Bono's son's name?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there at all the tradition in Ireland (catholics) to name the children after their godfather/godmother too?
I am named after my godparents so I have a male name thrown in there. And please don't ask me to post my entire name, i've always declined. ;) I was told that was catholic tradition in Belgium.

Did Elijah have godparents? Was Guggy one of them maybe? Just curious. I'm guessing the Hewson just named him after all these people they really respected and loved in a special way. That's quite the compliment for Eli.

thankyou said:
Is there at all the tradition in Ireland (catholics) to name the children after their godfather/godmother too?
I am named after my godparents so I have a male name thrown in there. And please don't ask me to post my entire name, i've always declined. ;) I was told that was catholic tradition in Belgium.

Did Elijah have godparents? Was Guggy one of them maybe? Just curious. I'm guessing the Hewson just named him after all these people they really respected and loved in a special way. That's quite the compliment for Eli.

Hi :wave:

It was tradition here to have three names (baby name + 2 godparent's names), but it is not so much used nowadays.

I think I was one of the first to have only one name lol.
My parents didn't like the idea to have their kids have to fill in 3 names on each and every legal document.
Now THAT's a tradition I did follow and give all my kids just the one name :)

About Eli, I do think Guggi is his godfather, as Bono is godfather to one of his boys too. In fact, I think Bono has many godchildren, Edge's eldest Hollie is also on of them.

I only have one name as well, so has my brother.

But most people I know have more than one name and I've always felt a bit sad because I wanted to have more names than one.

greety said:

Hi :wave:

It was tradition here to have three names (baby name + 2 godparent's names), but it is not so much used nowadays.

I think I was one of the first to have only one name lol.
My parents didn't like the idea to have their kids have to fill in 3 names on each and every legal document.
Now THAT's a tradition I did follow and give all my kids just the one name :)

About Eli, I do think Guggi is his godfather, as Bono is godfather to one of his boys too. In fact, I think Bono has many godchildren, Edge's eldest Hollie is also on of them.

Hello Greet!
Since i have lived in america, i only list my first and second name and never even mention my others. so i don't have any documents showing more than that fortunately!! And yep, the tradition died with my kids too. ;)

I wanted to mention too that i have a niece named Jordan, so around here it isn't uncommon to have the name used for either gender.

I think I read or saw somewhere that they named Elijah as they did because they thought he'd might be their only son so they used all the names they wanted to pay tribute to. Probably why John Abraham has the most traditional name of the bunch!:lol:

Pop Artist said:
I think I read or saw somewhere that they named Elijah as they did because they thought he'd might be their only son so they used all the names they wanted to pay tribute to. Probably why John Abraham has the most traditional name of the bunch!:lol:

interesting. also all the kids' names have bible connection.

last unicorn said:
No, I've read that as well, don't know where, though ... Lena is her second name.

I've never seen that before, but I've seen two other names reported. I have several times in the past seen Elizabeth given as her middle name. More recently, one of Bono's cousins did a familty tree and indicated that her middle name is Joy (which would make sense since that's her grandmother's name). I don't know which one is correct, but Lena is a completely new one for me, and I've got a good memory for totally useless information. :reject:

I really cannot remember where I read it, but I think it was on a U2 fan page in Bono's biography. The information could also be wrong, who knows.

The story with the family tree is interesting. Where did you get that from?

Jordan Joy would be nice.

Patricius in Eli's name has nothing to do with St Patrick.
Its after Patricia, the family housekeeper who died not too long before he was born.

biff said:

I've never seen that before, but I've seen two other names reported. I have several times in the past seen Elizabeth given as her middle name.

Yes....I've seen Elizabeth too as well, but can't for the life of me remember where...

biff said:

I've never seen that before, but I've seen two other names reported. I have several times in the past seen Elizabeth given as her middle name. More recently, one of Bono's cousins did a familty tree and indicated that her middle name is Joy (which would make sense since that's her grandmother's name). I don't know which one is correct, but Lena is a completely new one for me, and I've got a good memory for totally useless information. :reject:

Ya know, Jordan Joy makes sense because her family and friends cal her Jojo........JOrdan JOy......possibility.

I'm named after a medieval birth control device. True story.

(my name is Chasity, which is better than Chastity, and Microsoft can kiss my one T ass and quit telling me my name is misspelled!)

04-16-2008 08:15 PM -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard/read somewhere that Joy was Jordans middle name ...mabe I read it here in Interference

hmm maybe that explain her name on facebook profile
jordan joy

mayra said:
04-16-2008 08:15 PM -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard/read somewhere that Joy was Jordans middle name ...mabe I read it here in Interference

hmm maybe that explain her name on facebook profile
XXXX:censored:XXXX

I really don't think it's a good idea to be making public stuff like that about her personal facebook....too many creepy's out there who don't need encouragement! :wink:

Bono should hang his head in shame over his childs name? It is The Edge who's daughter is named Blue Angel! =O)

In that, it is their children and their choice... should we expect the names of the children of guys that go by "Bono" and "The Edge" to be normal children's names?

=O)

Back
Top Bottom