Does Bono Still Smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He should have quit by now...

During the Elevation Tour at the Oakland show, Bono said "please forgive my voice, I have been trying to quit but someone placed a cigarette to my hand last night" . I will assume that he is in the quitting process.

If you lead me to him, I'll nag him until he stops. It worked with two other people; my mum and my dad. My mum stopped because she became pregnant with me (OK, so it's not nagging, but still...) and she was a heavy chain smoker. I just nagged my dad until he stopped, but he didn't smoke that much, so it was pretty easy. Hasn't smoked for two and a half years.

OH I KNOW! If Bono get's pregnant, maybe he'll stop then?

I would guess that he still does to some extent, but....when's the last time we can confirm he was smoking? (someone saw or has a pic of him smoking)

Ok, I'd love to say I was there personally to take this picture, but alas, I found it in Blender magazine. :( This was from what... late last summer? Early fall?
346%3A6%3C%3B%3B4%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3243%3E872%3E7%3B4%3EWSNRCG%3D32337354%3B9577nu0mrj

shit, I thought he quit..... :sad:

it's hard, I'm myself a smoker..... 5-6 per day and I can tell you that it's tough to stop..... ahhh....those "pleasure" cigarettes.... in the morning, at night after work..... when you drink a beer......

anyway, it's BAD!!!!!:madspit:

at the shows lets stop with all the "thank you" and "one" signs and lets start a "bono stop smoking" campaign...if he wants us to listen and follow what he say then it should be a two way street..he needs to listen to us:D..cut some sort of deal with him to quit smoking or something like that:hmm::lol:...just an idea, I don't think I got enough sleep lastnight:crazy:

How about, "By your next birthday, Bono, stop smoking!"

It's very tough to quit. And don't forget that while we in the States have been on anti-smoking kick for ages, the rest of the world is way behind. It's still seen as cool, sadly, in a lot of places.

But cancer is not cool and neither is having to cut your career short -- singing and speaking wise -- if your throat can't take it. Even if U2 doesn't perform forever, I want Bono to stay an advocate well into his later years.

SimplyConfused said:
If you lead me to him, I'll nag him until he stops. It worked with two other people; my mum and my dad. My mum stopped because she became pregnant with me (OK, so it's not nagging, but still...) and she was a heavy chain smoker. I just nagged my dad until he stopped, but he didn't smoke that much, so it was pretty easy. Hasn't smoked for two and a half years.

OH I KNOW! If Bono get's pregnant, maybe he'll stop then?

Interesting thought lol

Is it just me that thinks its not that bad that he smokes..:reject:
he drinks quite alot too (im not complaining!) but no one ever seems as bothered about alcohol when it has just as bad an effect on peoples lives.

partygirlvox said:
Is it just me that thinks its not that bad that he smokes..:reject:
he drinks quite alot too (im not complaining!) but no one ever seems as bothered about alcohol when it has just as bad an effect on peoples lives.

I think in general he should be careful, given his family history.

silvrlvr said:

It's very tough to quit. And don't forget that while we in the States have been on anti-smoking kick for ages, the rest of the world is way behind.

I disagree. I suppose it depends on where you live, but in a lot of other places outside the States, smoking is already banned in public places, even bars and pubs. Sure, we have a lot more anti-smoking propaganda, but ironically much if that is funded by the tobacco companies. As far as legislation goes, WE are way behind.

^ Yeah, here in the UK, next year it's going to be made illegal to smoke in public places and all cigarette/cigar etc. boxes have huge stickers on them with health warnings. My favourite is;

Smokers die a slow and painful death.

:eyebrow:

when i was in dublin i noticed ALOT of people smoking, not half as many as when i went over to the US. So I think that europe is a bit behind with the whole smoking thing..(which i dont think is always a bad thing..personal choice and all that. I wouldnt want to smoke but if people want to do it safely without harming others then fine)

partygirlvox said:
when i was in dublin i noticed ALOT of people smoking, not half as many as when i went over to the US. So I think that europe is a bit behind with the whole smoking thing..(which i dont think is always a bad thing..personal choice and all that. I wouldnt want to smoke but if people want to do it safely without harming others then fine)

But if you went into a family restaurant, like the equivallent of Applebees, you wouldn't find people smoking in a family restaurant in Dublin.

Dismantled said:
at the shows lets stop with all the "thank you" and "one" signs and lets start a "bono stop smoking" campaign...if he wants us to listen and follow what he say then it should be a two way street..he needs to listen to us:D.

I don’t think it would work. We just have to accept that he smokes. I’m happy to know that he reduced and doesn’t smoke as often as he used to.

partygirlvox said:
(which i dont think is always a bad thing..personal choice and all that. I wouldnt want to smoke but if people want to do it safely without harming others then fine)

I agree with you on that. As long as I’m not beeing harmed, it’s not my business what people do to feel more comfortable, relaxed, or whatever.

Last edited:
Bono and larry still smoke, Adam quit after the 93 incident, and haven't seen anything with Edge lately
for Larry proof, check Conan O' brien secrets, there's a lighted cig in front of him...
for Bono, same show, but with the cigar, and he's smoking it .. he also got busted in 2004 for smoking in the clarence(it's illegal to smoke in public places in Ireland!) with the RHCP...

:madwife: QUIT SMOKING BONO!!

hm.. should be on the signs for the next tour!

Adam did not quit in '93...plenty of pics of him smoking through Elevation times, after that I don't know, haven't seen him smoking since then.

Edge was still smoking some in 2004 - a Brazilian (I think, might have been in Spanish - memory is hazy <g>) fansite had an interview with him in the studio late in the HTDAAB recording process and he offered the interviewer a cig a couple of times.

I definitely agree with you Dis! :wink:

How can anyone in their right mind advocate/approve of or tolerate smoking? :|

I don't want Bono to die before his time :sad:

Back
Top Bottom