Does Bono still smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LostAtMoon said:

Even intolerance is more dangerous than smoking.

:confused:

I'm not bashing smokers... far from it! As I mentioned in my post, I smoked for years, and remember exactly how it feels to not want to continue to smoke, but not want to quit either! And quitting was really, really difficult for me, because smoking did give me pleasure in some respects, and it was a stress release.

I expect Bono and Larry both want to quit on some level, and maybe even have tried a dozen times, who knows? Maybe not. It's a constant tug of war you have with yourself.

What I can't stand is smoking, and what it does to your health! And that's not a contradiction either, believe me. I'd never look down on people who smoke-- I used to be one of them myself.

I swore that when I quit, I would not be one of "those" ex-smokers who railed against it... but it happened anyway. One of my best friend's sister was diagnosed at 38 with lung cancer. She died within a year, leaving a 5 year old son behind. Both my uncle and aunt are slowly dying from emphysema, and it's a horrible, horrible way to go, believe me.

What upsets me in these threads is when I see young people glamourizing and rationalizing Bono's smoking. I just want to stand up and say "No, don't do it! Don't be drawn in!"

Like I was when I was young, and thought smoking looked really cool, and decided to give it a try. And then spent almost 15 years trying to stop.

last unicorn said:

That's what Bono did in the early 90s, just light a cigarette to keep his hands busy and don't get nervous when people were staring at him.
Later he started to "really" smoke, meaning: inhale.

:scratch: Don't you mean the 80s???
Cos in the early 90s you can see him almost in every video smoking and I'm sure he inhales in One for instance. Well, not only in videos, but also in a lot of pictures he has a cig.
And he's already been smoking in the 80s, though not so much as in the 90s I guess. :hmm:
He didn't smoke in videos from the early years, but there are pictures of baby Bono with a cig and also in that sketch from the JT era where they play Godfather Bono has a cigar... :wink:

BTW I don't mind if he smokes or not, if he doesn't smoke 60 cigarettes a day like my dad, it's OK. And if he doesn't smoke in the days when they're playing during the tour it cannot do much harm to his voice. Smoking is not the only factor that affects a voice.

:crack: OMG I think I need another cigarette... :reject:

Last edited:
GracelandHarley said:
wish for nothing more than for Bono and Larry to quit (and join Adam and Edge in the "former smokers" club, which I never expected Adam to join,

Since when Edge stoped smoking?!

GracelandHarley said:

Oh, come on. The "Bill Clinton" defense?

Saint Bono smokes. Inhales deeply, I'm sure, as all smokers do. Negatively affects his health, no doubt about it at all. That's what smoking does. And there is no such thing as "not smoking, just puffing"!

What Bill Clinton defense? I'm seriously asking. There is a difference between just puffing (with cigars) and actually inhaling (with cigarettes).

U2girl said:

What Bill Clinton defense? I'm seriously asking. There is a difference between just puffing (with cigars) and actually inhaling (with cigarettes).

Bill Clinton's famous words, that he did not have sex with Monica lewinsky... I'm fairly sure that's what she means...

Graceland, I see what you mean! my father smoked for pretty much all of his life, and he quit last year.... thank god for that! as I'm one of the persons saying Bono with a cig looks sexy, that doesn't mean that I'm gonna start smoking! I can't stand the smoke, even though when some people in my friends circle do smoke, and I let them. I'm fine as long as they know what they're doing. I know there are a lot of kids thinking that smoking is cool and they should do it too, but I think the majority of the people here is a lot smarter/older than that, and I doubt that anyone would start smoking because Bono does...

Galeongirl said:

Bill Clinton's famous words, that he did not have sex with Monica lewinsky... I'm fairly sure that's what she means...

That's a good guess, but actually, when Clinton was first running for President, he was asked if he'd ever smoked pot. He said he had tried it, but that he didn't inhale. (Yeah, sure, pull the other one Bill.)

I'm with you, Graceland. Smoking is nasty and dangerous, period. Bono's got lung cancer on one side and a brain aneurysm on the other side of his family so he damn better be careful, but I'm sure he isn't stupid and is aware of the more significant implications on his health. No point in sexualizing it or making it sound cool or coming up with weird excuses just because it's Bono holding the cig. The man smokes. He has for a long long time and probably will for a long long time. Oh well, so does my dad (pack a day) and I still love him. If Bono quits, good on him. If he doesn't, oh well, we're all human.

Sidenote - I'm not getting the difference between smoking and puffing. I thought second-hand smoke (the smoke not inhaled) is worse for you anyway. So do cigar smokers who "puff" quick run away from every little puff so as to avoid inadvertently inhaling the smoke? IMO, you smoke or you don't. Either way makes no difference to me really.

Liesje said:
I'm with you, Graceland. Smoking is nasty and dangerous, period. Bono's got lung cancer on one side and a brain aneurysm on the other side of his family

oh never mind but yeah.

No no, go back and reread Liesje's post. She meant there is a family history of cancer on one side of his family. I can see how Justin24 got confused tho!

Jeannieco said:

What? Where did you get that from?

No, his father died of lung cancer and his mother died of a brain aneurysm. It's possible he's genetically predisposed to one or both of these conditions, and smoking is a very great risk for both.

Second-hand smoke is not worse than actively smoking.
In 1992 or 93 there was a report by the US health ministry (or some such office) that said some research has shown that second hand smoke is so bad, or even worse than activley smoking. However, this is not really true as many other studies found out. This was probably made up to strenghthen the opposition against smoking, because what they indeed found out in the US and other countries was that the treatment of smokers is more costs more than the state earns in taxes.

Worst off smoking is the smoker himself, second hand smoke isn't healthy, but it's also not that dangerous.

Nevertheless, I've got a smoker's disease although I've never smoked in my life. And it's no fun at all.

I would be happy if Bono and Larry could find other things to cope with the stress. It would be helpful for their health.

But I won't judge them, and if they continued, well, so be it.

I have had one cigarette since 10/30/06. I just stop smoking without any help. I thought it was going to be hard to quit, but I guess it just has to do with each person.

Trying to quit here. My inlaws are visiting though...talk about STRESS! All I hear is....:blahblah: then I :banghead: and go smoke. 11 more days! LOL!

Liesje said:

No, his father died of lung cancer and his mother died of a brain aneurysm. It's possible he's genetically predisposed to one or both of these conditions, and smoking is a very great risk for both.

In the "Bono on Bono" book he said his dad had Parkinson's....

moussy said:

:scratch: Don't you mean the 80s???
Cos in the early 90s you can see him almost in every video smoking and I'm sure he inhales in One for instance. Well, not only in videos, but also in a lot of pictures he has a cig.
And he's already been smoking in the 80s, though not so much as in the 90s I guess. :hmm:
He didn't smoke in videos from the early years, but there are pictures of baby Bono with a cig and also in that sketch from the JT era where they play Godfather Bono has a cigar... :wink:

BTW I don't mind if he smokes or not, if he doesn't smoke 60 cigarettes a day like my dad, it's OK. And if he doesn't smoke in the days when they're playing during the tour it cannot do much harm to his voice. Smoking is not the only factor that affects a voice.

:crack: OMG I think I need another cigarette... :reject:
Hmm, I think Bono said that he was only having a cigarette/cigar during Zoo TV because he thought it was cool and added to his image, plus it made him feel more comfortable when people were staring at him in public places, restaurants and such, but he didn't inhale. He started doing that years later. I think it's in U2 by U2, the band said that Bono came to smoking very late in life, in his mid 30s.
Anyway, to make it clear, I realls wish he would quit.
But I don't bash him for smoking, since I can understand to a certain extend why he is doing it. I am trying not to be judgemental. It's an addiction, people need help, not bashing.
And I have had cases of lung cancer in my family as well.

lauramullen said:
I have had one cigarette since 10/30/06. I just stop smoking without any help. I thought it was going to be hard to quit, but I guess it just has to do with each person.

Yes, that's very individually.
My mother went to hypnosis therapy two times. The day after she was a wreck and got angry about really nothing. She still smokes today, but to a much lesser extent.

After my mother went to the therapy for the first time my father quit as well. He just stopped and never smoked again.
I know many people who made it a week or two, and then they couldn't resist anymore.

I'm very glad I've never started when my friends did. The first time they were only 8, and then again with 14.

bonocomet said:

From interferencers who saw and met them. In Hawaii Babydoll, kafrun and Carmelu2fan sat at an outdoor balcony right next to Bono where he was smoking. And I think it was Gluey who met Larry in New Zealand when he came outside his hotel to smoke. I hope I got all the names and places straight. :uhoh:

He was sitting across from us and had a strong-smelling cigar.... and I kept choking and coughing on the smell and giggling coz it was Bono's smoke I was choking on... and he kept looking over at me. :reject:

:drool:

last unicorn said:

Hmm, I think Bono said that he was only having a cigarette/cigar during Zoo TV because he thought it was cool and added to his image, plus it made him feel more comfortable when people were staring at him in public places, restaurants and such, but he didn't inhale. He started doing that years later. I think it's in U2 by U2, the band said that Bono came to smoking very late in life, in his mid 30s.
Anyway, to make it clear, I realls wish he would quit.
But I don't bash him for smoking, since I can understand to a certain extend why he is doing it. I am trying not to be judgemental. It's an addiction, people need help, not bashing.
And I have had cases of lung cancer in my family as well.

Actually he started smoking in 1987... in Killing Bono he explains to Neil McCormick that it's because of the stress...

Okay a few questions/comments:

1) I never knew Larry smoked. How long has he been smoking for and how do we know?

2) How do we know that Adam quit smoking?

3) When did Edge smoke, if ever?

4) And I heard Bono was going to quit since it was damaging his voice, I heard this back in the Elevation era.

Infinitum98 said:
Okay a few questions/comments:

1) I never knew Larry smoked. How long has he been smoking for and how do we know?

2) How do we know that Adam quit smoking?

3) When did Edge smoke, if ever?

4) And I heard Bono was going to quit since it was damaging his voice, I heard this back in the Elevation era.

1: I don't know where the earliest pics of him smoking are, but he confessed in the latest Q interview that his olders boy always tells him off for smoking, so he smokes outside his house...

2: Adam quit both smoking and drinking after the sydney incident

3: Edge has been smoking since the late 80's, same with Bono

4: Bono had throat problems after POpmart, and was scared for throat cancer, went to a doctor for a while for it, they told him he couldn't smoke anymore in 2001... but he still does it anyway...

Galeongirl said:

2: Adam quit both smoking and drinking after the sydney incident
He was still smoking up until Elevation. He hasn't been seen with a cig since then though..

rubberducky said:

In the "Bono on Bono" book he said his dad had Parkinson's....

He did. I think he developed this as well while battling lung cancer. When he died though I remember reading articles about him dying of cancer. For example...

August 21, 2001
Bono's Father Dies

8.21.01 - ABCNews.com

With U2 on tour, Bono had been flying home to Dublin after shows to visit his father, Bob Hewson, who had been battling cancer. A spokesman for the band has confirmed that Hewson has passed away.

Bono's father has lost his battle to cancer.

With U2 touring in Europe, Bono had been returning home to Dublin every night to visit his ailing dad, Bob Hewson, a 75-year-old retired postal worker. At recent shows, the lead singer had been dedicating the song "Kite" to the man.

'This Is for You Bob'

Bono first spoke publicly about the severity of his father's illness last week during a concert in Britain.

"He only has a few days left in this world. This is for Bob, you old tough-o," said Bono, who continued to dedicate "Kite" to his father at U2's subsequent appearances.

The song, which appears on the current release All That You Can't Leave Behind, reflects upon death.

I'm not afraid to die,

I'm not afraid to live,

And when I'm flat on my back,

I hope to feel like I did

Bono's loss comes as U2 is again at the top of the rock scene.

The group earned three Grammys for a song from their current release and continues to score hits from the album.

U2 is also selling out concerts around the world and is on track to become one of the most profitable tours in history.

"I can confirm that Bono's father has died. We don't have any more details at this stage," a U2 spokeswoman told Reuters.

The group will perform in London tonight and complete their U.K. tour despite the loss, according to NME.com. They will then return home to Ireland this weekend for two sold-out concerts at Slain Castle in Dublin which holds 80,000 people.

Copyright © 2001 ABCNEWS Internet Ventures. All rights reserved.

Liesje said:

He did. I think he developed this as well while battling lung cancer. When he died though I remember reading articles about him dying of cancer. For example...

Where are you getting your information that Bono's father died of lung cancer?

I have read that he hated Bono smoking.

Back
Top Bottom