Breakfast On Pluto - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
War Child

Location: Bowie was right! There IS life on Mars! Well, Newcastle's near enough
Local Time: 11:43 AM
Breakfast On Pluto

I borrowed this off my friend, being a fan of Cillian Murphy, and I've watched it twice now. It's brilliant! For those who haven't seen it, go and watch it, damn it! Gavin Friday's performance was great, and just wow. I love the soundtrack too. Go and watch it now!!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:43 AM
AMEN! I LOVE this movie!!! I've lost track of the number of times I've seen it now...I loved it so much that I went to see it TWICE when I was on vacation! Great cast. Bryan "Mr. Silky String" Ferry is fabulous!!!

Go, shoo...go rent this immediately!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
War Child

I am yet to watch the extra features, but I shall do. THEN I'll give it back to me mate. Muahaha! I thought Brendan Gleeson was mint. And Liam Neeson. But of course, Cillian Murphy was great. As I've said already. Now, we pester you: GO WATCH THE FILM!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

So, I watched this again after I posted and it just gets better and better. This movie appeals to me on EVERY level. It's sad, it's funny, it's...terrific! Okay, I'll try not to gush anymore. Just to say Cillian Murphy is ace! He should *at least* have won the Golden Globe. Hmph!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:43 AM
I watched it last week. The Stephen Rea and Gavin Friday scenes are amazing. I wish the Gavin Friday song (the first one where he performs with the band) was on the soundtrack.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:43 AM
I'm getting it for my birthday in 9 days! I can't wait. I had no idea so many of these great actors you have mentioned were all in it!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
War Child

I watched the extra features now, and I wanted the documentary to go on for a bit longer. My mate said that it should have before I saw it, and then I saw it, I completely agreed. I thought it was amusing when Cillian was being interviewed when he was all dressed up, but he had his low voice on, so yes, it were mintass.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
The Fly

Breakfast on Pluto is brilliant. Watched it three times since I got it, and stilled amazed each time I watch it.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Siren
I wish the Gavin Friday song (the first one where he performs with the band) was on the soundtrack.
That's the only thing that kept me from buying the soundtrack. It could have been so much better! (The soundtrack they put out...NOT Gavin's song, which was great.)

geegeelovesadam!
Yay, another BoP fan...I keep getting more things out of it every time I see it...do you find that too?

Oh, I said I was gonna shut up about this movie. Well, "liar!"
Old 06-24-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono Mot

geegeelovesadam!
Yay, another BoP fan...I keep getting more things out of it every time I see it...do you find that too?

Oh, I said I was gonna shut up about this movie. Well, "liar!"
Yeah, I pick up on more and more each time. It wows me how much there is to this movie, yet it doesn't feel overwhelming when you watch it.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:20 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Exactly! It seems like it would be a bit of fluff, but then you get into it and you're like "wow." But it leaves you with a good feeling...uh, unlike quite a few of Neil Jordan's films. Which I really like, but some of them leave me in a funk for days! BoP is really just a great film...too bad it didn't reach a wider audience.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
The Fly

It really didn't get the attention it deserved. Although I understand that there isn't much of a market for films about Irish transvestites in the U.S., I still think that with a wee bit more advertising it would've drawn in a bigger audience.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes, everyone here that I told about it (and dragged to see it!) ended up just loving it...uh, except my husband. I think "TransAmerica" overshadowed it, although I found Cillian's performace at least (if not more) touching than Felicity Huffman's. Just my opinion.

Another thing that annoyed me was that even at the independent theaters around here, BoP was only on one week...hardly time to have word spread about it and get people to go see it.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
The Fly

I couldn't find it in any theaters here, not even independant ones, which I thought was odd considering that I live in the Los Angeles area.

I ended up just buying it from Suncoast after finding it filed under "Breakfast Club" (they really aren't that organized).
Old 06-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by geegeelovesadam
It really didn't get the attention it deserved. Although I understand that there isn't much of a market for films about Irish transvestites in the U.S., I still think that with a wee bit more advertising it would've drawn in a bigger audience.
There's not much of a market in the States for films about Australian transvestites either, but I was fortunate enough to stumble upon "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" years ago & adore the film. I'm assuming that "Pluto" follows the same lines?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:50 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wow, I haven't seen "Pricilla..." in years! Thanks for reminding me of that one. I loved that movie too. I think if you liked that one, you'll like BoP. The struggle to keep one's individuality is a common theme in both of them. And there's also the fashion!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thanks.... I'll have to have a screening party for BoP, then!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

I just watched BOP finally and I loved it! Gavin was great! And Cillian was amazing. (1st time for me to see him in something that he wasn't scarey) I really liked it
Old 07-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^^ Yay! I thought you'd like it! It's a movie that really grows on you too, so watch it again...several times, even!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Absolutely thumbs up. Cillian Murphy's amazing, and Gavin was........well, he was Gavin. What else needs to be said?