Bono's Phone Message

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderlusting48

The Fly
I dunno if this is the right forum for this, but...

I have recently acquired a copy of what appears to be a phone message that Bono left on the author of Into the Heart's machine. Yup, the infamous..."There was something I meant to do today, and I think it was you" one. Can anyone tell me the story behind this one? I have no idea where it came from, but Bono sounds so sleepy and adorable, and rather gruff as well. :drool: There's also a Macphisto message at the end...anybody know what was going on with these?

The Macphisto message is from later. He called her twice.

(can't believe I am posting in PLEBA! lol)

But I have some insight into this, although Ali Envy is the one Bono called so she probably has more details....

The mp3 of the call can be found on this page:

http://www.u2tributeband.com/photos.html

Look under the picture of Macphisto half way down on the right side of the page....

Basically, our tribute Band, Elevation Canada, was doing a full authentic Zoo Tv show recreation of the Dublin, August 28, 1993 show. We had an idea to call Bono during the show, during the Macphisto portion before Ultraviolet. Kim, one of the organizers of InTO the Heart left her number with Principle Management to ask Bono if he would do this.

Unbelievably, Bono actually called her phone TWICE....the first time leaving a message (sounds like he is half asleep....) for her and the 2nd time leaving a message as Macphisto...quite amazing he would call...he must have gotten the message mixed up because he left the message as Macphisto but it was very cool nonetheless and Kim was on cloud 9 (or still is - imagine Bono calling you twice!!).

She only received the message an hour before the show so we didn't have time to retrieve it and play it for everyone at the show unfortunately....

Quite an amazing event that I am sure Ali Envy (Kim) can shed some more light on....

Cheers,
Brady
http://www.u2tributeband.com

Thanks for the link! It's awesome I love it. Now who has recorded that message and played it on one of their friends voicemail, raise your hands!
I'm going to record it as my alarm clock on my phone. It was "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire, you know, to get that adrenaline excitement feeling of the beginning of the latest concert, well I love that song to "wake up" to. Ahh the love of technology. I love being a person of the millenium. One can only imagine what it's going to be like in say 20 years- whoa. I can't even imagine life without a cell phone.

preciousstone said:
Now who has recorded that message and played it on one of their friends voicemail, raise your hands!

:wave: I have! :hyper:

Originally posted by preciousstone
I can't even imagine life without a cell phone.

I don't even have a cell phone. :reject:

Thanks so much for the backstory, bradyvox! I'd heard a bit of how/why he called but not in that much detail. :hyper: I melt every time he says "...and I think it was you!" :drool:

Awesome message!!! I have an obsession with Macphisto myself...Let's be honest here//

:love:
I had this mp3, but I only knew half of the story!!! I didn't know about the show remake!

awesome story, awesome phonecalls, and a quote for life! :cool:

am I the only one who would go nuts knowing bono called twice and i missed it both times (although the message are pretty cool and i wouldnt know what to say anyway)...

:ohmy:
pppffffttttt :lmao:

That's so suggestive, and he wasn't trying to be for a change.

The MacPhisto part is...creepy as hell. Really, really creepy.

Back
Top Bottom