Boston Elevation - Larry Says No Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird

War Child
Totally Random. Maybe its been discussed already but I can't find anything.

While I am a Larry Girl, there is no room in an NYC apartment for a drum kit but I am learning to play guitar; as such I'm watching DVDs to see Edge's fingering blah blah blah.. now back to Larry.... I never noticed that during Desire on the Boston Elevation DVD Larry is intently looking into the crowd and shaking his head "no" :no: goes on for a while... so, what's he looking at? Fan with a "Smile Larry" sign? Sign requesting his drumsticks (worked for me)? Who was there and has a clue... just curious...

they filmed the DVD on the day of the 'boston protest' (when a bunch of fans sat down in the heart during the show, to protest the fact that the GA line was not honored). look at the back of the heart during the first couple of songs, you'll see that a big chunk of people are sitting. the band definitely noticed the protest, and i've heard that larry's look of disgust during 'desire' is aimed at the protesting fans. that could just be a rumor though... (i wasn't there, so have no firsthand knowledge) :shrug:

Ok, now I remember that... thanks

can you imagine being that silly if you were the ellipse... crazy...

*Ally* said:
they filmed the DVD on the day of the 'boston protest' (when a bunch of fans sat down in the heart during the show, to protest the fact that the GA line was not honored). look at the back of the heart during the first couple of songs, you'll see that a big chunk of people are sitting. the band definitely noticed the protest, and i've heard that larry's look of disgust during 'desire' is aimed at the protesting fans. that could just be a rumor though... (i wasn't there, so have no firsthand knowledge) :shrug:

can you explain what a ga line is is:reject:
dont know what that is:wink:

Originally posted by linny82
can you explain what a ga line is is :reject:
dont know what that is :wink:
A GA line is the line of people for General Admission tickets(people who stand at a concert on the floor), I believe. If I'm missing anything someone else will fill you in :)

Last edited:
I like how he ignored whoever he was headshaking at the rest of the time they weryre there. Kind of angled himself away from them.

Bono mentioned the protest in an interview that I heard a while ago. He was saying how hard their fans can be on them and that they had a sit-down strike while they were filming a show.

That's really silly of the fans to sit down that way. I don't know the story of how the GA line was messed up, but I know how frustrating it is to sleep out all night and sit there all day, and then people cut in line or dart in front of you to the rail, but to sit down and protest that way ruins the entire show for you. Once you're in there, to intentionally take yourself out of the moment that way is a disservice to yourself, and a waste of your money and time.

Achtung_Meggie said:
That's really silly of the fans to sit down that way. I don't know the story of how the GA line was messed up, but I know how frustrating it is to sleep out all night and sit there all day, and then people cut in line or dart in front of you to the rail, but to sit down and protest that way ruins the entire show for you. Once you're in there, to intentionally take yourself out of the moment that way is a disservice to yourself, and a waste of your money and time.

I think the story is that the people sat down were in line first, and should have been inside the heart. Since they were filming, I suppose management wanted 'younger' and more 'energetic' fans in the heart. Which is why they were pissed, understandably.

Souly said:

I think the story is that the people sat down were in line first, and should have been inside the heart. Since they were filming, I suppose management wanted 'younger' and more 'energetic' fans in the heart. Which is why they were pissed, understandably.

It's still ruining the concert for you, when you could still enjoy yourself. To wait in line all that time and then sit down for the show?

Souly said:

Since they were filming, I suppose management wanted 'younger' and more 'energetic' fans in the heart. Which is why they were pissed, understandably.

I think it was on the Chicago DVD that Paul McG said that these people had followed the tour around, and were *always* at the front of the heart, so they knew what was going to happen and it wasn't as spontaneous. For the filming, the band wanted people up front who could be surprised, and who could give the band that little push. According to Paul, that's why they used the lottery system on this tour.

I'm not saying I agree with their reasoning, though, as I have a couple of friends who were able to go to several Vertigo tours and for them every concert was as exciting as the last. I can't imagine them not giving energy and spontenaety to the band-- but I also can't imagine them sitting down in "protest" if they were asked to move back so newer people could be up front.

Achtung_Meggie said:

It's still ruining the concert for you, when you could still enjoy yourself. To wait in line all that time and then sit down for the show?

True.

I suppose they wanted to get a point across.

That was pathetic. there are countries where we would need a miracle to get to see u2 live at least once and these fools were acting like 10 year olds, and i bet many of them were over 30 and it wasn't even their first u2 concert that year.

antigone_ks said:

I think it was on the Chicago DVD that Paul McG said that these people had followed the tour around, and were *always* at the front of the heart, so they knew what was going to happen and it wasn't as spontaneous. For the filming, the band wanted people up front who could be surprised, and who could give the band that little push. According to Paul, that's why they used the lottery system on this tour.

I'm not saying I agree with their reasoning, though, as I have a couple of friends who were able to go to several Vertigo tours and for them every concert was as exciting as the last. I can't imagine them not giving energy and spontenaety to the band-- but I also can't imagine them sitting down in "protest" if they were asked to move back so newer people could be up front.

Well I really think that those fans who sat down were pretty selfish. They went to practically every show and were always up front. I don't think that's fair for the other fans who didn't have a chance to get up front.

U2Girl1978 said:

Well I really think that those fans who sat down were pretty selfish. They went to practically every show and were always up front. I don't think that's fair for the other fans who didn't have a chance to get up front.

yeah I can understand why the band did that and I dont get how the fans couldbe so childish! what's so surprising about being in there when you've seen it already 100 times? let somebody else have that fun and enjoy yourself at least!

Galeongirl said:

yeah I can understand why the band did that and I dont get how the fans couldbe so childish! what's so surprising about being in there when you've seen it already 100 times? let somebody else have that fun and enjoy yourself at least!

i haven't read about this in a while so my memory is slightly hazy about what i heard but here goes.

firstly, nobody knows that the specific fans who sat down had been to a hundred shows or even 2. i'm sure some of them had but i don't know about all of them?

and personally, if i had been queuing overnight and i watched security walk straight past me, pluck random people who had been in line for a couple of hours at the most and take them into the arena to give them front row, so that when i walked in the front rows of the heart were already taken up, id be fcking pissed off.
apparently security even promised these people that no, the fans who had gone in weren't going to get special treatment... a blatant lie which is only going to anger people further.

would i sit down and make a protest of it?
probably not, but the fans were treated badly had complained repeatedly and were ignored so they reacted in the only way they knew would get a reaction/response. i do think the band need to be reminded every now and then that they can't get away with anything and everything.

as i say, i don't think i would have gone that far myself but had it happened to me, i would have been pretty upset about it too, and i dont think its fair at all.

Last edited:
I, for one, have always been treated very kindly by the Garden's security people. When I did GA back in October there they seemed like incredibly honorable and caring people. Of course, they probably have a different staff now, and maybe this "protest" thing is what spurred them to change their GA policy.... But it still always surprises me each time I hear about this. It surprises me even more to think that the "order" to have younger, more energetic (maybe good looking) fans up front could have come from someone in the U2 organization. It's really hard to believe that, and I honestly don't think that's the truth. But then again, why would Boston's security give a crap about filming a good DVD when all they want is a smooth transition of a line into the arena?

I don't know. But I think if Larry was showing displeasure to the fans who were sitting then he's completely justified. To take that out on the band, that's just selfish and... friggin' stupid. I'd never in my life think of doing that. If I didn't have front row then I'd still be out of my mind happy with being in the heart! It's not the band's fault there were discriminatory policies used to choose who got the front.:mad:

Urgh. Sorry. It's just everytime I watch the Boston DVD it's semi-ruined when I think about the jerks who felt a need to detract from everyone else's good time just to get a point across.:tsk:

an_cat said:
But it still always surprises me each time I hear about this. It surprises me even more to think that the "order" to have younger, more energetic (maybe good looking) fans up front could have come from someone in the U2 organization. It's really hard to believe that, and I honestly don't think that's the truth.

Paul didn't say they were looking for younger or more energetic fans, just that they wanted *new* fans, people who weren't used to the show.

However, given that on the Elevation Tour every show had been first come/first served as to the heart, for them to change it without notice was a bit... well, if it'd been me passed over at the front of the line I'd have been a bit annoyed. But I doubt it would have ruined the evening for me and I certainly wouldn't have sat down and made a spectacle of myself. But then I avoid making spectacles of myself in general, except on message boards :p

whatever happened...going out of the heart/the first line, dunno, I wouldn't sit down because of that.
It'd ruin the whole concert for you :eyebrow: , like achtung_meggie said..

u2shamrock said:

A GA line is the line of people for General Admission tickets(people who stand at a concert on the floor), I believe. If I'm missing anything someone else will fill you in :)

ooo thanks for explaining,now I get it:hug:

I can't imagine them not giving energy and spontenaety to the band-- but I also can't imagine them sitting down in "protest" if they were asked to move back so newer people could be up front.

And here the nail was hit upon the head. The band never ASKED anyone to move. They simply manipulated and treated the fans, who were following the rules that the band enacted to begin with -- "first come/first served" -- with a complete lack of respect or regard.

First of all, the first two girls on the queue had driven to Boston from Alabama and the show was going to be their first and only show on the tour. The next two girls on the queue were from Los Angeles and had seen the shows at the Pond in Anaheim over a month earlier, but no other shows.

