Do you get teased?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstlove

The Fly
Do your friends/relatives tease you about your U2/Bono obsession? my friends especially make fun of the fact that Bono's hairline is receding (say it aint so!), and how I still think he's sexy even though it is. anyone else get teased?

They used to, but I have a friend who goes on about Larry all the time now, so they've kind of diverted the attention to her :yes:
My Dad still teases me - calls them names, calls me names - but it's all in good spirit!

firstlove said:
Do your friends/relatives tease you about your U2/Bono obsession? my friends especially make fun of the fact that Bono's hairline is receding (say it aint so!), and how I still think he's sexy even though it is. anyone else get teased?

My mom thinks I'm obsessed with U2... :lol:

I do like to talk about them but I'm not a nutjob! ;)

My husband and I have an agreement. I don't go on about U2 and he doesn't mention his "thing" for Nicole Kidman.

Oh, yes, constantly-not so much the other members of U2, just Bono in particular. They particularly love making fun of the mullet Bono had. And my mom's made fun of Bono's dancing attempts (but that's okay, 'cause I've poked fun at it, too. Love ya, Bono, but let's face it, you cannot dance). But it's all in fun-they still think he's a cool guy and all that :).

I've also been teased by some of my friends for liking somebody who's 20+ years older than me, but again, that's all in fun (and hey, they don't have much room to be talking anyway, 'cause some of the guys they like aren't anywhere near their ages :p).

Angela

Last edited:
My sister used to...until I converted her to the glory that is Larry Mullen, Jr. :wink: Now she doesn't tease me about my Bono fixation, and I send her the hottest pictures of Larry I can find. It works out nicely. :D

miss becky said:
My sister used to...until I converted her to the glory that is Larry Mullen, Jr. :wink: Now she doesn't tease me about my Bono fixation, and I send her the hottest pictures of Larry I can find. It works out nicely. :D

Haha, yeah, my sister thinks Larry's the best looking one out of the group, too. She always says his name in a goofy way every time she sees him on TV-it's kinda hard to show how it sounds on here, but the closest I can come to explaining it is that she says it like, "Larreh". She loves the video for "Electrical Storm"-no real surprise as to why :p.

I think my mom's developed a bit of a thing for Bono, now-she's admitted to me that he's been looking particularly good as of late :).

Angela

Yes, some of my friends do! Not so much now, but it was stronger when I was younger. Everyone who is not a fan of U2 seems to have the wrong idea about them. I lost a lot of time with people and their stupid ideas on U2. I don't get so upset anymore I just let it go and mind my own business. It's hard to fight ignorance!

TheBrazilianFly said:
Yes, some of my friends do! Not so much now, but it was stronger when I was younger. Everyone who is not a fan of U2 seems to have the wrong idea about them. I lost a lot of time with people and their stupid ideas on U2. I don't get so upset anymore I just let it go and mind my own business. It's hard to fight ignorance!
:hug: You're right about people having the wrong idea about them. People just don't knwo what's good for 'em :wink:

But today, I was talkin about green day, and my freind (I don't even know if I should call these people my friends anymore.. but I don't know what else to call them lol) asked me how can I like green day when i like stupid bands like U2, Oasis and "that really old band i like" aka The Who. I said "I like more bands than just those 3, for instance there's one called The Beatles." and then I named off some more...
But let me just say somethin, I do NOT tolerate people describing The Who that way... EVER! I bitched her out for it :madspit: I'm one dang huge fan of the who, and I may not show it much... but I wont take people dissing 'em.

OMG! Gotta tell this lol. There's this one senior kid that gos to my school and he has a Who shirt :D and whenever he wears it I yell down the hall at him "I love your shirt man!" and motion peace sign at him :D I don't even know his name though lmao!

Wow, I'll shut up now :uhoh:

TheWho4Life said:
But today, I was talkin about green day, and my freind (I don't even know if I should call these people my friends anymore.. but I don't know what else to call them lol) asked me how can I like green day when i like stupid bands like U2, Oasis and "that really old band i like" aka The Who.

