Edge of Time - Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
I just want to apologize in advance for the cheap explanation of WTF was going on. I did my best, but then it started making my head hurt, and I kind of copped out.

Chapter Three

The Edge began ascending the stairs again, and Emma was relieved to find that she didn't have the urge to bolt. She knew he wouldn't do them any harm, despite the utter strangeness of the situation.
"Please, I didn't mean to startle you." His voice was soft, concerned, and completely familiar. "It wasn't supposed to be like this. I was supposed to be waiting for you when you came out of the closet, but I got held up and wasn't able to get here on time."
Edge stopped, he'd now reached the top of the stairs. The two girls were still speechlessly staring at him in fear and awe. He stepped over and motioned toward the stairs leading up to the fourth floor. "Maybe you should both sit down. Try to relax, I'll explain everything."
Emma stepped forward first, then dragged Katie with her. When they were both settled at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at The Edge, Emma cracked a smile.
"I can't believe it's you." She no longer sounded a bit afraid, in fact, she sounded completely thrilled and awestruck.
Katie on the other hand, was not. "Em, don't you get what's happening? The paint, the billboard, his clothes. His face, Emma, look at his face."
Emma did, and Edge could see the realization dawning noticably in her eyes. If he didn't do something quick, both girls would end up in a total panic. He decided to cut to the chase.
"I'm from the future."
He'd no sooner gotten those four words out, than Katie spoke to him for the first time. "I thought that was a joke." Her words held a slight air of contempt.
"Bono's story is a lot closer to the truth than most would think. I was born in 2083. When I was 15, I travelled to 1976, and I think you all know what happened from there. I didn't come in a spaceship, nor am I from another planet. In fact, it was a complete accident that I went back in time at all. I simply stumbled through a door, and ended up in 1976.
"This building has been closed since 1968. There were rumours that something supernatural had happened here shortly before it was closed, and the rumours were right. Though I own this building now, I still don't know what exactly happened. But from what I can tell, somehow, every closet in this place became a portal to a different year. You've just come through the 1992 door."
"We're really in 1992?" Emma looked nervously around as she spoke, as though expecting the dim stairwell to suddenly look different now that the year had been confirmed. After a brief look, when she was satisfied that it hadn't suddenly changed within the last minute, she spoke again. "But why? Why me?"
"On the 23rd of May, 2006, you posted on an internet message board that you wished you could go back in time and see a ZooTV show. I took it upon myself to make that wish come true."
Emma's brown furrowed as she tried to remember if she'd said that or not. "I did? Wait, I think I did..."
Katie cut her off, and addressed The Edge again with her doubts. "But you're from 1992, how can you possibly know that?"
"I keep in frequent correspondence with my past and future selves. These doors transport letters too, not just people. In 2006, I saw the message, then passed it along to my current self."
"Stop." Katie's elbows were propped on her knees, her head in her hands. "It's making my head hurt."
"I'm sorry. I know it's a lot to take in all at once."
"We're in 1992, we're really in 1992..." Emma was mostly talking to herself. Now she stood, and turned toward the stairs leading down. "I want to go outside."
"Wait." Edge reached across and placed a hand on her arm. Emma turned back toward him, her eyes wide. "You can't go out looking like that."
A look of confusion crossed Emma's eyes. She looked down at her own clothes and then back up at him. "Why, what's wrong with me?"
Now Katie stood too. "He's right, Em. We look like we're from the future, because we are."
"Here," Edge quickly descended the stairs, down to the lower landing where they'd first seen him. There he picked up a plastic shopping bag that neither of them had seen before and brought it back up to them. "I brought you some clothes. I didn't know your sizes, but I hope they'll fit." The girls took the bag and immediately peeked into it. "If you want to go back into one of those rooms and change, I'll wait for you downstairs. Just don't go into any of the closets, you don't know where you'll end up."
Emma and Katie took the bag, then went back into the main third floor hallway to find a room to change clothes in. The one they chose had the large windows mostly covered up by large wooden boards, allowing for a fair deal of privacy.
Emma shut the door behind them, while Katie dumped the plastic bag out on the least dusty of the few desks in this room. As she sorted through them, she let out a noise of disgust. "Ugh, look at these clothes!"
Emma picked up a pair of stonewashed jeans and held it up against her hips. "I'd almost forgotten how bad fashion used to be." She paused, kicking off her shoes and preparing to change into the jeans. "It could be worse though, we could've ended up in the 80s."
"Yea, but it could be better. Something tells me Edge doesn't know a whole lot about buying clothes for young women." Katie laughed, holding up a brightly coloured T-shirt. "I'd much rather be dressing in grunge. Grunge was okay."
They quickly changed into the strange clothes, which fit okay, but were still not completely comfortable, and made their way back down to the bottom of the stairs, where Edge was waiting for them by the open east entrance door. He smiled when he saw them in their new clothes. "Now that looks better." He paused. "Emma, may I have my key back?" He held out his hand.
"Oh! Of course." Emma quickly fished the brass key out from the pocket of her new 1992 jeans and handed it to him.
The Edge closed his hand around the small key and then looked around the dim stairwell. When he spoke, his voice was faraway with old memories. "I first came here in 1980. I'd heard rumours that time travellers had come out of this building, but I wasn't sure if I could believe it. I wanted to believe it. I wanted to go home. However, none of the doors go that far into the future. I tried all of them, but never got any farther than 2018. I did find something out though, by peeking into the years inbetween, I knew that I was supposed to stay here. That U2 was where I was supposed to be, and so I stayed."
He let out a small sigh, then shook his head, as though to shake away the memories. He stepped out into the sunshine and motioned them forward. "Come on, we have things to do."

Where are Emma and Katie going with The Edge? Will they ever get less tacky clothing? Will Edge ever get to go back to the future? Does it have a flux capacitor?! :lol:

:rockon: This story rocks Dreamoutloud!!
I would love to go back to the Zoo era too! Looks like Kate and Emma have an awesome adventure ahead.

I once did a death perdiction survey and they said the year I would die is 2083:reject:

scha said:
No, it's not like Narnia any more...and it's not a problem at all, since I'm not a huge fan of that story (sorry to the fans...:reject: )....but I am getting to be a fan of this one! :applaud:
You may want to check out Stephen King's Dark Tower series, because that's where I'm stealing my ideas from :wink: At least, the whole concept of time travelling via "magic" doors came from there.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

You may want to check out Stephen King's Dark Tower series, because that's where I'm stealing my ideas from :wink: At least, the whole concept of time travelling via "magic" doors came from there.

Thanks, I'd need some escape from reality this time around anyway...

I wish I could go back in time and meet Fro!Adam :D

...:uhoh:

...:eyebrow: *waiting for Future!Edge to come get her*

....*taps foot and checks watch* :grumpy:

:lol: Great story so far though. I love the concept!

Back
Top Bottom