David Bowie hit badly by a fan's present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though I'm not sure I believe the fly out of the hand part (must wait for Merc :hyper: ) I was right on my gut feeling of this that the fan was female and did not intend any harm. But again, throwing things is always risky :yikes:

kellyahern said:

You're going to keep us in suspense, you're learning from Emilie :lol: :hug:

:lol: Sorry about that - but I had to go in to the university, 'cause we're planning a tour to... Dublin :shifty:

Anyways - I'll start with the first article and then translate the interview with the woman afterwards... Here we go:

Injured by love...

KariBowi2.jpg

HIT: Someone threw a "Love on a stick" (lollipop) with great force in Bowies direction. The stick penetrated the left eye between the eyelid and the eye.

Bowie7.jpg

ONE EYE: When he was 13 years old, Bowie damaged his left eye in a fight in the school yard. He was fighting with his friend Frank Underwood, when Franks ring cut his eye.

Bowie2.jpg

DRAWING OUT THE STICK: A man from Bowies management ran onto the stage to examine him. It looks like he drew the stick out of his eye.

Bowie1.jpg

THE WEAPON: The man from management looks in disbelief at the lollipop while Bowie, in great pain, is holding his hand infront of his eye.

Here David Bowie got hit - by "Love on a stick" (lollipop). The horrible incident happend right after Bowie started his concert at "Norwegian Wood" around 8pm last night.
Had the mob behind the misdeed hit Bowies right eye and not the left, the popking would have been blind today. Bowie has a very weak sight on his left eye - the one that was hit last night - efter an incident in the school yard when he was 13 years old in 1961. It was obviously this that concerned Bowie, when he yelled in rage in the direction of the offender: I've only got one eye you damn idiot. Luckly you hit the right one!
A chocked Bowie stood and twisted in pain for several minutes, while yelling in the worst abusive english language in the direction of the unknown offender.
The throw was so hard it must have been the offenders intention to hit Bowie. And the hit was scaringly precise. The stick penetrated in between the eye and the eyellid. This is how "Dagbladet" experienced the dramatic incident that occured while David Bowie was finishing the third song "Battle" and the bandmembers was starting the fourth song "Cactus": All of the sudden Bowie turns his entire upper body to the right, bends over and have no chance of finishing the song. Then it is obvious for all 7000 fans that something is very wrong. With his back against the audience Bowie walks toward the stage exit. A man from Bowies management runs over to the star. It looks like the concert is over. The audience starts to whistle and shout in disgrace of whats just happend. The man from management stays with Bowie and examine his eye. Then he looks like has made up his mind, he grabs the stick and draw it out. The pop-ikon shakes in pain. With disbelief in his eyes the management man looks at the red "Love on a stick" while Bowie turns around to face the audience. He walks towards the edge of the stage and the pain releases quite a few abusive words: You fucking wanker! You little fucker! is just a few of the words Bowie says towards the area the the lollipop must have been thrown from. This starts a several minutes long abusive talk, but then Bowie suddenly says: Oh, so you're sneaking away in the crowd, you fucking little bastard. But I'll find you! Then Bowie starts to realise what could have happend: I've just got one eye, you know! You fucking idiot! Luckly you hit the bad eye. You just made it even more decorative then it already was! Bowie regains strength and is still yelling to the offender, who he still doesn't know, in the crowd: Keep your passion to yourself! This only means one thing, you little bastard. That we have to expand the concert and make it even longer. The crowd is chearing and Bowie wants to get back at the offender. He refuses to give in: I'll play a Pixies song instead of the one I'd planned. Thats your punishment . You've deserved it, you fucker! Then the song starts and the concert doesn't end untill two hours later.
No one in Bowiea mamagement or anyone from the record company Sony would comment the incident yesterday evening

It's getting late here (almost 11pm), but I'll be back with the rest of the story tomorrow, I promise!
Sorry for keping you wating... :D

Thanks Merc, you rule!! :applaud: That was one crazy concert. I can't blame Bowie for getting so pissed. Call me a pussy or something but I don't know if I would have continued, I would have gone straight to the hospital to check the eye plus I would be so mad I wouldn?t want to finish the thing. But I think it's cool that he went on with the show.

This is for Bowie ---> :applaud: :hug:

Many performers follow the adage "the show must go on". Though to be fair, I would not have blamed Bowie if he'd postponed the show to get his eye examined. I hope he did go see a doctor after the show; even though it is his poor eye, it could get infected and cause a lot of problems and pain. :yikes:

A big :hug: and :applaud: for David Bowie; he's a real trooper! :)

TheBrazilianFly said:
Thanks Merc, you rule!! :applaud:

Oh, you're welcome! BTW, I want to apologise for any grammar-errors or things like that - had to do it a little bit fast yesterday... :D

Okay - so I'll continue the story with the article about the woman who caused the incident - here we go:

lordag10.jpg

UNLUCKY: "I've been a Bowie-fan since I was 12 years old. I've seen him live eight times. Standing there and crying as he sang his songs. There's absolutely no artist I tresure more." tells the woman who had the lollipop that hit Bowie.

This is the story about the woman who hit David Bowie with a "Love on a stick" (lollipop). She claims that a hard push from behind caused the incident during the "Norwegian Wodd"-concert friday night.

"I just froze. First everything was totally quiet. I'm serious - you could hear a pin fall to the ground when Bowie bend over and held his hand over his eye. Then people around me got furious. I heard several people shout: 'Who the hell threw that?' Then Bowie started shouting at me and calling me 'fucking asshole' and worse things. I wanted to raise my hand and say 'I did it, but I didn't mean to'. But I didn't dare. I thought I was going to be lynched." the woman told "Dagbladet"

"If I'd said anything I'd been beaten up. So I just stood there, petrified, in the middle of the crowd. I stood like that for half an hour and didn't dare to move."

