Bono's recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
This may seem totally nerdy, but I figure I am probably not alone on this one ...

Have you ever bought a book or cd just because Bono (or one of the other guys, for that matter) said they liked it?

I admit to that. In fact, I just ready "The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things" by JT Leroy (cuz Bono said it's good). It is now one of my all time favorite books ... especially if you like Flannery O'Connor or William Faulkener type-books.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

*raises hand*

I'm guilty of doing stuff like that.... hehehe

------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

Guilty as charged! I started reading Seamus Heaney's poetry (didn't like) and Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (liked alot) after Bono said in an interview that he sometimes carries a book of Heaney's poetry and he was currently reading Haroun (a few years back). I actually like Rushdie's writing now and have read 4 of his books and just started Fury. Yeah, people do think I'm weird for doing these kinds of things, but who cares! Bono is a very smart man who always seems to be a few steps ahead of everyone else so if he mentions a particular author or book or CD, I will buy it or read it. I don't always like it or understand it but I'll give it a shot!

Oh yeah, a few months ago I read that Edge was currently listening to Sigur Ros and Coldplay and I did go buy both. I like Sigur Ros and LOVE LOVE LOVE Coldplay. After U2, the best band out there in my opinion. That is the only non-U2 CD that ever gets any play in my car. Thanks Edge!

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 01-11-2002).]

Originally posted by madonna's child:
i want to read the screwtape letters for my english term paper. but, i don't know how my teacher will react.

Girl, if I were your English teacher, you'd have an A with extra credit. Brilliant book.

smile.gif

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

*hands stretched out in front awaiting handcuffs* I confess, I bought "What's So Amazing About Grace". But I waited until fellow fans reviewed it to see if it was any good. You kind of have to question suggestions from a man that likes Destiny's Child and Neil Diamond
tongue.gif
. But I'm in the process of reading it and I like it so far.

However I also admit that I watch a lot of movies, read a lot of books, buy a lot of music that gets suggested by friends (who are not celebrities in any way). That's the way I look at it. I don't particularly buy something because "BONO" reccomended it, if my uncle had suggested "What's So Amazing About Grace" I would've bought it just the same.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by mbi16:
*hands stretched out in front awaiting handcuffs* I confess, I bought "What's So Amazing About Grace". But I waited until fellow fans reviewed it to see if it was any good.

I just got this one too ... it actually looks really good. It's not my usual style of book, but I'm a good Catholic girl and thought it would be an interesting read.

You kind of have to question suggestions from a man that likes Destiny's Child and Neil Diamond
tongue.gif

C'mon, Neil Diamond isn't that bad. *Starts singing *I Am, I Said"*

Though when I learned he liked DC, I was shocked ... I mean, all indications point to him having a sense of style and taste. But Destiny's freakin' Child. Please ...

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Wow, I hadn't seen this list. It is remarkably similar to some things that I like!!

I am reading My dark Places by James Ellroy right now. It is here at work as part of our book club and picked it up last week.

And I love Ryan Adams too.. Damn that Bono has some good taste.

Originally posted by oktobergirl:

And I love Ryan Adams too.. Damn that Bono has some good taste.

I actually started liking Ryan Adams before I knew Bono liked him ... Gold Rocks!!!

------------------
Jessica

--Bono

--Bono

p.s. That Shakespeare book was recommended to me last week by a coworker. I checked it out on Amazon and it sounds VERY complex, like you have to be a Shakespeare expert or something. Now I loved Shakespeare in High School and College but think I'd have to go back and read all his plays again to feel qualified to understand this book.

Plus it's very expensive ( 45.00!) If you like the Bard, I suggest getting it at the library.

I just can't believe this book is on Bono's favorite's list!! I don't know, I guess I didn't picture him as getting into Shakespeare's work.

I admit to buying a Television (the band) CD because I read they were an early influence on Bono.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

Yeah, I heard Adam read the English Patient. So I've tried to read it twice now, I don't think I'll ever finish it.

It's important to be well-read in case you end up sitting next to him on an airplane. Do you feel better now? Because I've taken this thing to a whole new obsessive level of not only reading what he reads and listening to what he listens to, but planning how we'll discuss it together in some future impromptu situation.

Me + Seamus Heaney = 2 degrees of separation from Bono, since I know another Irish poet who is a very close friend of Seamus'. This, you see, is part of my plan.

Sorry, I'd like to stay and chat but I've got to rush out now to my next Bono 12-step meeting.

Whoa...Bono's been listening to The Strokes? You're kidding! My dad got that CD for Christmas, and whenever we're on the road we listen to it, and I love it. XD Oh yes, not that anyone cares, but I also have Television, got it for Christmas...Marquee Moon is an awesome CD imho.

Yes, I know, the fact that Bono likes Destiny's Child is a bit...disturbing...maybe he only jokes about that???
rolleyes.gif
Other than that, though, My Bono has good tastes.
biggrin.gif

Y'know, in school, I never talk about Bono anymore. Just My Bono, and the Republic of Bono, formly known as this little nothing country in the middle of the ocean called Nauru. Long story.

Hehe...you all are too funny!

But I have to admit as so many others have done before me that I, too, have this problem. Though I don't see it really as a problem...more of an...well, yeah, a problem
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I decided that as I'm reading through the U2 bible I'm going to make a list of all the books and music it mentions and then check all these things out...so needless to say I have my reading list for at least the next 10 years! But I tend to like the things they do so I'm not sad...sometimes it's nice not to have to weed through all the crap of other books, but just to be told what to read!

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Originally posted by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen:
*raises hand*

I'm guilty of doing stuff like that.... hehehe

See ... I knew PLEBA would be the only place I could admit something like this. If I told my friends I did theis, they would stage an intervention.

------------------
Jessica

--Bono

--Bono

i want to read the screwtape letters for my english term paper. but, i don't know how my teacher will react.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

I figured out long ago since I absolutely love the lyrics that Bono writes, I probably would also like what he reads and listens to. Sure it's a bit obsessive but since I really enjoy reading and listening to music I might as well be doing it in style!

Here's a list of Bono's favorites. Got it from hotpress.com

The 2002 Hot Press Annual issue features Bono's Favourite Books and CD's of the moment.

Albums Bono has been listening to include:

As If To Nothing by Craig Armstrong

Gold by Ryan Adams

Is This It by The Strokes

White Blood Cells by The White Stripes

Love and Theft by Bob Dylan

Wonderland by The Charlatans.

As for his preferred reading, the list runs like this:

The New Testament, translated by Eugene Peterson

The Books of Wisdom, translated by Eugene Peterson

The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things by J T Leroy

My Dark Places by James Elroy

Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being by Ted Hughes

Originally posted by hotpepper:

The New Testament, translated by Eugene Peterson

only bono.
smile.gif

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

well DUH. Like, my entire book list!!!
biggrin.gif

I have a huge list of books that I want and nearly every one of them, in some way, shape or form, is related to U2, whether one was mentioned by the guys, or has been read by them, or are their favorite authors, or is about U2, or relates to U2...it's a sickness I tell ya....

my theory about bonos DC thing is that his daughters listen, well one of them (the princes) to them, so may be he says it to be in there good books, its like if your dad was famous hed be nice about u2 and try and get near them as like a favour to you so that you have contact with them.
i have actually gave them a chance now and discoverd i like beyonces passion.

but anyway back to u2
smile.gif
i tried reading the ground beneath her feet but gave up i dont like that kind of writing, i have all his taste when it comes to who he listend to when he was growin up, springsteen etc all the rock music he mentions now=rem etc but the alternative stuff i havnt heard.id go out and get a book or movie he liked but not music.

im gonna start a thread on the movies he likes,im curious now
smile.gif

------------------
"was she askin for it,was she askin nice ,if she was askin for it,did she ask you twice"

Destiny's Child are insanely talented. It's not my particular style of music, but they got where they are through pure hard work and talent. They're not some corporate creation like so many people in that genre. They've got the real thing. They're like the Supreme's of the 21st century except better and Beyonce actually writes or co-writes and produces many of the songs. I probably wouldn't buy a record, but I do recognize the huge talent that they are. They've got soul. They're fun, refreshing. I totally get why Bono likes them.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-12-2002).]

back to the original topic of this thread (i found it kind of late)...

Can anyone tell me other books that the other members of the band have ever mentioned reading and liking?

I am, of course, interested in what Adam reads, but believe it or not, I am interested ALSO in what Edge and Larry read and like.

So I know there are people out there with insider info. Post it!

Guilty!!

I bought The Screwtape Letters!!

And have "The Heart is deceitful above all things" on my Amazon.com wishlist!

hehehehe
wink.gif

Guilty
smile.gif

I now own three Salman Rushdie books (haven't read them all yet) I do actually like his books which most people find weird. There are other things too so yes your not the only one lol

Back
Top Bottom