Bono's singing - is it just me or....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
hey girls, i was listening to my ATYCLB cd last night, and there is something so BEAUTIFUL about the way our man sings, especially songs like 'stuck' and 'walk on'.... i have just had a nasty break up with my boyfriend, and was soooo tempted to call him n say let's try it again, (when actually it's him who dumped me overnight) and then i hear bono singing 'and i know how it aches, ur heart it breaks, u can only take so much.... walk on, leave it behind'.... it was just such a lovely moment then when he kind of connected with me in a very personal way.
And then when he says 'it's just a moment, this time will pass" in 'stuck'.... that really helped me get over it a little wee bit more....
let's all write down when u2's songs have meant something personal to us? :)

PLEBA ROCKS!!

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle!"

Their ablitiy to put so much emotion in the songs is what I love most about U2. As an album, "Achtung Baby" means the most to me. It came out around the time my parents got divorced. Even though it wasn't me going through a break-up, songs like Love is Blindness and UTEOTW made me feel like my feelings about everything that was going on were okay, and normal. Especially since I grew up in a small Ohio town, where divorce was and still is rare. The line "What are we going to do now that it's all been said, no new ideas in the house and every book has been read" from Acrobat is also very powerful to me. There is a lot more, but this is what made me become a U2 fan for life.

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle!"
Is it bad that I think it's sexy for a man to say this?

Last edited:
Sexy for sure. :sexywink: It shows he knows women are strong and for the most part self sufficient. :yes: He has a great deal respect and a high opinion of women and it shows in his manner and in his lyrics. :cool: I don't know of too many women who wouldn't love that in a man :love:

sue4u2 said:
Sexy for sure. :sexywink: It shows he knows women are strong and for the most part self sufficient. :yes: He has a great deal respect and a high opinion of women and it shows in his manner and in his lyrics. :cool: I don't know of too many women who wouldn't love that in a man :love:

Absolutely.

agentmissa said:
My thoughts exactly. I use to use that on my yahoo name and the guys on my buddy list actually got upset over it.

lol, i did the same thing with my msn name and all the guys i know got upsept too

Yeah, there are definitely cases where I've felt that the lyrics have spoken to me in a very personal manner. I'm trying to get over a breakup the breakup from hell so um yeah.

Kite, the whole song, but especially the things he says before the song starts on the Boston DVD. And the line"I wonder what's gonna happen to you, You wonder what has happened to me." I won't speak to him, but I do wonder....

New York. "That's where I lost you... New York". Kinda eerie to listen to this one sometimes. The jerk left right after he got home from NYC. The first time I heard that line I was like, you gotta be kidding me. :madspit: :laugh:

Walk On, obvious. Yeah definitely the part about "and I know it aches". I like the Slane version, it's much more uplifting IMO.

Stuck In A Moment. Probably the most powerful one for me. It's very personal. :silent:

UTEOTW, "In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they learned to swim". That line makes me think a lot about the temptation (and ultimate futility) of alcohol.

Ugh, now I'm just rambling. Sorry. Nothing like spilling your guts on the forum eh! :eyebrow:

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:

yeah... I think that a man who respects women is a real man

neutral said:
Yeah, there are definitely cases where I've felt that the lyrics have spoken to me in a very personal manner. I'm trying to get over a breakup the breakup from hell so um yeah.

Kite, the whole song, but especially the things he says before the song starts on the Boston DVD. And the line"I wonder what's gonna happen to you, You wonder what has happened to me." I won't speak to him, but I do wonder....

New York. "That's where I lost you... New York". Kinda eerie to listen to this one sometimes. The jerk left right after he got home from NYC. The first time I heard that line I was like, you gotta be kidding me. :madspit: :laugh:

Walk On, obvious. Yeah definitely the part about "and I know it aches". I like the Slane version, it's much more uplifting IMO.

Stuck In A Moment. Probably the most powerful one for me. It's very personal. :silent:

UTEOTW, "In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they learned to swim". That line makes me think a lot about the temptation (and ultimate futility) of alcohol.

Ugh, now I'm just rambling. Sorry. Nothing like spilling your guts on the forum eh! :eyebrow:
Nope, nothing like it at all! So it's my turn. ;)

All those songs you mentioned have almost the same meanings for me; I fell in love with U2 around the same time I had a huge falling out with two of my best friends. I could go on forever about how the songs mirrored my feelings, but I won't.

I can't always listen to Stuck in a Moment because of that whole episode in my life and how it seems to keep happening in little ways. I love these lines:
I was unconscious, half asleep
The water is warm til you discover how deep
I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall
It's a long way down to nothing at all

:heart:

Muggsy said:
yeah... I think that a man who respects women is a real man

:yes:.

I agree wholeheartedly about the songs relating to people. I sit there hearing their songs, and I swear, it's like he got right in my head.

Some songs that have meant something to me:

"Stuck In A Moment"-helped me with a crush back in 11th grade. I was all sad 'cause he was graduating, and there was one verse in particular in that song that to me, seemed to say to not get myself all worked up over this. I needed to just go on with my life.

"Sunday, Bloody Sunday"-I used this at an anti-war rally last year. I totally related to the frustration he's expressing in the song (particularly in the live version of this song from the "Rattle & Hum" movie), wondering about how much longer we'd have to keep dealing with all these wars and everything.

"Peace On Earth"-again, relating to the frustration, calling out for help, wondering why people are only nice at certain times of the year and not others, wondering if peace would ever be a reality.

"Acrobat"-these two lines in particular stood out to me: "Yeah, I'd break bread and wine/If there was a church I could receive in", and "Wake Up, Dead Man"-just sums up perfectly my beliefs regarding religion.

"Kite"-the whole thing about leaving people behind and everything. I kinda relate it to my friends and I going our separate ways after high school here and everything, and I also relate it to when my grandma that I was really close to died years back (will have been 10 years ago next year).

Angela

wow, I thought I was the only one going through a break up. I feel much better now. (and, Babydoll, he dumped me overnight too, boys :madspit:) But yeah, U2 has helped me a lot.
There are songs that have a whole different meaning now. Songs that I had never really 'listened' to, in depth, are the ones I find myself listening to the whole time. I think about them, wonder about them and analyze them. so nerdy. haha. :reject:

When I Look At The World, "But without you it's no use, I can't see what you see". I miss him... hehe.

Wild Honey, the part that says "I know your garden is full but is there sweetness at all?" and then "What is soul? Love me, give me soul". Gosh. I keep thinking about those lyrics all the time.

So Cruel, 'cause he doesn't seem to care about what he has done, or all the good times we had. :rant:

WGRYWH, well... 'cause I can't stand the thought of him being with another woman :ohmy: :|

WOWY, 'cause even if I have him back, I know it'll hurt.

One... my, that song is the one that has the most personal meaning to me right now. It's just as if Bono had known about us. It's so perfect. It fits so well. I even wrote him a short note and included that song.. though it didn't make a lot of difference 'cause (a)he didn't answer back (b)doesn't talk to me :tsk: <i>whatever</i> :shrug:

Of course then there's always Stuck and Walk On to cheer me up! :heart:
I wish I could thank Bono personally!! :cute:

Alright I'll just shut up, 'cause it's such a looooooong post. But yeah, I needed to write this! :wink:

Last edited:
Schmeg said:

I can't always listen to Stuck in a Moment because of that whole episode in my life and how it seems to keep happening in little ways.

Same here, I really can't even listen to that song sometimes. Stuck is one of those U2 songs (along with One Tree Hill among others) that I kinda wish I had never learned what his inspiration for the song was, :( but at the same time it made it much more personal.

Can I spill my guts too?? I'm in the process of filing for a divorce from my husband of 14 years. He's been in jail in another state(a whole other very long, ugly story) for the last 10 months & I realized very shortly after it happened that this was not a man I wanted to spend the rest(or another moment) of my life with. Still, he's the father of my two children & it's scary to face the prospect of raising two boys alone. Anyway, Stuck In a Moment has become a really special song to me. The whole song touches me deeply, but the last lines seem written just for me...
And if the night runs over
And if the days won't last
And if your way should falter
Along this stony pass
It's just a moment, this time will pass

Thanks for letting me vent...this has been hitting me pretty hard since I've finally worked up the nerve to go through with it. Still haven't told him yet though.

Last edited:
Joha_U2 said:

But yeah, U2 has helped me a lot.
There are songs that have a whole different meaning now. Songs that I had never really 'listened' to, in depth, are the ones I find myself listening to the whole time. I think about them, wonder about them and analyze them. so nerdy. haha.

Same here, I've thought about most of ATYCLB and Achtung a lot lately. :reject: The songs have helped me a lot too. Like ylimeU2 said, it is nice when they make you feel like your feelings are ok.

I forgot, So Cruel is another personal one.

"I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted
It wasn't what you wanted"

I did, I gave him the :censored: world, for years, and it wasn't enough. It is very frustrating to feel so powerless. :banghead:

Well, walk on helped me a lot in the part of "hoome, I don't know where if I never had one.."
Well, it helped me a lot when I was watching my family break down.. my parents were fighting all the time, probably getting divorce, my brothers and sisters couldn't stand each other anymore, and I felt so sick and sad at home, that I just wanted to leave or stay in the street, when I realized that what I had it wasn't a home...

And also Kite helped me at that time...

this time is not gone yet... But Its just a time, It'll pass :sad:

Stuck in a Moment is a great song. Whenever things don't feel like they are going right for me at all, I've taking to saying to myself "It's just a moment, this time will pass." And the line is so right. No matter how bad things suck, it always does pass, and it's nice to have something to remind you of that.

Edgespet said:
Can I spill my guts too?? I'm in the process of filing for a divorce from my husband of 14 years. He's been in jail in another state(a whole other very long, ugly story) for the last 10 months & I realized very shortly after it happened that this was not a man I wanted to spend the rest(or another moment) of my life with. Still, he's the father of my two children & it's scary to face the prospect of raising two boys alone. Anyway, Stuck In a Moment has become a really special song to me. The whole song touches me deeply, but the last lines seem written just for me...
And if the night runs over
And if the days won't last
And if your way should falter
Along this stony pass
It's just a moment, this time will pass

Thanks for letting me vent...this has been hitting me pretty hard since I've finally worked up the nerve to go through with it. Still haven't told him yet though.

:hug: It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. Be strong, and I hope everything works out.

ylimeU2 said:

:hug: It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. Be strong, and I hope everything works out.

Thank you...i really appreciate the encouraging words. It means a lot. I "know" that I'm doing the right thing, but there's still doubts. It's nice to know that other people think so too. :hug: :hug:

Eep, I guess I'm the only one who thinks Stuck in a Moment is really sad. :|

"One" is such a good one, it's amazing. I'm listening to One/Unchained Melody today (I think it's from that ZooTV Sydney video :shrug: ). :faint: I have lost so much since I moved here, but my beautiful Mom has been my best friend and she's totally carried me through this, and I don't think she has any idea... I want to play One for her. :hmm:

:reject: geez U2 makes me sappy

neutral said:
my beautiful Mom has been my best friend and she's totally carried me through this, and I don't think she has any idea... I want to play One for her. :hmm:

:yes: You should! It's such a beautiful song... :cute:

Babydoll said:
i know how it aches, ur heart it breaks, u can only take so much.... walk on, leave it behind'....
:sad: :sad:
Song for my friend and I, I have tears in my eyes:(
I'm sorry about you and your bf breaking up

:hug: thanks, i'm trying hard to get over him since all my friends and family hated him, so i guess i'm a little relieved... but what's bad is that i found out he had been two timing me for the past 3 months and is now officially with this girl.... gosh! i feel terrible. :( :angry: i'm both sad and angry.

I hope you find a nice, charming, fit! fellow soon! That will soon make you get over him, you will be laughing! LOL

Babydoll said:
:hug: thanks, i'm trying hard to get over him since all my friends and family hated him, so i guess i'm a little relieved... but what's bad is that i found out he had been two timing me for the past 3 months and is now officially with this girl.... gosh! i feel terrible. :( :angry: i'm both sad and angry.
WHAT AN ARSE! Did he ever treat you badly too, geese! I would wanna kill him lol, jk. But, you have Bono and everybody here to make you happy:):D YAY!
Oh, I would be angry too! :hug:

Babydoll said:

The creep.

Bah. It's his loss. :hug:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom