Do you know the story of the guy who attacked Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
It was at the Minneapolis show last May. Bono climbed up into the golden circle seats, and some weird guy grabbed him! He got him in a headlock and started pounding him! He yelled he was mad because he had written all the JT songs and U2 never gave him the money! Bono fought back, punched the crazy guy and freed himself! A guy I know who was at the show sent me this pic:

333%3C%3B73523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E232326694%3B455ot1lsi

The weirdo is to the left with glasses. Bono's eyes look so intense!

It's scary to think freaks like that are around. That's why stars are so afraid to get close to fans. Security took the guy away. He was an idiot and I hope he's in jail.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-27-2002).]

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
It was at the Minneapolis show last May. Bono climbed up into the golden circle seats, and some weird guy grabbed him! He got him in a headlock and started pounding him! He yelled he was mad because he had written all the JT songs and U2 never gave him the money! Bono fought back, punched the crazy guy and freed himself! A guy I know who was at the show sent me this pic:

333%3C%3B73523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E232326694%3B455ot1lsi

The weirdo is to the left with glasses. Bono's eyes look so intense!

It's scary to think freaks like that are around. That's why stars are so afraid to get close to fans. Security took the guy away. He was an idiot and I hope he's in jail.

I heard that the guy claimed that they owed him money for writing the Joshua Tree songs. Yeah, right!
mad.gif

Originally posted by Lemon Meringue:
I heard that the guy claimed that they owed him money for writing the Joshua Tree songs. Yeah, right!
mad.gif

Haha... *is laughing, don't ask why*
Seriously, that's scary. o_O

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Uhm.. guys... I was AT that show (it was my first U2 concert), and um, unless I missed something REALLY obvious.. nothing like that happened. Bono talked about a slightly similiar thing (which DID take place at that concert) in an interview -- Bono DID climb up into seats, but when he tried to climb down, the guy grabbed his arm to hold him (he was falling) and Bono screamed at him to let him go, because he didn't understand that the guy was trying to save him from hurting himself. He later apologized.

If I'm getting this completely mixed up, forgive me.
redface.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Uhm.. guys... I was AT that show (it was my first U2 concert), and um, unless I missed something REALLY obvious.. nothing like that happened. Bono talked about a slightly similiar thing (which DID take place at that concert) in an interview -- Bono DID climb up into seats, but when he tried to climb down, the guy grabbed his arm to hold him (he was falling) and Bono screamed at him to let him go, because he didn't understand that the guy was trying to save him from hurting himself. He later apologized.

If I'm getting this completely mixed up, forgive me.
redface.gif

Lemon Meringue was at the show as well. So was I, oh wait...heh...no...I gave those tickets up
mad.gif
That's another story....anyhew...I had heard that also from several friends who went (that he punched someone). Hell, I'd a punched the guy too! But I dunno...

elevated: where do you live? did you travel for the show?

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

Originally posted by Lilly:
Lemon Meringue was at the show as well. So was I, oh wait...heh...no...I gave those tickets up
mad.gif
That's another story....anyhew...I had heard that also from several friends who went (that he punched someone). Hell, I'd a punched the guy too! But I dunno...

elevated: where do you live? did you travel for the show?

Iowa -- yep, traveled about 4 hours
smile.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

When I got my Minneapolis boot it came with a little write-up info thingy which referred to this "situation" among other things. It is back at my desk at work. I'll try to remember to find it on Monday and see what it said. (writes reminder note to self)

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

Originally posted by Lemon Meringue:
When I got my Minneapolis boot it came with a little write-up info thingy which referred to this "situation" among other things. It is back at my desk at work. I'll try to remember to find it on Monday and see what it said. (writes reminder note to self)

Wait, you guys have boots at your place? Coulda fooled me!
wink.gif

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

My friend and his wife were in the GC and saw this go down. There was also a lot about it on the mailing lists just after it happened. I remember one guy said Bono 'bitch slapped the guy' and that it was cool! The ones nearby said he grabbed his head, pulled his hair and got him in a headlock. The pic was taken by a fan behind the incident, and my friend sent it to me and other people. He didn't take it but he knew who did.

Apparently, Bono did apologize to the crowd, because a few other people were trod upon or somehow affected by the scuffle. I remember people on the mailing list u2wire.com saying he had nothing to apologize for, he was defending himself, but it was to the crowd in the area, not the crazy man! Security took the crazed fan away. My friend and his wife witnessed this themselves. Some of the people sitting near him said he had mentioned before the show that he had 'written the JT songs' and they said they thought he was weird, then the attack happened. Sounds of the situation can be heard on the Minneapolis bootleg I think. This is not a rumor, it happened.

------------------
"I've been all over,

My friend and his wife were in the GC and saw this go down. There was also a lot about it on the mailing lists just after it happened. I remember one guy said Bono 'bitch slapped the guy' and that it was cool! The ones nearby said he grabbed his head, pulled his hair and got him in a headlock. The pic was taken by a fan behind the incident, and my friend sent it to me and other people. He didn't take it but he knew who did.

Apparently, Bono did apologize to the crowd, because a few other people were trod upon or somehow affected by the scuffle. I remember people on the mailing list u2wire.com saying he had nothing to apologize for, he was defending himself, but it was to the crowd in the area, not the crazy man! Security took the crazed fan away. My friend and his wife witnessed this themselves. Some of the people sitting near him said he had mentioned before the show that he had 'written the JT songs' and they said they thought he was weird, then the attack happened. Sounds of the situation can be heard on the Minneapolis bootleg I think. This is not a rumor, it happened.

Thanks for the clarification, GypsyHeartgirl. I can't believe I never heard this before -- I guess what the press claimed was false.

------------------

Popheart.org

It's scary to think how Bono really risks his life when he goes into the crowd. In Miami someone spit on him. Somewhere else, I forget, someone threw a heavy object at him. In DC, a girl refused to let go of his hand and bit him. People were always shining laser pointers in his eyes, even though the band requested none be brought. I saw him several times shield his eyes with his arm. Poor baby. I have thought, what if he jumped into the crowd and some idiot had a knife? I wonder that about the Green Bay Packers doing the Lambeau Leap too. They just have to take it on faith the crowd will be fans who love them, are in their right mind and mean them no harm, and if something happens hopefully he can get out of it. Of course everyone grabs him, but out of love! I know I did when I touched him. Let's just hope most fans will do that and he will be safe!

------------------
"I've been all over,

It's scary to think how Bono really risks his life when he goes into the crowd. In Miami someone spit on him. Somewhere else, I forget, someone threw a heavy object at him. In DC, a girl refused to let go of his hand and bit him. People were always shining laser pointers in his eyes, even though the band requested none be brought. I saw him several times shield his eyes with his arm. Poor baby. I have thought, what if he jumped into the crowd and some idiot had a knife? I wonder that about the Green Bay Packers doing the Lambeau Leap too. They just have to take it on faith the crowd will be fans who love them, are in their right mind and mean them no harm, and if something happens hopefully he can get out of it. Of course everyone grabs him, but out of love! I know I did when I touched him. Let's just hope most fans will do that and he will be safe!

This scares me when I think about it, too. Evidence of stupid fans is right on tape -- on the Boston DVD, that one guy threw an aluminum (beer?) can at Bono, during Sunday Bloody Sunday's intro, and he narrowly missed hitting him.
frown.gif
And the Popmart tape was cut short because of a scene where a guy shone a laser pen at Bono and Bono gave him the finger or something. I also remember someone also confessing that their friend threw an apple at Bono during a concert, too.
rolleyes.gif

------------------

Popheart.org

Thanks for the clarification, GypsyHeartgirl. I can't believe I never heard this before -- I guess what the press claimed was false.

I believe the fans because they saw it. There's a write-up on it on the bootleg CD cover. It's not surprising not everyone saw what happened. It's a big arena. Not everyone can see and hear everything.

------------------
"I've been all over,

I didn't do it! It was the old guy in the pic! All I did was grab his leg, honest! It wasn't even the same show!

------------------
"I've been all over,

I didn't do it! It was the old guy in the pic! All I did was grab his leg, honest! It wasn't even the same show!

I think she was mentally yelling at the guy who did it, not you.
smile.gif

------------------

Popheart.org

I think she was mentally yelling at the guy who did it, not you.
smile.gif

That's what I thought. Well I hoped so! I was half joking, but just in case, you know!
wink.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,

Originally posted by elizabeth:
why why why why why would you ever do anything like that???

why why why why why why????

*frustration!!!!*

I totally agree with you. I can't understand why people want to hurt each other in the first place.

frown.gif

------------------
Daisy
I wasn't jumping for me it was a fall. It's a long way down to nothing at all

The Mouth Moves in Mysterious Ways

AIM:daisyone75

I found a copy of our boot here at home too. here is what it says:

"During Mysteriouos Ways, Bono jumped into the audience then a strange man, who claimed - get this delusion - that he wasn't paid for writing The Joshua Tree, kept yanking his hair. Bono fended off the attack with an open hand strike. Bono later apologized for the scuffle."

You can tell that something is going on when listening to the show because Bono's singing gets interrupted and then you can hear him apologize. I think I heard that the guy had glasses and Bono actually knocked them off the guy.

There are some strange people in this world!

That's it, thanks for posting that! You can see the guy's glasses in the pic above. Even if he did get them knocked off, Bono did what he had to do. You don't mess with Bono. I'm glad Bono was able to defend himself.

------------------
"I've been all over,

This scares me when I think about it, too. Evidence of stupid fans is right on tape -- on the Boston DVD, that one guy threw an aluminum (beer?) can at Bono, during Sunday Bloody Sunday's intro, and he narrowly missed hitting him.
frown.gif

Bono dodges it so suavely though! His amazing rock star reflexes save him again...
wink.gif

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
Success is not about how much money you have, the size of your house, or who you know. It's all about how cool your pants are.

uh...i'll guard (read: defile) the body of any member *giggle* of u2...

------------------
love is blindness
i don't want to see
won't you wrap the night around me
o my heart
love is blindness

Back
Top Bottom