Edge at Hard Rock Cafe auction -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thankyou

Refugee
For some reason i keep thinking something has probably already been posted on this auction but maybe i'm just not seeing the thread for it. if it's been please merge with existing one. thankyou.

BONO AND EDGE ITEMS HELP RAISE MILLIONS FOR HURRICANE KATRINA FUND

Iconic items belonging to U2 pair THE EDGE and BONO helped fetch $2.4 million (GBP1.2 million) yesterday (21Apr07) at an auction to benefit musicians who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. The Edge's beloved Gibson Les Paul guitar sold for $240,000 (GBP123,000), while Bono's sunglasses fetched $20,000 (GBP10,200) at New York's Hard Rock Cafe for Music Rising - a charity fund set up by The Edge after the 2005 natural disaster. Also sold belonging to the pair included The Edge's 1958 Gibson archtop guitar, which sold for $105,000 (GBP53,000), and Bono's autographed Irish Falcon Gretsch Guitar, which went for $180,000 (GBP92,000). The Edge says, "I have to say that it is a strange feeling to see some of your stuff up here." Other musical items sold were Jimi Hendrix's 1966 Red Fender Mustang guitar, Bill Clinton's saxophone and a pair of John Lennon's round sunglasses.

22/04/2007 14:30

Also on another site I found Adam & Larry mentioned and some more quotes:

The autographed Irish Falcon Gretsch Guitar of U2 frontman Bono sold for $180,000, while U2 bassist Adam Clayton's Fender Active Jazz Deluxe went for $22,000 and the tom tom used in the U2's Vertigo tour by drummer Larry Mullen Jr. sold for $19,000.

The most emotional sale of the seven-hour auction involved The Edge's Les Paul guitar, which he had used on every U2 tour since 1985.

Dallas Schoo, the Irish rock band's longtime guitar technician, told Reuters he regretted the sale of the guitar.

In concert, "whenever Bono yells that he wants to go into free form," Schoo said, "that has always been my go-to guitar" to hand off to The Edge.

"It looks like it's been through a war," said Ralph Trenke, an avid U2 fan who took home The Edge's 1958 Gibson archtop but came up short in bidding on the Les Paul.

the following link takes you to a related site showing pics of the edge with his guitar

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070422/...3_us_auctin;_ylt=AqZTP415PwJ2wBHZRYOJVLDK.nQA

any pics of the guitar Bono donated?

Last edited:
Just for everyone's info, I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend and they have a Goal of Soul Falcon Gretsch of Bono's displayed there. The sign read that it was one of 10 made for him. So I'm sure he still has one. I remember many sad that he wouldn't be playing it again. Not to worry! Oh and BTW I got into trouble trying to touch Bono's fly suit. Lights and an intercom came on and everything! :shifty:

I'm just going to close this thread, since it's been stated that this info can be found in the Freestylin' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom