Edge of Time - Chapter 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
Yes, the title is a pun. I've decided I need to write something simple and fairly pointless and ultimately unimportant, to save my mind from the mega-huge fanfic I've been working on for nearly a year, which will be close to 100 pages if I ever finish it. I need a break from writing that, and so here I am, with a plot I've plucked from the recesses of my brain.

Be forewarned, I am taking no strides to ensure the historical or geographical accuracy of anything I'm about to write. So I'll probably get everything very wrong, but that's the whole point of my writing this right now, and not my other story, because this is just for fun.

Without further ado:

Edge of Time

Emma turned the envelope over in her hand once more, but it revealed no more of it's secrets. Her name and address were printed neatly on the outside, in an unfamilar hand. The stamp in the corner was unremarkable, just the Queen's profile, postmarked in London, two days ago. There was no return address.
The contents inside were much more interesting. Most notably, a heavy brass key. There were also a pair of items that were especially interesting to Emma. A pair of U2 concert tickets. What made these somewhat less excited, but in a way, more interesting, is that these tickets weren't for the current tour, but for the ZooTV tour, which had ended more than a decade ago. U2 were still hugely popular, and older merchandise sold quite well online. That included ticket stubs from past tours, but these tickets were unused, which made them even more of a collector's item. But of course Emma wouldn't sell them, she loved U2 way too much to try to make a quick buck with the tickets.
"Read me the letter again, Em."
Oh yes, the letter. Emma looked up at her best friend Katie, who was lying on her stomach on Emma's bed, propped up on her elbows and holding the pair of tickets delicately in her hands. Emma was sitting on the floor leaning against the wall, she'd been so lost in thought, thinking about what that ZooTV show might've been like, that she'd almost forgotten about the letter.
The short, unsigned letter that had been in the envelope with the key and the tickets was written in the same unfamiliar handwriting as her address on the envelope. The letter was short and didn't make an incredible lot of sense. She unfolded it and read it aloud to her friend.

"Dear Emma,
We don't know one another, but information travels remarkably fast in this city. I know how much you love U2, and fortunately, I have some connections that may interest you quite a lot. The tickets included with this letter are not as useless as you might think.
If you'd like to possibly meet the band, and see a show, bring the tickets and the key to the address below at 10 AM on the 16th of June, and follow the enclosed instructions. Be sure you have at least a few days of leave, as we'll most certainly be travelling.
Lastly, I'd like to ask you to trust me. A man is only as good as his word, and mine is that I mean you absolutely no harm. I've included two tickets, and I'd encourage you to bring a friend, as it would surely add to your own peace of mine."

"And that's it, no signature, and then the address and instructions are just tacked onto the bottom." Emma looked up at Katie briefly as she spoke, and then returned to studying the note.
"Where is it?"
"I don't know, I don't recognize the street name. I think it's mid-London though. It's all so weird though." Emma began reading again from the note. "Use the key to unlock the east entrance, take the stairway to the third floor, find room 309 and enter, lastly, go through the doorway at the opposite end of the room, making sure to shut the door behind you."
"You're not going to actually go are you?"
"It's a week away..." Emma spoke quietly, almost completely lost in thought.
"Emma?!"
Emma finally looked up. "Would it be so crazy if I were thinking of going? It's U2. I'd give anything to meet them."
"Would you give your life? Who knows what kind of sicko sent that. Probably some kind of psycho with his mind on a couple of innocent young girls."
"Since when are you innocent?" Emma asked, laughter creeping into her voice.
Katie sat up on the bed and threw a pillow at Emma. "Oh hush."
Emma dodged the pillow and waited until her amusement had subsided before speaking again. "Katie, will you go down there with me?"
"Emma, I don't know, it just seems so fishy."
"It could be something totally innocent! We'll never know unless we try. We'll just go down there next week, and have a look around. If it seems to creepy, we'll go straight home, I promise."
Katie let out a long sigh. "Well it is U2. I suppose they are worth it. Damn them."
"Thank you. Now give me those tickets back before you lose them or something."
Emma took the tickets back and tucked them securely back into the envelope, along with the key, and the letter. This she placed in her top dresser drawer, where it would stay safely for the following week, when she'd take it out for good.

DUN DUN DUN! What will become of Emma and Katie? Who sent them that mysterious letter? Stay tuned for chapter 2 and find out! :hyper:

:hyper: oy vey mama.... ZooTv U2.... me likesh!

:wink: I like your ideas..

but why dont you start dividing the huge fic into chaps and post them here? I've heard so much about it now, I wanna read it!!!!!

*coughshowerscenecough*

:shifty:

Galeongirl said:
but why dont you start dividing the huge fic into chaps and post them here? I've heard so much about it now, I wanna read it!!!!!

*coughshowerscenecough*

:shifty:
Because I'm still revising even the earliest parts. I won't be sompletely satisfied with any of it until it's 100% complete.

And besides, if I posted that story here, I'd get banned!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Because I'm still revising even the earliest parts. I won't be sompletely satisfied with any of it until it's 100% complete.

And besides, if I posted that story here, I'd get banned!

:shifty: there's always u2-fanfiction.com

and my emailadress :wink:

snack-1.gif
Ditto on what Kaf said

That was very good dreamoutlud13. Very well put together too. To do that while writing another story is amazing! Cannot wait for more.

Back
Top Bottom