Entertainment Weekly Fake-Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SavesTheWorld

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
OK, so U2 is listed on the cover of EW for their Fall Music Preview. So, I frantically fly through each page searching.

Searching...
Searching...

:confused:

OH THERE IT IS!
One little line in the back of the preview talking about Gangs of New York and the Best Of. Its in an ETC. section.

Now you know they just put them on the cover to sell magazines. They didn't even have a picture.

Grrrrr.

:rant: :banghead:

*shakes fist at Entertainment Weekly*

If you advertise the guys..........you better produce.......and I mean bloody pictures:mad:

EW isn't such a great publication. We get it at work (I work in a library). They've written *garbage* about U2 before. Shaking a fist at them is an entirely appropriate response to this bloody outrage.:no: :no: :mad: :silent: :censored:

I think we shold be impressed that they think U2's name alone will sell a magazine. They're aren't a lot of bands who can do that.

I disagree...

madonna's child said:
I think we shold be impressed that they think U2's name alone will sell a magazine. They're aren't a lot of bands who can do that.

They worked hard to get that famous and popular, and EW's going to try to slam them down like verte said? I don't care if they mention U2 on the cover, not after trashing U2.

I actually think it's pretty cool that their name can sell magazines, but it irks me that a publication like EW is using it to sell magazines. They did slam them, and to make matters worse it was right after they'd had Britney on the cover. Ugh. Sometimes I really hate looking at the magazines at work. :mad: :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored:

Thank you for pointing that out. I get this magazine, and I also searched the entire thing and couldn't find any mention of U2. Now I know where to look!

U2SavesTheWorld said:

OH THERE IT IS!
One little line in the back of the preview talking about Gangs of New York and the Best Of. Its in an ETC. section.

Now you know they just put them on the cover to sell magazines. They didn't even have a picture.

Grrrrr.

:rant: :banghead:

Re: Re: Entertainment Weekly Fake-Out

dipster said:
Thank you for pointing that out. I get this magazine, and I also searched the entire thing and couldn't find any mention of U2. Now I know where to look!

Yeah good luck. I seriously had to read every word on every page to find it. It was the most irritating thing ever.
I have no problem with U2 being mentioned on the cover, in fact I think its great. But to dedicate 5 pages to Justin Timberlake (including the cover) and then give 9 words to U2....its rather.....odd.

:barf:

Some quick research is very telling...the typical Pop slams...ATYCLB got OK marks...here is the review for the book.

U2 at the End of the World

Reviewed by Margot Mifflin

U2 AT THE END OF THE WORLD Bill Flanagan (Delacorte, $22.95) Few books merit 500-plus pages, least of all one devoted to a mere four years in the recent history of the band U2. Musician magazine editor Bill Flanagan has the smarts, the history (he first interviewed the band in 1980), and the connections (full access to U2) to write a definitive U2 biography, something that has yet to be done well. Instead, he's published a rambling travelogue with so much extraneous detail and armchair philosophizing that the story of ''the biggest band in the world'' reads like a homework assignment.

Flanagan avoids the typical pitfalls of the sensationalist rock biography (bassist Adam Clayton's stormy affair with Naomi Campbell is as juicy as it gets here). He reports colorfully on torturous recording sessions and hectic concert tours, evoking U2's democratic collaborative style and observing ''the bisected hemispheres of the band brain-Edge on the left, Bono on the right.'' But the book is bloated, nonetheless, with tangential blather, from loving profiles of U2's security team to earnest summaries of Cold War politics to tales of Clayton's penchant for farting in elementary school. There's plenty of material here for an excellent book -- even a full- blown biography -- but this one, badly in need of editing, never quite takes shape in the quagmire of Flanagan's discursive mind.

:tsk:

Damn, I think I may be getting EW mixed up with some other mag. We have so many mags at the library it's insane. I'd never heard of some of these things before I started there. You're right, the general interest level of their writers in U2 to begin with isn't very high. No wonder I've never been seriously fascinated with the thing.:lmao: :lmao: :laugh: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom