can u explain the fly to me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaitlyn-U2

The Fly
is he like a character of Bono with the bug glasses? i don't understand what it means to zoo t.v. and is he the same as maphisto?

:hmm: thats a tough one if you dont know the background.
Zoo TV was one of their tours in the 90s that was full of media and glamour.
The fly was an alter ego that emerged when bono was given those "fly shades"
He said that when he put them on he was no longer Bono anymore but somebody else.
The fly is a greasy character...I dont quite know how to explain him though other than to tell you that no, he isnt macphisto.
That was when he dressed in the gold lame' suit with the devil horns

Is the fly the one that liked to drink a lot of the blended whisky?? :( :ohmy: or was it just the homebrew? :drool:

The Fly is sometimes described (by Bono) as a composite/ultimate rock 'n' roll star.
Here's a quote from Bono on Bono:
"The rock star I put together for myself was an identi-kit. I had Elvis Presley's leather jacket, Jim Morrison's leather pants, Lou Reed's fly shades, Jerry Lee Louis's boots, Gene Vincent's limp. You want rock 'n' roll stuff? I'll give you some." -- Bono.

Interestingly enough, according to Willie Williams (A very important Vertigo tour guy - I can't remember the name of his job) The Fly is back. He's reappeared as the guy in the Bus Driver's hat that Bono becomes during Vertigo shows. He is meant to be The Fly after he's become old and jaded.

This is all I need to know:

BonoFly.jpg
:drool:

Macphisto was supposed to be the fly, years into the future. (the washed out rock star)

In the whole me thrill me video, he metamorphoses between the two.

Let´s see what it REALLY means...

THE FLY is a 1986 science fiction film produced by Brooksfilms and Twentieth Century Fox Television, directed by David Cronenberg, and starring Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis and John Getz. It is a high budget remake of 1958 film of the same name, but with a substantially different plot. The soundtrack was composed by Howard Shore.
The Fly was a box office success upon its release and was critically-acclaimed in the press.
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow...
As with many of Cronenberg's films, The Fly deals with themes of bodily disfigurement or metamorphosis and the darker aspects of human emotions and behavior. The film also deals with the dangers of the misuse of science to terrible consequences. An underlying aspect of the story is the doomed love affair between Goldblum and Davis and the rivalry between Goldblum and Getz that results from this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Main Entry: the fly
Pronunciation: 'flI
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): flew /'flü/; flown /'flOn/; fly·ing
Etymology: Middle English flien, from Old English flEogan; akin to Old High German fliogan to fly and probably Old English flOwan to flow
intransitive senses
1 a : to move in or pass through the air with wings b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space c : to float, wave, or soar in the air <flags flying at half-mast>
2 a : to take flight : FLEE b : to fade and disappear : VANISH
3 a : to move, pass, or spread quickly <rumors were flying> b : to be moved with sudden extreme emotion <flew into a rage> c : to seem to pass quickly <the time simply flew>
4 : to become expended or dissipated rapidly
5 : to operate or travel in an airplane or spacecraft
6 : to work successfully : win popular acceptance <knew... a pure human-rights approach would not fly -- Charles Brydon>
transitive senses
1 a : to cause to fly, float, or hang in the air <flying a kite> b : to operate (as a balloon, aircraft, rocket, or spacecraft) in flight c : to journey over or through by flying
2 a : to flee or escape from b : AVOID, SHUN
3 : to transport by aircraft or spacecraft
- fly at : to assail suddenly and violently
- fly blind : to fly an airplane solely by instruments
- fly high : to be elated
- fly in the face of or fly in the teeth of : to stand or act forthrightly or brazenly in defiance or contradiction of

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick definitions (The Fly)

noun: (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air
noun: two-winged insects characterized by active flight
noun: an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or buttons concealed by a fold of cloth
noun: fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
noun: flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent
verb: pass away rapidly
verb: display in the air or cause to float (Example: "Fly a kite")
verb: change quickly from one emotional state to another (Example: "Fly into a rage")
verb: hit a fly
verb: transport by aeroplane (Example: "We fly flowers from the Caribbean to North America")
verb: be dispersed or disseminated (Example: "Rumors and accusations are flying")
verb: travel in an airplane (Example: "She is flying to Cincinnati tonight")
verb: move quickly or suddenly
verb: travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft (Example: "Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic")
verb: cause to fly or float (Example: "Fly a kite")
verb: travel through the air; be airborne (Example: "Man cannot fly")
verb: fly a plane
verb: run away quickly
verb: decrease rapidly and disappear
adjective: (British informal) not to be deceived or hoodwinked
name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #12222)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bono Dictionary
"The rock star I put together for myself was an identi-kit. I had Elvis Presley's leather jacket, Jim Morrison's leather pants, Lou Reed's fly shades, Jerry Lee Louis's boots, Gene Vincent's limp. You want rock 'n' roll stuff? I'll give you some."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fly Talk...

It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight
They say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon
You know I don't see you when she walks in the room

It's no secret that a friend is someone who lets you help
It's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else
They say a secret is something you tell one other person
So I'm telling you...child
Low Voice Gospel Voice

A man will beg Love...we shine like a
A man will crawl burning star
On the sheer face of love We're falling from
Like a fly on a wall the sky...tonight
It's no secret at all
It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest
It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief
Oh love...

Low Voice Gospel Voice

A man will rise Love...we shine like a
A man will fall burning star
From the sheer face of love We're falling from
Like a fly from a wall the sky...tonight
It's no secret at all
(Love...we shine like a burning star)
(We're falling from the sky...tonight)

Low Voice Gospel Voice

A man will rise Love...we shine like a
A man will fall burning star
From the sheer face of love We're falling from
Like a fly from a wall the sky...tonight
It's no secret at all

It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
The universe exploded 'cause of one man's lie
Look, I gotta go, yeah I'm running outta change
There's a lot of things, if I could I'd rearrange

.............................................................................................

first time played live: 1992-02-29: Lakeland Arena, Lakeland, Florida
last time played live: 2005-08-14: Estadio Jose Alvalade, Lisbon, Portugal

This song has been played at least 289 times live (either as full song or snippet).

..................................................................................

To me "The Fly" is the ULTIMATE mega super star rock`n´roller pimp.

Why, do you ask?

Because HE IS JUST SOOOOOoooooo Fly!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom