Clinton to address Global AIDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisybean

Rock n' Roll Doggie, FOB
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eye
Hhhhhmmm I wonder if they will mention the B-man

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ten years after playing the saxophone on MTV in a defining moment of his 1992 campaign for president, Bill Clinton is returning to the cable music channel to discuss the global AIDS ( news - web sites) epidemic.

Clinton will be one of several panelists taking questions from an audience of young adults from more than 25 countries during an hour-long program to be taped July 11 in Barcelona, Spain, the network, a unit of Viacom Inc., said on Wednesday.

The MTV special, titled "Staying Alive: A Global Forum on HIV ( news - web sites)/AIDS," will be telecast starting July 12 on more than 30 MTV channels around the world.

The program will be moderated by MTV India host Cyrus Broacha, known as the Carson Daly of his country. MTV programming currently reaches 382 million households in 165 countries.

The special is part of a new youth-oriented AIDS awareness campaign MTV is launching in conjunction with the Kaiser Family Foundation and Family Health International.

According to a United Nations ( news - web sites) report released this week, more than half of young people aged 15 to 24 have serious misconceptions about AIDS and the HIV virus ( news - web sites), the same age group that accounts for half of all new HIV infections today.

Joining Clinton on the panel will be Peter Piot, head of the Joint U.N. Program on HIV/AIDS, Brazilian ( news - web sites) Health Ministry official Paulo Roberto Teixeira and Vicki Ehrich of British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline Plc .

The former president is an honorary co-chairman of the International AIDS Trust foundation, MTV spokeswoman AnneMarie Kane said.

Clinton first made a splash on MTV during his initial bid for the White House in 1992, appearing on a town hall-style special in which he played his saxophone and gamely answered questions about what sort of underwear he wore. He later credited the MTV appearance with helping energize young people about politics and went on to unseat Republican incumbent President George Bush in the general election.

I think this is cool. This will give the issue more attention, and I don't think there's any such a thing as *too* much attention to this issue. It's horrible to think that some people don't know anything about it. If they find out they'll start raising serious hell about the present inactivity, and that's exactly what needs to happen.

this is wonderful! i was waiting for mtv to get on this. they have some of the greatest things sometimes (like thier real sex programs, their program against descrimination, the clinton thing, they had a q and a with colin powell earlier too). i'm glad to see that they are finally picking up some of the responsibility they hold for being a station that is most often watched by people under the age of 18.

Thanks for the tip on the taping of this show. I've marked July 12th on my calendar. Glad to see that Global AIDS awareness is getting the attention it deserves.:idea: :yes:

u2er said:
Ewww, Clinton. :barf: But :up: about the AIDS thing.

Considering that Bono has said that he'd "lunch with the Devil" to get the AIDS message across, I don't think it's so bad. Yeah, Clinton's controversial but I'm glad he's doing something positive. And this is positive, controversies or no controversies.

verte76 said:

Considering that Bono has said that he'd "lunch with the Devil" to get the AIDS message across, I don't think it's so bad. Yeah, Clinton's controversial but I'm glad he's doing something positive. And this is positive, controversies or no controversies.

I know it's positive. That doesn't mean I have to like Clinton. :madspit:

u2er said:

I know it's positive. That doesn't mean I have to like Clinton. :madspit:

Oh, of course it doesn't. There are alot of people who support the Stop Global Aids effort who can't stand Clinton. Even cruds support this stuff. :laugh: :laugh: To me Clinton is sort of coincidental here; the important thing is that they're putting the AIDS issue on MTV. To paraphrase Bono, I don't care if it's the Devil educating MTV's audience on the global AIDS crisis--it's got to be done.

Back
Top Bottom