Edge of Time - Chapter 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
Yes, I've been a very naughty fanfic writer. Over three weeks between chapters! What can I say? Life got in the way. No fears though, the next chapter is ready, though I can't say it's as exciting as some of the previous chapters. But perhaps the best is yet to come? We'll see :p Hopefully it won't take me three weeks to write the next one!

Chapter Five

Once inside the small shop, Emma and Katie quickly parted ways, as their taste in clothing, at least by 1992 standards, differed greatly.
Katie quickly found a rack of suitable jeans and picked a pair in her size. Next she chose a rather plain t-shirt, and a plaid flannel shirt to go over it. In 1992 she'd been a little to young to grasp onto the grunge culture, but later in life she respected it greatly. Respected it enough to know that spending as much money as she was about to on grunge clothing was ridiculous, but right now she didn't have enough time to shop around.
With the outfit slung over her arm, she moved across the shop, where she found Emma standing beside a rack of blouses, her hands on the clothes, but her eyes staring off into space. Katie slid up beside her.
"Earth to Emma, Earth to Emma."
Emma turned her head slowly, blinking. "What?"
"How long have you been standing there like that?"
"Like what?"
"Like your mind is on another planet. What are you thinking about?"
"Edge." Emma said his name quickly, the colour rising in her cheeks.
Katie raised her eyebrows. "Edge?"
Emma's face got even redder, and she tried to hide it by suddenly becoming heavily interested in a denim jacket hanging on the wall nearby.
"Oh no, Emma. I know you fancy him, but no. Don't even think it."
Emma turned back to Katie. "I know, I know. But we're so close in age now, and he's single, and I can't help myself."
"Emma, we're from the future."
"So is he."
"But it's not the same for him. Strictly speaking, he's not born yet, not even in 2006. We're here now, but we're also outside somewhere as 9 year olds."
Katie paused, noticing a middle aged woman standing quite close by, staring at her with raised eyebrows. Katie took Emma's arm and led her away, out of earshot of the nosy woman, before continuing.
"Besides, we know about his future, and you're not in it. He's going to marry Morleigh."
Emma let out a frustrated sigh. "I Know." She reached up and rubbed her face roughly. "Ugh, this is all just so strange."
"It's what you wanted though, right? I mean, that's why we're here."
Emma opened her mouth to answer, but Katie cut her off before she could.
"Just think Emma, we're going to see U2. U2 on the ZooTV tour. Live. It's an experience we never thought we'd have, something we could only dream about, and watch shite quality videos of. We're going to actually be there."
Suddenly, as she spoke, it was all really becoming real to Katie. Her excitement grew, and her voice rose in pitch, until just about everyone in the shop could hear her. She was thankful her words hadn't been too incriminating. She hadn't mentioned the future at all.
Emma too, had grown more and more excited as Katie spoke. As Katie finished, her eyes grew wide, and her mouth dropped open. She reached up and covered it with one hand. From behind it, Katie could just make out Emma's muffled words: "Oh my god..."
Katie leaned in close. "So just think of that, then. Think of tomorrow night. Don't think about the man sitting in the car next to you, and what possibilities there might be, because we both know that there are none."
Emma nodded slowly, and Katie could see that her mind was already accepting that fact.
"Good, now hurry up and pick out some freaking clothes. We've got places to be."
"Okay, okay." Emma said, hurrying back over to the rack.
In the end, their clothing choices were as different as night and day. Katie, of course, had gone with a complete grunge look. Emma, on the other hand, had gone with a much more feminine look, opting for a swishy, floral print dress, and tights.
They paid for the clothes, then ducked into seperate dressing rooms to change into them. Katie finished changing first, and was waiting outside of the changing rooms when Emma stepped out. Her jaw dropped open when she saw Emma.
"You look like Tori Spelling."
"You look like Kurt Cobain."
Katie's eyes grew wide. "Oh my god. He's still alive."
Emma nodded. "But I doubt we're going to get a chance to meet him while we're here. Come on."
They exited the shop quickly, fearing they'd already kept Edge waiting for far too long. As they stepped back out into the sunlight, Emma was once again struck by her fear that the car would be gone, that The Edge would be gone. Or perhaps worse, that she'd wake up and see that this had all been a dream.
But her fears were unfounded. The black car was still there, and as they approached it, the back door opened from the inside, and The Edge stepped out to let them back in. As Emma settled herself into the center of the backseat, she tucked her skirt demurely around her legs, and scooted closer to Katie, putting more space between herself and The Edge. It wasn't easy being this close to someone you admired so much, and not try to get closer, but these weren't exactly normal circumstances. After all, she was really only nine, and in a year's time, the man beside her would be becoming quite close with a certain belly dancer.

What will happen on the remainder of their journey? Will Emma be able to resist Edge's elbow? Will the girls really get to see the concert?

:drool: I remember the days of the flower dresses and Blossom hats.

This is a great story...it is like Back to the Future with a U2 twist:up:

Great job!

damn I wish I could get a chance like them!!!

I like this fic already :cute: but how... about.... the other? :shifty: I mean, that scene you told me about.... :drool: ... I can live with two fics at the same time!!

Back
Top Bottom