Craving for love - chapter 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susannag75

The Fly
Hello... a new chapter... just to bridge to the rest of the story... I've got something on my mind, and I hope you like it!

DISCLAIMER: everything written here is my (ill) imagination's result... not making money from this and written just for fun...

Craving for love - Chapter 5

It had never happened that Bono was on time for anything, but that morning he was already sitting in front of his breakfast with Edge when the others came around.
On the contrary, Adam was very late.
Bono tapped on the floor with his foot impatiently.

“It’s not polite to make other people wait …” he said.

Larry glanced at him. “We ALWAYS wait for you, Bono…”

“Not when I have news to tell you. You’re always the first to know, even in the middle of the night.” He answered

“I KNOW it VERY WELL” Edge said in his teeth.

Adam entered the room with Melissa, keeping his arm around her shoulders, both of them smiling and shining. And Bono was finally satisfied with his curiosity.

“Hello everybody. What a wonderful day…” Adam said, blinking at them.

“Good morning. You’re late, but we’ll forgive you…” Bono answered, relieved.

“We… had quite a long chat tonight… so we slept quite late, and this morning she kept trying to take me out of my bed, but with not much success…” Adam said, smiling softly to her and rubbing her back.

Now that he could see that things had gone the right way, Bono was turning to ‘happy-for-my-friend’ mode, and almost jumped for joy.
He bounced around the table teasing every one of the crew and Edge looked at him in amusement.

Adam and Melissa were actually an item, and a good one. They got to spend time together but also having their own spaces for working, and enjoyed every minute they had during the day.

Of course she had her issues in adapting to a life she was not used to. She had always been quiet and did not like to go out too much, while Adam enjoyed having a good night out. She started to go with him and she soon liked it.

Still, she felt quite strange on the first time she went with Adam to an award ceremony, with all of the photos and all the people watching at her. She was quite shy, and did not like very much to be investigated in order to put her story on the next day newspaper.

“What’s the matter with you tonight? You’re so quiet…” Adam said to her during the night.

“I don’t know. I’m not used to all of those people being around me…How do you get to bear them asking and taking pictures…” she answered, looking quite annoyed.

“I’m sorry about this… but it’s always like this on official occasions. We’re quite lucky at being not so much followed when we’re at home, but when we are on the job… Probably I should have left you at home… Maybe it would have been better to start with a less busy night…” Adam was getting nervous. He hoped Melissa was not considering breaking up because of this fact.

Melissa could already well understand every little change in Adam’s mood, and she was touched by his concern. This reminded her of the reasons why she was getting so much in love with him. She would not surely lose him on such a silly thing.
“Don’t worry… I’ll get used to it. I would not have missed this evening for anything in the world. Seeing you getting an award is brilliant for me. You do work so hard! I don’t care about the other people here.” She said, looking him in the eyes and kissing him sweetly.
She herself was surprised by how much her confidence had grown in the time she spent with the band. She would have never dared to kiss Adam like she had just done, in public, under a hundred flashes… She did not feel anymore like she was a lucky girl kept up by Bono and brought into the studio to greet some pop stars. She was able to see Adam just like a man, her own man. She was deeply in love, and she felt free of behaving like herself, her true self, with him. She could tell how he would have reacted and knew what he liked or disliked even too well.

She kissed him again and went out in search of a quiet place where to ease her mind for a while.
She spotted Bono sitting alone in the garden. He had been quite silent as well. He was alone, because his family had not been able to leave home for being with him, and Melissa thought this might be the reason. She also thought to be able to offer some help. She looked in her purse and found some sweets that John had given her before going home.
“Hello… want some?” she asked him, showing her hands full of coloured chocolates.

Bono recognized them at once.
“These are John’s sweets aren’t they?” he asked, surprised.

“Yes, they are. He gave some to me before leaving. He was sure his dad would have liked to have some as well… He’s very fond of you. But he told me to give you just a few and keep the others for me, as otherwise you would eat them all and have belly ache… But I think now his dad needs many of his sweets…” she said, smiling to him.
“I can see you miss them. But I’m sure they will find a way to be with you soon…”

“That’s really kind of you. John liked a lot to stay with you. I hope that once we are at home you’ll spend some time with him again. He loved to play with you. I miss them all, really. Especially when the others are with their families. And now, also Adam has someone who keeps his mind really busy…” he glanced at her, and smiled.
“Are you OK with him? You know, he can be sort of… well, he had his problems in the past. But I think that he’s not going into troubles anymore with you by his side.”

“I won’t let him get into any sort of trouble… he has to stay as he is… I need him to be with me. You know that.” She said, very seriously.

“Yes I know. I’m sure he knows as well. And I will remind him if needed. Don’t worry. Let’s go inside, it is getting cold here, and I don’t want that your boyfriend kills me because of you getting a cold.” He passed his arm around her shoulders and walked with her towards the ceremony room. He was sure that bringing her into the studio that day was one of the most right things he had done in his life.

Two months had passed and Melissa needed to leave and go home to settle some family issues. She felt that she was now feeling good enough to bear the weight of entering her house again and not being suffocated by memories of her life before the accident.

Adam was worried about this fact. He did not want to let her go, because he was afraid that she would have met someone, maybe an old friend, an ex boyfriend… and she might decide to stay at her home, and forget about him. Maybe she would just think of her time there just like a long holiday, and their love would be archived just like a summer love.
It was very late when he knocked at Bono’s door.
Bono was chatting on the phone with someone from a humanitarian organization who was in a different time zone. He opened the door while talking and, keeping his phone between his ear and his shoulder, gestured to Adam to come in with one hand while closing the door with the other.
Adam looked around. The room seemed more like an office when Ali and the children were not with him. He smiled at his friend restlessness while Bono was talking, which he did for a quarter of hour.

“Wow, funny chat.” He said eventually.

“What was that, any president or king or what?” Adam asked “It seems I have to ask your secretary for appointments to see you… even at night…”

“Always got time for you all.” He said sitting down on the sofa in front of Adam and pouring something to drink for both.
“Now, to you… What’s the matter? You usually stay in your room with Melissa… did you have an argument?”

“No. But I wanted to talk to you about her. You know she’s leaving soon… and I don’t know whether it might be a good idea for me to…” he blushed “to propose to her, before she goes home.”

Bono could not believe his ears. “Excuse me? Did you just say ‘propose’? Do you mean… ask her to marry you?”

“Yes. What other meaning do you know to this word?”

“Well, it’s that I thought you were… quite hostile to marriage…”

“I don’t want to lose her. I need her. I love her. I want to spend all of my time with her. I care for her. My friends like her – don’t you?”

“Yes. Of course I like her.”

“So, don’t you think I’m old enough to settle? To start a family?”

“I could not wish for anything better for you, my friend. You know that I live for my family.”

“That’s why I came here and asked you.”

“Well, so if you think it is right… ask her.” Bono said, hoping that his friend would be lucky in his decision. He had not seen him that happy for ages… he really wished that everything would be alright for him.

“OK… I’ll let you know.” Adam said and rushed away.

“Hey, Adam wait you would need…” Bono could hear the door slam “… a ring, maybe” he added to himself, shaking his head.

Adam reached his room and went straight to the side of the bed where Melissa was already asleep.

“Hey Mel… come on, wake up!” He said, kissing her hair.

Melissa woke up, and was surprised to see Adam next to her, his face excited and still breathing so fast from the run.
“What happened? Is everything alright?” she was quite scared at first.

“Yes it is. I have to tell you something. It’s really important. I cannot wait until tomorrow morning.”

Melissa was even more surprised. It never happened to her to see Adam so out of control and so much in a hurry.
“Well, tell me then. You’re so strange Adam. What’s the matter?”

“Will you marry me?” he blurted out, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

“What? I must be still sleeping…” she said. She gave herself a slap on her face and realized she was awake, instead. She looked at Adam, who still kept his eyes closed waiting for her answer.
“Excuse me, love…what did you just say?” she asked him, taking his hands in hers and holding them.

“Will you… marry me?” he said again, this time with a bit less confidence.

“Oh God… are you really asking me to marry YOU?” She was almost shouting.
“Oh yes, yes and yes again, Adam…” she said and embraced him so tightly he was almost suffocated.

“Well, I was afraid you would say no…” he said, smiling, kissing her and holding her.
“Come with me now, we have somebody to tell!”
He went out of the room keeping Melissa’s hand strongly and brought her to Larry’s room.
“Larry, come on wake up! I’m getting married!” he shouted and knocked on the door like mad.

Larry opened the door with a very angry face.
“What the hell?” he softened his tone as he saw the girl “Oh hi Mel. So what?”

“I’m getting married!”

“And are you waking me up in the middle of the night with all of this noise just for telling me a joke?”

“I’m not joking. I’m getting married to HER” he said again and kissed Melissa.

“What?” Larry could not believe his eyes. “You what? It can’t be true…”

Bono had of course been to Edge’s room to tell him about Adam, and they both came around, having heard the noise.
“I’m getting married!” Adam was telling again.

“Yes all the hotel guests will know by now… It’s great my friend! I had almost lost hope for it to happen!” Edge said, hugging him. “And you’re so lucky, with such a girl” he added smiling at Melissa.

“So then Mel, show us the ring.” Larry said, still not really convinced. “I hope he did splash on something serious…”

Bono put a hand on his mouth not to be seen laughing.

Adam frowned.
“The ring… Oh God… Bono why didn’t you remind me of that? What a friend.”

“I tried to tell you, but you flew away…” Bono said, now laughing openly.

“I don’t care about the ring… I care just about you. Don’t worry… You’ll have all the time to buy a ring for me, however…You’re a pop star, you can’t let the papers tell you’re greedy…They’ll try to catch a picture of my hand and there must be something sparkling on it…” She said, laughing as well, blowing him a kiss.

Larry and Edge were nearly crying from laughter, and Adam tried to get back to his usual self.
“Well, it was just for not being too much conventional.” He said in his own posh way.

Bono came around with a bottle of champagne.
“We need something to celebrate however. Come to my room, you all. I’ll take care of the bride…” he said, catching Melissa’s arm.

“Thank you. If it had not been for you, I don’t know what I would have done... And now I nearly have a husband…” She said in his ear, and kissed his cheek.

“Take care of him. I’ll make sure he will take care of you as well. My promise.” He said.
I will take care of both of them, they deserve to be happy…he thought.

Melissa left after a few days, and while she was home she could not think of anything else than Adam, and he kept calling her to check that she did not change her mind.

It is all so perfect… I hope it will last… she thought each night before sleeping.

These are tears of joy:sad: How beautiful :cute:

I am so happy Adam has a wife, soon there will be children:happy:

Wonderful story susan.

Back
Top Bottom