Her brother stood right next to her, very close to the stage, just 3-4 meters away from David Bowie. The brother felt the same feeling of hate and lynching: "When I saw Bowie bend over, while he held his hand to his eye I thought 'The concert is over now. The guards are comming now and hell is going to break loose'. I've never felt so much intense and strong hate before. People were crazy about finding the offender - it was pure evil. Then the bigbrother inside me woke up. I stood when ready to fight, ready to defend my sister.

The woman and her brother met "Dagbladet" yesterday evening, a day after the drama. The woman is still terrified. She can't eat or sleep and is feeling sick. "Today my son asked me 'Mama, will the police come and arrest you now?'" she tells.

The woman, who is in her 30's, keep seeing the incident for her inner eye all the time.
"Its like a slow-motion film, that repeats itself over and over again. I see the lollipop flying out of my hand and forward, right towards David Bowie. Slowly, slowly - but in reality so fast. Just before the "bullet" hits Bowie turns his head a little bit. That is extreme unluck. I see the stick hitting his eyes"

- What did you think then?

- I felt so guilty. It wnet completely quiet. I felt like everyone around me stepped away and was looking at me. Like I was standing all alone. It was absurd.

- And how was it when Bowie yelled at you from the stage?

- I guess, that was the worst part. I've been a Bowie fan since I was 12 years old. I've seen him live eight times. Standing there and crying as he sang his songs. There's absolutely no artist I tresure more.

- What did actually happen?

- We were dancing to the music. Bowie and finishing song number three. In the pocket of my raincoat I suddenly felt a lollipop. I pulled it up, held it between two fingers while I - like everyone else - raised my hands high to applaud Bowie.
In the same moment I someone is pushing me from behind. I get hit hard on my arm and the lollipop fly out of my hand and directly towards Bowie. Its extremel unluck. I can't understand it. I tell the guards infront of the stage 'I did it, but I didn't ment to do it'. S? the guards knew. And they understood the woman claims.

- And it could have been worse. You could have hit Bowies right eye - his only good eye, the brother says.

- Then I would have ruined his life, the sister admits.

The brother tried to find out who pushed his sister and caused the accident.

- It was a big man. He must have ran away, the brother says.

- An eyewitnes claims that you threw the lolllipop and that you aimed at Bowie. You were supposed to thave said, befor you threw, that the lollipop was a present from your son?

- None of this true. It was a plain unluck. The lollipop was laying in my pocket before the concert. And I didn't threw on purpose.

The brother and sister are so big fans of Bowie that they flew to Bergen (second largest city in Norway) thursday and saw his concert there. then they flew back in time to see him in Oslo.

- It turned out to be a fantastic concert - maybe his best in Norway ever - but I couldn't be that happy about it.

The woman ends the story with telling how ironic fait can be:

- Two or three songs after the accident, Bowie throws his plectre out to the crowd. Then he yells, sarcastic: 'Oops, I hope I didn't hit you in the eye. I guess I have to go and hide behind my five bandmembers now!'

- And guess who raised her hand and grabbed the plectra? the woman asks...

Thanks Merc! :up:

So she got the pic?

I do believe her that she did not mean to hurt him, I thought that all along. But I do believe she threw it. I don't believe her hit from behind, big guy ran away story. I think she made that up, afraid of being arrested or sued.

I'd be pissed if a damn *stick* got in my eye, too......I'll bet that hurt. The fan didn't mean to do anything wrong, it seems. But one should never throw anything on a stage with someone on it, flying objects can pick up force and cause all sorts of problems.
*grossed out at the thought of a sharp object in my eye*

I wouldn't have accused the women like you did...it was really stupid and a bad bad accident, but I imagined what had happened if I had throw it accidently - just think about it. Even IF you want to throw it at him, you would never have the luck to hit him, let alone hit his eye. It was major bad luck for him, but it's no reason for saying things like that....and wanting her arrested. Of course Bowie reacted like taht, I would have as well, but if you think mature about it it's wrong. *cuddles him*

Kitty, my gig is in Vienna. :) Today in one week it will already be over. :sigh:

I never wanted her arrested, I always thought it was a girl and she didn't mean to hurt him, I only said she probably did lie about being accidently bumped because she was afraid of being arrested. I feel sorry for her and Bowie. But it's like my teacher always said, don't throw stuff around, you might poke out somebody's eye!

Have fun at that Vienna gig, and give us a report! :wave:

I wasn't aiming at you, kitty. ;) But your teacher really was right! :lmao:

Thanks. :) I'll post pics then and give a report if you want it. :happy:

FallingStar said:

Thanks. :) I'll post pics then and give a report if you want it. :happy:

{So it turns out it really was such a freak accident, but mutliply the amount of people and things thrown, there is such a higher rate of a freak accident happening, that it just shoulden't be done. My goodness, I'd have felt SO SO #bad#, if I'd been the one doing such a thing with no malace in my heart, just concert engery, love & fun}

Yes, FS please give us a report. Have a great time! :D :dance: :dance: {to the musuc!}

:ohmy: If the chick had a lollypop shouldn't it had been in her mouth? Just something to think about. I realize it had just, by chance, been found in her pocket but it just sounds to unbelievable.

"Today my son asked me 'Mama, will the police come and arrest you now?'" she tells.
:lmao: I am not sure why I laughed so hard when I read this, I am evil..:reject:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom