stubborn he will probably hang around even longer than he wants to just to show everyone he's not old and nobody is getting rid of him! :D

:up: :applaud:

and the "fish farm" thing :lmao:

I haven't seen them live, either! And you have no idea how many times this subject was brought up at Zootopia. Listen, people: they aren't even in their 50s yet, they're all in good health (as far as we know, knock on wood), and they've just started in a new musical direction with the last album. I don't think we have to worry about them rolling over and giving up until the above things cease to be true or they start to hate being together (which isn't likely since they're practically joined at the hip).

Everything you know is wrong!

Just feel like quoting from Zoo-tv:

"...EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG!..."

I mean, with all the rumors we know by now, we have absolutely no chance of knowing whats really going on - all the rumors might be wrong and we wouldn't know it!
Just take one day at the time, wait for something official and don't take the all sorrows in advance, okay?! :wink:

"...Every little thing is gonna be allright..." :)

Thanks Rachel D. & Merc :hug:

You're welcome Kellyahern! :hug:

...and great avatar there Merc! :drool:

Thanx!!! I would have given my left arm, right foot or whatever to have been at that concert!!! :sigh: BOTH bono AND Adam SHIRT-LESS at the same concert!!! :adam: :drool: :bono: :drool:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bono's Tart

Emilie looks like that will be your next meeting topic please ask Bono if anyone can get it out of him I'm sure you can failing that tell him I'm coming!!

exactly!!!!!!!!!
i hope ur right U2kitten

I look forward to hearing how you get on!!
Go for it girl!!
:up:

U2Kitten said:

I agree! Now, I mean this in the best possible way but let's face it ....
Bono is too much of a ham to say goodbye to the spotlight!:bow::bono::bow:LOL!

I would not worry about it. Larry once said they had gotten to the point after 'Rattle and Hum' where it was not fun anymore but then...they came out with 'Achtung Baby'! I think that each of them are too creative to retire so young. They all seem to enjoy performing,too but who knows? Whatever happens,they all will be performing in some way or another.

Thank goodness they are not like the Van Halen brothers who are so bitter and nasty that they practically have a revolving door for their lead singers....:grumpy:

Hey,even The Who were still playing not too long ago. It's no secret that Townshend and Daltrey do not get along but they still perform together...

Don't worry .Here's to a U2 tour in the near future!!!!:bono: :larry: :adam: :edge: :up:

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there lots of rumors circa 1990 that the band was breaking up?

I would take any and all rumors with a grain of salt. That being said, I'm still going to make double sure I get myself to a concert this time around since I haven't done it yet, just to be on the safe side.

I am kicking my own a** for not trying harder to see Joshua Tree tour and completely ignoring PoP and then Elevation came along during my child bearing years. I am definitely going to the next one. I suppose life would go on, just without U2, but I think Bono and Edge will stay in the spotlight. Much like they did in the 90's while not touring. Kicking a**, banging head on desk...

One of my goals is to see U2 when they tour this next time around. It'd be my first time seeing them live if I do...I really want to go.

And I agree with the others who say to not worry about this and everything along those lines (and U2Kitten, you're so right-let's face it, people, Bono loves attention. He's not gonna fade from the spotlight anytime soon).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom