Edun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scooperina

Babyface
I just finished reading an article about the edun line not marketing well. I wish there was some way to make the edun line more affordable for those of us who would love to support this great line of clothing but can not afford to at the current prices. If they could some how make edun less pricey I think there are alot of folks like me out there who would purchase them to support this cause. What do you all think? I want an edun t-shirt and can not even afford those prices let alone 100 dollars plus for a pair of jeans...but boy do I want a pair. It would be great to get the line into other stores since I would have to drive like 2 hours to find the nearest sachs!!!!

scooperina said:
I just finished reading an article about the edun line not marketing well. I wish there was some way to make the edun line more affordable for those of us who would love to support this great line of clothing but can not afford to at the current prices. If they could some how make edun less pricey I think there are alot of folks like me out there who would purchase them to support this cause. What do you all think? I want an edun t-shirt and can not even afford those prices let alone 100 dollars plus for a pair of jeans...but boy do I want a pair. It would be great to get the line into other stores since I would have to drive like 2 hours to find the nearest sachs!!!!

There are more affordable lines of enviro-friendly, fair trade clothing. I think the point of EDUN was not to just become another one of those, but to do it for higher-end, niche markets. Most of the people that post here aren't part of EDUN's target market. It sucks, but that's how business works.

I do agree that their marketing needs work. It doesn't seem like they've done a whole lot of any kind of marketing besides the launches at various department stores and the PR it gets simply because of Bono and Ali. I'd like to see ads in magazines and that sort of thing. However, it's a very new business and they're probably still feeling things out.

Last edited:
I think this says it all:

....[EDUN] aims to bring the issue of sustainable employment to the world of catwalks and high fashion....

...EDUN is a for-profit initiative with an attempt to create a business model others will want to replicate, which will encourage investment in the work force of the developing world.

I was sad to see that--I wish the selection was broader, more affordable, I would definitely purchase. My shirt from Vertigo tour is EDUN.

i wish they had more dresses...
i have a couple of the shirts but
i am not a jeans and t-shirt kind
of gal...
but i do love the henley shirts...

I have a shirt too. It was more than I would normally pay for a tee, but I like it and thought it was worth it.

Diane L said:
I'd like to see them expand their size range. Many of us big girls would buy a blouse or two if we could fit into them!

I bought my t-shirt in mens :reject: :shifty:.

sort of off-topic: I took my mother to the doctor on Wednesday and they had the "One Life to Live" soap opera on in the waiting room. I saw one of the characters wearing an EDUN shirt (the dark green one that had the sword designs on them).

Last edited:
we don't even have Edun here!
but somebody from here :wink: is gonna hook me up from canada :hyper: I want to buy a hoody and a tshirt.. I know it's pricey, but for a good pair of jeans here you also pay 100+ euros... and this is a good thing :)
I'm not sure wich size to take exactly..

Last edited:
I just found this on atu2.com :)
Celebrity Designs Wear Out Their Welcome

New York Post, May 17, 2006

Suzanne Kapner

Backed by one of the world's sexiest rock stars and with the added inducement of benefiting a worthy cause, the Edun line of clothing should have been a big hit.

Instead, in what is turning out to be a growing downside for celebrity-driven clothing labels, Edun, which is backed by U2 front man Bono and aims to bolster economies in developing countries by eschewing sweatshops, is floundering.

Sales of Edun, now in its third season, are below plan at major retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue, while specialty stores around the country, including Tootsies in Houston and Butter in Brooklyn, said they have dropped the line.

The problems facing Edun have become a common refrain in the world of celebrity designers -- an area that once held all the promise of a blockbuster but has recently produced flop after flop.

Though celebrities are often touted as being intimately involved with their labels, in reality that is rarely the case. Moreover, most celebrities don't wear clothes from their own labels, further hurting the image of their brand.

"The American consumer tends to prefer fashion designers to celebrities when it comes to clothing and accessories," said Marc Beckman, founder of Designers Management Agency, which represents fashion designers. Edun tried to avoid some of those problems by hiring a respected designer, Rogan Gregory, known for his Rogan denim line.

But the company's eco-friendly approach created other obstacles. The use of factories in Africa and Latin America, rather than Europe and Asia, where most clothing is made, resulted in problems with the fit.

And Edun's refusal to use sweatshop labor, while commendable, meant its prices weren't as competitive as those of some rivals.

