Do you believe in love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you believe in love?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No.

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I don't.

Love hurts. I'm still not over the breakup of my girlfriend three months and two days ago. Either love hurts or the thing that you call 'love' is just a pain in the ass - but I don't think there is even a feeling called love, but it's just a passing emotion, same as when you think you are sleepy but when you go to bed you lie awake for hours or when you think you want chocolate but the moment you touch it and it gets sticky under your fingertips you wonder why you wanted it in the first place. Chocolate dwarfs melting in the sun. Dreams vanishing into thin air. Nothing lasts forever. Or like Gavin had sung once upon a time...'our love will last forever - until the day it dies'.

What about you? :)

I've had some bad luck with men. I dated a real :censored:hole. We broke up. If we hadn't I would have become an abused woman. It was ugly. But it doesn't have to be that way.

verte76 said:
I've had some bad luck with men. I dated a real :censored:hole. We broke up. If we hadn't I would have become an abused woman. It was ugly. But it doesn't have to be that way.

I'm glad you're out of that :up: ...

I don't know... sometimes I don't believe in love... I'm in a weird relationship now

21 years ago I wasn't looking for love.. wasn't particularly interested in love I was feeling quite self sufficent and happy, then one evening due to persuasion of my friends I agreed to let this guy called sammy leave me home, Sammy was the local DJ.. use to do the discos for the local youthclub ect I went to

He and a bit crazy, harmless but nuts.. I mean I would run across the other side of the road to avoide him.. cos he use to chase girls and grab them messing about.. don't ask me what made me agree to let him walk me home that night, I was 18 and he was 26.. there were a hundred reasons why it wouldnt work out.. but to cut a long story short I fell in love with him a year later I married him.. and 21 years and three kids on.. we are still crazy mad in love with each other.. even more now than we were at the beginning... don't ask me to explain it cos I can't I don't know where these feelings of love come from I just know they are there we are really sickening.. we always tell each other I love you, we still hold hands when we go out... cuddle on the sofa ....lie in bed and can talk and laugh hours.. till our kids tell us to shut up cos they need to get some sleep ... and we have occasionally smooched in our living room to U2 songs
so I guess if two people are really right for each other and want to be together more than anything else and don't let anything get in the way.. Love can work

Yes I believe in love....but not like romeo and juliette....I don't believe in love at first sight, but I do believe in the fairytale romance, it just takes a lot of work on both ends,it's something you both have to want.

After 8 years together with my husband I am more in love with him now than I was when I first fell in love with him. He is my best friend in the whole world! I still have a huge crush on him, we still hold hands, and makeout like teenagers, and say I love you to each other at least 10 times a day. He still gives me butterflies in the pit of my stomach. He is the love of my life!

:hug:s to those who have been in crappy relationships, and :up: to those whose relationships are going strong.

I know it can be hard sometimes to believe in love when you look at all the relationships in this world falling apart and everything. But...I dunno...I personally still do believe in it. I think there's somebody out there for each and every person, and even if you don't find your romantic soulmate, I believe you can find a friend soulmate, if that makes any sense. And as pointed out, if both people work at it, they can have a beautiful, long-lasting relationship.

Heh, all this from a girl who's only had one boyfriend in her entire life, and is single at this moment and time...:slant:...

Angela

2 votes for no, must be me and FS :hug:

Sorry I had to vote no. Maybe because my marriage turned out sour. Maybe because everyone I see isn't happy, in real life, on TV, even stars, and real people yelling and going to counseling and getting divorced. I think there is something to it but it never lasts. Maybe for Bono and Ali and a few others but not most.:grumpy:

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
:hug:s to those who have been in crappy relationships, and :up: to those whose relationships are going strong.

I know it can be hard sometimes to believe in love when you look at all the relationships in this world falling apart and everything. But...I dunno...I personally still do believe in it. I think there's somebody out there for each and every person, and even if you don't find your romantic soulmate, I believe you can find a friend soulmate, if that makes any sense. And as pointed out, if both people work at it, they can have a beautiful, long-lasting relationship.

Actually, it makes alot of sense to me :) - even if you don't have romantic love in your life, there are other forms of love - love for your family, kids, friends and pets (yes, I think pets count too :) )

As for me, I don't think I've ever been really romantically in love yet . . . but I do believe it's possible :yes:

Yes, why not? There is love of many kinds, I love music and is a deep love, also exists the possibility of finding someone special... maybe

kellyahern, yeah, pets definitely count, I agree. :yes:. Glad we're on the same page with that.

U2Kitten said:
2 votes for no, must be me and FS :hug:

Sorry I had to vote no. Maybe because my marriage turned out sour. Maybe because everyone I see isn't happy, in real life, on TV, even stars, and real people yelling and going to counseling and getting divorced. I think there is something to it but it never lasts. Maybe for Bono and Ali and a few others but not most.:grumpy:

:( :hug:.

Well, hey, as I said earlier, there's many kinds of love out there, and for what it's worth, I'd put you in the friendship love category. :).

Angela

...I voted earlier today and never replied. Whoops.

Anyway, yes, I believe in love, but not love at first sight. Also, no love is perfect... no two people are perfectly compatible, I think. I also think life would be awfully boring if everything went exactly how you want it to.
Of course, I'm only a year into my first real relationship, but I know that I'm happier than I've ever been. Maybe that counts for something :)

Of course I believe in love. Love doesn't just refer to being in love with a significant other. I love my family. I love my friends. Without their love, I'd literally be dead.

Moonlit_Angel said:
kellyahern, yeah, pets definitely count, I agree. :yes:. Glad we're on the same page with that.

:( :hug:.

Well, hey, as I said earlier, there's many kinds of love out there, and for what it's worth, I'd put you in the friendship love category. :).

Angela

Right, friends and pets count as love too :)

Wow, Kitty and me. :sigh:

:hug:s to everyone, it makes sense what you said....nice to think that there is a significant other somewhere on the world for you.

I answered yes. I believe in a religion that is based on love. I think of love as God's manifestation in creation as a way we can relate. Without God, there would be nothing and without love, there is no purpose to be a part of His creation.

Sometimes I don't, only because I've seen so few examples of true [romantic] love around me. But I try to tell myself only because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right? :shrug: Anyhoo, until I find it, I think I have more than enough love around me from family and friends and God who created me and loves me unconditionally.

I believe in love.

I was in my 20's and thought I was never going to fall in love. It all changed when I met Mr fah. We've been together almost 16 years and I am so in love with him and he with me. :heart:

He loves me, respects me, honours me, trusts me and laughs at my jokes (which aren't always funny).

Moonlit_Angel said:

Heh, all this from a girl who's only had one boyfriend in her entire life, and is single at this moment and time...:slant:...

Angela

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I answered yes. I believe in a religion that is based on love. I think of love as God's manifestation in creation as a way we can relate. Without God, there would be nothing and without love, there is no purpose to be a part of His creation.

You gals said it :yes: I agree with you 100%

Haven't got much to add, except for this from 1. Corinthians, 13:

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love

Yes.
Love in all its forms: family, friends, faith, pets, rock bands.. :)
and i believe in love at first site- it happened to me. i believe love is strong enough to dwarf mountains and make oceans seem like puddles. love isn't always easy or pretty, but i believe in it. :heart:

I believe love can die, or be killed. It can freeze to death in the coldness of heartlessness, lack of caring, rejection, and apathy. My love was very strong, but the flame is gone. First my husband, then my family. When I think of them even in memories now I feel nothing, like they are actors in a show I watch but can't touch them or relate to them and they have no warmth for me. I wasn't good enough for them. So it's not good enough for me. And love hurts too much to want to feel it anymore. I honestly look forward to the time when I can be alone, just me and my cats. They are the only ones in my real life who show me affection. I know they love me. When I drive up, my big black and white cat is lying in the driveway, or by the rose bush waiting for me. He comes up to me and purrs and rubs on me. He'd miss me if I never came back. Inside it's the same thing with Bono. I am an emotionally scarred person, and nothing is going to help that. I had a lot of love in me, I felt so much, and no one wanted it or cared or felt I was worthy of them. I can now only hope for peace, somewhere.

Oh and yes I know God loves me but hey, he loves everybody. He has to, it's his job.

FS you are too young to give up. Something good might still happen:hug:

Last edited:
I do.....really......maybe not for myself but I see a lot of happy people in love all the time.....

And as someone here said love doesn't have to focus on a person....

Yep I definitely believe in love. Before there were times I thought I was in love but it was merely infatuation until I found my man on PLEBA :D Now I know what love feels like and it's wonderful :D

U2Kitten said:
I believe love can die, or be killed. It can freeze to death in the coldness of heartlessness, lack of caring, rejection, and apathy. My love was very strong, but the flame is gone. First my husband, then my family. When I think of them even in memories now I feel nothing, like they are actors in a show I watch but can't touch them or relate to them and they have no warmth for me. I wasn't good enough for them. So it's not good enough for me. And love hurts too much to want to feel it anymore. I honestly look forward to the time when I can be alone, just me and my cats. They are the only ones in my real life who show me affection. I know they love me. When I drive up, my big black and white cat is lying in the driveway, or by the rose bush waiting for me. He comes up to me and purrs and rubs on me. He'd miss me if I never came back. Inside it's the same thing with Bono. I am an emotionally scarred person, and nothing is going to help that. I had a lot of love in me, I felt so much, and no one wanted it or cared or felt I was worthy of them. I can now only hope for peace, somewhere.

Oh and yes I know God loves me but hey, he loves everybody. He has to, it's his job.

FS you are too young to give up. Something good might still happen:hug:
:(

I'm so incredibly sorry, Kitty...:sad:

:hug:

Thanks FS and Angela :hug: :hug:

I shouldn't have posted that. :uhoh: I get down a lot. I didn't mean to bring anybody down. I wish you all love, I really do.

U2Kitten said:
Thanks FS and Angela :hug: :hug:

You're welcome. :hug: :).

Originally posted by U2Kitten
I shouldn't have posted that. :uhoh: I get down a lot. I didn't mean to bring anybody down. I wish you all love, I really do.

No, don't worry, it's okay...it helps to understand why you picked the option you did in this thread, anyway. Besides, this is an area where we can vent as well as share happy things, so feel free to let out all the stuff that's bugging you. It's a good thing to just let it all out.

I hope that things work out for you, also. I hope things get better for you.

since i think this thread was intended to be about romantic love, i'll comment on that.

i voted yes, but i don't believe there is only one person for each person, you know? i mean, i think 90% of "love" is commitment, tolerance, and compromise...and the other 10% is the passion side.

personally, i've never been "in love" but this is my wisdom from my friends' experiences.

Back
Top Bottom