Oh, that's happened to me before. I remember one time we had this thing where people were listening 20 bands that they liked, and I did just that, and this one person, whom I never even really talked to up until that point, starts saying something along the lines of, "Wow, your list should really be titled 'Person who is too stuck in the past listening to old, worn-out, has been artists and who is afraid to listen to any new stuff because it's somehow not as good as the old stuff'". I went off on a bit of a rant at that person, stating that some of those artists, such as U2, are still around today making music and are far from has-beens, and I also said that I did like some newer music, too, that I didn't give a damn what era a particular song/artist was from, if it sounded good to me, that's all that would matter. Looking back now, though, I could've saved my breath and time and just simply said, "Tell me again why exactly you give a care whether or not I listen to old or new music? 'Cause I don't recall asking for your opinions on it." (and we weren't supposed to give opinions on other people's lists, we weren't supposed to bash them or anything, that was the rule of the game).

Yeah. It's a bit annoying. I don't sit there and bash other people's musical tastes-make the occasional good-natured joke here and there, but nothing rude-so why some people feel the need to comment on mine, I have no clue.

Originally posted by TheWho4Life
OMG! Gotta tell this lol. There's this one senior kid that gos to my school and he has a Who shirt :D and whenever he wears it I yell down the hall at him "I love your shirt man!" and motion peace sign at him :D I don't even know his name though lmao!

Hehe, I remember once I was at a school dance, and a couple of kids were there doing the DJing for the dance, and one of them was wearing an ATYCLB T-shirt. I went up to him and said I liked the shirt, and requested a U2 song (they didn't get around to actually playing it, though :(). I didn't know him all that well, either.

Ah, the things people will do to celebrate their love for their favorite band...

Angela

Last edited:
u2radioheadgrrl said:
I get teased all the time by my friends. They tell me Bono looks like Robin Williams.
THEY COULD COME UP WITH SOMETHIN BETTER! Robbin Williams is AWSOME! They don't need to be bringing him into the picture! :madspit:

Moonlit_Angel said:

Oh, that's happened to me before. I remember one time we had this thing where people were listening 20 bands that they liked, and I did just that, and this one person, whom I never even really talked to up until that point, starts saying something along the lines of, "Wow, your list should really be titled 'Person who is too stuck in the past listening to old, worn-out, has been artists and who is afraid to listen to any new stuff because it's somehow not as good as the old stuff'". I went off on a bit of a rant at that person, stating that some of those artists, such as U2, are still around today making music and are far from has-beens, and I also said that I did like some newer music, too, that I didn't give a damn what era a particular song/artist was from, if it sounded good to me, that's all that would matter. Looking back now, though, I could've saved my breath and time and just simply said, "Tell me again why exactly you give a care whether or not I listen to old or new music? 'Cause I don't recall asking for your opinions on it." (and we weren't supposed to give opinions on other people's lists, we weren't supposed to bash them or anything, that was the rule of the game).

Yeah. It's a bit annoying. I don't sit there and bash other people's musical tastes-make the occasional good-natured joke here and there, but nothing rude-so why some people feel the need to comment on mine, I have no clue.

Hehe, I remember once I was at a school dance, and a couple of kids were there doing the DJing for the dance, and one of them was wearing an ATYCLB T-shirt. I went up to him and said I liked the shirt, and requested a U2 song (they didn't get around to actually playing it, though :(). I didn't know him all that well, either.

Ah, the things people will do to celebrate their love for their favorite band...

Angela

Yea I cant really remember a time I actually dissed somebody's music right to thier face... hhhmm lets see... that's probably cause if I did do it I would feel horrible! I can't see how people can diss other's music tastes... its so pointless to do. So laimo *sigh*

Jeeze I've been teased about my music since middle school lol. I like Backstreet Boys then :love: AndI remember I didnt have a lock on my locker and somebody got in it and tore my Brian picture and half that was hangin in there :( I cried :sad: And I aint denying that Brian is still hott :D and that pic was GORGEOUS! I taped it up and kept it for a long time and then not too long ago all my bsb stuff dissapeared *TEAR* I probably threw it all away one night when I was mad and not thinkin right... I used to just through things away when i was mad or sad... stupid me

My family's compared Bono to Robin, before, too. And in a way I can kinda see the resembelance-I remember there was a picture in PLEBA one time where Bono looked so much like Robin, it was freaky.

