Edge helped launch XO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
Edge has created a custom start-up sound for the groundbreaking XO laptop, designed to help children in developing countries 'learn learning'.

One Laptop per Child, the non-profit organization behind the XO, revealed details today, as the purchase programme went live in North America.

The start-up sound accompanies a unique animation in which an “XO” spins 360 degrees to look like a child. One Laptop per Child (OLPC) manufacture and distribute laptop computers that are sufficiently inexpensive to provide children in developing countries with access to knowledge and modern forms of education.

“I'm delighted to support One Laptop Per Child," said Edge. "It's an amazing aim to use this new technology to help children all over the world."

At present the laptops are only available in North America - when you buy one, you also provide one for a child in a developing country.

:heart:
WHAT A SWEET MAN!

Edge and Bono- 2 hearts that really do beat as one-

Another great thing he has involved himself in, wonder how much the laptop is-will have to do some googling....:cool:

^ I like the Windows XP startup sound...makes me think of water tumbling over rocks, which is a nice association. :wink:

I'm guessing Edge probably got tapped for this through a Media Lab connection...he was on the board of the now-defunct Irish campus of Media Lab back when the US campus unveiled the OLPC project.

That original article is misleading, though--OLPC doesn't "distribute" computers, they sell them to governments; and as a North American individual customer you can't buy "one," rather you buy two ($200 each plus shipping), one of which goes to you, the other of which then becomes one less computer a government needs to purchase in order to acquire it.

Back
Top Bottom