Bus Tragedy outside The Clarence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's Tart

Refugee
Not sure if this should be in here but as so many of us have been to Dublin and The Clarence I thought I would post.
It made my blood run cold .

2004-02-21 21:27

...this is so sad... - "Saturday February 21, 05:13 PM - Runaway bus kills five in Dublin - DUBLIN (Reuters) - A double-decker bus has mounted a pavement in central Dublin, killing five people and injuring nearly 20 others, seven of them seriously, police say. The bus, which was not carrying any passengers at the time, apparently went out of control, swerving onto the pavement and ploughing into a queue of people waiting to board another bus, a police spokesman said. The dead were three women and two men. A public transport spokeswoman said it was the worst accident in the history of Dublin Bus, which runs a fleet of 1,100 vehicles and carries half a million passengers a day. "We've never ever had anything on this scale before," spokeswoman Grainne Mackin told reporters. "We'll be carrying out a full investigation as soon as we can." The accident happened on Saturday beside Dublin's River Liffey, at a bus stop directly in front of the landmark Clarence Hotel, owned by members of Irish rock group U2. Most of those killed or injured had been waiting at the bus stop, Mackin said, adding that no children had been hurt. The drivers of both buses were taken to hospital. Several people were trapped under the bus until emergency crews arrived at the scene. Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, who arrived shortly after the accident to speak to fire and ambulance crews, described the scene as "terrible carnage" and "a dreadful sight", and offered his sympathies to the families of the dead and injured." - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040221/325/emlcz.html - God Bless all the victms!

I saw this on another site too. Really awful - and more creepy thinking that I've been in that exact spot!

i saw that on TV yesterday... i switch on the TV, and i put the news... and then, i saw the Clarence, i started shouting :crazy: but then, i realised something bad happened, with all the ambulances and everything... i first thought something happened to one of the band members (dunno why, i thought they were at the clarence, and something happened, so all the ambulances just in front :reject: ) and when i finally listened to what they said, i was like : :shocked: :sad: :sad: :hug: :hug: i passed there everytime, everytime i go to the Clarence, u have to pass though all these people queuing for the bus....
that's terrible, there are no words...:(

This is terrible. It's scary how quickly your life can just be taken away without warning. You really have to appreciate each day you have.
God bless these people and their families.:sad: :( :hug:

from atU2

Bono and Edge have offered their "deepest thoughts and sympathies" for the families of the victims of a tragic bus crash outside the Clarence Hotel in Dublin on Saturday. Five people died when two buses collided, sending one into a crowd of onlookers. Robert Vaneerde, General Manager of the Clarence, told Irish media that "Bono is abroad at the minute so I don't think he is aware of the accident, but when he hears his thoughts will be with the families of the dead and injured." A small sign expressing Bono and Edge's sympathies was later placed near the scene.

324.jpg

I agree completely with KristenF!

An unexpected tragedy such as this should reming us of HOW PRECIOUS EACH DAY IS and how we should do ALL we can to make each moment meaningful....to turn our lives into a prayer.:heart:

I send thoughts of wholeness and healing to all the families involved in this sad occurence. I hope they will know that the ENTIRE U2 COMMUNITY is with them in Spirit at such a solemn time.

And let us send out those same Healing and Loving wishes to ALL those who work at the Clarence with special wishes going out to U2 themselves! :yes:

Blessings to All!:heart:

Back
Top Bottom