TheWho4Life said:
Yea I cant really remember a time I actually dissed somebody's music right to thier face... hhhmm lets see... that's probably cause if I did do it I would feel horrible! I can't see how people can diss other's music tastes... its so pointless to do. So laimo *sigh*

It is. It's happening right now with punk and rap music, too, rap in particular. I've lost count of how many times I've heard kids say that it doesn't take any talent to rap or punk is just a bunch of kids screaming, and this music's stupid or that music's stupid. And then of course there's the constant remarks about the teenybopper groups, too. And I see discussions like this taking place EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's like, geez, people, don't you have better things to be doing with your time? Why can't everybody just be allowed to listen to whatever music makes them happy, and leave each other alone about our music tastes? We have so much more to worry about in the world than whether or not liking Britney Spears' music is cool. It is indeed lame, this music snobbery thing, and I'm just sick to death of it. Especially when you consider that, for the most part, the musicians themselves don't seem to be bound by this same attitude. That's one reason (out of many) why I like Bono-he doesn't give a damn what genre of music someone he meets does, he'll hang out with them regardless, and he'll always find something positive to say about them as a person at least, even if he doesn't personally care for the music.

Whew. Okay. Rant done. I feel better now :).

Originally posted by TheWho4Life
Jeeze I've been teased about my music since middle school lol. I like Backstreet Boys then :love: AndI remember I didnt have a lock on my locker and somebody got in it and tore my Brian picture and half that was hangin in there :( I cried :sad: And I aint denying that Brian is still hott :D and that pic was GORGEOUS! I taped it up and kept it for a long time and then not too long ago all my bsb stuff dissapeared *TEAR* I probably threw it all away one night when I was mad and not thinkin right... I used to just through things away when i was mad or sad... stupid me

Aw, that's really crummy that someone came in and did that :( :hug:. I used to be into that group, too-I tore out the occasional picture from magazines and stuff (you liked Brian? I liked Kevin :p), but god knows where that stuff is now-so I really don't feel I have much room to be poking fun at people who like teenybopper artists nowadays, 'cause I was just like them back when I was in my early teens (hell, I liked the Spice Girls, okay, that's pretty teenybopperish right there).

Angela

Most of the time my friends are cool with it. They know I'm head over heals for them.

I'm a major Edge fan:drool: And once in awhile they'd harsh make fun of me for liking a 40 year old.....Grrrr:madspit:

By the way....my first impression of Bono was Robbin Williams look alike LOL :wink:

I got dubbed the moniker "Psycho" because of my obsession in high school. I got all the CD's, and posted all the pics in my locker, binder, and bedroom. I spoke of U2 frequently and people just got sick of it and some were 'disturbed' that I knew of Bono's private life so well. I guess it's disturbing and "psycho" to be a hardcore fan.
My family and friends, on the other hand, teased me but it was in a respectable way.
People still call me crazy, which kinda bothers me sometimes (depends on the way it is used) but it reflects my adventurous, wild, and untameable personality, rather than my obsession with U2.

xtal said:
I got dubbed the moniker "Psycho" because of my obsession in high school. I got all the CD's, and posted all the pics in my locker, binder, and bedroom. I spoke of U2 frequently and people just got sick of it and some were 'disturbed' that I knew of Bono's private life so well. I guess it's disturbing and "psycho" to be a hardcore fan.

LOL. I remember I had a friend in high school who liked U2, too, just not nearly to the extent I did.

So one day in May 2003, we're having this senior activity day, a day to just kinda hang out and do some fun stuff and all that, celebrate nearing the end of our high school career. I bring some CDs with me (all U2, of course), and my friend comes over and happens to notice what's in my bag.

I think I might've scared him a bit-he didn't say anything, but I suddenly got this feeling that he was thinking something along the lines of, "O-kay, you are obsessed, woman..." :p.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom