Craving for love - chapter 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susannag75

The Fly
Disclaimer: All fiction, nothing real... all for pure fun not for money... don't know them don't owe them etc etc etc

Hope you enjoy this one...

Craving for love - Chapter 7

Adam woke up with a terrible headache. He could not even remember the last time he had been feeling that bad.
He was alone. He did not talk at all with the girl he had brought home – she did not even say her name, or at least he couldn’t hear it – and she left without a word.

I was used to this once… why is it all so hard now? He thought.
He got up and walked over to the bathroom. A light blinking on the phone caught his eye.
Messages… it will surely be Bono leaving messages… I should apologize to him, by the way… He had no guilt in this… and I shouldn’t have drunk that much. But Melissa… why didn’t she call…she’s been bad to me…
He pushed the answering machine play button and almost collapsed hearing Melissa’s voice.

“Hello Adam… Sorry I did not call you before. We had a sort of an unexpected event here… a friend of mine gave birth before she was due to… she’s well and the baby’s alright too… but we had quite a busy night… the party was fucked… I thought I would find you but your phone’s turned off… Call me when you’re back. Love you.”

Adam stood there, wondering what he might do… meanwhile another message was on.

“Adam? It’s 3 o’clock and still I could not find you… well, I hope you’re alright… I’m going to sleep… I’m very tired. I’ve seen you called me on my phone… I’m sorry I had to turn it off in the hospital… Well, call me when you hear this please… I need to hear your voice…”

God, why was I so stupid? Why didn’t I go home with Bono… She wasn’t cheating on me, but I WAS… and what if that girl goes around selling her story to the newspapers? Melissa would hate me for that… I already hate myself for that…What the hell did I do…She was waiting for me to call back to her… What should I do… he was gradually falling into despair. Fear of losing it all was growing into him. He could already see the titles on the magazines… the paparazzi had surely taken some pictures… It won’t take them long to find out where she lives… and she will want the money…

He stormed out of his room and ran to Bono’s one, but he didn’t find him in.
He stopped for a while outside the door. He tried to think. He was not sure he wanted to tell the story to anyone… He did not want to have them preaching on him about marriage, about drinking, about women… He was able to control this situation. He was not married, after all… But still… he felt that he had ruined everything.
He went back to his room, picked up the phone and called Melissa.

Bono woke up late. Edge was already sitting at his desk arranging something with his pc. He had been very careful in not waking up his friend, first because he thought he needed some sleep, and second because he himself needed some time to work without having him pestering around with his anxieties.

“Have you heard anything from Adam?” Bono asked getting up. He hadn’t slept much and was very focused on what happened the night before.

“Well, no. Good morning, however…”

“For me it’s not good at all until I find him… and have a talk with him.”

“Ok, let’s go and see if he’s in his room… I’ll stay with you just in case…” Edge closed his computer and waited for Bono to be ready.

They knocked at Adam’s door. When he opened the door he was already shaven and dressed. They could see he had not slept much by the bag under his eyes but he was better than they both had expected.
“Hello. What’s up?” Adam said as they stared at him.

“Hello. You were behaving in a quite strange way last night… I was worried about you… you and Melissa too…” Bono answered, trying not to be annoying.

“Worried for me? And why?” he laughed soundly. “Oh, Bono you’re so stupid sometimes. I was just drunk. And a good night out never killed anyone. Melissa is coming back in two days. Are you OK with that? Or is there any other thing you want to know? Honestly, I think you should get something to keep you busy, man. You can’t always be so curious about my private things. Get a life!”

Bono was speechless at his friend’s outburst.

“Adam, Bono was just getting sure you were fine – I don’t think he deserves this from you.” Edge was ready to intervene to avoid any fight between them. “However, if you are OK, it’s better we go back to work. Am I right, Bono?”
Bono just nodded. He gave a mean look to Adam, turned on his back and walked away with his hands in his pockets, mumbling some undefined words.

“I meant that. He was worried. Why had you to be so hard on him?” Edge went on.

“He’ll survive, won’t he? I don’t need him to babysit on me.” Adam said.

“Are you still drunk? Listen, it’s none of my business, but if you really want it to work with your wife-to-be stop behaving like that. You would scare her.”

“She won’t be so picky on me as you two are. And now excuse me but I have to go downtown. I have some shopping to do before Melissa comes back.” Adam went away and Edge followed him with his look until he could.

“Don’t get it personal. He’s still drunk.” Edge said, entering the room where Bono was nervously and dangerously moving furniture around.

“He called me a stupid – maybe I really am. In bothering that much for him, surely.” Bono was in anger.

“Bono, please. We already have problems with him – would you mind calming down?” Edge looked at his friend sympathetically. He knew he was hurt by what Adam had said, but they had to keep the band in good shape. Fighting with one of the members wouldn’t do any good. “You’re a good friend to him. It’s nothing to do with you… Let’s work. He’ll be OK.” He added, in the hope of helping him to feel better.

Melissa came back full of expectations about her forthcoming marriage. She was a bit worried for Adam, though, as he talked strangely to her at the phone.
She asked him to tell her what was worrying him but he dismissed her very fast, with no explanations.

“Hello love I’m back!” she shouted entering his room in a storm, without breath for the long run up the stairs to avoid waiting for the elevator.
She stopped at the door as he saw him, and he put down the glass he was filling with some alcohol.
It was just 5 pm, and Melissa was quite alarmed at the sight. He hugged her and kissed her quite coldly.
“Hi love. Did you have a good trip?” he asked, gaining distance from her.

“Er… Yes I did… How… how are you? You seemed quite strange on the phone yesterday…” Melissa said, trying to conceal her disappointment at her boyfriend’s stiff reception.

“I’m OK love, just tired. This tour is getting quite long. But you will be tired, too, from all this travelling around… Well, take some rest and settle your things. I will just go and tell the boys you have arrived. See you later.” He went out of the room after kissing her on her head.

Melissa sat on the bed. Was he the same man she had promised to marry? This distant, cold man was not at all the Adam she knew.
She felt tears falling down her cheeks but tried to convince herself that it was just because they had been apart for so long, and that they would soon regain their intimacy.
The other men came to say hello to her very soon, and she noted the tension among them. Adam was quite apart from the others, and while Edge managed to act his usual ways, Bono was very undertone. He did not speak a word to Adam nor turn his head in his direction, and did not even look in her eyes.
She was puzzled by this behaviour and wondered what might have happened while she was away.

In the evening, Adam watched a movie with Melissa and sat on his side of the bed, finding excuses to move away every time she tried to get closer.
She asked him if there was any problem, and kept thinking what she might have done to upset him like that, but found no answer in her mind.
He fell asleep after drinking a bottle of vodka, and she felt alone and cold, for the first time since she had met him.

In the following days things just went worse. Adam drank more and more, and she felt useless as he wouldn’t listen to her asking him to stop. He was rude with her, and he was next to her only sometimes at nights, when he did not go out.
He was always fighting with the others in the band too, as he was losing concentration and making mistakes.
She kept asking him to tell her what was wrong, but he just said everything was fine, and told her to go on with setting what was needed for their marriage by herself, as he was very busy with the band.

Another month passed and the tour ended. They all went back to their families, and Melissa settled at Adam’s place, even though she was not very sure that this would be a good move.
Adam went on to behave even more wildly. He used to go out in the evening and come home in the afternoon, and then just sleep for the rest of the day.
Melissa started to think that this was his real self, and was getting near to the decision of leaving him, notwithstanding her love for him had not diminished.
She was feeling quite tired and not very well, too. It showed, and when they went to a ceremony for an award together with the other members of the band, Ali started to worry about her.

“Don’t you think that Melissa has become too thin lately? She seems to be ill…” Ali said to her husband on their way home from the party.

Bono was trying to concentrate on his driving, but was concerned about the same thing.
“Yes… I do think so, love. And Adam… he’s drinking way too much. I don’t know… I hope he’s treating her right…”

“I see you are worried… why don’t we ask her to come and help me with John? I would be able to have a chat with her… I would love to help…”

“Would you, honey? That would be great… I am really concerned with them… I might have done something more…” Bono was thinking about what he might be able to do.

“We’ll see what is needed. I’ll call her tomorrow morning.” Ali said, putting a hand on Bono’s knee. She knew about the story of Bono and Adam’s night out from Edge, as Bono did not mention anything to her. She could tell he was constantly thinking of this and wanted to free him from this burden.

The phone rang at Adam’s quite early in the morning.
“Hello? Oh Ali how are you? What? Taking care of John? Oh, very willingly! Yes… I’m coming down right now. Oh… Adam is not at home, no… OK, I’ll be there soon.”
Melissa was very happy to have an opportunity to go to Bono’s and talk with Ali. She was so kind and caring and she felt understood by her. At least, I’ll be able to go out and not having to wait for him to come back totally drunk…

Melissa and Ali had a good talk and she told her about how hard it was to live with Adam lately. Ali also convinced her to see her doctor, and they went there together in the afternoon.
She had not been feeling fine for some time, but had put it down to stress and pressure for losing her family and settling things all by herself, so she was quite shocked when the doctor broke the news to her. Not only she was in need of some vitamins because she did not eat much and was tired. She was pregnant.

“I still can’t believe this… I would have never thought…” she was telling Ali while she drove her home. She was happy, but she would have been much happier if Adam would be the same man he had chosen to live with just two months ago. She was quite worried about telling him the news too.

“Well, you were too much into what happened to you… you just thought you were tired… However, be careful. The doctor was concerned with you being so tired physically and emotionally. Do you want me to come in with you? Maybe I can stay until you tell him?” Ali asked Melissa as she dropped her outside her house.

“I don’t think it will be necessary. I can handle him… he’s going to be my man, the father of my child… He has to listen to me this time…” she smiled to Ali and got inside.

OMG:sad: Melissa is pregnant...I hope when she tells Adam he will get it together. I want it to work out with them. I could totally see Ali helping Melissa out. Ali is such a good woman.:)

Wonderful story, keep it up Susan:up:

Back
Top Bottom