Clarity's Bass Questions Thread...(aka...I have a question(s)..help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Ok...so I've gone and gotten a polish cloth and some spray polish when I want to pretty up my bass. But what about maintaining the strings? They are metal after all...and I'm kinda clueless if there's anything I should do to take care of them on a regular basis.

More questions will come as I think of them I'm sure...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Official Statement from Me: Do not be alarmed. This purchase of a bass has not affected my overwhelming undying I wanna stalk...err talk to Lardence. :D Drums are too complicated and expensive! lol

I guess it would be the same as with an acoustic--you just replace them after awhile. You'll have to get somebody to show you how to do that.

First off......I do not play bass, but many past friends of mine have.
I thought the only "maintenance" you had to do to strings was keep them in tune and change them. I know you can wipe off the strings and the neck of the bass with a cloth, no worries. Other than that, there really isn't anything "big" you had to do to them.....
but I was only a music major in college for a year........and I didn't play bass.

smile.gif
Ok..thanks! If anyone has any other tips or whatever about anything like playing or anything just post it here...I'm eager to learn!

All I remember
E
A
D
G

Since I was a band nerd, I don't know tabs, but I know what they are....Are you learning those or chords.....
If you need any help with musical stuff, email me, I'll help you in whatever way I can. Chords, tabs(even though I don't know them super well, I know the idea), terms, whatever.....
just call me "Mrs.Clayton the band nerd"

------------------
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com

see Even Better Than the Real Thing.... they usually have some good posts, and most musicians on the board are more than willing to help.

As for strings, wipe them down after you play, especially if you get sweaty hands. Don't forget to change them when they start to sound "dull" and that's a relative term which is dependent on how often you play.

good luck
smile.gif

------------------
SlipStream Soul

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
make sure to ask AM all kinds of questions. She is the female Adam.

what a compliment *blush

it?s been said before, you just replace them after a while. The more you play the more often you need to replace them. I never wipe them with a cloth, but of course you can do it if you like. But make sure to get good quality strings.....

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Oh yeah...I keep forgetting to ask this question...I know there's different guages of strings...how do I tell what mine are? I forgot to ask when I bought it. Oops.

You probably have a standard gauge, clarity. I think they start at 45... *looks over at AM*

I change mine every 3 months or so... and I'm playing with 50.

------------------
SlipStream Soul

[This message has been edited by J-Tree (edited 03-04-2002).]

50?? wow! How do you fit them in??

Clarity, a standard gauge starts with 45 (g string), 65 (d), 85 (a) and 105 (e). I wouldn?t get any thinner strings than this. I once had a set starting with 40' strings and it was horrible. But then again, you pick what you like. So maybe it?s an good idea to try different kind of strings to start with,so you can see which ones you really like.

And, check out the bass thread in 'Even Better than the real thing'. We are actually talking about strings there right now

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Back
Top Bottom