Edge's House In Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
fortlands.jpg

It says 'new house'-I didn't think it was new. Anyway-it's beautiful...

Irish Times: Photo and description of The Edge's new house
http://www.ireland.com
May 14, 2002
From The Irish Times archive:

...Far more typical of a grand Killiney residence is Fortlands, on Killiney Hill Road, a Victorian
house tucked away on the southern slopes of Killiney Hill. The impressive two-storey house
stands on 1.5 acres of grounds that include a grass tennis court, an orchard, stables and a
coach-house that could easily be converted to a separate dwelling. Fortlands is hidden from
view at the end of a long driveway, and surrounded by immaculately tended gardens that
enjoy that all-important view of Killiney Bay. Inside, this is a fine period house with five
bedrooms and gracious reception rooms. The double drawingroom to the left of the hall is a
particularly good space for entertaining, and it has a handsome Bossi fireplace. On the other
side of the hallway is a large formal diningroom and beyond that is a 27 ft long conservatory.

At the back of the house is the kitchen opening into a breakfastroom, where there is a staircase
leading up to a family room.

An impressive staircase with Gothic-style carving leads up to a half landing, where panelled
walls conceal a lavatory and a row of built-in cupboards.

Upstairs, all the bedrooms are spacious doubles with big sash windows taking in views of the
garden or the sea. The main bedroom has a large en suite bathroom. The garden backs on to
Villa Maria Avenue, where there is a laneway leading down to Killiney DART station

i love the description! it sounds beautiful...so what happened to his salmon colored home?!?

------------------
Is it getting hot in here or is it just ADAM??
*+*MaRiA*+*

There was another story about this...the other one said he bought this when his plans to add on to his other house were denied. He need more space and bought this for more than 10 million Euro...the most expensive house in Ireland to date! It's assumed that he will move into this house (just minutes away from Bono's) after his June wedding
biggrin.gif

MONA!!!! he has a RED door!!!! *envy*

lol

------------------
~Julie*
ScottPhisto's Shampoo Girl

"I'm not sure if Irish people can dance... except for The Edge, that is, who is our own funky chicken."
-Bono

Rock Me, I'm Irish! ~TIME Magazine, an article on Bono

"EEEEEDGE, BEDAZZLE MEEEEEE!"

The Macphisto Society

It's beautiful...I wondered what he would do since they axed his request to add on to his house....looks like Edge went shopping for a new one...

Didn't Edgie have a castle ontop of some hill b4 this??? Wonder what happened to that place. Did the future wifey not like being there?? hehehe show off...when he isn't allowed to do something he just up and buys something else. Hey Edge! If you're not gonna be using your old place...May I have it??? PLEASE!!!! I've always wanted a castle of my very own!!! *Gives Edge her #1 sweetest, most kindest, gentlest, all time innocent angelic smile that has always gotten her what she wants*

it's Ireland or Dracula's place in Romania!! Yea I'm talking about THE Dracula.... Do you REALLY want me living in some haunted castle w/a horrible history??? I think Not! 0
smile.gif

------------------
Fear Not..For I'll Be Watching You. And I know what you're all thinking. FOR SHAME!!

What a beautiful house. Do you think he needs a cleaner?
biggrin.gif

Very nice, and yet quite humble compared with what he *could* have. It kind of says "We're very comfortable" instead of "We're filthy, stinkin' rich." I like that about the Irish.

May 14, 2002
From The Daily Mirror:

U2 COULD OWN A HOUSE JUST LIKE THE EDGE'S.. IF YOU HAVE
OVER POUNDS 10M GOING SPARE, THAT IS
Jenny Friel

U2 star The Edge has bought what is believed to be the most expensive house in Ireland, the Daily Mirror can reveal. The guitarist is said to have paid more than EUR10million for the Fortlands - a mansion in upmarket Killiney - Dublin's poshest suburb.

The superstar already owns a house in nearby Dalkey Village but was turned down for planning permission last year for a huge extension. A source said: "When The Edge's application was rejected by An Bord Pleanala he appealed the decision - he really wanted a bigger house in that area.

"And when he realised there was no way he was going to be able to add to his house on the Vico Road he started looking around for somewhere else.

"He's been living in town with his girlfriend Morleigh Steinberg and their children since U2 finished their last world tour but they really want to move back to Killiney."

The Edge's new home, is on the exclusive Killiney Hill Road in Dalkey and is set in three acres of gardens.

It was sold to The Edge, real name David Evans, by New York based multi -millionaire Sean Melly.

Up until last week's sale, the most expensive residential house in the country was on Dublin's Shrewsbury Road. Former hotelier David Doyle paid EUR10million for a house there last March. And before that it was believed to have been former Esat boss, Denis O'Brien's detached home on Raglan Road in Dublin.

The communications mogul is thought to have paid close to EUR9million for the house two years ago.

The source said: "Very few people know the exact figure but it's reckoned The Edge paid well over the 10 million mark for it.

"That's the way property has rocketed out there, a few years ago a house on Sorrento Terrace in Dalkey went for over six million punts. "That place was a terrace house with no parking and no central heating so it's safe to say The Edge's new house cost an absolute fortune.

"The gardens are huge, there's loads of room for the kids and the views overlooking Killiney Bay have to be seen to be believed."

The Edge, 40, and his family will live just minutes from U2 frontman Bono and his family, who have a massive home also in Dalkey.

Other celebrity neighbours include singer Enya and racing driver Eddie Irvine. Down the road is the director Neil Jordan, while pop star Lisa Stansfield and her husband also have a plush home in the area.

It's expected The Edge will move into his new home during the summer after his June wedding to long-term girlfriend Morleigh.
The couple met eight years ago when she worked as a dancer on U2's Zooropa tour. They now have two children together.

The Edge bought his other home in the area several years ago and wanted to add a 560 square metre two-storey extension. It included six bedrooms, a bar, lift, dark room, exercise room and a garage.

Initially, he was granted planning permission by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown council but it was appealed by An Taisce to An Bord Pleanala on the basis that the plans were not in keeping with area and he was
turned down.

The Edge is not the only U2 star to have had planning problems. In January Bono's proposal for an extension to his luxury pad came up against opposition from An Taisce.

Bono was originally given the green light by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council in late November. But the environmental and heritage agency lodged an appeal with An Bord Pleanala.

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 05-14-2002).]

Thanks for that article Charlene
smile.gif

That's one expensive house-10 mil Euros=how many dollars?

eek.gif

I agree that it is pretty modest looking-but not modestly priced for sure. He can borrow sugar from Bono
biggrin.gif

This is his house in Malibu

edge_malibuhome.jpg

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 05-15-2002).]

*brings out some blueprints* alright ladies... here's the plane...we'll have to divine up into teams...some will be staking the place out to find all the enterences and exits we can use for quick sneeking in and getting our arses out in case the man of the house finds us. Others will be checking out the neighborhood to have anyone living near Edge's place think we know him...can't cause any suspicion. Edge girls can be the ones to head into his place when it's safe while we find out Bono,Larry and Adam's addresses for the others. Any questions??

------------------
Fear Not..For I'll Be Watching You. And I know what you're all thinking. FOR SHAME!!
Pleba+Card.jpg

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Thanks for that article Charlene
smile.gif

That's one expensive house-10 mil Euros=how many dollars?

eek.gif

$10,000,000 Euro would be a litttle bit over $9,000,000 US

Yowie!

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
Edge's house is a very fine house
biggrin.gif

*sings* Edge's house is a very very fine house...

What's funny is that the house looks a lot like houses in my neighborhood. (No I don't have a ginormous house, I have the small house in the middle of all the HUGE ones...but I DO have a nice yard
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

Wow, it's gorgeous. So, there's a laneway leading down to the Killiney DART station, is there? Which means there's also a laneway leading up from the Killiney DART station... *wishes she had explored laneway when in Killiney*
wink.gif

------------------
I used to think
As birds take wing
They sing through life so why can't we?

?Poetry doesn?t belong to those who write it; it belongs to those who need it.?

Wow, Edge's house is a very fine house
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

wow, he must be almost neighbors with Bono now. Bono lives just a wee bit up the road from the DART station.

stylin', Edge.

I love how all the houses in Killiney are stucco. It's so cool looking.

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>

It looks different, and much larger, in that first pic Daisy posted.

Ding dong-Avon calling
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

And my pic of his house in Malibu had disappeared-another EVIL web site is on to us
icon28.gif

------------------
~Your insults and your curses make me feel like I'm not a person~
~The more people I meet the more I like my dog~

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
It looks different, and much larger, in that first pic Daisy posted.

That's what I thought too... I think it must be from a different angle... or it's a wrong pic

------------------
Daisy

~*~We are one, but we're not the same
We've got to carry each other~*~

The Mouth Moves in Mysterious Ways

AIM:daisyone75

Ok-I confess...

The house in the first pic I posted is just the guesthouse for ME
biggrin.gif

And hi Maddie-I look forward to your e-mail-it might take me til' tonight to answer, but I will
smile.gif

------------------
~Your insults and your curses make me feel like I'm not a person~
~The more people I meet the more I like my dog~

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 05-15-2002).]

WOW!!

Edge, when can I move in?

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Back
Top Bottom