Do you think you're pretty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i read interior design magazines instead of fashion mags.

when i was a size 8--guys told me that i was fat :mad:

with depression and all, i gained a lot of weight, but im losing the weight.

being too skinny, starving yourself will only hurt you in the long run--when you are 60 yrs old, and have a broken hip caused by osteoporosis because you didn't have enough fat around the bone to protect it.

just be at your healthy weight.

madamc said:

I don't get where most guys can come off saying a size 8 is fat, I was very happy with my body when I was an 8 all those many years ago.........and another thing about guys they really have no room at all to talk......what kind of a person wears his pants so big and baggy you can see his boxer shorts, and then he thinks it looks good, that's just GROSS!!! IMO
If you feel Beautiful either inside or out then you are beautiful, it shouldn't matter what other people think or say. I think that just to be a woman is a very beautiful thing no matter what our shape or size is!

One thing I've noticed about my personality that goes with the topic here: I do things just to see what will happen. I always try for things like singing contest just to see how far I can get even though I can't sing that well. I sent in an application to be one of those skinny models but of course I'm pretty average when it come to weight. I enjoy making fun of things I'm not good at I guess.

mad1 said:
Hi BV!!!!!! :D go to the YMCA gym across from Linenhall - Im going there later to get a programme worked out for me to help gain muscle......Im like Sicy, find it hard to gain weight - gainin is extrem slow........a nightmare.......my figure needs more fat defination......therefore gonna go help strengthan up............

:)

*wonders what Sicys weight is......wonders if Sicy would trust her and pm her with it*

:eek: I did nay no there was a gym @ YMCA wooooow :eek: and thats beside City Hall Clements :D

Ack i need to looose lots o'pounds im fat :)

daisybean said:

hhhmmm I never thought of it that way before. I would never go up to an obese person and say "Hey your too fat lose weight!" Just for the simple fact that it would be rude, I never even considered that saying "Hey you're too skinny," would be just as offensive and rude. However, no one has ever been offended when I said that to them:huh: Since thinness is so accepted in our culture it seems almost like giving a compliment, rather than an insult.

One of my best friends has been skinny her whole life. She's just never been a big eater. And people would ALWAYS say things about it. Sometimes it was the complimentary, "I wish I was as thin as you," but more often than not, it was negative criticism.

to answer U2 Kitten's question about plastic surgery: No, I would never get it. I am proud of my looks, they are unique and are a gift from my parents, grandparents and my ancestors and that is something I never want to change. However, if my health depended on it, than yes, I would do something about it, but to change my appearance to please myself to ultimately please others is wrong. I feel if you are not happy with your physical appearance than there is also something internal that you are unhappy with and that needs to be looked at.

olive, thanks for the support. that ex is thankfully an ex and is long gone!!! :yes:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
to answer U2 Kitten's question about plastic surgery: No, I would never get it. I am proud of my looks, they are unique and are a gift from my parents, grandparents and my ancestors and that is something I never want to change. However, if my health depended on it, than yes, I would do something about it, but to change my appearance to please myself to ultimately please others is wrong. I feel if you are not happy with your physical appearance than there is also something internal that you are unhappy with and that needs to be looked at.

olive, thanks for the support. that ex is thankfully an ex and is long gone!!! :yes:

:up: I agree. There are some people, particularly in the entertainment industry, who just make me shake my head and say, "What were you thinking?" Take Jennfier Grey (Dirty Dancing, Ferris Bueller's Day Off), for example. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with her nose as far as I could tell!

PLEBA always gets me thinking:

Howcome God gave us U2???

and I always come to the same conclusion!!

He wanted to gather the greatest women on earth in one place!

Smart AND Beautiful!!

:love:

daisybean said:

I think I would get a breast reduction. Sometimes I have a hard time finding shirts that fit me right (especially button down shirts). It also makes me uncomfortable when a guy will stare right at my chest when I am talking to him. LOL, I feel like saying "Yo, the sounds you hear are coming from my mouth, not my boobs."

Same here daisy!! It almost gets back to the whole double standard thing in the sense of overweight/skinny etc. It seems like everytime I complain about it, like when my back is killing me after being on my feet at work all day, or like you said try finding shirts that dont make me look ridiculous- more often then not someone says something along the line of "be happy!! " or "share the wealth"! Or I wish I had your problems. It's not easy. I mean, it's not bad all the time either - but I ABSOLUTELY can relate to the whole - "yo buddy, they dont talk" thing. I would definelty get one if there were no risks/cost etc. People (like my boyfriend!) just cant understand why I'm so self conscious about it sometimes.

yeah i agree about this boob thing. i dont get why women PAY to get an F or DD cup sized boobs. it's a real pain in the arse.

i'm a d-cup, and i like my size, but finding a button downed shirt, or a tight v-neck shirt withought looking "cheap" is very hard.

i can just forget about wearing those cute corset type shirts, cos if i wear those, it will look like a "hard core" corset, and my boobs will look like they are fighting for their lives lol

daisybean said:

I think I would get a breast reduction. Sometimes I have a hard time finding shirts that fit me right (especially button down shirts). It also makes me uncomfortable when a guy will stare right at my chest when I am talking to him. LOL, I feel like saying "Yo, the sounds you hear are coming from my mouth, not my boobs."

I'd get one too, if I got old enough and still didn't like my boobs. At 15, it's really too early to judge how I'll feel when I'm older. But at the moment, I hate my chest :madspit:

A recent pic of me. Its small but you get the casic idea. In the first pic I'm on the right. The guy on the left is one of my friend from music camp. The second picture id an SMC (Scarborough Music Camp) tradition.

Attachments

• 4.bmp
    786 KB · Views: 32
madamc said:

i can just forget about wearing those cute corset type shirts, cos if i wear those, it will look like a "hard core" corset, and my boobs will look like they are fighting for their lives lol

LMAO! I have the same problem... If I do wear something revealing, I have to limit my body movements to avoid attracting attention to them... so I just basically can't wear anything like that.

flaming june said:

LMAO! I have the same problem... If I do wear something revealing, I have to limit my body movements to avoid attracting attention to them... so I just basically can't wear anything like that.

I have the same problem! so I dont even try to wear corset shirts anymore.:eeklaugh:

[color=royal blue]1. KKKKKAAAWWWWWWW Lemonboy

2. I think this thread has been pretty interesting o_O I mean you ask this question to 7th graders and everyone will cry. (no offense to any 7th graders, but in my memory that's how things work) I think it's good just to discuss things like this sometimes. BC you know people here have become friends regardless of how we look bc we can't always see how everyone looks online!! Unless they provide a picture. (Is it possible that women judge women on appearance more than men do?) I just think that's cool, is all. :D Cheers to PLEBA.

*PLEBA fuzzies*
[/color]

Mona gives me a great segue (segway? whatever). I KNEW this would touch a nerve. It does with me. I remember not eating lunch for nearly all of 7th grade. My doctor told me I was overweight. I recently lost some weight and am DETERMINED to keep it off. I'm exercising and trying not to eat when I'm not hungry...and that's healthy. But as so many of you said so well, there are SO many more worthwhile things to worry about (like 3rd world poverty :D) and so many more important qualties-- our character, humor, spirit of adventure, confidence, kindness. Someone way at the top of the thread I think used to word "opprssed" to describe women who obsess about this (and I admit I do) and she's right. Not that it's wrong to want to look nice. I admit I enjoyed it when those guys tried to pick me up at the club the other night. (Even if I told 'em off :)) I enjoyed my ex (the one and only ex) asking me how come his English teachers never looked like that. LOL. That's all fine. I just hate feeling jealous. And I knew I wasn't alone. You all are right. This is important to talk about and have in the open.

And every pic I've seen here is HOT! :) I sweare I'm not trying to avoid posting mine, angelfire won't cooperate. *sigh* If ya'll are that curious, I can email it to someone. LOL.

Thanks for a great discussion! Carry on!

Cheryl

PS I ADORE Angelou and Unpretty...how'd you all know?

Stories for Boys said:
kristie~guys are dumb.....they have no real taste......i mean, i've only had 1 boyfriend too, and i don't really think i can even call him that, but that's another story......:huh:

I think we have a lot in common...the above, and the fact that I'm also 6' tall.

And I think I'm fairly pretty, but most guys don't look at me twice. The ones who do turn out to have serious problems. Maybe they think tall skinny girls are scary. I can't say that anyone has ever called me anorexic, but like others have said, it's annoying when people assume you "chose" to be skinny--some of us actually are like that and it's not necessarily a great advantage.

Stories for Boys said:
we're the real "catches" so they'll realize it in a couple o' years, then feel stupid, then we can smack them and say we'd rather be librarians....or.......something.....anyway....guys are just stupid........they don't see REAL beauty when they see it!!

I AM a librarian :lol:
really, in the past year it's not like I couldn't get a guy, it's just that I'm really picky... and a hermit.. hehe :D And like Shannon said, next year the boys WILL be not quite as stupid. High school boys are about the dumbest beings on the earth, next to this dog I'm taking care of.
I meant to say this... I think the reason that people make comments to you skinny chicks I think is in order to raise their self esteem... sort of like how we tend to look at actresses/supermodels/whatnot and find something wrong with them. My mom doesn't like Kim Basinger cos her toes are ugly, so she says. It's mainly because they're envious.
My friend Kim, she's a stick, and we say things/look after her because she IS/was anorexic. I worry about her. I can circle her upper arms with my thumb and forefinger.
that is all
I swear I'm going to kill this dog.
[/second rant]

scatteroflight said:

I think we have a lot in common...the above, and the fact that I'm also 6' tall.

And I think I'm fairly pretty, but most guys don't look at me twice. The ones who do turn out to have serious problems. Maybe they think tall skinny girls are scary. I can't say that anyone has ever called me anorexic, but like others have said, it's annoying when people assume you "chose" to be skinny--some of us actually are like that and it's not necessarily a great advantage.

heh.....i'm not skinny......really......i mean, i'm not fat, but like i said earlier.....i'm meaty :sexywink:.......

i would never ever ever ever have surgery.......i may envy pretty ppl, but god made me look like this for a reason, and i'm content....

the only thing i truly hate about myself is my hight.....truly.....you'll never see me standing up straight......i hate when i'm the tallest one in the room, i hate when i see everyone's bald spots, and i ABSOLUTELY HATE WHEN STRANGERS ASK ME HOW TALL I AM......i mean, it makes me feel really really really really self conscious........so all you people who say you'd like to be tall, i don't consider it a gift......i consider it an annoyance.....

Kristie said:
High school boys are about the dumbest beings on the earth, next to this dog I'm taking care of.
I meant to say this... I think the reason that people make comments to you skinny chicks I think is in order to raise their self esteem...

Dog: Hey, I resent that! (yes, the dog can talk. :tongue: )

I think you're right Kristie about the self esteem, but it's still annoying (to say the least) when people actually yell at you because of your genes.

MonaVox said:
(Is it possible that women judge women on appearance more than men do?)
I think this is true...except for in PLEBA, akorse, cause we're spiffy :D

*strolls in to thread late*

*replies anyway*

Do I think I'm pretty?

uh, I dunno, I mean, I haven't brushed my hair since June 4. YOU decide, LOL! And I think I broke my nose the other day so right now I have this purple line on my face, oops!

I've always considered myself "average". I'm 5'7", average size, brown eyes, sorta brown hair, blah blah blah.... I've always wanted to be shorter, b/c gymnastics is my life, and I've always wanted really dark hair to match my eyes, but other than that, I don't really care. I bike 10-20 miles every other day and that REALLY helps me feel good and energized, it does more for how I feel than how fit I acutally am, I think.

I guess I don't really care. As long as my appearance doesn't interfere w/ my lifestyle, I'm happy. In the summer I wear the same gym shorts, my swim suit, and tank top EVERY day and walk around barefoot, no makeup, same ratty ponytail - who cares? I joost like to feel like ME. Even my sr. piccie (below) I am happy w/ because my mommy took it on our stoopid camera at my most favorite place in the world where I go every summer and I like it b/c it's special to me and my family.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 72
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I In the summer I wear the same gym shorts, my swim suit, and tank top EVERY day and walk around barefoot, no makeup, same ratty ponytail - who cares? I joost like to feel like ME.

Hahaha I do the same thing too, although I alternate the shorts and tank tops for laundry purposes ;). If I'm not working and have no where to go I don't wear makeup and scuff around in my "grubbies."

Livandluvbootlegmusic, did anyone ever tell you that you look like Julia Stiles?

Me, I think I'm pretty enough. I know that I'm not the prettiest person in the world, or the smartest one, or the coolest or funniest one. But knowing that I am pretty, smart, cool, and funny--all at the same time--really helps me out. :) And I think the same of all you ladies, too!

By the way--I'm starting to think that guys who like unhealthily-skinny women (NOT Sicy and her naturally thin sistas) are just fictional. I've known so many guys who have told me that being a little...uh...fleshy is by far preferable. At five feet and 130, this makes me happy. :) I love my big boobs, big hips, and bid ass. I'm a peach.

Attachments

• sweet_pic_of_me.jpg
    sweet_pic_of_me.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 145
ME TOO!

madamc - I read those too! :) (Elle Decor/Met Home/Dwell are my faves! Now I just need my dream house to use all those ideas) I got over the fashion mags looooong ago....even Mode, which is for *ahem* larger women doesn't appeal to me, and More, which is for older women, still uses very thin, tho "older" models. FEH. Away with you all!

Hmm. I think I woulda clobbered him. :mad: I am the biggest person in my family, thanks to my grandmother's genes - yet I have a sister who is in the "so thin people think she's anorexic" category (thanks to our *other* grandmother's genes). You think THAT doesn't blow my mind??? We inherited how we look. Much of it simply can't be helped.

I finally (after 20 years!) found a wonderful doctor, who is treating me for high blood pressure.....he is very caring, and listens to me, and he said something on my last visit that I really needed to hear: "God made the human body in a very interesting way; it has an internal barometer that continues to keep us at what it thinks is a comfortable weight...and no matter how much we gain or lose, we always seems to go back to that particular weight." He's ever ONCE told me to "shape up or shut up" like my last doctor.

No one knows more than ME that I should lose weight....I just don't want my support line (family & friends) jumping all over my back about it. :mad: I'll do it...when I'm good and ready.

p.s. Gina, I've met you and I think you are beautiful! :heart:

paxetaurora said:
Livandluvbootlegmusic, did anyone ever tell you that you look like Julia Stiles?

uh....nope, LOL! do i really?

*searches for better pic*

I have like zero piccies of myself, but this might prove my weirdness :

Attachments

• hehe.jpg
    hehe.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom