Bono's Smok'in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes he was told by doctors that his vocals cords could be severely damaged if he didn’t stop smoking. Thank God it never happened. I even think his voice is so much better now than it used to be during the Elevation tour.
This picture gives the creeps.:yikes:

06fa6204.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, smoking totally ruins your voice. i'm so glad bono stopped.
does anyone know if anyone of the other boys stopped too?

That picture is in Anton's book and it says:

"Bono's got some problems at this stage of the tour with his voice/throat, so on the flight he uses this apparatus to inhale some liquid based stuff to moisten and heal the throat. And he can't talk this way either..."

MattFromNYC said:
why the hell's he have to use that oxygen mask for?

It's not oxygen, it's saline mist, or nebulizer. I don't think it's specifically for smoking related issues (asthma, throat/chest/sinus infections, irritation, etc), though smoking doesn't help.

But didn’t the article that was in Q magazine a few months back describe Bono as smelling like cigarettes and coffee?

Has he really quit though??? Cuz we see him smoking cigars still. As well as the occasional cigg. He has prolly cut down and not quit altogether. We should all sign petitions for him to quit! :D

An article from a couple years ago:
U2 front man Bono has defied doctors orders and started smoking again -- in a bid to keep his voice sounding butch.

The star, who kicked the habit three years ago after a potentially career-ending sinus infection, this week claimed tobacco had given his singing a more masculine edge.

He told a specially-invited audience in New York he was surprised when listening to early U2 albums at how feminine he sounded.

"I thought I sounded like a girl at times," he admitted.

"That’s why I first started smoking cigars and putting my voice through reverb -- to try to make it sound better."

Bono, who has already curbed his drinking after discovering he is allergic to certain enzymes in wine, had struggled to quit smoking for years.

He picked up the habit in the 1990s, but was admitted to hospital during U2’s massive PopMart tour in 1997 after suffering persistent problems with his voice.

He underwent surgery on his nose, throat and ears at Dublin’s Blackrock Clinic to clear a blockage in his sinuses.

Doctors warned him at the time that smoking was likely to aggravate the complaint, saying that further infections could permanently damage his singing.

But the star stunned fans at a question and answer session at New York University last weekend by casually lighting up a cigar as he chatted about his career.

Under new legislation brought in by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg smoking is to be banned in bars and restaurants throughout the city from the end of the month.

Pals say Bono is well aware of the dangers of smoking and tries to limit himself to the odd cigar.

"He knows the risks, but it is a matter of personal choice.

At this point, he's either smoking, or he's not. Cutting back isn't doing him any good. My wish would be that he's quit altogether (including the social smoking of cigars), but my gut tells me there's no way.

Even though I don’t smoke and don’t like others too, I have to admit there is something I find comforting about people who smell like smoke. Strange I know. :reject:

pattip2000 said:
Even though I don’t smoke and don’t like others too, I have to admit there is something I find comforting about people who smell like smoke. Strange I know. :reject:

Same, to an extent. Maybe it's b/c it means they're not so clean and proper that they haven't been to "normal" places. Like whenever I'm with my dad now, since I haven't lived at home in so long I'm not used to the smell....he looks so dressed up and businessman-like, but smells just like coffee and smoke. Kinda brings you back down to earth or something...

Wasn't there an article in Mojo earlier this year (July perhaps?) that said he still smoked, but only one cig after every show that he knew he had off the next night?

Oka. Here it goes:

Dear Bono, Please stop the occasional smoke altogether. Forget the voice I want you to live a long and healthy life! We have actually been growing up and old together and I would like it to stay that way!:sad:

JCOSTER said:
Oka. Here it goes:

Dear Bono, Please stop the occasional smoke altogether. Forget the voice I want you to live a long and healthy life! We have actually been growing up and old together and I would like it to stay that way!:sad:

Perfect. In fact, you put it very nicely. At the moment, my mom and I are to the point of threatening my dad. You know how Bono finally admitted he was worried about throat cancer? Well, my dad had something like that (not cancer, but a huge tumor) and had to have a surgery that was supposed to ruin the nerves on the left side of his face. My dad, the lucky bastard that he is, came away with nothing more than a dent in his neck that sweats a lot. My principle had the same surgery, and he could never smile. Not to mention he died recently of a heart attack (he was in his 50s). Just think, a Bono that could never smile or move part of his mouth again... :(

It's beyond a debate over whether it looks cool or sexy to smoke....it's life or death. Like we tell me dad, if he's not willing to quit for himself, then at least think of the family and friends he'd leave behind, all b/c he didn't have time to quit :|

Actually, i'm sure i read somewhere that Bono needs oxygen when the band comes to Denver... and if you read the caption, it says something about Denver... so, i think it may be oxygen...

It IS kinda scary - his dad had cancer and he now is continuing a bad habit that can aggravate it. He knows very well it's bad, he's had problems because of it in the past, it is harmful to the very factor that made him famous - his voice - and he still does it and hasn't given up!! :|

What gives, Bono??? What's the idea here??? :madwife:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

At the moment, my mom and I are to the point of threatening my dad. ... Like we tell me dad, if he's not willing to quit for himself, then at least think of the family and friends he'd leave behind, all b/c he didn't have time to quit :|

My mother and I have tried that for ages and it never worked. Recently my dad has been having some really bad stomach problems and has been trying to quit but he just can’t do it. He says it’s stronger than himself. There’s nothing more I can do, just hope that nothing worse will happen.:|

Babydoll said:
It IS kinda scary - his dad had cancer and he now is continuing a bad habit that can aggravate it. He knows very well it's bad, he's had problems because of it in the past, it is harmful to the very factor that made him famous - his voice - and he still does it and hasn't given up!! :|

What gives, Bono??? What's the idea here??? :madwife:

Also, his mom. Three major factors in brain anuerysms: smoking, alcohol, family history.

Fuck

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Also, his mom. Three major factors in brain anuerysms: smoking, alcohol, family history.

Fuck

Yeah. And, being the smart man that he is, I am sure knows all of the risk factors. :mad:

:madwife: at Bono

Why are u still doing this???

LostAtMoon said:

My mother and I have tried that for ages and it never worked. Recently my dad has been having some really bad stomach problems and has been trying to quit but he just can’t do it. He says it’s stronger than himself. There’s nothing more I can do, just hope that nothing worse will happen.:|

:hug: I think my dad resists because he's embarassed of it now and feels like it shouldn't be so hard, but it is, so he just doesn't want to deal with it. All of his friends but one has quit, and the one that hasn't quit tries EVERY method of quitting that comes out, so it's not for lack of trying. I don't know what else it will take though, since taxes on ciggs have gone way up, he had the surgery on his throat, a small tumor cut from his back, and multiple bouts of pneumonia. Also, he's seen my grandpa (my mom's dad, not his) suffer through 4 massive heart attacks, the last one putting him in a coma, before he could quit.

ehrm...I think Bono knows the danger or whatever the doctors said to him. He's old and sane enough to estimate what's good for him and what not (well, I hope so).

Although there are some people around him who care for him and perhaps remember him what smoke does to his voice.
I don't think he wants to destroy his voice or life, the band..and so on.

Believe in Bono ^_^

phistolemon said:
ehrm...I think Bono knows the danger or whatever the doctors said to him. He's old and sane enough to estimate what's good for him and what not (well, I hope so).

Although there are some people around him who care for him and perhaps remember him what smoke does to his voice.
I don't think he wants to destroy his voice or life, the band..and so on.

Believe in Bono ^_^

Shhh... Don't give excuses as to why I don't have to go to Dublin!!

I remember I had a Bono screensaver from the POP era that had him smoking and when my mom saw it she freaked about Bono's influence on young kids like me................never mind the fact that he has one many awards for his tireless humanitaria work.......:eyebrow:

Babydoll said:
He told a specially-invited audience in New York he was surprised when listening to early U2 albums at how feminine he sounded.

"I thought I sounded like a girl at times," he admitted.

"That’s why I first started smoking cigars and putting my voice through reverb -- to try to make it sound better."

:no: Bono, you've NEVER sounded like a girl! You've ALWAYS had a strong, masculine voice! You didn't need to take up a life-threatening habit to "make it sound better"!

:sigh: The sad thing is, no amount of love or pleading will get a smoker to quit. He has to do it himself. I know that very well. My dad was a lifelong smoker until it finally killed him at 52. :(

I hope Bono (and the others) kick the habit before the habit kills them.

Back
Top Bottom