"We have chosen the more difficult route of production, but one we are 100 percent committed to," said Edun spokeswoman Bridget Russo. "Like all new fashion companies, we have experienced bumps in the road, but with each season we make progress and improvements to both fits and design."

Edun isn't alone in its struggles. Celebrities ranging from Jessica Simpson, who is the subject of a $100 million lawsuit over her troubled apparel line, to Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, who recently discontinued an upscale women's line, have struggled with the sometimes fickle, often cutthroat world of fashion.

"The celebrity designer phenomenon may have peaked," said Michael Fink, Saks' senior fashion director. "People are discovering you need more than a big name to break through."

Even some manufacturers, who had rushed to cash in on the celebrity craze only to get burned, have changed their tune.

Gerard Guez, the chairman and founder of Tarrant Apparel, which is suing Simpson and also ended a licensing agreement to produce clothes for Beyonce over "creative differences," said he's finished with celebrity labels.

"Our focus now will be on real brands," Guez said.

All of this is not to say that the occasional celebrity can't design great clothes. Gwen Stefani's L.A.M.B. line is a notable exception, several retailers said.

But as Bloomingdale's Frank Doroff puts it, "We have departments to sell clothes, not celebrities."

© NY Post, 2006.

I looked at the line at Saks and thought it had a very nice look to it, but like the article said,there was a fit problem. I could tell by looking at it that it ran very small. The selection was limited also. I hope they re-vamp it though and come out with more of a selection. It is a great concept.

Galeongirl said:

Though celebrities are often touted as being intimately involved with their labels, in reality that is rarely the case.

Thanks for posting the article! I think this part is the most telling. Bono does wear the clothes, but relative to the amount of time a normal person would spend working on their own business, it seems like he and Ali are involved in so many things, their time and resources are spread thin.

yea I liked that part myself aswell, having the little bbc clip in mind where the reporter asked ALi if her hubby wears the clothes :giggle:
and the new pics ofcourse :cute:

BonoFox1 said:
^^i just a hoodie just like the one Bono is wearing for $145.00

It better have Bono sweat and smell If Im to pay that much
:wink:

would be nice :giggle:
hm... but I want it anywayz... and my mother is annoying me by telling me I should buy more clothes... and become more 'fashionable" ... >< is it her problem I like to wear jeans and teeshirts???
it's mine tho, I still don't have any U2 tee.. but I will have soon...
I'm looking for a hoody for a while noiw... but all they have here are those tight things.. I don't want taht! I love the model B's wearing in the pics... I want one of those!

You should alll come to Finland and you'd soon see that thoughs prices that you quoted are about the average price I would have to pay for a decent t-shirt or hoodie!
Average price of a none brand t-shirt here is between 15€ - 20€! I personally like to buy adidas t-shirts and they cost between 30€ - 40€, adidas hoodies 50€ - 70€. I don't even get me started on the price of big name brand jeans!! :huh:

hmmm...I had a feeling that Edun was in trouble. Last year I read Rogan Gregory answering a question with "I'm just the designer" and at the time I thought "it sounds like he's ready with an excuse if the clothing line fails". Then later I read Bono saying that the fashion industry was "very hard industry".

I agree with the rest of you about Edun needing to expand its sizes and doing better marketing. But I am also disappointed in some of the designs and styles of the clothing. I thought the clothing line would reflect the diversity of the people who are not only designing but making with the clothes; American, Irish, Indian, African, South American. Instead it looks like it just Rogan Gregory's (and Ali's?) ideas. I would advocate that the main change they should make is to have a group of diverse designers (men, women, plus size, textile artist, graphic artist, etc.) working on this line instead of having one designer. I think having a diverse group will bring about the changes sizes, marketing, styles, etc. and in turn grow the line.

Here in Dublin an Edun hoodie costs 155 Euro! A T-shirt is about 50 Euro... (so it is even more expensive compared to the US prices)

I walked into Saks on a whim and took a men's size large green t shirt and went on line and the checkout gal told me, "That will be 6.99 please". I gave her the money and ran out the door. I should have bought 20 more!!

IwantBono said:
I walked into Saks on a whim and took a men's size large green t shirt and went on line and the checkout gal told me, "That will be 6.99 please". I gave her the money and ran out the door. I should have bought 20 more!!

Which Saks :giggle:

I'd buy alot of Edun if the jeans weren't $200! but I do love my EDUN concert shirt I paid $35 for :happy:

Back
Top Bottom