Cover Me Chapter 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
DISCLAIMER: I don’t own U2. (If I did they’d have their new CD out already.) I don’t know them.

I ended this the way I did because I’ll have to explain the dream in the next chapter. I hope you enjoy it and like always, please leave a comment.

So on with the story……

COVER ME CHAPTER 4

The Front door opened into the kitchen. Straight ahead were the dining room and a hallway that let off to the left. There was a sunken living room just off the dining room. A sliding door led out to a deck.

“There are two bedrooms down the hall. One has twin beds, I figured you and Edge would want those Bono, and the other has a double bed. There is also a pull-out couch in the living room.” I said, to no one in particular.

“Dibs on the double bed” said Kat.

“Let’s haul all our stuff in and figure out what to do.” I said to everyone.

Edge goes to pick up my suitcase. Unfortunately he chose the one with my books in it.

“What the hell do you have in here Mags? Bricks?”

“Just some books” I say. “I can hardly stay in a house with no books. That would drive me nuts.”

“That’s not a far trip Mags.” Says Kat.

“Do you read a lot Mags?” asks Bono.

“There are two things I’m addicted to in this life. One is books and the other is coffee,” I say.

I go to check the fridge to see what there is as far as food goes.

“Great,” I think “a jar of pickles, a bottle of ketchup and some mystery meat that looks like it’s been there since the dawn of time.”

“I need to go get some groceries. I also need to do a few errands so I’m just going to go on my own.” I say.

One of the errands is to go drop in on my mother and get her recipe for her lasagne. If I have to cook, it may as well be good.

“Are you sure you don’t want some company?” Bono asks.

“I have to go drop in on my mother, I don’t think you’d want to be subjected to that Bono.” I say.

“I’m sure it’ll be ok,” he says.

“If you’re sure you don’t mind.” I say.

As we head out to my car he gives me a look.

“What?” I say.

“Can I drive?” he asks.

“Well, I guess you can’t drive worse than I do.” I say.

He gets into the drivers side. He turns on the car, guns it, and gives me the most wicked smile I’d ever seen on his face. We race out of the driveway. There is nothing I love more than driving fast with the top down. It’s even better when you have a sexy guy next to you. I tell him the directions to the nearest Starbucks. We go through the drive-thru and give the girl working there a thrill. I then give him directions to my mom’s house.

“There is one thing you need to know before we get there.” I say.

He looks over at me. “What’s that?”

“I’m adopted. I’m only telling you that because I look nothing like my family. My mother also hates nicknames. I never understood that because she calls me baby-girl.” I look over to see what his re-action is.

He just looks at me and smiles.

We pull into the driveway and we get out. I just walk right in without knocking and Bono follows me in.

“Mama! Where are you?” I yell.

“Baby-girl! What are you doing here? I wasn’t expecting you until Sunday.” She said.

I look at Mama and try to see what Bono does. She is a short, round woman with grey hair and a big smile. She has dark ebony skin and dark eyes. I on the other hand have ivory skin. Sometimes it can be quite a shock to people when I call her Mama. She comes over and gives me a huge hug.

“Who’s this handsome man?” she asks seeing Bono behind me.

“This is Bono. I’m trying to keep him out of trouble.” I say. “Bono, this is my mother Gladys.”

“Nice to meet you ma’am.” He says.

“What kind of name is Bono? Didn’t your mama like you?” She asks. I blush and try not to look at him.

“Bono is a nickname mama. His friends gave it to him.” I say. “His real name is Paul but no one calls him that. Kat and I are looking after him and his friend Edge, um, I mean Dave.”

“Well, come sit down and tell me everything.” She says to us. She pours me a cup of coffee.

We sit at the counter on a couple of stools.

I give Bono a lop-sided smile. “Bono’s my new boy-friend mama.”

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that woman move that fast before in my life. She came over to me and hugged me. “Oh it’s about time you found someone baby-girl. I’ve been so worried about you. All you do is work and sleep. Maybe now I’ll get some white grand-babies!”

I start turning three shades of red. I can’t even look at Bono.

She goes over to him and holds his face in her hands. “You’ll be looking after my baby-girl real good now won’t you?”

I didn’t think I could turn this red. Guess I was wrong.

“Yes ma’am.” I hear him chuckle.

“It’s just for the job mama.” I say. “We have to pretend to be going out.”

“Oh.” She said a little disappointed. “Is this what you came to tell me then?”

“Yes. And to steal your lasagne recipe. If I have to cook I’d rather not kill them.” I say.

I grab a pen and paper to start making a shopping list. I look at Bono and write down Guinness. I fill one side of the paper and turn it over and fill the other.

“What do you do for a living Bono?” she asks.

“I’m a singer in a rock and roll band.” He says.

“What’s it called?”

“U2.” He said looking at her to see if she recognized the name.

“I’m more of a Tony Bennett fan myself.” She says.

“I’ve worked with him before.” He said

I look up to see that she doesn’t quite believe him.

“Mama, remember that Tony Bennett CD I gave you for your birthday? The one with all the duets on it? He did one of those songs.” I say.

“How old are you?” She asks Bono. I start to see a pattern in her questions and try to stop the inquisition.

“I’m 47 ma’am.” He tells her, looking a little uncomfortable.

“Mama, stop asking questions. I think he’s been through enough without the Spanish inquisition.” I say.

“So you’re still coming for thanksgiving Sunday?” She asks giving the death glare only mothers have.

“I don’t know. I’ll have to ask Lieutenant Baxter if it’s ok.” I say.

“Let me talk to your Lieutenant Baxter. I’ll make sure you can come.” She says. I know she has a little crush on Baxter. It only makes me uncomfortable if I think about it too much.

“Well, we have to go Mama if I’m going to get back in time to make supper. I’m stealing your recipe book. I’ll bring it back next time.” I say getting up and getting my stuff together. I try to make a quick get-away.

“Be a good girl and call me when you know if you can make it. Bring your friends. Don’t forget to make the pies and be careful!” She says as we go out the door.

“I will Mama! Bye!” I yell.

I get into the driver’s side. Bono jumps into the car and sighs.

“Sorry about that. But I did warn you.” I say.

We get through the grocery shopping without too much trouble. We were stopped a couple of times by people wanting autographs. I kept looking at the people around seeing if anyone was acting suspicious. It was in the back of my mind that the woman writing the letters might be watching Bono. It wouldn’t take much for her to become a stalker.

When we get back to the house I see Kat and Edge sitting on the couch watching TV. I look closer and notice his arm around her shoulder.

“I see you two are getting along” I say a little sarcastically. They jump two feet in the air and land on opposite ends of the couch. Kat blushes a little.

Bono looks questioningly at Edge. Edge has the most innocent look on his face. Neither of us buys it.

“Kat, come help me with the groceries and we can make supper.” I say.

After supper the guys cleaned up. Bono made himself comfortable on the big chair in the living room Edge and Kat sat on the couch. I sat on the floor because it was the only place left.

We watched the movie “The Bourne Supremacy”. Well, they watched it, I watched Bono. Thankfully it was a little dark so I could get away with it without him noticing.
I never realized just how blue his eyes were. I think that is what attracted me to him in the first place.

The movie was over and Bono started to talk.

“How did you end up with Gladys being your mother Mags?” he asked me.

“When I was 10 years old my parents, well, died” I said, not exactly going into detail. “Kristen, her daughter, was and still is my best-friend. When she found out that I was going to be put into foster care she said she’d take me. I found out later that she had gone through the process of being a foster mother just to take me in. I guess she knew it was coming somehow.”

“She’s quite the character.” He said.

I laugh. “I know. That’s one of the many reasons I love her to death.” I said.

Bono starts yawning and then Edge follows him. “Maybe you two should go to bed before you get us all yawning.” I say.

“Sounds like a good idea. We’ve had a busy day.” Edge says.

We all say goodnight. Edge gives Kat a hug, which kinda surprises me. She’s not usually that easy with new people. Bono comes over to give me a hug. His arms come around me and I try not to panic. I don’t like people getting too close to me. I think he notices me shaking and he give me a brief hug.

“Good night Mags. Sweet dreams.” He says to me.

“Good night Bono. You too” I say.

I pull out the bed on the couch and get into my pj’s. I lie back on the bed and close my eyes.

I start to dream.

Last edited:
I lie back on the bed and close my eyes.
I start to dream.

...and...and?...
go on go on, dianepm :pray:

“What kind of name is Bono? Didn’t your mama like you?” :giggle:

:applaud: it is coming out very good, diane.

Last edited:
Diane, this is so cute. I love it. BUT that was WAY too little, girl.

"....give the working girl there a thrill".
"I watched Bono". Of course, that is exactly what we would do in a situation like that!!! Your ideas and dialogue are so right on.
And that Bono calls Gladys ma'm- because he WOULD do exactly that.

MORE PLEASE, TODAY!!!!!

Sorry if this ends up a dumb question, but where are chapters 1,2 and 3? :huh:
Thanks in advance for steering me to the right place!

Ohhh, duh, now I get it. I thought those characters sounded familiar!

:wave: Hi Diane. I only just got to read this chapter cos my stoopid internet connection went down for days! :rant: :grumpy: :yell: :madwife: but now I'm back online (Hopefully for a while this time).

I really like this and especially mama. I always think a good, strong female character gives fanfic a measure of normality with the added bonus of being able to insert the odd giggle/serious scene.

Ok, off to read the rest. :flirt:

Back
Top Bottom