Does Bono Still Smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess you're in the wrong folder for topics like this, it's more for PLEBA....but to answer your question; yes, Bono still smokes.

There's so many threads on this topic :sigh: Who knows? I mean, I doubt anyone here really knows whether or not he smokes since we don't see him on a day-to-day basis. He definitely shouldn't be smoking anymore, that's for sure.

The article in Mojo has him saying that he only smokes when he doesn't have to play the next night. So he'll smoke after shows where he's free the next day.

Ack! Smoking is so revolting..now you may be thinking: whose she to make such a statement, especially as I quite like the odd cig from time to time. The reason I say it is because I'm married to a smoker. He's smoked all his adult life and his breath is like, well, you can imagine. It's very sad cos he's a lovely man and I'm desperately worried about the long term effects.

That said, I so hope and wish that the Great B will see sense and give it up. Especially with him relying so much on his lovely voice. although, mebbee it's the smoking that makes it sound gravelly sometimes, I dunno.

I agree, youvedonewhat. I honestly can hardly even be friends w/ smokers b/c of what smoking has done to my family. I know it sounds judgemental, but I think smoking is one of the most selfish things people can do and I'm sorry if that's mean, but personal experience has left me very angry and bitter about this topic. My grandpa smoked well into adult-hood and it took FOUR massive heart attacks, the last one leaving him comatose and requiring a huge surgery, before he finally quit. He really doesn't deserve to be alive after all he's done to his body. My dad is well on his way. He's been smoking since his late teens, is 49 now and has already had 2 tumors removed. One was a little one on his back, but the other was a huge one from his neck under his left ear. It was very risky, many people lose nerve function and can't even smile after this surgery but my dad is one lucky bastard! And that tumor was at LEAST ten years ago now so he was only 39 at the oldest. My mom is really starting to get on him about it, b/c if he keeps up, he will become a vegetable and then we'll be stuck having to decide whether to keep him on tubes or let him go.

Anyway, enough about that. Personally, I just can't handle smoking, period. It's so terrible I can't imagine why anyone would even smoke "casually" (which is a term I don't agree with...you either smoke, or you don't). It's not the same as drinking either b/c drinking can be beneficial, smoking only destroys lives and families.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I agree, youvedonewhat. I honestly can hardly even be friends w/ smokers b/c of what smoking has done to my family. I know it sounds judgemental, but I think smoking is one of the most selfish things people can do and I'm sorry if that's mean, but personal experience has left me very angry and bitter about this topic. My grandpa smoked well into adult-hood and it took FOUR massive heart attacks, the last one leaving him comatose and requiring a huge surgery, before he finally quit. He really doesn't deserve to be alive after all he's done to his body. My dad is well on his way. He's been smoking since his late teens, is 49 now and has already had 2 tumors removed. One was a little one on his back, but the other was a huge one from his neck under his left ear. It was very risky, many people lose nerve function and can't even smile after this surgery but my dad is one lucky bastard! And that tumor was at LEAST ten years ago now so he was only 39 at the oldest. My mom is really starting to get on him about it, b/c if he keeps up, he will become a vegetable and then we'll be stuck having to decide whether to keep him on tubes or let him go.

Anyway, enough about that. Personally, I just can't handle smoking, period. It's so terrible I can't imagine why anyone would even smoke "casually" (which is a term I don't agree with...you either smoke, or you don't). It's not the same as drinking either b/c drinking can be beneficial, smoking only destroys lives and families.

sorry you had to use your family as an example but you make good points

and i dont even want to tale about how bad it smeels:combust: :yuck:

I think smoking is one of the most selfish things people can do

I totally agree on that! I ahte smoking too, both my parents do smoke and EVERYTHING in this house has that awful smell, plus, the health problems, most important of all.

I'm very sorry about your family, and I'm glad you got to realise how harmful it can be. :heart: Being a teenager, I consider that it sucks that lots of ppl who I know only smoke because it is cool socially, ppl who judge you by you being a smoker or not should really get a brain, is really really stupid. And worst of all, then you can't get rid of the nasty habit!! :madspit:

VicksSs said:

I totally agree on that! I ahte smoking too, both my parents do smoke and EVERYTHING in this house has that awful smell, plus, the health problems, most important of all.

I'm very sorry about your family, and I'm glad you got to realise how harmful it can be. :heart: Being a teenager, I consider that it sucks that lots of ppl who I know only smoke because it is cool socially, ppl who judge you by you being a smoker or not should really get a brain, is really really stupid. And worst of all, then you can't get rid of the nasty habit!! :madspit:

:applaud:

Ive lost relatives also to illnesses caused from smoking. My father was a heavy smoker from the time he was a teenager up until 2000. Back in the 80's he suffered a very bad heart attack from smoking and now has emphysema. What really irritates the hell out of me is to see pregnant women smoking or anyone smoking around children. That right there just makes my blood boil! :mad: Admire and love Bono a great deal but I really wish he would get rid of this nasty habit completely. There is nothing good that comes out of smoking!

BonosBaby12 said:
Admire and love Bono a great deal but I really wish he would get rid of this nasty habit completely. There is nothing good that comes out of smoking!

Same here. I mean, it doesn't make me like him less, b/c everyone has their faults. I don't need to drink 4 cans of mountain dew everyday. What really irks me is when people joke about him or others smoking or try to justify it by using the "casual" or "social" smoker labels. Chain smoker, pack-a-day, casual, social....either way, you're inhaling black tar into your body and then blowing it out and everyone else around you. That is sick.

Same here. I mean, it doesn't make me like him less, b/c everyone has their faults. I don't need to drink 4 cans of mountain dew everyday. What really irks me is when people joke about him or others smoking or try to justify it by using the "casual" or "social" smoker labels. Chain smoker, pack-a-day, casual, social....either way, you're inhaling black tar into your body and then blowing it out and everyone else around you. That is sick.

:hmm: to bad smokers dont think like that:sigh:

I’m a non smoker and I’ve also been fighting against smoking because of my father’s addiction.
I agree that it is a selfish habit and, from my experience, nothing that we say will help smokers fighting their problem.

A few years ago I had to work in a close space with a dozen people that used to smoke frequently, and because I couldn’t beat them, I joined them. :| One day I started smoking and they couldn’t believe it and started looking at me in an odd way.
It was an interesting experience because I proved myself that it is something that you can control. I never smoked anymore since the day I left that firm, two years ago.
I also am more tolerant about it now than I was before that experience and I hope them to be tolerant with me too. That’s how I managed to coexist with smokers (and with everybody else).;)

BonosBaby12 said:
Ive lost relatives also to illnesses caused from smoking. My father was a heavy smoker from the time he was a teenager up until 2000. Back in the 80's he suffered a very bad heart attack from smoking and now has emphysema. What really irritates the hell out of me is to see pregnant women smoking or anyone smoking around children. That right there just makes my blood boil! :mad: Admire and love Bono a great deal but I really wish he would get rid of this nasty habit completely. There is nothing good that comes out of smoking!

I totally agree with you........

except there is one good thing that came out of smoking

and its this pic:drool:
getty010cp.jpg
[/IMG]

but smoking is nasty and he should quit:shame:

:barf: Sorry, but those pics make me ill, lol. That's a like a guy who likes skinny girls drooling over a pic of a bulimic girl puking. :huh:

:ohmy: i just found this article, inadvertantly while looking for other pics. i wonder how old this article is :shrug:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_992869.html?menu=news.quirkies

Bono caught smoking in his own hotel

Bono has been ticked off for smoking a cigarette - in his own hotel.

37985.jpg

The U2 singer was entertaining the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the Clarence Hotel in Dublin when he lit up.

Staff and friends asked him to stub it out - even though the singer and his U2 bandmates own the hotel.

"It was the wee small hours," Bono said. "I was in the company of people from out of town who didn't know about the ban and for a moment nor did I.

"I was quickly reminded by the staff and a few friends. I apologised then and I apologise now."

Ireland passed strict new anti-smoking laws earlier this year outlawing smoking in public places.

The article is at least a year old. It happened right after they banned smoking in public places (including pubs) in Dublin. Bono was smoking at the bar or something.

i actually detest people lighting up in restaurants, and its always just as you are about to tuck in to a meal... and if they do it around kids I've gone up to tables and asked people to put them out and got into rows with people-I once had a meal in France and this woman was chain smoking whilst eating right next to me-I couldn't even taste my food because of the thick fog of smoke and nicotine being blown in my face... but because I couldn't speak French I had to lump it.... but if I ever catch Bono smoking around kids which I know i never will cause he wouldnt do that,I would put him across my knee and crush his fag packet:mad: :lol:

Last edited:
Dismantled said:

I totally agree with you........

except there is one good thing that came out of smoking

and its this pic:drool:
getty010cp.jpg
[/IMG]

but smoking is nasty and he should quit:shame:

BONO-hold out your hand while i get the ruler-urrrrrh-yuk

Back
Top Bottom