There was ONE, count him ONE, person who was following the entire tour around... a guy named Christian. There was another girl named Amy who went to many shows, but not all, and she often sold posters for the tour merchandisers in order to finance her travels, so she missed half of the show anyway. And she was never in the front rows.

There was another handful of us that went to a number of shows. At that point I'd been to approx 10 shows, and by the end of the tour I'd gone to about 20-22 shows. Out of a tour of 115 shows... going to 20 is hardly "following the tour to every city." On top of that, going to 20 shows or so was something that many fans had done many tours in the past (myself included). And we were never criticized for it in the past, nor made to feel anything but welcome. So now that the band decided to change their minds and attitudes, their most loyal customers are supposed to read their minds?

The tour was 10 weeks old at the point of the Boston DVD shows. And up through that point every single show's G.A. line had followed standard G.A. procedures... first in line is first in the door. Period. Then 10 weeks into the tour, and on arguably the most important night of the tour, the band (and yes, it came directly from the band, I have had more than one conversation with Bono about this) decides to change the rules without any notice and without any show of respect for the human beings who had already lined up for close to an entire day. No notice was posted at the front of the line that said "usual G.A. procedures will not be followed tonight, so queue at your own risk." No message was posted at the band's website. Bono & U2's staff has access to the email addresses and cellphone numbers of several of the longtime/multi-show fans. And yet no attempt to communicate with us like adults, like human beings, LIKE PAYING CUSTOMERS, was made. Instead they made a decision to simply disrespect and manipulate. Period.

Most of the people who sat down that night weren't even the people who were the first 75-100 people on the queue (who were the ones who were most "injured" by the disrespectful decisions made by the band). I never queued for long anymore at that point. I think I was about 275 on the line that day, I didn't bother to get in line until about 3pm and that was mostly just to hang out with other fans. But you can bet your sweet arse that I was one of the people who sat down -- because I was supporting the people who'd been treated so poorly, the people who were paying the band's wages.

I've had dinner with Bono, I've had drinks and lengthy conversations with Bono. He could very easily have grabbed hold of me, or called my cellphone or emailed any other fan he knows by name and said "Listen we are having some concerns on this tour from seeing the same people up front at too many shows. Do you think you could spread the word to please let the local fans have all of the close spots and those who go to lots of shows stand back at most of the shows?" But that never happened. Instead the fans were treated no better than cattle, manipulated ~ thwarted, in fact ~ and had the rug pulled out from under them by the very persons they were patronizing, respecting and showing great affection toward. That is CRUEL on the band's behalf, if you ask me.

Bono expressed his surprise in that inteview that was mentioned on here, for the fact that it was the night of the filming that the sit-down took place. Hey, THEY chose the night to screw over the fans, not us. It's not like we sat around for a few weeks and plotted to screw up their filming. They picked the night to bend people over and give it to him up the backside. If you screw people over, they are going to react, and people who feel empathy for them are going to react on their behalf. Period. The fans didn't choose the night of the filming. The band chose the night of the filming.

And yes, what was mentioned on here by one poster was true. To add insult to injury, after people who had barely waited an hour or two were plucked from the rear of the line and taken into the building in front of the people at the front of the line, who'd queued 22 hours, and placed all along the first row to two rows deep along the heart, the band's security told the people in front, while still outside, that those who'd just been taken inside were only being used as volunteers to help the film crew focus the lights. They were told those people from the back and middle of the line were NOT going to be inside when the doors opened officially. When, in fact, those people were all along the front rows all along the heart when the doors opened officially. And further than that, when those who were at the front of the line learned that those taken in early were inside and taking up the spots they had queued for, they were told if they didn't "shut up" they would be taken out of line and thrown out of the Fleet Center altogether.

I am surprised that more people don't see the real irony in this situation. This has GOT to be the only business in the world where the best, most frequent customers are treated the poorest, and one-time buyers are given more respect and even priority. Airlines have frequent flyer programs, grocery stores have preferred customer cards, credit cards have cash back programs. And U2 put together a "get to the back of the line jackass!" program. Is there not something wrong with this picture?

*Ally* said:
look at the back of the heart during the first couple of songs, you'll see that a big chunk of people are sitting.

Where on the DVD can you actually see the fans sitting down?

I noticed that at the beginning of Beautiful Day you can see Bono gesturing towards some fans and saying "come on" away from the mic, which I assume is towards those sitting down. And than he does it again after the line "you love this town". But, if I remember correctly didn't he do that during the same song at Live8? I'd check myself but I've lost that file on my computer.

GracelandHarley said:
Well, as long as you're not carrying a grudge.

:huh: :yikes:

Yeah....... Phew!

:ohmy:

But can I ask this question?

The jackass who threw something at Bono during Sunday Bloody Sunday... Was that part of this "protest"? Because if it was then yeah. There's something wrong with that picture.:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom