Bono's Labour Party Speech 9/29/04

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've just the seen the speech and he was Brilliant!! He is so well informed and knowledgable. He had notes but most of what he said came from the heart. And he looked fantastic!

nurse chrissi said:
:drool:
Is it just me or is the man getting better looking?

No honey, it's not just you- he is getting better looking by the day!

Like a fine wine.....................

He just gets better with time :drool:

3bf424ce.jpg

CNN headline news just had a feature piece on rock stars and politics featuring Bono - showed a small piece of the Labor Party speech along with clips from the RNC and the DNC
I bet they will replay it as headline news recycles itself pretty much on the hour:wink:

nurse chrissi said:
CNN headline news just had a feature piece on rock stars and politics featuring Bono - showed a small piece of the Labor Party speech along with clips from the RNC and the DNC
I bet they will replay it as headline news recycles itself pretty much on the hour:wink:

I just got an email from the WAC of Oregon telling me that for $500 I can have a front row seat and go to a reception/pic op for Bono. Riiiiiiiiight.

Last edited:
1) Bono looks really great in front of a magenta background. I wish I could comment about the quality of his speech, but I haven't seen it as I'm still downloading it...

2) Someone on the u2bloodredskyhub recorded the BBC broadcast in dvd quality and is sharing it with me. If you register at www.u2bloodredskyhub.com, you will be able to get the file from me. (It is way too big to email, so don't even bother asking...)

3) The webcast is archived here: http://www.labourconference2004.ukcouncil.net/ Or at least, it says it is. I can't get the thing to work. There is no direct link either, so you'll have to find your way to the archive section.

4) [singing and jumping around the room...] I'm going to see Bono in Portland, I'm going to see Bono in Portland... ;)

u2granny said:

I just got an email from the WAC of Oregon telling me that for $500 I can have a front row seat and go to a reception/pic op for Bono. Riiiiiiiiight.

Question: If we are not willing to pay $500 for these things, who is?! And how do I become one of them? :eyebrow:

drealynn42 said:

Question: If we are not willing to pay $500 for these things, who is?! And how do I become one of them? :eyebrow:

The offer was made to members. I just spent over $500 on a plane ticket and car rental. Gonna have to pass on this.

u2granny said:

The offer was made to members.

lol, I meant "how do I become an insanely rich person that would be interested in shelling out $500 to have dinner with someone I probably never even heard of before the card came in the mail?" :)

drealynn42 said:

lol, I meant "how do I become an insanely rich person that would be interested in shelling out $500 to have dinner with someone I probably never even heard of before the card came in the mail?" :)

Ahhhhh. I get it now.

Thanks for the pix but you know, no offence intended, they don't do him justice.

I watched the whole speech which lasted about half an hour and I have to say he looks even better in a live broadcast then in photographs... He was totally awesome. He still has that glint in his eye that he had during his Joshua Tree tour and that discreet half smile like he's thinking something funny but doesn't want to say it. (Not when he was talking about serious issues but when he was joking with the audience).

His speech was amazing. He is so well informed. The man deserves some kind of recognition for his efforts..

...(are you listening Queen Elizabeth??).....

Yeah, seriousness apart, he was beautiful..:drool:

Yes, he could be given an honorary knighthood. He would not be allowed to use the title "Sir". (I would not be surprised if he had been approached quietly about this already, and had turned it down. Some people do. Many Irish people would have decidedly mixed feelings about this "honour".)

youvedonewhat said:
He was totally awesome. He still has that glint in his eye that he had during his Joshua Tree tour and that discreet half smile like he's thinking something funny but doesn't want to say it. (Not when he was talking about serious issues but when he was joking with the audience).

Do you know what cracked me up when I was watching this? How every time Bono made a joke that usually gets a huge response (I'm thinking of his speech in Toronto, where the crowd kept leaping to its feet to scream and bonk those noise makers together...), the camera would cut to the audience, and they would politely golf clap. I mean, I've heard the British are reserved, but no kidding!

And about Bono being knighted, I believe he has said in the past that he would not be interested in a British knighthood because of political tensions in Ireland. Can't remember which interview that was in, but I do remember him hinting at that. And he has teased Mick Jagger about getting knighted too. Of course, he might have changed his mind over time. Maybe he would accept it now that he has been knighted in France, but I would not be surprised if he has already quietly turned it down. I would also really like him to get the US version of a knighthood, the Kennedy Center Medal of Honor, partly because he deserves it...and partly because I love the hilarious celebrity tributes they always put together. Oh, the things they could include in his biographical sketch...

Yes, a non-British citizen can be knighted. The Queen knighted Rudolph Giuliani for helping British citizens after 9/11. He can't use the title "Sir". But he's a Knight all the same.

Back
Top Bottom