Clayton: U2's Musical Conscience or Musical Sellout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doctorwho said:
I take issue with Adam's comment that ATYCLB only had one hit.

"Stuck..." was certainly a hit song, charting on the U.S. and U.K. charts (peaking at #2 on the U.K. charts). The proof that "Stuck..." was a hit came when ATYCLB started to reclimb the charts once "Stuck..." was released. That shows a song is a hit as it's helping the album sell better.

ATYCLB sold 4+ million in the U.S. Those type of sales aren't generated by just one hit song.

As for HTDAAB being the "catchiest" album yet, hmmm... I can certainly hear quite a few hit songs from it, but I'm not sure it's the most catchy - time will tell. For now, I think AB has that honor.

Obviously, Clayton didn't study the sales statistics and chart positions of the singles off that album. Not to mention the Grammy awards. All four singles from the album won Grammies (don't think any other album has had four different songs winning Grammies), yet the album did not win Album Of The Year (losing to some redneck hicks). Anyway, the reason could be that other than the 4 songs, ATYCLB had no meat in it.

So Clayton should diss the lack of quality, and not the lack of hits of ATYCLB. I think HTDAAB is downright catchy. All songs are singalong. Normally the second side of the album is where they let go of unsing-a-long songs like New York or Miami or Grace or Love Is Blindness, but with HTDAAB we can still all singalong to songs deep into the album, even up to Yahweh and OOTS which is Beatlesesque.

Anyway, it is nice to know that there is another U2 fan like yourself (who I respect very much) who can corroborate that Clayton is ignorant of the facts surrounding ATYCLB. You don' t sell 4 million in the USA based on one hit song, and you don't sell over 10 million worldwide.

Cheers,

J

You imply too much then Jick. It's more of a jab at men, and their macho image. He very much thinks women are capable of flourishing independently of men. There's other quotes, but I've haven't the time to dig them out, there in that Bill Flanagan book, other U2 books I've come across.

I dunno perhaps Clayton does have a rather high opinion of women, from other quotes I've seen from him, but that's not a crime.

Maybe you take issue with him basically saying, men need women, more than women need men.

I wrote that Adam once said October was his favourite album, that was in 1985/6; as of 2002, his was Achtung Baby. I pointed it out, because, I dunno, I found it ironic the non-Christian of the group at the time, liked the album with the most blatantly Christian lyrics Bono's written.

Bono said the band does not really follow chart positions, or keep track of the sales, or call radio stations to find out the positions of their songs. Okay, so maybe some don't believe anything Bono says, but that's up to you.

---

Another thing, when you rag on Adam, why do you focus on the image of Adam, from over 10 years ago. Yeah, he missed one gig, 1!, U2 have been performing for over 20 years, out of all that time, missed 1 gig. I suppose you've never had a relationship break down, or if you did, dealt with it differently. Not the best way to deal with it, but people deal with things differently.

Marijuana bust/possession of.

Adam's been sober for years, even to the lengths of not partying with the other band members to keep from temptation to drink alcohol. He's even trying to cut down on caffiene. Edge apparently took mushrooms once, Adam was nowhere around, you don't hold that over Edge. I don't like to think of any of them as following rock cliche's, but I can't say they haven't dabbled in illegal substances, cos I don't know.

Only non-Christian. [Okay, to others who might be reading this, might be getting into Free Your Mind territory, but this is just my observations, strictly my opinion, some may take offense at this part, but it's just that, my opinion. ]

Again, that's something that stuck from the early days. As I noted, he favoured October out of the first 4 albums. Maybe he tunes out the lyrics completely but 'you can sweep the lyrics under the rug but they're still there.' <--that's a paraphrase of Bono about his lyrics.

Bono outright said, Adam's a believer. You can check the New Testament of the Bible, the term believer is used almost all the time, to refer to Christians.

Did you know many substance abuse programs have some sort of affirmation about the help of a 'higher power' to beat your addictions. Very generic, then again, Adam's got 3 Christians as his closest friends, for him, that 'higher power' could very well be the God of the Bible.

In the recent Blender magazine, when asked what "All because of You" could be about, Adam said "It could be about God, it could be about your father or your friends. Or the audience." Look who he listed first.

I was under the impression that you only single out Adam, but from other posts, you nitpick about lots of things about U2, some are just ridiculous at times. I don't get you? what exactly do you want from these 4 guys, they're not gods ye know.

That's why I'm not so critical of U2, their music, what they do, because at the end of the day, they're just 4 guys from Ireland who write great music.

To quote Larry, "I hit things, and people clap."

Can always count on Larry to bring things down to the earth where they belong.

Last edited:
thrillme said:

I dunno perhaps Clayton does have a rather high opinion of women, from other quotes I've seen from him, but that's not a crime.

I wrote that Adam once said October was his favourite album, that was in 1985/6; as of 2002, his was Achtung Baby. I pointed it out, because, I dunno, I found it ironic the non-Christian of the group at the time, liked the album with the most blatantly Christian lyrics Bono's written.

Bono said the band does not really follow chart positions, or keep track of the sales, or call radio stations to find out the positions of their songs. Okay, so maybe some don't believe anything Bono says, but that's up to you.

Did you know many substance abuse programs have some sort of affirmation about the help of a 'higher power' to beat your addictions. Very generic, then again, Adam's got 3 Christians as his closest friends, for him, that 'higher power' could very well be the God of the Bible.

I was under the impression that you only single out Adam, but from other posts, you nitpick about lots of things about U2, some are just ridiculous at times. I don't get you? what exactly do you want from these 4 guys, they're not gods ye know.

That's why I'm not so critical of U2, their music, what they do, because at the end of the day, they're just 4 guys from Ireland who write great music.

To quote Larry, "I hit things, and people clap."

Can always count on Larry to bring things down to the earth where they belong.

If he has a high opinion of women then how come he hasn't settled in with any woman yet? When Clayton referred to support and companionship, I doubt he honestly believed in permanence.

Well back in 1985 there weren't many albums to choose from so it is quite believable he favored that album back then.

Bono already has a bad rap when it comes to talking about stuff and overhyping them (sometimes to the point of being untrue). So it is quite a prudent choice not to believe everything Bono says.

I would like to stand corrected about Clayton being a non-believer. I guess those substance abuse centers/rehabs he joined opened his eyes to the higher power. I don't know much about this part of his life.

I don't nitpick much about U2, or even Clayton. In the end, it's only the music that matters. Some people prefer to nitpick to the point of looking for details and smaller things while not seeing the bigger picture which is the totality of the music. I'm not like that.

I don't buy this 4 guys from Ireland story. U2 are public figures so if they are scrutinized it is because they chose to be celebrities.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I don't nitpick much about U2

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

thats the most absurd thing you've EVER written jick, and believe me, you've written some crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom