Bono's on CSPAN right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He was brilliant! Just brilliant, and I am not kidding. It should be on Cspan again. Keep checking.

"Bono, Musician, DATA (Debt, AIDS and Trade in Africa), United Kingdom"

Can they never get this right? IRELAND.

I came upon a broadcast last night. Didn't get to see Bono that much, but waited it out and saw they let him make the concluding comments. I thought the woman leading the panel was scary. :ohmy:

Anyone else wonder about the puzzle that Bono is ... here we see him on stage singing and the next minute he's on a panel with world leaders? I think Edge once said, "He's the nicest group of guys you'd ever want to meet." :)

faithingrace said:

Not to sound too teacherish but isn't Ireland officially part of the UK?

No. Northern Ireland is. Ireland is an independently country and is part of the European Union. Bono is from Ireland.

ramblin rose said:

No. Northern Ireland is. Ireland is an independently country and is part of the European Union. Bono is from Ireland.

Yeah this kind of mistake by a public news source giving info to the masses is a disgrace, and a pet peeve of mine. How can the uninformed ever learn correctly if the officials can't get it right? I remember once on CNN they were discussing Australia and put a graphic of the AUSTRIAN flag in the background :der:

Also on this subject is the recent proliferation of functional illiteracy into business printouts such as the error of using an apostrophe when it should be plural

example: car's for sale!

NO, it's cars, it's plural, the apostrophe would denote OWNERSHIP such as the car's tires are new

I was in a store once and somebody printed out a sign that said CAKE MIX'S $1! Argh! It's supposed to be CAKE MIXES, and no apostrophe!! It has sadly become a common mistake in recent years but when businesses use it in printouts people won't even know it's wrong :banghead:

The 's means BELONGING TO, not that there are more than one, that should just be adding an s with no apostrophe.

Such as:

The cats are eating their food. (NO APOSTROPHE just add s to make it plural)

The cat's tail is fluffy (APOSTROPHE denotes ownership)

The only other time an ' should be used is in words that are contractions, like don't, shouldn't, they're, etc.

Okay English lesson over.

Last edited:
I just caught this program. It's quite impressive that he is the company of the world leaders on that stage. It's amazing the respect he is given and that he gives. I love the way he talks about the issue. It's from the heart and that's what people see :)

U2Kitten said:

Yeah this kind of mistake by a public news source giving info to the masses is a disgrace, and a pet peeve of mine. How can the uninformed ever learn correctly if the officials can't get it right? I remember once on CNN they were discussing Australia and put a graphic of the AUSTRIAN flag in the background :der:

Also on this subject is the recent proliferation of functional illiteracy into business printouts such as the error of using an apostrophe when it should be plural

example: car's for sale!

NO, it's cars, it's plural, the apostrophe would denote OWNERSHIP such as the car's tires are new

I was in a store once and somebody printed out a sign that said CAKE MIX'S $1! Argh! It's supposed to be CAKE MIXES, and no apostrophe!! It has sadly become a common mistake in recent years but when businesses use it in printouts people won't even know it's wrong :banghead:

The 's means BELONGING TO, not that there are more than one, that should just be adding an s with no apostrophe.

Such as:

The cats are eating their food. (NO APOSTROPHE just add s to make it plural)

The cat's tail is fluffy (APOSTROPHE denotes ownership)

The only other time an ' should be used is in words that are contractions, like don't, shouldn't, they're, etc.

Okay English lesson over.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa71 said:
I just caught this program. It's quite impressive that he is the company of the world leaders on that stage. It's amazing the respect he is given and that he gives. I love the way he talks about the issue. It's from the heart and that's what people see :)

It gets really tiresome to hear others say he's the "political whipping boy" etc. He's the voice and face of the commoners. Here in America we are always told that our congressman, etc. are our voice but they are not. Bono talks our talk and he is our voice with the hope that people like us will rally with him and make the changes that are necessary. Like he said we our the generation that can make a difference.:heart:

Last edited:
HA HA, I just taught the apostrophe lesson on Thursday, the kids looked very perplexed. They think whenever there is an s on the end of a word there must be an ' too. By the way a great and, yes, actually interesting book on punctuation is "Eats Shoots and Leaves".

By the way thanks for setting me straight on the UK thing, I must have short circuited there for a moment.:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom