Calling all ffnet readers! Help needed with petition!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Babyface
I'm sure you'll all be aware that ffnet have removed our beloved U2 fanfiction. In fact, they've removed ALL Music Groups. I have taken it upon myself to send them an email of complaint, a copy of which I will include below:

/////Dear fanfiction.net,

I would like to register my disappointment at the way that the staff of fanfiction.net have deemed it necessary to remove entire sections from the fanfiction website.

I had visited the website on the 11th of September and found that the site would remain closed as a mark of respect for the victims of 9/11 2001, something which I absolutely respect and of course, do not criticise. However, on returning to the site on today, the 13th, I was shocked, if not horrified, to find that the Music Groups categories had been removed.

Of course, I understand that some people may have found fiction written about real people disagreeable, and that complaints must be taken into account. However, I do feel that, as with all fanfiction stories, no reader is forced to read stories they do not agree with. It is perfectly obvious that categories entitled 'Music Groups' will contain stories about real people, and as with genres and topics of a possibly disagreeable content such as slash, it is purely voluntary to read these stories. Only those wishing to read will do. Therefore, it is my personal view that stories about Music Groups were, on the most part, inoffensive and were merely a way for fans to register their love of their favourite musical stars.

As with every category on fanfiction.net, offensive and abusive stories will always be written by a small minority. If these rare stories are the reason for the removal of the Music Groups (and other real-life) categories, it is a gross injustice to punish the well-behaved majority because of a small minority of authors who flout the rules.

However, I do obviously understand that if any complaints have been received from the subjects of these fandoms (for instance, from bands annoyed with the stories written about them), then the category concerning that band should be removed, as no offence to bands or persons contained in the stories is intended by the majority of fans. But, surely complaints could not have been received from all the groups written about.

If, however, it was absolutely necessary to remove all Music Group categories (and other real life categories), would it not have been slightly more respectful to the authors and readers who have contributed to these categories to post a wanring before simply removing these categories?

These categories have, obviously already been removed, but would it be possible for you to provide more information about whether the stories featured have been deleted or not?

I have been involved with fanfiction.net (whether as a reader or an author) for two years, and when I first discovered the site, I believed I had found the one site on the internet where one could write fiction and 'unleash' one's imagination without being controlled and dictated to. However, I have witnessed respectable (nay, brilliant) authors being dismissed for minor offences, authors being charged for bringing fanfiction to the world, and more and more rules and regulations imposed. I was under the impression that freedom of speech and enjoyment were some of the key principles behind fanfiction.net. I was obviously wrong.

This is a very poor way to repay the dedication and loyalty of thousands of authors and readers.

With respect,
Hannah Thomas (author names; Elentari, Sparky and The Fly, Matrix14) /////

I will also be organising a petition to restore the Music Groups fanfiction. Even if not to restore the category, to make fanfiction.net aware of how angry we are.

Anyone wishing to comment or be included in the petition, please reply.

DAMN FANFICTION!!!

How DARE they take away the music section of that site....and Especially U2's section !!!! THOSE BLEEDIN' NO GOOD SORRY ARSE WANKERS!! :angry:
:rant: :rant: :mad:

:censored: *rest of what she'd like to say needs to be censored....where's Jerry Springer's beeps for cursing when ya need them hehe*

the only reason i ever went to fanfiction is to read the music section! ....and maybe on some rare occassions the anime one but that was never any good. we do need to start a petition to bring back our beloved music section!

A World Without Music Is Too Horrible To Even Think Of!!

:scream: :rant: :mad: :angry: :madspit: :yell: :grumpy: :banghead:

Can ya tell I'm a little pissed off about that decision?

Seriously, I am really ticked off about that site's decision to do that, too. There's been some really good fanfiction on there, damnit! I want the music groups section back, too-I'll gladly support this petition.

I also signed a petition to bring back the NC-17 stories from any of the sections out there that had been banned from that site. If those kinds of stories bother someone, they don't have to read them. And if someone under the age of 17 stumbled across one and read it...it won't kill anyone, and as long as the kid was mature enough to handle the subject matter...*shrugs*-I like to refer to the people who got rid of the NC-17 stories as the Tipper Gores of reading...and that's not a compliment.

Anyway, so yeah...BRING BACK THE MUSIC GROUPS SECTION, FANFICTION.NET! Pleeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeeee?????

Angela

No amount of petitioning is going to get the Music Groups section back on ff.n. It was a decision made by Xing (ff.n's webmaster) in response to a few overzealous complainers, and it actually benefits him because it frees up a heck of a lot of space on his server. Plus now ff.n looks acceptable to the parents of the ten-year-olds who post Harry Potter fic.

So don't hold your breath, guys.

Instead (begin shameless plug), if you have U2 slash fic, send it to me at izzybeth @ loveisblindness.net and I'll archive it for you at http://www.loveisblindness.net . It's censor-free (all I do is post a rating), and I accept everything, as long as it's slash and *finished.* I do not post unfinished fic, sorry.

As far as an alternative goes, I think it's pretty good. But then I might be a little biased. ^_^

Why... ?

I wasn't angry when I got the bad news, just very upset, but Izzy, those "overzealous complainers" you mentioned can take their pissy, closeminded attitudes and e-mails and shove it!!

If ff.net gets rid of the Music Groups and other sections based on real people, they will lose a lot of traffic, and already they're struggling. I know that I will not go back to ff.net if they carry out this decision, not for Cowboy Bebop, not for Gundam W, not for Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. After this, I'm just glad I never donated to them.

But speaking of donations, couldn't we somehow get Xing to keep the sections by giving him money? If not, I'm in full support of Izzy's decision to archive fics. I'm saving copies of U2 fics from my links on ff.net right now.

Back
Top Bottom