Edge of Time - Chapter 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
Okay, okay. You ladies are impatient. Fortunately, I actually wrote this last night, not long after posting the first chapter, but I'm mean and I just wanted to make you all wait a little bit :wink:

Beware, though this story takes place in London, I've never been there, and I may very well have totally butchered the geography. But like I said before, I'm writing this for fun, and I'm not bothering to research anything.

Chapter Two

The journey into the heart of London was a short one, and the two girls found the building without much trouble. It was an old brick thing, six stories high, and somewhat dwarfed the smaller buildings on either size of it. Emma wasn't sure what purpose the building had served in its prime, but now it was certainly abandoned.
Standing in front of the building, the girls tried to peer into the darkened front windows, but it was no use. There didn't appear to be anything inside to see.
Katie stepped back from the building and looked down the busy street, into the traffic. It was a comforting sight. Traffic, annoying though it might be, meant civilization, people, and some semblance of safety. She looked back at the building, it held an air of emptiness, mystery, and perhaps danger. Emma was stepping farther to the right, getting closer to the building.
"Come on, Em, this is a total joke. We're not going in there."
But Emma didn't appear to hear her. Her attention was solely focused on the building in front of her, and the task at hand, as represented by the white envelope she was clutching. "The east entrance must be down this little alley." Emma said, stepping closer to the narrow and gloomy passage between the buildings.
"Em! We're not going down some creepy old alley!"
"Katie just have a look, there's nothing down here. Nothing's going to jump out and get us in broad daylight." As she spoke, Emma finally turned back and took notice of how nervous her best friend looked about all of this. "Look, let's at least find the door and look inside. Nothing bad is going to happen."
"You can't know that." Katie said in a low voice, but allowed herself to follow Emma into the alley. It wasn't really as gloomy down here as she originally thought, and before long they came to the only door set into that side of the building.
Emma immediately stepped up onto the low stoop and fished the key out of the envelope. Holding her breath in anticipation, she slipped the key into the keyhole. To her delight, it fit, turned, and she heard the lock make a small clicking sound as it released. As she swung the door open, Katie stepped up behind her, and they both peered into the dim building.
The door opened onto a narrow stairwell, completely empty aside from an old coatrack in the far corner. Emma stepped one foot inside, then turned her head and looked back down the alley, finally showing a bit of nervousness. She turned her head back into the building, took a deep breath, and called out.
"Hellooooooooooo! Anybody theeeeeeeeeeere?" Her voice echoed back at her from within the bowels of the large, empty building. They both stood and silently waited for any sort of response, but recieved none, not a single sound.
Emma turned back to Katie. "I think it's empty, come on." She spoke in a low whisper.
"If it's empty, then why are we whispering?" Katie too, was whispering.
"Because.." Emma stopped and consciously forced her voice back to a normal speaking tone before continuing. "Because it just feels right to whisper when you're in an empty place."
"Better yet, if it's empty, why are we bothering to go in?"
"I don't know, but we might as well see what all the fuss is about. Aren't you curious?"
Katie couldn't deny that she was. "Oh fine, let's go."
They stepped inside and made their way up the dusty stairs. Based on old signs tacked to the wall at the first landing, they surmised that the building once served as an office building. All the way up to the third floor, neither of them heard a single sound or saw any other sign to suggest that they weren't the first people to traverse these stairs in years.
Once in the third floor hallway, which was lined on either side with plain doors identical aside from the gold plated numbers near their tops, they quickly found room 309 and approached the door.
Inside there were a couple of old fashioned wooden desks, one with a few yellowing papers still spread across its dusty surface. Dusty shadows on the ancient grey linoleum floor suggested that there were once a total of six desks in this room. The walls were covered in white paint which had begun to peel off in large pieces, revealing the pale blue coat beneath. A row of large windows lined the wall to the left. Through the windows, a large billboard for Virgin Mobile could be clearly seen.
Both girls spotted the narrow door on the other side of the room at the same time and immediately rushed toward it. By now their curiousity about just what might lie behind that door had pushed away their earlier fear. They were both suckers for an adventure, and this was the biggest one they'd had in a fair while. Emma reached the door first and grabbed the knob. When it swung open, they both turned back to eachother in confusion.
"It's just a closet." Katie said, disappointment showing in her voice. Neither of them had known what to expect, but a closet, empty save for an old broom in the corner, and a dusty vinyl raincoat hanging on a hook at the back, wasn't it.
Emma stepped into the closet, and motioned for Katie to do the same. Emma felt stupid for stepping into the closet, but she'd come this far, and she'd be damned if she wasn't going to follow the instructions completely. Katie squeezed into the closet with her, and before either of them could say another word Emma pulled the door shut behind them. They were immediately plunged into total darkness.
"What did you do that for?!" Katie asked, the earlier fear she had felt now back completely. "I can't see anything!"
"It said to be sure to shut the door." She'd no sooner gotten these words out than she felt Katie's foot come down upon hers. "OW! That was my foot!"
"Sorry!" Katie said, quickly moving her feet away from Emma's. "And okay, you've closed it like the thing said, now open it again, and can we please get out of here? I've had enough of this."
"Okay, okay." Emma said, opening the door again.
They tumbled back out of the closet and were halfway to the door back into the hall when Katie stopped and grabbed Emma's arm. "Em, why do I feel like something's not right."
Emma looked around, then suddenly her eyes got wide as realization set in. "Katie, the walls."
Then Katie noticed it too. The walls were now completely blue. "What.." She started to ask, then trailed off as she noticed something else. "Emma, look at the billboard!"
The billboard outside no longer proclaimed Virgin Mobile as the best provider of pay-as-you-go plans, and instead, bore the immediately recognizable black and yellow logo for Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats.
"They couldn't have changed it that fast." Emma was shaking her head in disbelief.
"That's not the scariest part."
"Do I want to know what the scariest part is?"
"Emma, Cats is not even running anymore!"
"Okay, I'm officially freaked out, let's get the hell out of here."
Without another word, the girls rushed across the room, down the hall and back to the door leading into the stairwell. As soon as Emma wrenched the door open, she immediately became aware of a thin figure on the landing below, just about to mount the next stretch of stairs. He was dressed in black pants adorned with a number of sparkly stones and a black sleeveless shirt, over this shirt he wore an unbuttoned purple one, with the sleeves cut off. He had Chucks on his feet, and a black knit cap tugged down over his head.
Emma let out a small scream and took a step back, grabbing onto Katie for support. Katie hadn't screamed, but she was just as frightened. After their small scare in room 309, coming across a stranger in the stairwell would've been scary enough. But this wasn't exactly a stranger. There was no mistaking who this young man was. This was The Edge, U2's lead guitarist. Only, there was something not quite right about him that made this situation all the more frightening. The man now looking up at them in concern looked all too young, and his clothing wasn't right either. If she wasn't mistaken, he looked as though he'd stepped right out of 1992. Or, she realized with a sinking feeling, if the strange change of the billboard and the blue paint were an indication of anything, maybe they had stepped right into 1992.

Oh no! What's going to happen to Emma and Katie?! Why is Edge there?! Why is it 1992! You'll find the answers in chapter three... which is not written yet :p

Nicely done :applaud: I love it!!!

and for some reason

"That's not the scariest part."
"Do I want to know what the scariest part is?"
"Emma, Cats is not even running anymore!"

made me laugh out loud

DAYAUMMMM! This should be a Sci Fi channle movie or something. This is freaky in a cool,"edgy" way! Very nice work Dreamoutloud:yes:

Carmelu2fan said:
DAYAUMMMM! This should be a Sci Fi channle movie or something. This is freaky in a cool,"edgy" way! Very nice work Dreamoutloud:yes:
Blame the sci-fi books I've been reading lately. I am totally stealing ideas straight out of the books :shh:

With any luck, I'll have chapter 3 up sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:
Edge of Time is a good title, altough I was wondering about something like "The Girls, The Edge And The Wardrobe" ....:wink:

And I'm waiting for more as the others, coz right now I'm very curious what would come out if you mixed Narnia with ZooTV....? :hmm:

scha said:
Edge of Time is a good title, altough I was wondering about something like "The Girls, The Edge And The Wardrobe" ....:wink:

And I'm waiting for more as the others, coz right now I'm very curious what would come out if you mixed Narnia with ZooTV....? :hmm:
I've never read the Chronicles of Narnia :reject: I haven't seen the film either...

Back
Top Bottom