Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and the Fifth Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kx

Babyface
hey guys, i have two questions:

1. Are Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno considered to be part of the band U2?

2. I read somewhere that when U2 first started out, there was a fifth guy in the band, but he never really stuck. In fact he was out even before U2 got their first hit (i think)? Is that true? and What is his name?

Thanks!

~Kx

The fifth member was Edge's brother, Dik. I am not sure how long he lasted, but yeah, he was gone before the band were named U2. Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Dik! poor guy. what a name! :eyebrow:
so why'd he quit. anyone know?

but Brian and Daniel play keyboard and loops all the time right? and various other instruments too.
they started producing only after Achtung right?

Dik went to the first U2, then called Feedback and later The Hype, rehearsal with his brother Dave and played a little with them - with their self-made electric guitar.

He then changed the bands and went to the Virgin Prunes, another (if I may add) GREAT band and stayed with them till 1984.

(*turns the thread into a gav-tribute thread :evil: *)

This is Dik Evans and Mr. Gavin Friday, the lead singer and best friend of Bono. And he's a----HOTTTTT....:drool: guy.
26e4b5b5.jpg

Here's the entire band, Dik is the long-haired guy.
90071d3c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot about Danny and Brian.

Yes, they do play varoious instruments.

Brian was actually the keyboarded in a band before he started producing himself. He was a real posh/strange guy back them. :ohmy:
brian01.bmp

Daniel is a solo artist as well besides being producer.

But besidest this: They helped U2 produce their 1984 album The Unforgettable Fire, so that was before AB.

hmm... so Gavin Friday, i.e. lead singer of Virgin Prunes, is Bono's best friend? and The Edge's brother played in that band! very interesting!!

so where does Dik play now?

.....you want more pics of that brother-band of U2? :wink:

May I present: THE VIRGIN PRUNES!

*directs your view on the guy with the too big sweatshirt and skirt, GAVIN* Dik is holding the umbrella.
PRUNES.jpg

HERE is Gav again :drool: stretched against that tree
5715d24e.jpg

Again, we can see Gavin...and Dik standing
ffd1b19c.jpg

this is Bono's friend (although I prefer to say that Bono is Gavin's friend and is just famous because of that :wink: ) as a young hot lad
AWW.jpg

and nowadays still young and hot and laddy :drool:
11.jpg

Last edited:
lol! neat pics! must hear this band once. any suggestions on their best songs? just a couple will do!

and allow me to assume that you are one gal who's crazy about Gavin!

Dik what does he do now...?

He played in the VP (like I said lol) from 1977 to 1984, but he also appeared on some other LPs afterwards:

The Prunes? ?Lite Fantastik? LP
Stano?s ?Only? EP
The Screech Owls? ?Desert? EP
Daniel Figgis? ?Skipper? LP

And he formed a band called The Screech Owls

Formed/joined by Dik. Lead singer is Debbie Skhow.
Desert/Hey Toreador (Girl Records, OWL1)
Desert, Hey Toreador

Dik was also involved in writing their second single, but had left the band by the time it was released.

The Virgin Prunes changed their name into the Prunes when Guggi (the second best friend of Bono, those three - Gav, Guggi and B - know eachother since tehir childhood when they grew up in the same road).

Anything else about the VP? :D I think I can be called an expert on that matter. :angel:

Kx said:

and allow me to assume that you are one gal who's crazy about Gavin!
:combust: Thank you, I feel honoured.

Songs of them....:hmm:....their stuff is hard to get, almost everything was released on LPs (and I am proud to say that I own a humble collection of the LPs :D) but if you go to Kazaa and search for the Virgin Prunes you might find something....just listen to whatever you find, their music isn't anybody's taste, but it's great. It was rather the background music for their theatrical things. Guggi and Gavin did theatre almost on stage and sang and their other friends played the instruments. So sometimes it just might sound like car crashes ( :laugh: ) but mmost songs have vocals, so everything you find will do. :)

erhm :rolleyes:

Guggi in the miniskirt and Gavin
f426a2a9.jpg

Here's your Dik again
f89202a3.jpg

And my Gav :D :drool:
d5742193.jpg

okay, that's enogh of boycotting your thread (although there is NEVER enough Gavinism :drool: )

I just remembered something...

I was shopping at Walmart, looking at cds, when I saw the U2 section. Naturally I looked and on the plastic card that said U2 was a listing of all the band members names and Dick Evans was among the names listed. I smiled. :)

ok firstly FallenStar... that's not "MY Dik" (no pun intended) :p

and are u sure its "dik" and not "dick" evans??

fah said:
I just remembered something...

I was shopping at Walmart, looking at cds, when I saw the U2 section. Naturally I looked and on the plastic card that said U2 was a listing of all the band members names and Dick Evans was among the names listed. I smiled. :)
:ohmy: Were there any rare CDs?

Kx said:

I looked up your profile and you're male, so.....

and it's still your Dik. :laugh:

No, it is Dik. Dik and Dave Evans...

you aren't a premium member, that's why you can't view it. Anything you wanted to know? :sexywink:;)

What doy ou want to do against the fact that he is yours no matter what you say? :evil:

Two thoughts come to mind reading this thread...

1. Gav has got the most incredibly gorgeous facial structure-cheekbones, jawline, nose...very nice! :drool:

2. Edge definitely got the looks in the family!:ohmy:

:lmao: Don't forget the plastic card! :silent:

edgespet, Gav REALLY has the most divine nose on earth....might I be able to turn you into a Gav girl? :flirt:

FallingStar said:

And my Gav :D :drool:
d5742193.jpg

okay, that's enogh of boycotting your thread (although there is NEVER enough Gavinism :drool: )

is it just me ... or Is there a striking Elvis resemblence here!! wow!

FallingStar said:
.....you want more pics of that brother-band of U2? :wink:

May I present: THE VIRGIN PRUNES!

*directs your view on the guy with the too big sweatshirt and skirt, GAVIN* Dik is holding the umbrella.
PRUNES.jpg

HERE is Gav again :drool: stretched against that tree
5715d24e.jpg

Again, we can see Gavin...and Dik standing
ffd1b19c.jpg

this is Bono's friend (although I prefer to say that Bono is Gavin's friend and is just famous because of that :wink: ) as a young hot lad
AWW.jpg

and nowadays still young and hot and laddy :drool:
11.jpg

Yeah! Give me more Gavin! More More! :D

Kx said:

I'm sure the spelling of "Dik" was his probably just his Lypton Village name. He probably spelled it Dick first. I've seen a lot of interviews where he is referred to as Edge's brother Richard. :shrug: Who know what he goes by these days and how he spells it....

Back
Top Bottom