Bono's tribute on ET!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

*Stormy*

I just heard ET WILL show Bono's Love Rocks tribute NOW on my channel, check yours!!

Okay I just saw it- they showed a little of Bono, there was a cute scene of him handing flowers to Ali, then they talk to him for about 10 seconds and he says he loves this town (LA) They show him getting up to accept the award. Unfortunately, most of the report focused on Cher and Tom Cruise instead. Then they spoke to a lot of people connected with the medical research thing. They showed all those comedians and other stars. It's worth watching and taping of course, but it seemed Bono was not focused on nearly enough, it was HIS night! Watch it if you get the chance.

They should air that WHOLE THING....

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

Originally posted by WildHonee:
They should air that WHOLE THING....

Hell yeah!
biggrin.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Sometimes you have to appreciate west coast delays, this is one of those times.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Alert! My Access Hollywood is coming on right now and he will be on it! Watch out for yours!

I really wished ET would stop focusing all their attention on Tom and Penelope. It really bothers me. They hardly spent any time on Bono.
mad.gif
Oh well, the little time they did spend on him was great. Bono looked happy and it was cute of him to give the flowers that a fan gave him to Ali.
smile.gif

How was Access Hollywood's report?

Access Hollywood was totally different footage. It showed Tom and Spacey introducing him and saying good things about him, and it had different interview footage of Bono but not much. This report was not as long as ET's but probably had more Bono!

I hate ET. But at least they showed a little bit with Bono.

Kevin Spacey's Clinton impersenation was hilarious. I love Kevin.
smile.gif

------------------
"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

AAWWW DIDJA SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Bono gave flowers from a fan to Ali???!!!! Cuuuuute!!

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

YES HE WAS!!! (and trying to cover up)

but who the hell cares, GIMME MORE BONO!!!!!!

Loved seeing Bono smooching Ali LIVE (sorta) rather than just in pictures!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OMG, Pricess Margaret died???? (sorry, a newsflash they just showed) I didn't even hear...

Originally posted by martha:
Was Tom wearing BRACES!!???

Here's an inside account of the evening posted on Murmurs.com

REM, LA

Ethan Kaplan

REM and Cher, REM and Bono. The house goes wild and more stories from beyond the red carpet at the first annual Love Rocks

As one who has never been to an industry (and by "industry" I mean Hollywood/Los Angeles) function before, I prepared myself for anything. Meaning I arrived very early to the event in order to figure out what was going on.

After getting my tickets and passes from Will Call, I figured I should at least walk the red carpet to see what it's like. The event was staged at the brand new Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, at the corner of Hollywood and Highland. The complex is gorgeous, and it was pretty much taken over by the festivities of the evening.

I walked the red carpet, and no one in the press-pool even looked up. My sphere of influence is small, you see, but it glows strongly from within. It turns out the red carpet was fairly long and involved, with an elevator in the middle. Venturing up to the VIP reception in a very large hall, I put out the radar to see which celebrities I could find. Larry King and Michael Eisner. Not exciting in the least. The reception was fun, and at least the food was good.

Inside the venue, I spotted Fred Durst (a short man) and Heather Graham (her legs were taller than me). Inside the venue, I found my seats (very close to the front) among various Warner/Chappel and Warner Bros. folks, as well as some friends of Mike. After introductions, I took my seat and waited for the festivities to begin.

A band called Reese opened the show with a Valentine's Day song. The performance was adequate but uninteresting and kind of flat. However, it was only one song. As the loudspeaker said, "Ladies and gentlemen, from Entertainment Tonight?Mary Hart," the crowd went wild. Judging from the reactions of the people next to me, this was for the kitsch factor more than anything. Come on, Mary Hart? How 1980's celebrity gossip-mongering can you get?

Hart proceeded to introduce the night's events in dramatic, teleprompter, I-have-no-clue-what-I'm-saying fashion. I half expected her to say R.E.M. as one word and Bono like Sonny Bono. Following Hart was a presentation from Michael Eisner, who said he was "very excited" but provided no indication of it in his speaking.

The purpose of the night's events was to kick off the Entertainment Industry Foundation's efforts to combat cardiovascular disease, which is evidently the number one killer of United States (aka Fast Food Nation) citizens. The presentation outlined the purpose of the foundation and its efforts. Effectively done with slick production values.

Drew Carey followed the video, and as a non-fan of his show, I was surprised how funny he indeed was. Following his short bit, No Doubt came out. Their set consisted of "Hey Baby" from their latest record, a song from Tragic Kingdom, and a cover of U2's "Sweetest Thing." Gwen Stefani was glammed up, looking like Tank Girl combined with Colombian artist Shakira on acid. Before "Sweetest Thing," Gwen talked about Bono and Ali (his wife) a bit. I felt a duty as an Orange County native to support No Doubt, and fortunately their performance was great. Spirited, fun and mercifully free of "Don't Speak."

Ray Romano, from the US show "Everybody Loves Raymond" came out next and had the audience laughing at jokes mostly about the trials of marriage. Not being married, I managed to shine it on. A video presentation followed with Mick Jagger extolling the virtues of one Paul Hewson. He got big cheers as well.

Following the Mick, Lauryn Hill did a short acoustic set. I haven't purchased "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," but I might now. Her performance was brilliant, a soulful voice over sort of rough guitar playing. More confessional than anything, she got a rousing standing ovation following the conclusion of her set.

Kevin Nealon, who I had seen at the VIP party (exceedingly gigantic, I felt like a hobbit) entertained the crowd next. It was evident most of his jokes fell slightly flat. I blame Saturday Night Live for ruining his mojo. He did have a mildly funny bit with an imitation of a talk show, but the audience member he picked was not playing along.

Bill Clinton was next in a taped video presentation, talking about Bono's contributions to his administration and others. You can say what you want about Bono, but it is evident that he is at least trying to help things, even if his efforts can sometimes seem misguided and didactic. Kevin Spacey emerged when the video faded out and started talking in a dead-on impersonation of Clinton. The audience roared its approval before Spacey started talking about?.three guys from Georgia.

"This band was alternative before alternative was alternative. And by the reaction, I don't think you'll have any trouble figuring out who it is. Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to introduce REM."

The curtain went up and in all their stripped-down, four-piece glory were Athens finest, ripping into "Imitation of Life" with Townsend kicks from Peter, thumping bass from Mike and hand-gestures from Michael. The song actually works wonders as a four piece, since without the synth in the background, Peter's guitar has to keep both the top and bottom ends going. Distortion was significantly added to his Vox, while it sounded like a clean signal was holding the arpeggios out front. During the bridge, since there was no synth, he put on a flanger and reverb pedal, which sounded very interesting.

The song seemed extremely appropriate, given the audience was made up entirely of Hollywood industry types. A song about the frivolity of the accompaniments of that industry, sung to that industry. The irony was most likely lost, but it's the thought that counts. That's Hollywood indeed.

The lights faded and a solo spotlight shone on the bald pate of one Michael Stipe. He made a short speech about Bono, praising him as a great human being, a great "fashion plate" (so much so that Peter cops his outfits occasionally), and a good friend. The lights came up as REM launched straight into:

"I've Got You Babe."

After a collective "huh" from the audience, everyone began to sing along. The crowd didn't get to its feet until Michael motioned to the wings and who should emerge but Cher. Together, Michael Stipe and Cher, both of remarkably similar build, finished the song to the roaring approval of the audience.

Surprisingly, the kitschiness of the occasion was downplayed by the polished nature of the performance. Cher and Stipe harmonized nicely and the backing band of Waronker, Mills, and Buck kept the song going strong. However, the day will most likely never come again when Cher and Michael Stipe grace the stage, hand in hand.

Fast forward a bit to after the show, when I had the opportunity to speak to both Michael and Cher about the song. Stipe was saying that he didn't know it would happen until thirty minutes before the show. Cher elaborated that she had gotten a call (arranged by Julie, the "connector") that REM wanted to meet her backstage during soundcheck. Once she arrived, they asked her if she'd do "I've Got You Babe." They explained that they had covered it frequently as a young band and told her they even had video in the vaults somewhere of them rehearsing it. Cher had reservations, as she had never done the song without Sonny Bono. The tide was turned when Bono told her of an incident when Sonny Bono and him were in an elevator together and Sonny corrected Bono on the pronunciation of his name.

After that, Cher agreed to do it, and with nary a half-hour before show time, the surprise performance (nearly a surprise to the band) was arranged. Cher said after the show that she was a big REM fan and that "they are the sweetest bunch of guys in the business."

Following "I've Got You Babe," after which REM received one of their three standing ovations of the evening, they launched into a performance of "Losing My Religion." While I've heard this song live ad nauseam, the performance never ceases to be entertaining. This evening, it was enjoyable because the audience was singing along just as loud as the band. A lot of the younger Hollywood types in the front rows were up and dancing along to the song, which was nice to see. REM received another standing ovation as the last notes of "Religion" wound down.

The lights went dark and Tom Cruise emerged, accompanied by suddenly high-pitched squealing. He proceeded to give an eloquent and nice speech about Bono's efforts as a humanitarian before yielding the floor to Bono himself. Bono had a good speech prepared, if a little long. He is passionate about what he does, amidst the criticism from some, and it seems he's self-aware enough to know how it looks when a mega-rockstar engages in foreign policy initiatives.

REM's instruments were still set up on stage, and Dewitt could be seen tuning the guitars on the side, so it was evident the guys would do another song. I expected a U2 cover, and was pleasantly reassured by the opening notes of "One." REM sped the song up a bit and made it edgier, which was interesting. Michael's voice soared with it and, as I thought would happen, Bono entered from stage left and joined him on vocals. It was an inspiring performance and ended the night on an uplifting and cathartic note.

Much later that evening, I asked Michael how this fit into the last year of performances, which has seen them perform to 100,000 in Cologne, Germany, to eight people at the Museum of Radio and Television in Los Angeles, to crowds in Rio and Argentina. He said simply that the night really didn't have a parallel.

A wholly unique experience for certain. Agreed.

------------------
The interview hadn't even begun..... and suddenly we all noticed something very peculiar: Bono - is - taking - all - his - clothes - off. The white shirt went first, then his black suede boots, his socks, trousers, and briefs (black with white trim, possibly Calvin Klein, probably Marks & Spencer).
"Excuse me but why have you taken your clothes off, Bono?"
"For the same reason," interjected the Edge, answering on Bono's behalf, "that he's the lead singer. Because he's a rampant sex god with a huge ego."
"And a small willy," added Adam.

I have one thing to say to ET:

GET RID OF MARY HART FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!

There is NOTHING that chaps my hide more than someone who is the antithesis of HIP and cool, and yet tries desperately to be both. Mary was okay back when ET first started, but she's had her looooong 15 minutes. She's been on ET longer than anyone. She's past her prime. She's in desperate need of retiring.

And she might want to take Bob Goen with her and a couple others...

Frankly, I think ET needs a major overhaul...

AND JUST GIVE US MORE BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 02-16-2002).]

I don't care one way or the other about Mary Hart but I'd hate to see her gotten rid of just for being 'old' and 'past her prime' that's what that guy in Lilly's thread said about U2 and REM and it's not fair. Older people can be cool too but unfortunately Mary was NEVER cool LMAO! Bring back Dixie Whatley LOL!

I was also very disappointed in the cheesy coverage and the 1930's starstruck movie star crap instead of telling more on Bono, I mean he WAS the one being honored and they showed nothing of his speech or his singing!
I really don't even like ET or watch it, I only tuned in to see Bono. (what little of him there was!)

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-16-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom