Edge of Time - Chapter 7 (Supersized edition!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
Wow, my biggest chapter yet. I had loads of fun writing this chapter. It's just so fun to see everything through the eyes of obsessed U2 fans (and considering I am one, it's pretty easy :wink:)

Chapter Seven

The room was as lovely as they expected it to be. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was nice enough for the two of them. The beds were covered in peach and blue patterned bedspreads, two matching blue chairs set on either side of a small round table near the window, and a long low dresser, with a nicely sized television set atop it, lined one wall.
As soon as the door was shut behind them, Katie pounced onto the nearest bed, tugged a pillow out from under the bedspread, and pressing it to her face, made a sound somewhere between a scream and a squeal. After a moment of this, she dropped the pillow and turned back to Emma who was still standing near the door.
"Give me my pass, and my ticket, I want to hold them."
Emma dug both items out and handed them over. "Don't you dare lose either one."
"I won't, I won't. I promise." Katie said, reaching for the coveted items. Once she had them in her grasp, Katie slipped the pass on its lanyard over her head, and then, clutching the concert ticket in one hand, she stepped in front of the mirror.
"Dork." Emma said softly, stepping past her.
"I can't help it." Katie said, grinning at herself in the mirror. "It still seems so unreal." Katie sighed softly and forced herself to turn away from the mirror. Emma was sitting on one of the beds, counting the money The Edge had left him. Katie slipped the pass off of her neck, and laid it, and her ticket, on the bed with the money.
Emma finished counting quickly and looked up at Katie. "There's over £200 here."
Katie let out a short whistle of awe. "What are we going to spend all of that on?"
"Well, we'll need to eat, and get some more clothes and things." Emma restacked the notes and slipped them back into the envelope.
"We'll never spend all of it though."
"We'll give him back whatever's left."
"Give it back? Why?"
Emma looked up at Katie, her eyes wide with shock over the notion of keeping it. "We can't keep his money, Katie."
Katie looked away, slightly shamed. "Well it's not like he's exactly hurting for it."
"Well, we'll just buy what we need, and see how much is left." Emma tucked the money, along with the tickets and passes back into the envelope and lay back on the bed, her arms behind her head. After a minute or so of staring off into space, she spoke. "You're right. It doesn't seem real. And yet, it has to be, because we're here, and if it's a dream, it's the realest dream I've ever had."
Katie shook her head. "It's not a dream. This is real. We time travelled."
"The Edge helped us time travel... to see a U2 show." Emma paused a moment in reflection. "I couldn't write shit this strange."
"I dunno, Em. Some of the shit you write is pretty strange." Katie stole a sidelong glance at Emma, who was looking at her with an incredulous look. "And some of it's just shitty."
Emma sat up, and tried to give Katie a dirty look, but couldn't help but but laugh when she saw the look of devious glee on Katie's face. "Shut it, you!" She said, throwing a pillow at Katie.
Katie batted the pillow away with one hand, sending it off into the middle of the floor. Katie hopped up and smoothed her shirt down. "Come on, as tempting as hanging around here all day having pillow fights with you sounds, our time here in '92 is limited. Let's make the most of it."
And so they shopped. The hotel The Edge had chosen for them was in a perfect neighbourhood. The girls were able to find everything they might need easily within walking distance. They spend the rest of their afternoon going from one shop to the next, picking up clothing, pajamas, toiletries, and even a cheap camera and a couple of rolls of film.
Neither girl had eaten anything since breakfast, and that was breakfast fourteen years in the future to boot. Their stomachs were rumbling, and they were just beginning to seek out a nice restaurant, when they ran across a record store, and couldn't help but to step in and take a gander. Of course, once inside the doors, both girls found themselves immediately gravitating toward the U2 albums.
"Jeez. I never seen so many cassette tapes in my life." Katie looked around the store, her eyes wide.
"Yes you have. Just not in the last decade or so. CDs hadn't quite taken over yet in '92."
Emma and Katie found the U2 cassettes quickly enough and began thumbing through them, for no other reason than that they were U2 fans, and they somehow felt that this was their duty.
"It's weird not seeing All That You Can't Leave Behind or How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb right out in front." Emma remarked.
"It's weird that they're not CDs." Katie said quietly.
"Oh get over it Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore."
Before long, the girls had wandered away from the cassettes, and over to a rack of band shirts. Luck must have been smiling on them that day, because they managed to find several U2 shirts. Katie picked a War tour shirt, bearing the famous white flag, while Emma picked an Unforgettable Fire shirt, featuring Moydrum Castle. While Emma and Katie were preoccupied with the T-shirts, two more customers had wondered into the store. When the girls turned back around with their new shirts, they spotted a teenage girl standing at the U2 cassettes, and thumbing through them in a very familiar manner.
Emma looked over at Katie. "Should we go talk to her?"
Katie shrugged. "Why not?"
Katie and Emma walked over the girl. As they reached the U2 cassettes, she stepped aside to give them room. Emma was suddenly very nervous about speaking to this girl, this girl who would never know that she'd met a pair of young women from the future. Emma grabbed a copy of Achtung Baby and began studying the tracklisting, trying to think of something to say. Luckily, the young girl saved her the trouble.
"Do you have that one yet?"
Emma smiled and put the cassette back on the shelf. "Yea, I've had it for ages."
"Since it came out, she means." Katie spoke up. Emma in fact, had not had Achtung Baby since it came out. But Katie knew that for this girl, the album had only been out a matter of months.
Emma blinked. "Yea, since it came out."
"Oh, me too. What do you think about it?"
"It's my favourite."
"I don't know yet if it's my favourite, but I do like it. My brother on the other hand." The girl jerked her head to her left and rolled her eyes. Katie and Emma both looked over and saw a boy, a little bit older than the girl, pawing through a bin of used records. "He hates it."
Emma shook her head. "I don't see how anyone could hate Achtung Baby."
"Me either. Are you going to the show tomorrow night?"
Katie nodded. "Yea, we came all the way from London."
"Though it feels like we came a lot farther." Emma said, reminding herself that they had travelled through time for this show.
"We live right here in the city. I'm Annie, by the way, my brother's called Mark. I'm mad excited about the concert, I've never seen them before, I mean, I'm only 16, so this is my first real chance. Have you seen them before?" Annie talked with a speed that only teenage girls seemed to possess.
"Yea, but, we're really excited this time too. It's different this time." Emma said.
"I'll say. Wow, you'd hardly recognize them, would you? Mark hates the whole new look and sound. He wants to know what the hell happened to the band he loved. But he's excited about the concert too, because he'd die to hear Where the Streets Have No Name live. He's why I got into the band anyway, because he wouldn't stop playing The Joshua Tree. Hold on, I'll introduce you to the great sourpuss." Annie took a few steps toward her brother, and then shouted. "Hey Mark! Get over here, I want you to meet someone."
Mark joined them, and proper introductions were made. He was 18 and would be going away to school in Manchester in a few months. The four of them had been talking for upwards of a quarter hour, when Katie's stomach gave another audible growl of hunger.
She brought her hand subconsciously down over her abdomen and blushed. "I'm sorry. I'd love to stay and chat with you longer, but we missed lunch. Do you know of any good restaurants around here?"
"Oh!" A huge grin crossed Annie's face. "We just popped in here on our way to dinner. Would you like to join us?"
Mark grimaced. "Annie."
Annie turned to her brother and made a face. "Mark, it wouldn't kill you to be sociable for a change! They won't bite." Annie turned back to Emma and Katie. "Will you?"
Emma smiled. "Of course not."
"Cross my heart." Katie said, holding back laughter, and she did indeed cross her heart as she spoke.
Annie turned back to Mark, hands on her hips. "Now see, you're going to have to get used to girls sooner or later. There will be girls in Manchester, you know!"
Mark rolled his eyes. "Oh fine! Let's go then."
Emma and Katie paid for their shirts, and then followed Mark and Annie a block or so farther up the road. The restaurant was a quiet little Italian place, and Annie and Mark seemed to know the owner. The four of them tucked themselves into a booth in the back, ordered, and continued to converse.
"So Mark, why do you hate Achtung Baby so much?" Emma leaned her chin on her hand, ready to hear his answer, so that she could shoot it down.
"Well you had Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Live Aid, and The Joshua Tree, and it was all fantastic. But then you turn around, and it's all leather suits and shades. What happened there? U2 had a message, and now it's just a joke. They went from white flags to television sets. I don't understand it."
"Mark, it's meant to be a joke. They're still the same blokes on the inside. It's all a lark. It's a rock and roll show, and that's exactly what they're doing, they're putting on a show."
Mark sat silent a moment and thought about that, before continuing. "It's not just that though. It's the music too. It's changed. It's not the same, and I don't like it."
"Do you like the song One?" Katie asked.
"I do, actually."
"Figures." Katie muttered under her breath, just loud enough for Emma to hear.
Their food arrived soon and, while everyone was preoccupied with settling into their spaghetti, Katie leaned in and whispered in Emma's ear. "This guy is going to hate Pop."
Emma pressed her hand against her mouth to stifle a giggle, then whispered back to Katie. "But I bet he'll like Staring at the Sun."
Emma and Katie found the meal quite enjoyable, though given how hungry they'd been, they might have found just about anything enjoyable. They also managed to avoid arguing any more with Mark throughout the rest of the meal.
In the end, goodbyes were said, hugs were exchanged, and false promises to keep in touch were made as the two pairs parted company. As Katie and Emma walked back to their hotel, Emma looked over her shoulder once. "I feel bad lying to the poor girl."
"We had to give her false addresses though. Can you imagine if, in 1992, either of us recieved a letter from some girl we weren't going to meet for fourteen more years?"
"I know, I know. Still, she was having the time of her life tonight." Emma trailed off for a moment. "Something tells me that her friends aren't into U2."
"I give it six months. She'll turn them. It's the perfect time for it. They're hot right now."
Emma gave an exagerrated sigh. "When are they not hot?"
Katie slapped Emma lightly on the arm. "You know that's not what I meant!"
"Well that would be a first!" Emma put a false, lovestruck tone to her voice. "'Oh, Bono's chin! Bono's freckles! Bono's moobs! Bono's arse!'"
"I do not sound like that!"
"Suuuuuure you don't."
"And you're one to talk, Miss 'Oh Edge, can I stroke your pointy elbow?'"
Emma collapsed into giggles, unable to come up with a comeback for that one. Katie joined her, and by now they were reentering the lobby of their hotel. The girls tried to get control of themselves, and managed to mostly stifle their giggles until they got back up to their hotel room. Once there, they tossed their shopping bags onto the bed, and Katie immediately switched on the TV and began flipping through the channels.
Emma watched for a moment, then began digging through their shopping bags until she'd found the camera and film. While Emma loaded the film into the camera, Katie settled on music videos, pulled one of the blue chairs closer to the TV, and sat down to watch.
"Katie, you watch too much TV."
"Emma, it's the early 90s, everyone watches too much TV. Hence, the tour."
"I know, I know. But that doesn't mean I have to." Emma got up and began pawing through the shopping bags again. "I'm going to go try on my new shirt."
Emma found the U2 shirt, then took it into the bathroom and tried it on. After modelling in front of the mirror for a moment, she got an idea. Emma returned to the room, grabbed the camera, then pulled her all access pass and concert ticket back out of the envelope. She slipped the pass around her neck, held up the ticket proudly, and attempted to take a photo of herself in the mirror.
The flash went off, reflecting in the mirror, nearly blinding her, and ruining the shot.
"Fuck!" Emma shouted, dropping the camera and ticket onto the counter, and covering her eyes with both hands.
"What's wrong?" Came Katie's voice from her spot in front of the TV.
"The bloody flash went off! I've gone blind!" Emma had picked the camera back up, and was squinting at it, when Katie appeared in the bathroom doorway.
"You tried to take your picture in the mirror? Planning on posting it on your MySpace?" Asked Katie, an amused grin on her face.
"Oh shut up."
"Here, give me the camera, I'll do it. And preferably not in the loo."
Emma handed the camera over, and they returned to the outer room, just in time for the video for Vogue by Madonna. Emma made a face. "Ugh, why did music suck so much in the early 90s?"
"U2 didn't suck in the early 90s." Katie pointed out.
"No, they didn't." Emma agreed.
"Now come on, strike a pose." Katie said, quoting the currently playing Madonna song.
Emma rolled her eyes, but struck a pose anyway. Katie hit the shutter release button, and nothing happened. She pulled the camera away from her face and stared at it a moment, before realizing what was wrong. "Emma, you dip! You didn't wind the film."
"Well I'm not used to it! I've grown accustomed to digital cameras."
Katie wound the film. "Okay, let's try this again." This time everything worked out, and Katie got two photos of Emma.
Emma took the camera back from Katie. "Want me to take a couple of you?"
"Nah, I'll wait until tomorrow. We can do a whole photoshoot." Katie said, settling herself back into her blue chair.
"Alright." Emma set the camera on the night table, and pulled a new pair of pajamas out of one of the shopping bags. "I'm going to have a shower."
Emma spent most of her time in the shower daydreaming about the concert, which would occur in less than a day's time. Afterward, she'd succeeded in towel drying her hair, and had just gotten into her new pajamas when she heard a familiar guitar riff ringing out from the TV's speakers. Emma raised her eyebrows and bolted from the bathroom.
The video for Even Better Than The Real Thing had just started. Emma collapsed on the corner of one bed and leaned in to watch. Katie was already on the edge of her seat. The two of them watched in awe and silence. They'd both seen this video dozens of times, but somehow it was different seeing it now, when it was still quite new. When it was over they both sat in silence for a moment, before Emma finally spoke.
"I cannot wait until tomorrow night."
Katie looked over at her. "And yet you hardly ever watch TV. The Lord God Bono commanded thee to Watch More TV, and you have forsaken him."
Emma simply shrugged. "I'm an Edge girl."
The rest of the night passed without much incident. No more U2 videos were shown, and after flipping through the channels some more, and reminiscing over adverts long since forgotten, Katie eventually grew tired of the television programs that 1992 had to offer, and turned off the set. It was growing late, and they had a big day ahead of them, so of course, neither girl found sleep to come easy. But eventually they both did drift off, and of course, their dreams were filled with U2.

Will they really give whatever's left of Edge's money back? Will Mark really hate Pop? Will he like Staring at the Sun? Will Emma ever Watch More TV?!

Thou shalt watch more tv :giggle:

"I give it six months. She'll turn them. It's the perfect time for it. They're hot right now."
Emma gave an exagerrated sigh. "When are they not hot?"
Katie slapped Emma lightly on the arm. "You know that's not what I meant!"
"Well that would be a first!" Emma put a false, lovestruck tone to her voice. "'Oh, Bono's chin! Bono's freckles! Bono's moobs! Bono's arse!'"
"I do not sound like that!"
"Suuuuuure you don't."
"And you're one to talk, Miss 'Oh Edge, can I stroke your pointy elbow?'"

:hmm: somehow, this conversation sounds familiar in my ears....

:shifty:

I loved the chapter DOL! I can so imagine myself doing the same if it'd happen... it's realistic, but not realistic at the same time :lol: and yes, I speak in GGlogics.... ain't no logic there!

:corn: I'll be sittin' here waitin' for the next...

*two weeks later*

:corn:

Last edited:
DreamOutLoud13 said:
Emma put a false, lovestruck tone to her voice. "'Oh, Bono's chin! Bono's freckles! Bono's moobs! Bono's arse!'"

'The Lord God Bono commanded thee to Watch More TV, and you have forsaken him."

:lmao: :lmao:

Wonderful chapter, please write more soon! :D

Very good fic!!! Very cool blast form the past. I was a pre -teen when EBTTRT video came out...it made me a woman:drool:

Keep up the good work DOL:up:

Carmelu2fan said:
I was a pre -teen when EBTTRT video came out...it made me a woman:drool:
I was seven. It's a bit strange writing about a year, that you do remember, but at the time, you were much more concerned with babydolls than rock stars.

As for the video itself, I was going to write more into it about Katie staring at Bono's leatherclad thighs. But we've all seen the video, we can assume that without it being written! :lol: Plus when I was finishing up that chapter, it was late, and I was tired, and I just wanted to finish it so I could post it and go to bed.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I was seven. It's a bit strange writing about a year, that you do remember, but at the time, you were much more concerned with babydolls than rock stars.

As for the video itself, I was going to write more into it about Katie staring at Bono's leatherclad thighs. But we've all seen the video, we can assume that without it being written! :lol: Plus when I was finishing up that chapter, it was late, and I was tired, and I just wanted to finish it so I could post it and go to bed.

:wink: I think that most of us would have that same reaction.... who wouldn't.... tight.. leather.... shiny... :drool:

sooo how's the writing going? new chapter?? :hyper:

:wink: j/k... or.. not?

Back
Top Bottom