Bono's scar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
During a JT or Lovetown show a light stand fell and struck him across the chin--Bono's cousin AJ Rankin who trailed behind B with the cords etc. said there was blood everywhere & B was taken to the hospital for stitches. Bono said later that if he was in Duran Duran, he would have been thrown out because of the scar. :wink:

Not quite right. It was during the final rehearsal for the JT tour, which was starting the next night. He was holding the spotlight on the Edge during Bullet and walking backwards as he did so (bad idea), and he fell backwards off the stage. The spotlight, which he was still holding, struck him on the chin. He had a few stitches and did the show the next night with the cut covered in make-up.

I was getting ready to get my U2 Encyclopedia out--I was close. Thanks for setting us straight. There was something recently on U2.Com about B's cousin talking about the incident and he sort of blamed himself. He thought he wouold be out of a job after that--but he's still with the tour.

You could catch him as he fell Bri&see where your hands end up.............

biff said:
Maybe he felt he should have warned B that the edge of the stage was rapidly approaching. Ooops!

actually it was his job but the lights were out so he couldn't see anything either.

i don't know if I'm allowed to quote from u2.com but here it is, AJ story:

Not long after I had gone out on the road with them, at the start of The Joshua Tree tour in Tempe, Arizona, Bono was experimenting with the big hand-held spotlight that he used to turn on the audience. He turns round and tells Willie (Williams, Show Designer) to turn out all the lights – and, as he did, he fell off the stage, landing on Fraser McAllister, his guitar tec at the time.
Bono was bleeding big time. I think he got seven or eight stitches in the chin. I remember sitting at the back of the stadium with Steve Iredale and crying. I thought my tour was over! Technically, it was my job to catch him and I felt I had failed in my responsibility. But the lights were out and I couldn’t see him when he fell down the hole in the stage. The light hit him in the chin and cut him open. But my tour of duty continues and over the years my job has become less hazardous – for example we now have radio mikes so I don’t have to run around paging out cable to him wherever he is on the stage. I tell you, this wasn’t an easy job – especially if he decided to climb off the stage and into the audience!

Here is another quote were he mentions how he warns Bono when he hangs over the edge too far :wink:

What Are You Doing During the Show ?
Looking after Bono. I’m closer to him in the show than anyone - ever! I am his second eyes and ears, and I try and stay in his shadow. I try to preempt all his movements so he doesn’t accidentally fall off the stage. There’s nothing like a double tap on the shoe to say, ‘Easy - you’re hanging over the edge.’
As well as this I am also a kind of waterboy: I carry the water, towels, spare radio mike – whatever he needs I carry it. If I haven’t got it, I call Rocco and he is usually there within seconds. He’s a Trojan.

greety said:
Here is another quote were he mentions how he warns Bono when he hangs over the edge too far :wink:

What Are You Doing During the Show ?
Looking after Bono. I’m closer to him in the show than anyone - ever! I am his second eyes and ears, and I try and stay in his shadow. I try to preempt all his movements so he doesn’t accidentally fall off the stage. There’s nothing like a double tap on the shoe to say, ‘Easy - you’re hanging over the edge.’
As well as this I am also a kind of waterboy: I carry the water, towels, spare radio mike – whatever he needs I carry it. If I haven’t got it, I call Rocco and he is usually there within seconds. He’s a Trojan.

He must have been sleeping on the job in Adelaide during the Lovetown tour not to mention a few other shows.

Unfortunately, bad things happen to bands when they're on tour. It was terribly unfortunate that that happened to Bono when they were on tour. It's got to be a band's worst nightmare. I remember when they had to cancel some time on the JT tour because Bono had a sore throat and lost his voice.

verte76 said:
Unfortunately, bad things happen to bands when they're on tour. It was terribly unfortunate that that happened to Bono when they were on tour. It's got to be a band's worst nightmare. I remember when they had to cancel some time on the JT tour because Bono had a sore throat and lost his voice.

I didn't know that. I know they cancelled a few because of his shoulder when he fell (again, not when he hurt his chin). They cancelled quite a few during Lovetown because he was ill.

greety said:

did Bono fall off the stage in Adelaide too?

Yes, he was apparently excited because he got his voice back and fell off. According to what I read about the concert anyway. You can hear the crowd reaction on the boot.

Back
Top Bottom