Concerned....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Things are really great with my new job and everything and today I find a weird bump right behind my ear. I'm a little concerned about this and when I showed my mom she completely freaked out because my sis had the same thing and it turned out to be a cyst. :sigh:

I have a bump right behind my right ear. Usually it feels only slighter larger than normal, but sometimes it swells really bad and hurts. My mom took me to the doctor who just said to take Naproxen to help with the swelling but if it keeps swelling they will have to take it out.
The doctor never really told me what it is and my mom thinks its a swollen lymph node or something, but I didn't know you had lymph nodes behind your ears.
I don't know if my little story helps but I just want you to know that you're not alone here. It is scary to have because you don't know what it is. I hope yours is nothing serious.
:heart: :heart:

U2Girl1978 said:
Things are really great with my new job and everything and today I find a weird bump right behind my ear. I'm a little concerned about this and when I showed my mom she completely freaked out because my sis had the same thing and it turned out to be a cyst. :sigh:

You might want to see a Doc. I had one behind my left ear in high school. It was there for about a week and then it really started to hurt like hell. I told my mom, who doesn't freak out, but she did this time b/c my dad had a one pound tumor removed from this same spot. She sent me to the Doc the next day. I actually had a second lump higher up on my scalp, but I just thought I had bumped my head or scraped it brushing. The Doc thought maybe I was getting mono until I showed him the spot on my scalp, which momentarily burst open. Then he knew right away it was a lymph infection (had some weird, weird name!). He said since the lump had burst, I could probably "take care of the swelling on my own". This meant twice a day picking the scab and putting pressure on it or squeezing it with a hot rag. Yes, it was disgusting, but the other option was having the Doc lance it (cut it open) to relieve the swelling. I also had to take antibiotics for 10 days to prevent the spread of the infection.

If it hurts, I'd go in b/c they can open it up and get the abscess out to relieve the pressure. I don't think it's serious at all. I think I have a sensitive lymph system, if that's possible, b/c I get painfully swollen glands and sometimes feverish when I have even the tiniest canker sore. I guess in a way it's b/c my body is fighting the infection, but it sucks enough just to have a canker sore, not swollen glands with it!

Last edited:
Sounds like you caught it at the right time if it turns out to be anything.

You'll be fine. :wink: You have all of our support and love. :hug:

Bet it's a swollen lymph node. See your doc to get peace of mind and let us know how it goes.
:hug:

Don't freak yourself out by thinking the worst - it could just be down to stress or, like ruffian said, a swollen lymph. I'd get it checked out for reasuurance (especially if you have experience in the family of this sort of thing) - I hope it's nothing serious.
Take care of yourself, U2girl, and keep us updated :hug:

for piece of mind - go get it checked out - it wil make both you and your Mom feel better
there is a large chain of the lymphatic system that runs basically from behind your ear, your neck,etc - more than likely it is a swollen node but again it is best to get things check out - if for no other reason than you'll have peace of mind
Moms like to be over-protective - I've got one too :)

:hug:

I only just read this&got this weird feeling you had nothing to worry about so i'm glad to hear that you are fine! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom