Bonos Birthday Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2sangel

War Child
21 Duke Street Dublin eating a gorgonzola sandwich
Hey all!The African Well Fund is happy to announce a fundraising drive to coincide with Bonos birthday May 10th!Make a donation starting today through May 1st to help us reach our goal of the whole amount to build well in honor of Bono!We hope we can count on all U2 fans to help us reach our goal there is also an online birthday card you can sign here http://www.africanwellfund.org/birthdaywell-.html Check it out and thanks!!!!!!

wow, i just came on here to see if anyone already mentioned it. i guess i am too late! that's a good thing though. i already signed up and made a donation. i remember bono being interviewed about how important just a well was, and i really wanted to be involved back then so this was a perfect oppurtunity.

I was waiting for something like this to show up! What a better time than Bono's Birthday. I just donated and I will send it along to my family and friends. It will be exciting to see how many wells the fans can build! It sais for every 200 fans that donate just 5.00 there will be a well built! Wow that is wonderful!

And I just wanted to say it was very easy to pay with ATM card, I will try to donate a little more next paycheck too! I think Bono will be very touched by this, what a great idea!
*edited to say as it was processing I wrote this and then it didnt work:( so maybe it doesnt accept ATM, but the check worked :yes:

Last edited:
not trying to be mean or anything, don't you think it will look kind of lame that people are donating just because it's bono's birthday?

and isn't it also not a really good idea to use cards with real money attatched to them online, no matter how secure the connection is? i know nothing about internet money-exchanging, it's just what i've been told...

IWasBored said:
not trying to be mean or anything, don't you think it will look kind of lame that people are donating just because it's bono's birthday?

and isn't it also not a really good idea to use cards with real money attatched to them online, no matter how secure the connection is? i know nothing about internet money-exchanging, it's just what i've been told...

The reason doesn't really matter...it's all for a good cause. Whatever motivates people, ya know?

I've done payments for things online and personally never had a problem. :shrug:

u2sangel said:
The donation page is linked with Africares and is 100% secure this is more than about Bonos birthday it is about helping to improve peoples lives!

i know it's not just cos it's bono's birthday, it's just that i feel guilty wondering "would i even know about this or think twice if my favourite singer wasn't such a huge supporter"...it doesn't seem like a good enough reason. same reason as deciding to go to an anti-war protest based on whether it will rain or not (cos you're outside) means you should go cos you're not necessarily doing it for the right reasons. i'm probably too much of an idealist sometimes though...in reality it takes someone like bono to get a lot of people to know about aids in africa. not too many americans knew what sandinistas were when the clash titled their album that...and please don't take that as the bad comparrision that it is. and i'm not trying to insult anyone in this thread.

IWasBored~

I think I understand what you're saying, and I do understand where you are coming from. A lot of people wouldn't be aware of this problem or so concerned about helping if Bono's efforts hadn't brought it to our attention.

That is one of the reasons it is so great that Bono does all of this wonderful work though...it helps to build awareness. He's using his celebrity status to help build awareness of serious issues. If people donate solely because this is associated with Bono...well...a donation is still a donation. Kudos to Bono for having such a kind, caring soul that brings out the best in people.

Bonochick said:
IWasBored~

I think I understand what you're saying, and I do understand where you are coming from. A lot of people wouldn't be aware of this problem or so concerned about helping if Bono's efforts hadn't brought it to our attention.

That is one of the reasons it is so great that Bono does all of this wonderful work though...it helps to build awareness. He's using his celebrity status to help build awareness of serious issues. If people donate solely because this is associated with Bono...well...a donation is still a donation. Kudos to Bono for having such a kind, caring soul that brings out the best in people.

yes, and i really really like the fact that he does work really hard in support for causes. but if you're going to do this, why for bono's birthday? wouldn't you have already by now?

This might be that extra kick in the pants for people who have considered donating in the past but haven't done so yet.

Any way you slice it...it's all for a good cause. :)

when it all comes down to it, it bothers me that some people NEED that extra 'kick in the pants', that's all

edited to insert the elusive comma...

Last edited:
Bonochick said:

I don't know why...but that cracked me up...:lmao:

You made me snort my Dew. :mad: :laugh:

:shifty: funny, didn't add that comment about that sneaky comma to make anyone laugh :evil: ;)

ouch, soda up the nose is never a good feeling :no:

great idea :up:

I see this two ways: people want to wish Bono a happy birthday and try to give him something to show him how much he means to us. The donating for these wells are a terrific outlet for that means.

Also, this is a very important issue- which yes, may not be as well known in the U2 community if it weren't for Bono (although the U2 comminuty has proven to be very huminiatarian and aware). I see nothing wrong in acknowledging that Bono has shed light on the issue. Perhaps people have donated in the past - but see this as a fundraiser of sorts, to try and raise some extra money, in B's name.

:)

u2sangel said:
Yes exactly this is an opurtunity for u2 fans to be directly involved in positive change so all I am saying is don't ya wanna?!

Yeah baby I wanna!!! :yes: :hyper: :applaud:

Look, yeah I know where IWasBored is coming from. When David Duchovny jokingly asked fans to send him jade elephants for his birthday in an interview, hoardes of fans did so, and he got a real kick out of it. But also, on his birthday, every year, hundreds of fans donate to his favorite charities in his name. And for his wife's birthday, and his children's birthdays. In fact, X-Files fans have raised tens of thousands of dollars over the years for Neurofibromatosis, Inc., for which Gillian Anderson is the spokesperson.

The fact is, these people could just send a card and that would be it. They could have written letters...but they know something not every fan knows: Actions speak louder than words. So they chose to honor a person that they admire by showing them that, "Hey, I care about what they care about." We can't pay Bono back for all he's given us, not with a million birthday cards every year for the rest of his life. But we can pay him forward.

And personally, I think this gift will really, really move him.

Last edited:
I think you're all very sweet to do this but I have a question. Doesn't anybody think buying a well in his name might make him feel kind of bad, or at least uncomfortable, because he doesn't buy one himself with all his money? I know he can't start giving a lot or people would expect more and he'd end up broke, but I wonder how he'd really feel about this. I think the reason he's never acknowledged this fund is maybe because of what I said

:reject:

Don't hurt me, I'll go back to lurking:silent:

Sapphire said:
I think you're all very sweet to do this but I have a question. Doesn't anybody think buying a well in his name might make him feel kind of bad, or at least uncomfortable, because he doesn't buy one himself with all his money? I know he can't start giving a lot or people would expect more and he'd end up broke, but I wonder how he'd really feel about this. I think the reason he's never acknowledged this fund is maybe because of what I said

:reject:

Don't hurt me, I'll go back to lurking:silent:

Nah, don't go into back into lurk mode, nobody will hurt you :wave:
I don't think Bono will feel bad at all about us doing this, I think that he will feel honored, and even very proud that his hard work is doing good. It's more proof to him that his hard work is getting somewhere. We have no idea if he has used some of his own money to build a well or not, his donations are mostly kept quiet, as are any donations by the other members of the band.

I do not agree we have no idea if he has donated money for well building! And as far as Bono acknowledging us thats up to him ( remember we onlystarted this fund a few months ago)that is not why I am involved I think it will make him happy that we are providing clean water for those who do not have it!!!

Yes, I agree. U2 fans started this fund because we were inspired by Bono, we don't need any sort of acknowledgment for it.

For me personally, Bono has been an inspiration to me. Trying to raise money for wells in Africa is one way I can make more of a real difference in people's lives.

I actually have been a member of Amnesty Int'l for 15 years. and I write many letters to Congress. I am a royal pain in the ass. I think funding wells for an entire village is a way to see results of what I am doing. That's one of the things taht bugs me about emailing and calling Congress or the White House. I do it and I'll continue to , for causes that I support but sometimes I feel like I don't know how much it is helping. I want to do more. For me, it's a way to do just that.

Well, it's not like Bono has never given to charity! Are you kidding? Even though they've never been public about it U2 have done things like finance *entire* campaigns for Oxfam. They did a whole tour for Amnesty, gratis. All of the money for the tour went to Amnesty and they paid for this, all of those trips to Africa, other trips, heavens, you can't say they haven't given their own money to these causes! They just are not public about it because they don't want to discuss megabucks in public. They could but think it's better not to. So I really think this is a moot point. They've given God knows how much $$, time, effort, energy, things money can't buy as well. So I wouldn't worry about this.

Nah......he'll love this. A well in Africa for people who didn't have any access to clean water! This will save lives! There's no bad news here, only great. This wouldn't be happening if it weren't for Bono and all of his hard work. So it's to honor him. He earned it. We're helping him save lives. It's alot of happiness, and no sadness at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom